The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should i learn a skill or go to university? Confused.

Anything related to matters of the mind

daftypunk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 29, 2020
Asia
My parents are hell-bent on me going to university, and i want to go to.
I most likely will go to one, but i am a bit confused.

I believed i could get into a Top-100 uni with a scholarship and I was completely depending on my SAT score to get me into a great university with full scholarship/partial.
But its become quite difficult now since its very likely the SAT wont happen in October. My GPA is bad, because i didn't really care about studies in my first year
of high school. But i also have done a paid marketing internship and have a'lot of extra curriculars.

So, i have started studying nearly 6-8hours/day (SAT and highschool).

But 6-8 hours is alot of studying. Especially for a test that may not happen.

I can spent those hours learning web design(already know basic HTML and CSS) and copy writing and start doing freelance work to earn money.

So, what do you say i should do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
You should do what you want the most.

Gepi

In it to win it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jul 3, 2018
Germany

I believed i could get into a Top-100 uni with a scholarship and I was completely depending on my SAT score to get me into a great university with full scholarship/partial.
But its become quite difficult now since its very likely the SAT wont happen in October. My GPA is bad, because i didn't really care about studies in my first year
of high school. But i also have done a paid marketing internship and have a'lot of extra curriculars.

I can spent those hours learning web design(already know basic HTML and CSS) and copy writing and start doing freelance work to earn money.

This question is really hard to answer, we know really nothing about your background and your goals. Agree with the poster before me that you should do what you want the most.
How do you find that out. Picture yourself 5 years in the future. How should your future look like? Are you actively doing something to make your situation better for this future? Are you somebody who will do what it takes to make something happen, to create, to create value especially, to work your a** off and won't be stopped by any setback? Then you will be successful eventually.

I think your parents know you well, so they probably have something good for you in mind.
MJ DeMarco went to university, and I am sure it did not hurt his critical thinking skills, nor his ability to understand finances or marketing.
I am going to University even though I am also freelancing, but I have also built some serious time management skills over the last years so I can handle both simultaneously. I am really glad I am doing both, learned a ton about self-organizing (learning at a remote university which comes with it's own challenges) and have managed to improve and optimize almost every aspect about my biz.

So, if you don't really know where you want to go, it does not really matter, right? So either you:
- follow the advice of somebody who is a little wiser, has your good in mind and do what he/she says
- or do what you think will benefit the most for your future self.
Really, really ask yourself what would be the better option and if they maybe overlap...as my example shows, you can absolutely learn (not study-related) new skills while also going to university, if you have the drive to make it happen.

Also, what is keeping you from going to university in the IT-field? You can combine the knowledge you already have and want to gain with a degree.

Cheers

Last edited:

Vutomi

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 20, 2020
South Africa, Tzaneen
This question is really hard to answer, we know really nothing about your background and your goals. Agree with the poster before me that you should do what you want the most.
How do you find that out. Picture yourself 5 years in the future. How should your future look like? Are you actively doing something to make your situation better for this future? Are you somebody who will do what it takes to make something happen, to create, to create value especially, to work your a** off and won't be stopped by any setback? Then you will be successful eventually.

I think your parents know you well, so they probably have something good for you in mind.
MJ DeMarco went to university, and I am sure it did not hurt his critical thinking skills, nor his ability to understand finances or marketing.
I am going to University even though I am also freelancing, but I have also built some serious time management skills over the last years so I can handle both simultaneously. I am really glad I am doing both, learned a ton about self-organizing (learning at a remote university which comes with it's own challenges) and have managed to improve and optimize almost every aspect about my biz.

So, if you don't really know where you want to go, it does not really matter, right? So either you:
- follow the advice of somebody who is a little wiser, has your good in mind and do what he/she says
- or do what you think will benefit the most for your future self.
Really, really ask yourself what would be the better option and if they maybe overlap...as my example shows, you can absolutely learn (not study-related) new skills while also going to university, if you have the drive to make it happen.

Also, what is keeping you from going to university in the IT-field? You can combine the knowledge you already have and want to gain with a degree.

Cheers

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

Why not do both?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
In no time in my life I had so much time for sie hustles and businesses than in my time in university!

Make your graduation and learn skills you think they bring you to fastline.

All of my youth friends, which went to the fastline dit start that while studiing.

Well , if you want to reach the fastlane, you will do it paralle to studyi.

But only my 2cts

Travtail

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 30, 2020
Nashville
To echo what other people have been saying, you could definitely do both! If you're set on getting into a top tier university, time management will be big. If scores are important, I would maybe place more of an emphasis on that right now, while still making time to learn some hands-on skills. Once you get into the school that you're aiming for, then you can dedicate more time to learning more skills!

Just make sure you prioritize and are happy with what you choose to do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.