The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quiznos prices....ouch.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
It's no suprise this company is going down. I just paid $10.00 for a sandwich that's the same size as a Subway footlong. And that's just for a sandwich. Want to add chips and a drink? Add $1.25

I think it's a better tasting sandwich than anything Subway has to offer, but not worth $10.00

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I was wondering when the same realization was going to hit Starbucks -- I ordered two coffees before driving to the airport .... $12+ dollars. I was like WTF? Its coffee ... not an all-you-can-eat buffet!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It's no suprise this company is going down. I just paid $10.00 for a sandwich that's the same size as a Subway footlong. And that's just for a sandwich. Want to add chips and a drink? Add $1.25

I think it's a better tasting sandwich than anything Subway has to offer, but not worth $10.00

The Quiznos by my house is always empty. I'd speculate the owner is not making more than $12K/year.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Dear Michael John, How dare you? thou shall not question Starbuck's prices... you are not paying for coffee, you are paying for the unique experience :D
Quiznos is not a subway... they deliver a quality product, not just a sub :rofl:

BLK85

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Sep 22, 2007
South Dakota
I love Quiznos, but rarely eat there because of their prices. In my city we have so many sandwich places its not even funny. And they are all better price wise and quality than Quiznos.

I thought about starting a Quiznos at the last place I lived. But then I started going to them more and researching the store and I dont think it would be a money making venture. If they lowered their prices just a hair they would do a lot better.

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
Given the nutritional content of anything from Quizno's; the question is....why would ANYONE eat there?

ChrisS417

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 24, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I was wondering when the same realization was going to hit Starbucks -- I ordered two coffees before driving to the airport .... $12+ dollars. I was like WTF? Its coffee ... not an all-you-can-eat buffet!

Woah! Don't know if its AZ or what, here in St. Louis i just paid $1.80 for a cup of coffee. or did you get some specialty frappe late thingy?

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
They are expensive compared to Subway. I think Quizno's subs taste better but not that much better! haha Most of the Quizno's I have seen.....I don't see how they can afford to stay open? I think we all probably have seen Quizno's empty....lonely.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
They are expensive compared to Subway. I think Quizno's subs taste better but not that much better! haha Most of the Quizno's I have seen.....I don't see how they can afford to stay open? I think we all probably have seen Quizno's empty....lonely.

From what I have read and heard, Quiznos has some serious corporate problems. I have read stories where franchise owners just gave up, locked the door and walked out.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
The Quiznos by my house is always empty. I'd speculate the owner is not making more than $12K/year.

The owner probably works 14 hours a day, 7 days a week too. Or they could be like they one I just went to. Nobody in there, and 4 people behind the counter. Owner probably making $4,000 a year.

Oh yeah....and my Longhorns are spanking your Sundevils. :jiggy:

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
With most food franchises,
setting price ranges is a head office thing
(part of branding)
so the owner operators have no ability to tweak them.

Looking at positioning...
Quizno's pretty much had to target the higher end.
It would be challenging for them
(okay impossible) to compete with Subway on price.
They have 10% of the stores.

The question is...
do those target customers want subs?

I don't think so.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I hate quiznos subs. I was impressed by how they caused Subway to change thier business. That is impressive. It would be like causing McD's to change how they cook their burgers.
Unfortunately, like Kimberland alluded to, they are a fast food franchise playing to a non fast food crowd. Their target is the wannaseemrich people. Just like the people who pay $12 for starbucks:bgh:. What is hurting them, at least in our area, is the Panara breads/Atlantic Breads, have a better wannaseemrich feel to them, they are not fast food, unlike quiznos, so they appear to be better.

For me, if I want an expensive sandwich, I will just get double meat at Subway. I am a wannaseempoorwhilebecomingrich person. We are few and far between.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I rarely eat at Subway. Give me a Quiznos any day. The sandwiches are far superior in taste and quantity. Plus, I can get the size I am looking for in 2" increments. I don't eat much in the way of fast food. I may visit a Quiznos 4-5 time a year and a Subway once. So, I am not a good spokesman for them.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Interesting conversation. I avoid Subway at all cost. If I want a bland sandwich, I'll just make one at home. Give me a Quizno's any day! I don't think the price is high- when I go it's around $7 for chips, drink and a small sandwich. I could spend about that anywhere for lunch.

MikeT_Ca

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 23, 2007
I don’t understand why anyone would want to own a Subway or Quiznos.

Seem like you just end up enslaving yourself and working for minimum wage. Plus you have to pay huge setup fees for the privilege of doing so.

Just went to Quiznos the other day paid $11 and change for a sandwich chips and drink. Told myself that was the last time I go there.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Was with a friend at a Franchisee meeting a couple years back. They were pitching ok, but with enough brains you eventually started asking the right questions. Didn't buy it (literally and figuratively) because 1. Locations we know are always either empty or no more than 30% capacity. 2. Quizons pre-determined your location to avoid market saturation. The problem? Leftover locations suck. 3. The couple who showed up to serve us sandwiches and just bought theirs didn't look very happy.

From what I remember it was 70k starting + a lot more investment.

Personally, quiznos blows subway out of the water and I'll pay $7 for it. You did something to get to 10 mr double meat. ;)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I really never understood how these places survive ... the sandwiches are sub-par. I know when I make a sandwich at home, I don't put 3 paper-thin slices of meat on my bread and then load up on the lettuce. These aren't acceptable sandwiches at home; why are they acceptable to pay for?

There are so many places around here that are better alternatives and their sandwiches STACK the meat - I go into these places and the lines are wrapping around the building.

Jasons Deli (JasonsDeli.com)
Paradise Bakery

and of course, some of the locally owned places are pretty good.

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
Wasn't Subway ranked as like the #1 franchise to buy into, or in the top ten?

One would think they at least allowed their owners to make a living with such a high ranking.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My two pennies...

A friend of mine looked into opening a Quizno's franchise. After looking at the numbers they hardly made any money with the cost of their meats and supplies. I met a girl who owned 2 quizno's franchises. She worked everyday 10 hours (5 per store), said that if she would be going under if she didn't put so much money down (she had minimal bank loans) at the beginning.

I only get one thing at quizno's, its usually after I leave the gym, Black angus, large, double meat costs like $12. Gotta have that protein!

I stopped going to Subway once a Blimpie's opened up. I do find that sub prices are just getting way too high. Since when is fast food $9?

Just to toss this out as a fast food option. Red Robin burgers are great. Most people think of it as a sit down and dine. Phone it in for carry out, $8.95 comes with fries. Damn good deal for the quality of burger.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I am surprised how many people do not know of Red Robin. I was introduced to it by a friend - the fries were great and it's affordable. Good one Bio

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
Quiznos has great quality sandwiches that can't even be compared to Subway. Example, cover both store's name and show an adult menus of each, then see which products will be desired the most. Ex: ham and cheese (Subway) or mesquite chicken (Quiznos). Quiznos specialty sanwiches can't be beat. Sure, they're a bit pricier, but so what. If someone is whining about three, four dollars that can only mean one thing: they're cheap and in all honest, shouldn't be eating out.

The only reason Subway has done so well, as a whole, is customer loyalty. Since Subway was the first nation-wide sandwich franchise, it has unparallel loyalty. Of course, credit should be given to Subways headquarters for making their brand so desirable, but that doesn't say much about their product because quite frankly, it stinks. To prove the point, imagine a mom-and-pop store selling Subway's food. Well, without the Subway name, and with the generic taste, I guarantee the store would go into the red fairly soon.

Now, the business side of the house is what truly matters to investors. That being said, what Quizno's headquarter has failed to do is build mass customer loyalty. That's a lesson they should've learned from Subway. A product by itself, will not sell itself. Loyalty is what's needed for longevity. So, I don't see their pricing as the problem, I see their lack of loyalty as the main concern. Build loyalty and doors open, otherwise they close.

:blush:

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
The Subway by probably opened up around 3 or so years ago. Because of all the local competition (mainly from local establishments), they weren't usually too busy. For a while, I wondered how they stayed in business. Recently, I guess they were bought by a group of Jewish guys and now it's a KOSHER Subway. The prices have increased a little bit and now everything has to be Kosher (non-dairy cheese, kosher meats), but there is a pretty significant Jewish population in my area so they're doing pretty well now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.