The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

QR Codes vs. Tickets for Small Events - What's Your Take?

nopalmer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 7, 2023
QR Codes vs. Tickets for Small Events - What's Your Take?

My friend is organizing a small event to promote a new service his startup offers, and he's thinking about using QR codes instead of traditional tickets for registration and check-ins. Believe it or not, this initiated a philosophical debate with a snowball effect. Ranging from the difference between big and small businesses to the possibility of me being an outdated old-timer.

Now, I'm no event pro, and I don't attend too many of them. Okay, here's the truth - I avoid them. The point is - I'm not sure if this is a common practice nowadays. I've heard all the pros - you simplify event registration and check-ins and reduce the need for paper tickets or manual entry. But I'm wondering if it might be a bit too much for a small gathering.

On one hand, it sounds like a super convenient way to, you know, organize the entry process and save trees. But on the other hand, I can't help but wonder if some folks might find it a bit confusing, especially if they're not tech-savvy. And there's the "small event" factor too, it makes me think it's just a bit too much for the occasion.

What's your take on this? Have you been to events that used QR codes instead of tickets? Did it make things easier or more complicated?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

maximusharrison

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 1, 2021
I've actually come across events using QR codes instead of traditional tickets, and I have to say, it didn't strike me as unusual or unexpected at all. In fact, I think it's a smart move, and the size of the event or business doesn't really matter.

The process is surprisingly straightforward; look up "how to make a qr code" and follow the instructions. It's a breeze, even for those not overly tech-savvy. And if you are the "receiver", even easier, you just show it. Plus, it's great for the environment, reducing the need for paper wherever possible. I recently switched to digital business cards for similar reasons – it's all about minimizing our footprint.

I attended an event like this once, and they took it a step further. They turned it into a bit of a lottery – five lucky QR codes/tickets had a coupon for a whopping 50% discount on the promoted product. It added an element of fun and excitement to the event, making it memorable.

So, I'm all for using QR codes, whether for small gatherings or large-scale events. It's a win-win in my book – easy, eco-friendly, and can even add a dash of excitement to the mix!

Last edited:

nopalmer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 7, 2023
Okay, that actually sounds quite cool, I have to say. I'll pass this lottery idea to him, to keep in mind. I am prepared to admit I was wrong. Or at least I'll consider it.

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World
I haven't run any events, but I've gone to a fair amount.

I can't remember the last time I didn't use a QR code on my phone. It must be at least five years, so yeah, QR codes are very common.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
What is the population attending the event? If you are expecting a good amount of people over 55 I would say paper tickets all the way. If it's under, I would say QR codes.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
On a recent trip out of the country where we were staying in hotels, it was really convenient to have a QR code right there on our phone for concerts or other events.

There was one event where we HAD to have a paper printed ticket, which luckily was easy to get printed at the hotel lobby.

It would probably be good to accept either honestly, as some people just prefer to have the physical ticket or printed voucher. But denying either may cause issues for travelers.

nopalmer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 7, 2023
Oh, wow, so not only I'm outdated, but like 5 years behind, nice. And also completely wrong with my big/small logic. 30-40 people, something like that. So, QR codes for small events - a big yes, I guess. Thanks, everyone!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I use Beaconstat.com. You can customize the codes with your logo if you want. Everything is trackable.

I'm in the EV Tours & Rentals business and use them for everything I can. At first, I ran the QR codes parallel with paper. Now, our customers must use the QR codes and they love them! My customers range from 14 - 80 years old. My take on QR codes is if it makes it easier and more convenient for my customers and myself, I do it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.