The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Project Horus

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Project Horus???

I know right...this newbie must be shamming you. I'm naming this progress thread Project Horus after inspiration from Gods of Egypt. The show was a flop, but it did have some enhanced graphics. I'm in college presently doing Australian Matriculation. Pretty much like a typical university workload, but I'll use what time I have to get Project Horus up and ready...

Project Horus is a means to an end, not the end in itself. The aim: Freedom from the Slowlane. I will be looking at the Interstates as MJ recommended. A virtual business that earns me cash without my time, and can even grow without me! The best one seems like the Internet as:

1. I would not need an office space.
2. I don't need a lot of capital. I'm presently devouring The Lean Startup and The $100 Startup for that. Recommended by the Books discussion thread.
3. It need not be big as Facebook. I'm looking through Rework.
4. I might not need employees. I could outsource or rely on freelancers. But then if I wanted to sell the business for f#$k you money (MJ, do you mind if I borrowed it from a thread bashing a blatant Slowlaner? Boy, I hated that Slowlaner for championing derivatives), I might need to think about sustainable automation.
5. I could get interactive and have the users contribute! Minecraft did it with mods. Facebook is a social network that requires people's info.
6. It can provide value to MILLIONS. My business can sell cheap stuff..but if it's to MILLIONS....Scale.

Anyway I'm working on my business AS a product, not in it. Commandment of Time.

My learning is going to be a long process. I'll have to prepare the hustle to fund my startups. No money from parents....it's cheating. I'm not poor, but I feel that I have to do this on my own initiative.

I'll be looking into learning dropshipping for bootstrapping. Any good resources to learn dropshipping?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Day 1
Now this is not the exact first day of Project Horus. I was working a bit reading up all I can on virtual businesses and money trees that don't require truckloads of fertiliser....or in other words, immense capital from VCs. Hell I'm not borrowing. I don't have safety nets in case it crashes. Let's go organic.

I will be polishing up on copywriting and market validation. Gotta test my ideas. Perhaps I might find new ones along the way. Just read a bit of Founders at Work. Paypal used to be a crypto database before it became an online monetary tool. It worked big time because the system could solve fraud while most online money systems of that time had shortcomings.

Still reading up on accounting. The tables are hard to digest....

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Day 2 and 3
Looking up what I can on designing my money plant. It has to:
a) Provide needs. Very important. Unfortunately in my scenerio as a college student with limited time and space, not to mention funds, I might have to go on the virtual world-Internet. Virtual products and systems-easily replicable unlike physical products like cars, can openers, bows (Mow's Bows, I remember that kid entrepreneur)

b) Virtual staff. Outsource. I don't have time to look around and hire people and obtain office space. Eventually it may be important...but I have a gut feeling that somehow a multimillion dollar business MIGHT just exist in cyberspace.
I mean, the FLF exists wholly in cyberspace...if a non-profit entrepreneur forum can blossom in cyberspace, then maybe could a real million-dollar business?....

Just my gut feeling of whackiness.

Looking up on Remote: Office Not Required...I might find more materials along the way

c) Accounting. Reading up the first five free chapters on Profit First by Mike Michalowicz. got blown away when he states that normal accounting principles MAY not work. Here's why:

Normal accounting formula

Sales-expenses=profit

Profit First formula
sales-profit=expenses

And that is the jest of it.

Rang a bell in my head. Kiyosaki always said that business owners could pay themselves first unlike employees. The guy may have been a rehash salesman, but some nuggets he has are worth taking home.

And that is Fastlane!

Will start applying upon bootstrapping examination.

Mike's books are good. Just finished the toiletpaper entrepreneur. Excellent read. I knew people are doing startups and entrepreneurship the wrong way!

d) Marketing.....if I want to make an app, I gotta learn ASO. If I want content systems....normal website marketing will do.

Bill Gates once said that the superpower he prefer would be TO READ QUICKER. I wish I could read and research faster. I need to take action. But jumping in without knowing what to do is dangerous....and I'm sure successful entrepreneurs take calculated risks.

Hopefully I'll finish market validation in a few days....then I'll know what else to do.

Wish me the best. Once again, I appreciate you, MJ for helping me out through this forum. I've received some good advice here, and I know I can do this. Maybe it is easier than I think it is...

My gut feeling of whackiness.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Day 4
Went to college to listen to some intro speeches by the lecturers. Met some new guys. Their talk was so slowlane and even sidewalk! If not about grades and 'that course' and 'this course', they were more interested in girls and cars than about making value.

I don't want to judge them, but I am feeling intimidated by the environment I have to wade through. At least I have the Forum to look to for motivation and to keep my spirits up! Thank you.

The lecturers kept yammering on how the courses were hard and 'you have to think about choosing them'. This shows that even the slowlane will slow you down like crazy with academics, work-life balance and eventually a 9-5 job that forces you to have interest in work that only makes others rich.

They keep saying, 'study what you are good at'. True. Why? To make work for others easier?

Life is too short for that crap. OK, enough ranting. Mission report.

Just got some free spreadsheets from Blue Ocean Strategy. Read the book, it's a good read on how to create new fields and new economic industries WITHOUT beating the competition-you make them IRRELEVANT. Personally I hate competition, tried it at school and it wasted my time.

I don't join a lot of competitions, and I'm happier and healthier than most of my peers :)
And I don't run the competition so no Commandment of Control. I'm out.

Will be looking in strategy before arranging my chess pieces. Still researching internet systems, apps and businesses. Screening leads on Fiverr. Hopefully I can get moving by next week. There's a silly orientation camp coming up (slowlane indoctrination), I have work cut out for me. Wish me the best.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
I have done all this idea analysis and build my product without an audience for months without revenue.
If I could do it again, I would start with the marketing and build value thorugh that and only after that create my product.

First you dont build the product for AIR,
second your execution will be better for your product, because you did FREE stuff for your audience first.

I´m skipping through your text and I see a lot of thinking, but little execution. All the information you suck up now will be fairly irrevant once you start executing.

Keep it up.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Day 20-something?
Nah, forget the timeline. Approx 1 month from inception.

Took Mainstream7's advice on taking action. Got pretty busy, so busy that I didn't really have time to waste. Quite a good thing too.

My plan has evolved. My first path was to learn how to make an app. A game app. Unfortunately, the field has already a lot of competition and that might loosen Entry. Kind of dangerous to head there.

Although I don't make games, I'm fairly interested in them. Games may not present a need (unless they are educational), but the power of engrossment and addiction can just hold players so long that the game JUST lives on popularity. Minecraft is one example. People got hooked, the Youtubers kept making vids on their every update, and the game sold and sold.

But I might become a wantrapreneur if I made a game app just because I like to do it.

I realised I could write. Heck, I did a few articles for my school magazine and they received favourable views. Didn't exactly translate into Fastlane success, but that was a start.

My strategy has already been revamped. I'll be producing a book. A fiction book. Actually a need for new fiction. Writers keep spewing the same old romantic, vampire and murder genres. There needs to be a new originality, a new fiction world for people to enjoy. I have already finished a few draft chapters and I have found an ex-editor who used to work for a publishing company in the States. I'll be sending her some drafts to look at.

I'll be self-publishing. More control. More say. More range. I just read up James Altucher's blog on self-publishing, He's a veteran at it, and here's what I found about the dangers of traditional publishing:
1. You have to take in debt to publish a book. For example if you want 1000 books published, you bear the cost of 100 books as debt. If it fails, you leave with debt and no profit. Unlike Amazon, which replicates books with electricity and digital data. There's even a print-on-order in Createspace.com-no wastage.

2.Bookstores sell books, but can a newcomer place his books in there? He's got competition with others. I'm not the only one with the pen. Not to mention some books are literally ignored on the shelves. Believe me, I go to bookstores often and I see the same old tired book sitting there. The author's tragedy.

3. No say in design. If they do crap work, haha. I mean, at least you can have an online competition for a good book cover design, in which the best pick of designers around the world can compete. James did it himself, and his books are quite notable. Check him out online, he has quite the credentials.

That's all for now. I have to get to work quickly. I hope to launch the book out by December. Got marketing and following generation to look into. Not complete, not perfect, but I'm glad to be working on it while I still can.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
This thread is so damn rusty! But well, here's progress...

1. Got caught up with my college studies. Boy, the Slowlane has a damn good grasp. If it weren't for my parents' demands, I would have just gone rouge and taken a job instead to fund my needs while I pursue Fastlane.... :(

Thank goodness it's the break now. Good to work the hardest when people are partying the hardest!

2. Got infected with WANTRAPRENEURISM. Thankfully, the moderators and other senior Fastlaners cured me. THANK YOU @theag, @InformationH, @IGP, @Vigilante, @Akakoc, @Ecom man , and others!

And thank you @MJ DeMarco for coming in to help out more. Your very good health, sir!

3. Recovered and got to help out some newcomers who have the mindset and dedication that I would never meet in my college!

4. Found much good materials and books here from the bookstore recommendations. I'm reading books that my college seniors would NEVER touch in their lifetimes! (because they are chasing after girls and grades!). Now reading Cashvertising, and thinking of reading the wealth of nations or buffett's letters.

5. Found a badly needed market need in a professional field and am presently looking up website tools to create an MVP for that! Hope to be up and running this month!

But I am considering whether to register my Internet-based business in the US or local....could I register it online as a corp?

6. Feeling free and stress-relieved for the first time in a lifetime. I used to be burdened by Slowlane academics and job entrapment looming ahead. But now, I know what to do, so I feel FREE and HAPPY. I am not afraid of others' opinions. I am not afraid of their 'big jobs' and 'cars'. I am not afraid because I KNOW the truth of the Fastlane!

These six months have been the most fruitful of my entire life. I have learnt things that many never will, and seen things that eyes fail to look. I have never regretted coming here, and will never do so in the future. I may not be a millionaire yet, but I have the strength of ONE.

Every day, I wake up eager to find something that will give me the knowledge to provide the answers to someone's problem. And find it I do. I look at the money-chasers and Scrooges that lust for wealth, and ponder how lucky....no, blessed I have been.

For my strength is not consisting of my soul only, it encompasses the strength of all of you Fastlaners!

Thank you everyone! Thank you MJ! Keep up the moderating and value-giving, and God bless!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
by the way my earlier self- publishing gig fizzled out...it was not providing for a need :( But now I WILL.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
@Odysseus M Jones , eek...your likes brought me back here.

Here's a more updated progress thread.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.