The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Protecting your startup?

Johnson504

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Feb 8, 2017
United States
I am just wondering what the best way is to protect your business, especially if you do a lot of business online. I know that if I happen to be hacked and say credit card info, emails, or addresses are leaked I can be held liable, so before I go live I want to make sure I am protected as much as possible. I know that there is no such thing as perfect security, but I also know it's important to be as secure as possible. Currently I have https and antivirus software on my computer, do I need anything else? What do you all use? Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I am just wondering what the best way is to protect your business, especially if you do a lot of business online. I know that if I happen to be hacked and say credit card info, emails, or addresses are leaked I can be held liable, so before I go live I want to make sure I am protected as much as possible. I know that there is no such thing as perfect security, but I also know it's important to be as secure as possible. Currently I have https and antivirus software on my computer, do I need anything else? What do you all use? Thanks in advance.

As far as credit card security, starting out you'll definitely be using a third party for processing. Are you using Shopify, or some other marketplace system? Also, use a proven credit card merchant service like Stripe, Braintree, PayPal. You never ever want to store credit card information, your merchant service will handle this.

Also, make sure you have SSL on your page too for added security and validity.

Your websites integrity will also rely a lot on your hosting service. If you're using "bobs hosting" with a shared server and their $9.99 plan vs Amazon Web Services, you're more likely to have a breach. That being said, if you're a new ecommerce business and you've only sold 3 widgets for $4.99.. are you really a target?

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
You never ever want to store credit card information

Came here to say this. There is just no need imo. Sure you may save a few % doing it yourself. But the risk isn't worth it.

Johnson504

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Feb 8, 2017
United States
OK, perfect. I plan on using an eCommerce platform, just haven't decided which one first. I will also be sure my site has SSL installed on it. I don't plan on ever storing credit card info, but I didn't know if there was still a risk on my end if it happens to be leaked, for example if I use shopify and they are hacked, can I also be held liable for using a system that was hacked. I didn't know if I needed this for privacy or not: Best VPNs for Every Device - SecureThoughts. I have been researching for several days and I guess I am just paranoid and worried about what will happen if I am hacked. The unfortunate part is that even if I am a small startup, there is always the possibility of being hacked and I would rather be prepared at the start, rather than waiting until I think I am "big enough" to get hacked, but then I am busy and just forget all about increasing my privacy and security. I appreciate all the input though. Have any of you ever been hacked? If so what would you have done differently in the beginning? Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ultra Magnus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Oct 9, 2015
If a well-equipped group wants to hack you, they will (given enough time). Just look at last year's DNC hack - they can get you via the tech route, social engineering, or good old fashioned fraud (like stealing your phone number for 2-factor authentication). I protect my business by using strong, random passwords stored in an offline password manager (KeePassX) and 2-factor authentication. The copy-paste method for inputting passwords protects me from keyloggers as well.

Then it's a question of what platform you'll be using to set up your site. I have a WordPress site, which has a ton of plugins that increase security, such as locking out people after a set number of invalid login attempts. You can buy firewalls and cloudflare to protect yourself from DDoS attacks.

Security can really be a rabbit hole if you get too anal about it. My advice is create something first, and then you'll have enough specific info to protect yourself using relevant guides and tools. Generally speaking, before you've even started, the subject is too broad to cover, IMO.

Alexlewter

Banned - Plaguriser
Jun 6, 2017
Garden city
Execute faster and better than anyone else, using your depth of understanding of the idea. Don't wait around until after you can no longer think of anyone else to go talk to before you start working on it; start now and talk while you're in motion.

Your idea is probably not all that precious in reality. Someone else has probably had it already. The difference is, they didn't do anything about it, and you can.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.