The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Proofreading/Editing - Outsource? Software?

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Curious how many of you utilize a proofreader or a line editor for your online content. And I am talking about editing/proofreading, not ghostwriting or anything (yet).

First, is it software (e.g., Grammarly) or a person?

Did you find them on Upwork or Freelance or another site?

How do you pay them, and do you like sticking with one person who knows your material?

Do you give them a style guide re: fonts, colors, etc.?

Is there anyway to ensure your content is kept private?

Anything I am missing from the experienced folks who've written books/blogs? @Yoda @Aaron T @ChickenHawk

Thanks in advance!!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Philip Marlowe

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Didn't want this to fall off the page.

Anyone here use an editor or proofreader for online content?

Thanks!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Curious how many of you utilize a proofreader or a line editor for your online content. And I am talking about editing/proofreading, not ghostwriting or anything (yet)... Anything I am missing from the experienced folks who've written books/blogs? @Yoda @Aaron T @ChickenHawk

For my first few books, I didn't really have a proofreader, except for my husband. For my last few books, I've had a great proofreader that I pay based on the book's length. (Happily, I don't really need an editor, just someone to catch typos, repeated words, etc.) I didn't find the proofreader on a freelance site, but rather based on a personal recommendation of @COSenior, who did me a huge favor by putting me in touch with her.

I don't have a style guide, and because she's related to @COSenior, I didn't have any concerns about her keeping the content private, which was really nice.

As far as my Web site, etc., I just proofread my own stuff or have my husband take a quick look.

Alas, I fear this information hasn't been terribly helpful, but hopefully others can chime in?

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Oh drat! I meant to mention this.... I'm not sure I'd trust any editing software. Even Microsoft Word, I swear it's constantly trying to introduce mistakes into my writing, suggesting edits that I know are wrong. Maybe someday, software will be up to snuff, but I think we're a ways off yet.

ShellShock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 14, 2018
Bucharest
While ChickenHawk is right, maybe you should look into Grammarly.From what i hear, it is the best software currently available for proofreading/editing.Also try and use Hemingway app to determine how complicated your sentences are

Jason "GrandK"

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jun 17, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Curious how many of you utilize a proofreader or a line editor for your online content. And I am talking about editing/proofreading, not ghostwriting or anything (yet).

First, is it software (e.g., Grammarly) or a person?

Did you find them on Upwork or Freelance or another site?

How do you pay them, and do you like sticking with one person who knows your material?

Do you give them a style guide re: fonts, colors, etc.?

Is there anyway to ensure your content is kept private?

Anything I am missing from the experienced folks who've written books/blogs? @Yoda @Aaron T @ChickenHawk

Thanks in advance!!!

I use Grammarly since it has a plagiarism detector and I hire upwork writers. As per editing, I find that simply reading the text out loud helps to edit my work. And like anything, the more writing/editing you do, the more proficient you will get.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I use Grammarly premium for proofreading & editing my work as well as any written work I've outsourced. It's not perfect, but it certainly helps, primarily because I'm not an expert writer.

But like all software, it will sometimes recommend fixes that suck so you have to be active with it and not just assume it's right.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Oh drat! I meant to mention this.... I'm not sure I'd trust any editing software. Even Microsoft Word, I swear it's constantly trying to introduce mistakes into my writing, suggesting edits that I know are wrong. Maybe someday, software will be up to snuff, but I think we're a ways off yet.
Microsoft Word is truly awful at proofreading. It doesn't understand gerunds, so marks them as errors when you use them as subjects, and it frequently gets plurals wrong. Those are just my latest pet peeves.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
For my first few books, I didn't really have a proofreader, except for my husband. For my last few books, I've had a great proofreader that I pay based on the book's length. (Happily, I don't really need an editor, just someone to catch typos, repeated words, etc.) I didn't find the proofreader on a freelance site, but rather based on a personal recommendation of @COSenior, who did me a huge favor by putting me in touch with her.

I don't have a style guide, and because she's related to @COSenior, I didn't have any concerns about her keeping the content private, which was really nice.

As far as my Web site, etc., I just proofread my own stuff or have my husband take a quick look.

Alas, I fear this information hasn't been terribly helpful, but hopefully others can chime in?

Thanks for the shout-out!

Philip Marlowe

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Thank you all so much. I'm early in the process but do have some "core" posts that are 4,000 words or longer, so I think I'll split the difference and try Grammarly for shorter posts, but look for a good proofreader for the longer stuff and see how it goes over time.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I enjoyed reading this thread because it showed me that there are still people around who understand English correctly.

My contribution is that one should never trust programs such as Microsoft Word, and also that it is a bad idea to rely on your own proof reading.

The human brain is capable of playing nasty tricks on the owner, and none more evident than the glossing over of mistakes when proofreading what he or she has written. Proof reading requires a fresh look, not a semi-comatose reading by someone who is familiar with the copy.

My pet hate is the growing ignorance of the rules of syntax. As a result of that ignorance, many of the younger generation of news reporters produce what are sometime hilarious or factually incorrect statements.

Walter

Philip Marlowe

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
My pet hate is the growing ignorance of the rules of syntax.
I've expressed a similar peeve in other posts, although mostly around punctuation.

I did find an editor, through a friendly forum member, and am looking forward to working with them. I find that reading my work aloud is a big help, but it can only do so much when you're on your 12th time through...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.