The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Question: Sale Closing

Seth G.

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Oct 30, 2018
Tri-State Area
I'll be hitting the phones starting next week and I wanted to know the mechanical process for getting paid on a sale closure. There's a lot of info and I'm curious what has worked for you and what pitfalls to avoid

Say I'm selling widget X as the manufacturer to Customer Y.

Customer Y is ready to buy.

Do you take card info over the phone?
Send them an invoice? Wait for a purchase order?

Once the initial paperwork is done, when do you actually request payment? Is it net 30 days? Immediately?

Background:
My biz manufactures products and sells them to businesses that resell them at a markup.

What is the typical or ideal process (The mechanics) to move from ''yes let's do business" to product to the customer and money in your account?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
You can set your own terms.

I would not give them payment terms (i.e. net 30) until you have an established relationship with them, or if you can pull credit history through something like Dun and Bradstreet.
You can ask for a deposit, they may not want to give one. That's up to you to negotiate
You should invoice at the time of shipment if you can't get paid in advance.

Don't let strict payment terms keep you from closing a big deal, but at the same time, protect yourself that someone doesn't end up with thousands of dollars worth of product and no intention of paying you.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Be careful offering credit to anyone. We had an order from a prestigious British motorcycle manufacturer who have been in business for over 120 years. They wanted some custom products with their logo on to sell on to their customers. We made them and sent them off with an invoice. It took 3 months and several phone calls to get the money out of them. The second order took closer to 4 months despite their promise of payment within 30 days.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

On their 3rd order they called us a couple of weeks after placing it asking where their delivery was. We informed them that it was still pending payment as all credit terms had been rescinded due to poor payment history. They got the hump but phoned back a week later with a credit card number. All orders were paid for in advance from then on.

Prior to that I had Universal Pictures contact me to purchase a large quantity of product for a new film promotion. It came to something like $15-20k at the time.

They wanted it urgently and I was the only company they knew who could get it for them.

I told them I wanted payment in advance and they gave me the 'This is Universal Pictures, Do you not know who we are?' spiel.

We agreed 50% up front with 50% within 30 days of delivery in the end. The goods were costing me less than 50% so worst case scenario I still wouldn't be out of pocket. They paid quite quickly if I remember correctly.

Had Fox ring up with a similar request years later but it was not a lot of money so I did give them 30 days and they paid without problem. But you never know.

A lot of companies went under during the last (current) recession and we noticed some of our suppliers getting twitchy and reducing our credit limits so they were less exposed just in case.

So that is another thing to think about. Offering credit to companies you have built a relationship with but setting limits as to how much credit you will offer.

The other option of course is to use a company that will guarantee the payment for a fee if you have to give credit terms for a big player who won't play ball otherwise. You just incorporate that fee into your price.

-

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Cancel anytime

$7 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 44% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Crush Goals: 30% Off GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Save the best: bookmark/archive ability
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • Crush Goals: 50% Off a GoalSumo.com Subscription

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.