The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quitting My Job

Anything related to matters of the mind

Superbia

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Oct 15, 2018
Alabama
Quitting My Job
I currently work about 75 hours a week, Monday through Friday, from 0300 to 1800. I make about 1k a week. It’s good money (for me) but it’s soul crushing. I hate working here but there’s no where else I can walk on and make money like this. So i’ve been thinking, what if I just decided to quit and work on my own thing? I can pay up on all my bills till the end of the year, and have cash leftover for daily expenses. I’ll then have 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to work at my own ventures.

Thoughts?

Awaken Study

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2020
Quitting a job without a plan or operating business that's making enough to cover your bills is not really recommended on this forum.

Since you are still on the idea stage, a job serves as the foundation to going Fastlane.

Your next step is specialized labor and specialized skill. What can you do that will increase your hourly rate?

Watch MJ's video about how to go from job to Fastlane.

I know it's tempting to jump in head first but going from idea to making money is going to take longer than 4 months. Start by working on your business on the weekends.

Here is a list of ideas

Based on your previous posts, you are around 20-22 years old. Make it your goal to be Fastlane by 30. Going Fastlane will require 5-10 years.

Working sucks but if you slow down and build a strong foundation you'll be ahead of 99% of the population in 10 years. In today's crazy environment, 4 months of living expenses is basically broke.

Trust me I quit my job with $8,000 saved and because I lacked any skills I failed. I had to get a job delivering lost airport luggage to pay my bills.

Its okay to get a job with less hours but I wouldn't stop working completely.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I agree with @Awaken Study , it is not a good plan because you haven't yet built the path.

However you have another greater option.... get a different job.

SharpeningBlade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
May 26, 2021
San Francisco, CA
I currently work about 75 hours a week, Monday through Friday, from 0300 to 1800. I make about 1k a week. It’s good money (for me) but it’s soul crushing. I hate working here but there’s no where else I can walk on and make money like this. So i’ve been thinking, what if I just decided to quit and work on my own thing? I can pay up on all my bills till the end of the year, and have cash leftover for daily expenses. I’ll then have 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to work at my own ventures.

Thoughts?

Maybe scale back a little if it's too stressful, but try to have some income to cover costs and then dont deplete your savings. You may need those savings with a large potential economic collapse on the horizon.

Superbia

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Oct 15, 2018
Alabama
Quitting a job without a plan or operating business that's making enough to cover your bills is not really recommended on this forum.

Since you are still on the idea stage, a job serves as the foundation to going Fastlane.

Your next step is specialized labor and specialized skill. What can you do that will increase your hourly rate?

Watch MJ's video about how to go from job to Fastlane.

I know it's tempting to jump in head first but going from idea to making money is going to take longer than 4 months. Start by working on your business on the weekends.

Here is a list of ideas

Based on your previous posts, you are around 20-22 years old. Make it your goal to be Fastlane by 30. Going Fastlane will require 5-10 years.

Working sucks but if you slow down and build a strong foundation you'll be ahead of 99% of the population in 10 years. In today's crazy environment, 4 months of living expenses is basically broke.

Trust me I quit my job with $8,000 saved and because I lacked any skills I failed. I had to get a job delivering lost airport luggage to pay my bills.

Its okay to get a job with less hours but I wouldn't stop working completely.
Taking from this it would seem that my best course of action is to stay at my current foundation job and use my free time to learn a specialized skill. I'll take the next couple of days to research skills and see which one is a good fit for me. Thanks for the advice!

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
You should always try to concurrently transition out of your job and into business, unless your savings are so extreme and your job so bad that it would be silly to do so. That's the basic position, for many reasons, the biggest being that rent must be paid and food must be bought.

However, money is one part of a trinity. The other two parts are time and energy. If your current job saps all your spare time and energy, such that you can't physically escape, it might indicate another better course of action (such as the previous poster mentioning that maybe you couls start by improving your job in the interim).

It's worth noting that a lot of people forget that they're so trained to be part of the system that they have little basis to start from when it comes to starting out by themselves. A whole life of being told what to do leaves some people incapacitated once they gain freedom.

They quit their job and then find themselves getting out of bed at noon and playing computer games all day, like they did way back during during school Summer break, and getting nothing done. That's all they subconsciously know how to use the freedom they gain from quitting. And sadly that ends with them eventually going back to another job, getting nowhere.

For this reason it's so rarely a good idea to just quit. Way better to do like the couple in De Marco's most recent book. Quit when your job impedes your growing business. Not as some kind of statement, or wishful thinking, or lust for relief, or act of emotional incontinence.

That said, nothing wrong with taking stepping stones, switching to a job that takes less time and energy.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
I have a slightly different opinion. I quit my job and didn't have a plan - I just knew that what I was doing wasn't leading me in the direction I wanted to go.

I had more savings because I worked as an engineer for 3 years and saved every penny I could. But what's important to note is that 1 year after quitting, I've made 3x more money than I did the entire 3 years I was working and saving. I may have never made the realizations I have if I didn't quit my job, and if I was "building skills" moonlighting in the late evenings and early mornings. That shit wore me out even more, and my ideas were becoming lamer and lamer. When you're exhausted, you're not creative, you're not fun, you're more or less a zombie in a constant state of reacting to everything that's happening.

Sometimes you only know what's on the other side after you cross the bridge - and trying to preemptively create what ought to be on the other side of the bridge lends itself to a self-imposed and often times limited perspective.

You're young. Go ahead and quit the shitty job. If you fail, fail hard. Harder you fail, the more impactful the lesson you learn will be on your world view. You got nothing to lose man - if it's a deadend job you could always find another one. But maybe 1 week of clear thinking could bring about a new opportunity or vision of the future you could never have imagined while working 75h weeks.

Creativity comes from inside - if you honor yourself by allowing yourself to simply be, and not stress so much about what you OUGHT to be, you stand a chance at hearing the intuitive voice inside that will reveal to you your next step of the journey.

Take a break, pat yourself on the back, you're working your a$$ off but spinning your wheels, you're putting yourself out there, making yourself vulnerable, you're seeking advice and feedback. Don't let the "hustle culture" convince you that your only way out is to work even harder. Sometimes you need to do NOTHING so that the next thing may reveal itself.

Wtv you do - don't kick yourself or be down on yourself. You're very young - go out there and fail hard. I'll leave you with the below - this is a summary I wrote from some of the writings of @Johnny boy that really inspired me to quit being afraid of taking chances in life. I review this occasionally when fear starts creeping into my life.

1628602300221.png

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
@AceVentures
We all have different paths, and I’m not going to say quit or not. But I agree with “doing nothing” as a needed time. Every year I take at least a week to just think. Do nothing. And then I’ve found I made more money after just thinking than I ever could if I kept on the same path.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Taking from this it would seem that my best course of action is to stay at my current foundation job and use my free time to learn a specialized skill. I'll take the next couple of days to research skills and see which one is a good fit for me. Thanks for the advice!
75 hours a week is soul crushing. I agree with those that recommend to scale back if you can.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
take a job that teaches you sales
work 1/2 what you do now. put the free 1/2 into you / your new venture.
work on YOU first.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.