The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quit slacking and learn a new skill this month

Anything related to matters of the mind

Pero123

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 31, 2020
Croatia
I've been wanting to actually learn web development and later on some digital marketing but I found myself action faking and slacking more than learning.

Consider this thread my accountability thread where I make myself finish the web development course on Udemy within 15 days. Giving in at least 2 hours a day (hopefully more during weekends) it really shouldn't take more than 15.

I'm already familiar with a lot of basic stuff that goes into web development. I know HTML and I know basic CSS. I need to get better with CSS, learn JS, and master WordPress.

The course I'm taking is The Complete Web Developer Course 2.0 from Rob Percival. It only lasts for 30.5 hours and honestly, I should have finished it a long time ago.

No more slacking. Let's get busy and start getting away from the dead-end day jobs and opening up a freelance path to a new future. Work from home, be with my child and just get new skills overall.

The thread might expand to learning new skills or getting a first client etc. I would honestly love it if I could afford to enroll in Fox web school but unfortunately $10 Udemy course is all I can take right now.

So 15 days start today.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Good luck.

If you learn how to make basic websites and, from what you have written, that will all be done and dusted this month, you will just need to work out ways to generate some interest.

Use your social contacts and general walkabouts to start getting the message out there.

You need to figure out how to get a client from start to finish and all it involves to then start tweaking your processes and building from there.

More than likely you will get someone before end of Month.

You can do it. :)

Dan

PS: Forgot to mention I agree with your title. I like to learn a new thing every month.

Pero123

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 31, 2020
Croatia
Good luck.

If you learn how to make basic websites and, from what you have written, that will all be done and dusted this month, you will just need to work out ways to generate some interest.

Use your social contacts and general walkabouts to start getting the message out there.

You need to figure out how to get a client from start to finish and all it involves to then start tweaking your processes and building from there.

More than likely you will get someone before end of Month.

You can do it. :)

Dan

PS: Forgot to mention I agree with your title. I like to learn a new thing every month.

Thank you for your encouragement. I always seem to find excuses. I'm too tired from my day job, baby, etc. etc. but in reality, there is no excuse not to give at least 1-2 hours daily and even more on weekends. I already have a project in mind. My family owns a room renting business and I'll start with that as my learning project. I already have a domain and hosting(I've had it for a year now.. haven't done anything about it). I'll make sure to make that page a great one to use for my referral and try to go from there.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Ok so that sounds like a good platform to build off of.

Tourism will be a big percentage of GDP in Croatia.

If you look at where I am located, I will tell you that Croatian Tourist Ministry (whatever it comes under) has put a lot of money into Advertising Croatia in last few years in UK Papers, incentives to Travel Agencies etc etc and the result has been a 40% increase in UK tourists in last 3 years.

This year will be a bugger though due to C0VlD-19

So when Agencies look at potentially using a place for their package tours they will normally check out the website of places they have been told about.

It is all well and good having Facebook pages yet companies that just do this don't seem to understand the purpose of why they also need the website.

If you can do a good job for your family business then you have a very different proposal for B&B's, small hotels etc when you approach them.

They must be hurting right now, The next 12 months could be a very good opportunity for you to get a foot in this sector.

Dan

Pero123

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 31, 2020
Croatia
Quick update. Just cleared around 2 hours of the course. My baby got back from his grandma and I'm going to go for a walk with him. Hopefully, get another 2 hours today once I put him to sleep.

I actually need 2 hours to complete next part of the course the right way. It's the project section where I build a BCC copy.

I love the fact that I made this thread. This will help a lot with getting me to work at least 2 hours daily or 10-15 hours weekly.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
The course I'm taking is The Complete Web Developer Course 2.0 from Rob Percival. It only lasts for 30.5 hours and honestly, I should have finished it a long time ago.

I took his first web developer course years ago. It taught me a lot.

If a course is 30 hours long. I'd say plan to spend 2-3x the time to finish it. Because when you go back and forth between the lesson and your code, solve bugs, and really work at assimilating the content. It will take up far more time than lesson content itself. Good luck!

Pero123

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 31, 2020
Croatia
I took his first web developer course years ago. It taught me a lot.

If a course is 30 hours long. I'd say plan to spend 2-3x the time to finish it. Because when you go back and forth between the lesson and your code, solve bugs, and really work at assimilating the content. It will take up far more time than lesson content itself. Good luck!

I realized that. A lesson that is 45 minutes long took around 1:30h to finish. But then again I had some knowledge of HTML and CSS beforehand so that part went a bit faster.

Im going to join you on this :) Just purchased his course, im in the same situation as you so going to finally give it a good go.
I’ll join you as well. For me it’ll be c# and unity course from Udemy.

Let's get it done. We can call each other accountable.

QUICK UPDATE:

Finished another 2 hours yesterday as intended before going to sleep. Most of those 2 hours were on a 45minutes lesson. Today, I think I'll only be able to do 1 hour.

Pero123

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 31, 2020
Croatia
PS. I just pitched a sale for a simple 4-page website(even though I don't know how to do it 100% but if I do get it I'll have to learn and open a company which would be an extra motivation).

I guess you just have to start doing.

Quart-Jar

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Sep 19, 2019
PS. I just pitched a sale for a simple 4-page website(even though I don't know how to do it 100% but if I do get it I'll have to learn and open a company which would be an extra motivation).

I guess you just have to start doing.
Good shit OP

One thing I'd like to warn you about, JavaScript is not something you can learn in 30 hours. I don't say this to discourage, but to prepare you from being discouraged.

If your goal is to do web development, especially freelance, you'd be best served with HTML/CSS templates like Fox uses or WordPress. WordPress's performance is really bad in comparison to real code, but most jobs are low bandwidth enough for that to not become apparent.

I actually went full blast for 6 months studying 10-12 hours a day, eventually learned the MERN stack and other assorted goodies because I wanted to have a SWE job as my backup (last job was a factory - never again!). My plan was to start a web dev agency using Gatsby.js for websites and the MERN stack for web apps. While my websites' performance is multiple times faster than competitor WordPress sites, it's not relevant because it's hardly distinguishable.

Where code shines is building huge things that not only need to last a long time, but need to be built upon as well. Doing that with WP is like building a house of cards. Conversely, building SMB websites in code can be overkill in many cases.

If I could do it over again, I'd have started selling WP day one and followed a tutorial when I got the gig. Hindsight is 20/20.

Coding is a top tier high leverage skill, I think more people should leverage it, but it requires learning programming and development time is much, much slower when using it compared to a GUI based editor.

WP and friends are tools specifically made for building websites. If you watch a tutorial right now, you could start selling your services with a portfolio to back it up tomorrow.

Regardless, programming is an undertaking you'll get to conquer as WP requires PHP for advanced functionalities. Using WP basically improves the capabilities and efficiency of what you can do without that knowledge.

And if you're looking for the best JavaScript tutorial, look up Colt Steele's Web Development Boot camp.

Pero123

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 31, 2020
Croatia
Good shit OP

One thing I'd like to warn you about, JavaScript is not something you can learn in 30 hours. I don't say this to discourage, but to prepare you from being discouraged.

If your goal is to do web development, especially freelance, you'd be best served with HTML/CSS templates like Fox uses or WordPress. WordPress's performance is really bad in comparison to real code, but most jobs are low bandwidth enough for that to not become apparent.

I actually went full blast for 6 months studying 10-12 hours a day, eventually learned the MERN stack and other assorted goodies because I wanted to have a SWE job as my backup (last job was a factory - never again!). My plan was to start a web dev agency using Gatsby.js for websites and the MERN stack for web apps. While my websites' performance is multiple times faster than competitor WordPress sites, it's not relevant because it's hardly distinguishable.

Where code shines is building huge things that not only need to last a long time, but need to be built upon as well. Doing that with WP is like building a house of cards. Conversely, building SMB websites in code can be overkill in many cases.

If I could do it over again, I'd have started selling WP day one and followed a tutorial when I got the gig. Hindsight is 20/20.

Coding is a top tier high leverage skill, I think more people should leverage it, but it requires learning programming and development time is much, much slower when using it compared to a GUI based editor.

WP and friends are tools specifically made for building websites. If you watch a tutorial right now, you could start selling your services with a portfolio to back it up tomorrow.

Regardless, programming is an undertaking you'll get to conquer as WP requires PHP for advanced functionalities. Using WP basically improves the capabilities and efficiency of what you can do without that knowledge.

And if you're looking for the best JavaScript tutorial, look up Colt Steele's Web Development Boot camp.

Hey, thank you for the advice. I do realize I wont learn JS in 30 hours. Hell, I won't even learn html/css in 30 hours. But I'll get the grasp of it and actually learn it by doing.

Regarding the sale I pitched. It turns out it's not as simple as it looks. It has to be multilangual(which is fine but not so simple anymore) and it has to be accessibility enable following strict EU regulations since the money used for project probably comes from EU projects.

Anybody has any tips on accessibility and wordpress(is it even fully posible) or will it require full blown coding while making sure I follow every standard reagarding accessibility? @Fox

Quart-Jar

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Sep 19, 2019
Hey, thank you for the advice. I do realize I wont learn JS in 30 hours. Hell, I won't even learn html/css in 30 hours. But I'll get the grasp of it and actually learn it by doing.

Regarding the sale I pitched. It turns out it's not as simple as it looks. It has to be multilangual(which is fine but not so simple anymore) and it has to be accessibility enable following strict EU regulations since the money used for project probably comes from EU projects.

Anybody has any tips on accessibility and wordpress(is it even fully posible) or will it require full blown coding while making sure I follow every standard reagarding accessibility? @Fox
If that's all the functionality you need, it wouldn't be too hard in JS, just have a CMS set up with the different languages you support, then use a select element to change a global variable which is checked before rendering the text. It could probably be done in vanilla just fine, especially if you know es6.

Accessibility is a bitch, but just look up a tutorial and it'll show you some gotchas and grunt work.

That being said, solutions like this are USUALLY already packaged and ready for use by some kind souls in the open source community.

Here's what I found for WP in one minute:

If you're gonna try to figure the code out and soldier through, I'll tell you from personal experience it's completely 100% doable, but it's hell learning that fast with a client on your back to boot. Really lights a fire under your a$$!

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
I've been wanting to actually learn web development and later on some digital marketing but I found myself action faking and slacking more than learning.

Consider this thread my accountability thread where I make myself finish the web development course on Udemy within 15 days. Giving in at least 2 hours a day (hopefully more during weekends) it really shouldn't take more than 15.

I'm already familiar with a lot of basic stuff that goes into web development. I know HTML and I know basic CSS. I need to get better with CSS, learn JS, and master WordPress.

No more slacking. Let's get busy and start getting away from the dead-end day jobs and opening up a freelance path to a new future. Work from home, be with my child and just get new skills overall.

The thread might expand to learning new skills or getting a first client etc. I would honestly love it if I could afford to enroll in Fox web school but unfortunately $10 Udemy course is all I can take right now.

So 15 days start today.
I was a similar position at the beginning of the pandemic. I enrolled in a Udemy course on day 1, did about a 25% of it and then realized I learn better by doing so I just jumped in with both feet and started figuring stuff out. Fast forward 4 months and I've made $2,400 so far.

Here's my progress thread: EXECUTION - To Those Panicked/Discouraged by the PANDEMIC (or New to FLF)

These threads made a significant difference:

Pero123

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 31, 2020
Croatia
Just a quick update before sleep.

I went through another hour of the course but decided to stop there. Not because I don't like it or don't intend on finishing it but because I see many more opportunities for WordPress development right now.

I got approved on Upwork and I want to get the cash rolling in and the best way to do that right now is to learn WordPress. Just finished an hour of 5 hours long tutorial on WordPress while working on my own website alongside.

Once I'm done with my website and I learn enough to make simple WordPress websites I'll return to the course.

I figured I learn best by doing. I want to get the basics under my belt and start getting some simple jobs. Once I finish a couple of simple jobs I'll start cold calling /e-mailing prospects and get bigger projects.

Pero123

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 31, 2020
Croatia
UPDATE:

I've been putting in at least an hour daily into learning WordPress and Elementor. Basically watching tutorials + googling when I get stuck. I've been making and remaking a page for my family business while learning.

Sobe Lipe – Just another WordPress site

In case anyone wants to keep track of how I'm doing :D
Obviously it's not nearly over yet as I'm still learning. None of the links besides menu work, pictures have to be swapped, posts written, and header/footer made.
Right now I'm in a process of making a color palette to use for different things on the page so I can replicate the same on other pages.

I've been trying to find a simple gig on Upwork but everyone expects a complex site that I'm not comfortable bidding on just yet. I'll keep looking and hopefully get something easier to get my foot in the door all whilst making my page so I can add it to the portfolio once done.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
My brother in law knows a rich lawyer who needs a website. He referred him to me saying that I “do websites” a few days ago. Then my brother in law saw my website that consisted of just a landing page. :clench:

He told me to make an example of what I can do so the lawyer would want to use my services. I had no idea what I could do so I just kinda did it.

I spent like 20 hours yesterday (literally 8am-4am with a 2 hour break). I’m still not done but it’s presentable. I’ll finish it this weekend and post the link in my progress thread.

The best way to learn is to just get a customer and figure it out as you go along.

Pero123

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 31, 2020
Croatia
My brother in law knows a rich lawyer who needs a website. He referred him to me saying that I “do websites” a few days ago. Then my brother in law saw my website that consisted of just a landing page. :clench:

He told me to make an example of what I can do so the lawyer would want to use my services. I had no idea what I could do so I just kinda did it.

I spent like 20 hours yesterday (literally 8am-4am with a 2 hour break). I’m still not done but it’s presentable. I’ll finish it this weekend and post the link in my progress thread.

The best way to learn is to just get a customer and figure it out as you go along.
That's what I'm trying to accomplish, all whilst not tainting my Upwork profile. So Unless it's a really easy task that I'm sure I can pull off, I'll continue learning till around 10th this month and just bid after that and figure it on the go.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
That's what I'm trying to accomplish, all whilst not tainting my Upwork profile. So Unless it's a really easy task that I'm sure I can pull off, I'll continue learning till around 10th this month and just bid after that and figure it on the go.
You got this bro. The hardest part is getting customers. The work is easy. To get paid to use elementor and Wordpress is so easy it feels like cheating.

Quart-Jar

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Sep 19, 2019
It's extremely hard to get a client online without a portfolio. There's no reason to trust you and so little scarcity of devs willing to work for beginner-level cheap. Most self taught developers need to do some free work for anyone who can make them look good before they are taken seriously, and rightly so.

Your family's business is one, see if you can get two more. Your personal website doesn't count, unfortunately, you have to be able to showcase it on your site.

Friends and friends of friends are best, but you can hit up nonprofits and charities, or if you just finished a tutorial you can host the website, change the details, and say it's a real company that paid you. And like you said, learning is best done by doing.

Pero123

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 31, 2020
Croatia
It's extremely hard to get a client online without a portfolio. There's no reason to trust you and so little scarcity of devs willing to work for beginner-level cheap. Most self taught developers need to do some free work for anyone who can make them look good before they are taken seriously, and rightly so.

Your family's business is one, see if you can get two more. Your personal website doesn't count, unfortunately, you have to be able to showcase it on your site.

Friends and friends of friends are best, but you can hit up nonprofits and charities, or if you just finished a tutorial you can host the website, change the details, and say it's a real company that paid you. And like you said, learning is best done by doing.
I'm building a portfolio of my own websites. I'll monetize those websites later on. After family business, I'll make a blog page about accounting and finance in my country(where I'll offer my accounting services) as there isn't really much a common man can learn about it online. I'll probably make my portfolio WebDev site after those two where I'll showcase my previous two. If I manage to get couple of side jobs in the meantime I'll make sure they consent to them being on my website(for a discount IF NEEDED).

It's a rocky journey but I'll make it. I made up my mind. And thanks to all of you who comment here and hold me accountable I will not give up this time.

StillGrindin'

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 19, 2018
Toronto Canada
I find that the problem with these Web Developer courses is that they are far too light on the meat and potatoes. It gives you a basic overview, but it leaves you a bit dead in the water. I went over the CSS part of the course and didn't see anything about Flexbox or Grid, which is a real game changer when it comes to workflow. Also didn't see any mention of SASS.

I too bought a similiar course like you, clocking in around 50 hours. The Full Web Developer Bootcamp course by Angela Yu. The CSS section of the course left a lot to be desired imo, and I didn't like how responsive web design got offloaded onto the Bootstrap framework. I believe that a framework is a tool, not the foundation. So I personally changed gears and picked up this course by Brad Traversy

This took me to a whole 'nother level. Then I picked up this bad boy right after.

Decided that it is better to build a strong foundation in the basics (HTML, CSS, Javascript) than to learn a little bit of everything.

Pero123

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 31, 2020
Croatia
I find that the problem with these Web Developer courses is that they are far too light on the meat and potatoes. It gives you a basic overview, but it leaves you a bit dead in the water. I went over the CSS part of the course and didn't see anything about Flexbox or Grid, which is a real game changer when it comes to workflow. Also didn't see any mention of SASS.

I too bought a similiar course like you, clocking in around 50 hours. The Full Web Developer Bootcamp course by Angela Yu. The CSS section of the course left a lot to be desired imo, and I didn't like how responsive web design got offloaded onto the Bootstrap framework. I believe that a framework is a tool, not the foundation. So I personally changed gears and picked up this course by Brad Traversy

This took me to a whole 'nother level. Then I picked up this bad boy right after.

Decided that it is better to build a strong foundation in the basics (HTML, CSS, Javascript) than to learn a little bit of everything.
How happy are you with the results you got?

What my aim now is to get some upwork Jobs so I can support my learning. For example I need domains, I need ads budget I need course budget.

StillGrindin'

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 19, 2018
Toronto Canada
How happy are you with the results you got?

What my aim now is to get some upwork Jobs so I can support my learning. For example I need domains, I need ads budget I need course budget.

I'm pretty happy with the results so far from the first course. I'm able to build a nice looking site minus Javascript from scratch. It's not painless, but that comes with practice. I think you'd be really surprised how much you can learn, how fast, and what you can accomplish. Brad Traversy shows ways to optimize workflow which is important if you want to freelance.

On the first project, he teaches how to organize CSS into classes. Let me show you some example code from the second project.

* Button */
.btn {
cursor: pointer;
display: inline-block;
padding: 10px 30px;
color: #fff;
background-color: #28a745;
border: none;
border-radius: 5px;
}

.btn:hover {
opacity: 0.9;
}

.btn-primary, .bg-primary {
background: #28a745;
}
.btn-secondary, .bg-secondary {
background: #0284d0;
}
.btn-dark, .bg-dark {
background: #333;
}
.btn-light, .bg-light {
background: #f4f4f4;
color: #333;
}

.btn-outline {
background: transparent;
border: 1px solid #fff;
}

So once you have your CSS intelligently organized, you can just plug and play in your HTML. It really speeds up your workflow once you begin to see web design in this manner, putting everything into classes.

Zooman009

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 29, 2020
Utah, USA
For the last year, I have stagnated in my learning, but this month I finally chose to sit down and learn some graphic design work. With Inkscape, and free YouTube "How to's" I've learned a lot so far, and hope to be somewhat good by the time that school starts again.

Pero123

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 31, 2020
Croatia
Hey everyone. I did end up learning a new skill. But I'm not focusing on it. Instead, I opened my own accounting company as I am an accountant by trade. I was going to combine both. Web dev and accounting. But with my daily job which I quit this month(doing the 1 month notice period) and so far extremely big growth in my accounting company I just don't have time to chase other things such as Web dev and/or DM. This is probably not the best thread to be writing about this but I wanted to give an update.

So goals 2021.
  • Quit job(done)
  • Save up 3 months of expenses(done)
  • Renovate and furnish office behind my house(right now my office is within the house which is not really convenient) - This will eat up half of my revenue for this year but I make up for it with the daily job I had for half a year
  • Get 20 clients by the end of Q3(I'm at 10 currently with 2 more pending for May or June)
  • Once the office is done and I'm fully settled and have full 8 hours to work on my business, my plan is to start aggressively market in both accounting and web development(I even have people to outsource web dev in case I don't have time for it)
Well, that's it for this year's plans and goals.

Talk to you later. Probably on a different thread. :)

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Purchased web dev course by colt steele and angela yu, javascript course by jonas schmedtmann and react and vue courses as well. Hoping to become better at web dev by the end of the year. :)

Pero123

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 31, 2020
Croatia
Purchased web dev course by colt steele and angela yu, javascript course by jonas schmedtmann and react and vue courses as well. Hoping to become better at web dev by the end of the year. :)
I loved Jonas courses. They are full of practical examples.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Did you manage to get any side jobs/freelancing work?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.