The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Project: BellaPippin | Real Estate, Social entrepreneurship, Art and YouTube, and who knows what else

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
I know nothing about marketing
You know more now and you have a better picture of what you don't know.

The average person goes through life with making a single deliberate profitable sale for themselves, and you're a million miles ahead of them because they never even try.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
No, no, no, no etc.

And those two randoms were from Reddit. I've been running an Insta ad too, all in all I have 20 redemptions going around for free (I did ask for an honest review from the Redditors) and nobody has used it. And it's FREE. The ad insight gave me 130 likes on the promoted post, only 1 person clicked through to the course page, but didn't enroll.

I now realized I know nothing about marketing, but also idk how much value the course has at all with that feedback, if I've learned something from this place is that the market speaks.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm impressed that you got two signups despite not having any of those marketing things. Imagine if you added a little fuel to that fire.

Keep creating, keep putting it out there, and it will snowball for you.
You don't think @Lex DeVille woke up one day, created an Udemy course, and immediately earned $3k a month, do you? He built that audience and reputation up over years. It takes momentum.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
So there's a painting course?

I am curious who is the target market? Anyone interested in painting? Which sub Reddit did you post in?

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
@BellaPippin

So proud of you.

See the common theme within comments? Keep trying. You lack some confidence now, hence you want to give up.

I know, learning curve really sucks, but you will gain confidence every time you try.

You tried once and had some success (2 sign ups) with no marketing plan whatsoever.

What happens, if you study some marketing and apply yourself with the new knowledge for the next project? Surely, you will have more than 2 subscribers.

Let’s say by the 3rd time you learn the insights of “creating course”, have a good marketing plan and more confidence in yourself. How many people would that be now?

Remember that video MJ made about probability of success? Well, not only does your success rate grows, but so does confidence, which is super important in entrepreneurship.

Take the calculated risk that won't sunk the ship and keep trying.

Enough said.

Last edited:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Thanks everyone and sorry for the meltdown. Some 9 hours of sleep have me more calm now. @elusive97 wonder if you can relate lol

I think you misunderstood me. I'm impressed that you got two signups despite not having any of those marketing things. Imagine if you added a little fuel to that fire.

Keep creating, keep putting it out there, and it will snowball for you.
You don't think @Lex DeVille woke up one day, created an Udemy course, and immediately earned $3k a month, do you? He built that audience and reputation up over years. It takes momentum.

Ngl because he's so good at copywriting and what he does he does make it sound too easy. But I should know better by now. I hyped myself too much and it's been three days. Haven't felt like myself lately either so that doesn't help.

So I started looking up stuff and I found this 101 guide at QuickSprout that explains the basics like I'm five, before going to anything else --also the list of books on Amazon is endless, the list on YT too, so I immediately got overwhelmed and didn't know which one to pick-- I realize the instagram ad makes people "aware" of it and "engage" (that's how they go about the sales funnel/customer relationship process) but it doesn't get them to subscribe. And I also realized I don't have anything to offer on the Instagram, since I haven't been painting. So I've got nothing to take them to.

That sort of clashes with the notion that if the product gives value it will sell, though, so I'm a bit lost on whether I just need to market better or if the course isn't solving any problem (for the record, I did it because I thought I could do it better than the existing ones, lecture-wise speaking)

So there's a painting course?

I am curious who is the target market? Anyone interested in painting? Which sub Reddit did you post in?

I did it for people that want the foundations explained in a simple, non-overwhelming way. The top selling post (I got it and watched it) is called "Beginner to Master" and is FAR away from that. The dude goes from painting a sphere, and the next lesson he's painting a full fledge portrait. To top it off as usual they ask you for the most expensive supplies (this is very common) and instead of just using some canvas he takes you thru the process of cutting illustration board, prepping it with gesso (you gotta wait 24 hs for it to dry before you start painting, and then another 24 hs in between layers) It was overwhelming for me and I'm not even a beginner, so I thought I can make a much simpler one, with the key concepts and techniques. I mean.... he has to be at the top for a reason, why I couldn't understand. I hated the course, no joke. I wanted to get a refund but given the why I bought it in the first place it seemed unfair so I didn't. If I was someone hoping to learn something I would have.

Anyway-- I posted the finished piece and a mention to r/artistlounge low key (because of no solicitation policy) and then I posted the coupon offer at r/artsale, where I got the dude that enrolled. He was looking for a drawing course though (Guess he didn't read well lol) but after PMing a bit I told him the lessons on value and the underpainting (in which I first sketch the object) might be useful for him, so to check those out, it's free anyway. And he did, then he said he had a friend that was interested and passed the coupon to him, that was the second enrollment.

You know how it is on reddit, they don't like solicitation.

@BellaPippin

So proud of you.

See the common theme within comments? Keep trying. You lack some confidence now, hence you want to give up.

I know, learning curve really sucks, but you will gain confidence every time you try.

You tried once and had some success (2 sign ups) with no marketing plan whatsoever.

What happens, if you study some marketing and apply yourself with the new knowledge for the next project? Surely, you will have more than 2 subscribers.

Let’s say by the 3rd time you learn the insights of “creating course”, have a good marketing plan and more confidence in yourself. How many people would that be now?

Remember that video MJ made about probability of success? Well, not only does your success rate grows, but so does confidence, which is super important in entrepreneurship.

Take the calculated risk that won't sunk the ship and keep trying.

Enough said.
View attachment 29871

Thank you. I needed to hear that from someone, related to all this.

@CareCPA along with a friend that has an Insta about Pokemon with quite a few followers (and some years ago worked with friends on promoting an indie video game for Steam they made) made me realize I just put it out there and ran the ad pretty much. He also said he had to learn a few things when he was promoting the game and he was like you need to learn some, it's not an option. I knew I didn't know about marketing and that isn't good but if this makes sense something clicked now...like, I really need to know what to do online with what I made. Funny thing is I never got to this part before. This is a first. I've made stuff before, that never got offered anywhere, never got validated, because it never got marketed anywhere.

Sorry, I'm kinda thinking out loud as I go... I'm literally figuring it out as I type.

I'm thinking a bit more clear right now after the meltdown.

I'm getting nowhere with the soap unless I can figure out smaller stuff first.

I might not have my first dollar yet but I've crossed a line I hadn't got to before, and that's good.

Thanks everyone for the kindness.

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
I know exactly what you were feeling, went through this back in November. Got my invention manufactured, on my website and Amazon FBA. Ran some ads on Facebook (spent about $150 on ads). Got some likes, but no sales.

Does my product suck? Did I market wrong? Is it my website? I was all over the place.

I love The Millionaire Fastlane for the idea of what a fastlane business looks like, but I think it's missing one key aspect. Why would someone buy my product or your course instead of others?

I'm hope I'm onto something that I believe is the missing piece. It's a strategy from a book "Known", by Mark Schaefer. Just as TMF isn't a get rich quick strategy, Known isn't about being famous. It's deliberate steps (hard work) to become known in your desired area. As you become known, you show up in search results, you're trusted, you're an authority and people will buy your product over someone that's unknown. The book is designed as actionable steps not just theory. It's a process to become a known authority in your niche. I'm going to use Youtube videos to become known in my area, but Mark gives many actionable methods to be an authority in yours. There's many members on TFF that are known here because they provide great value to the forum. Becoming known outside of this forum isn't that different.

I don't want to be tied to Facebook ads to sell my product for the rest of my life. Becoming known takes more time, but I believe it's the correct strategy for me.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I know exactly what you were feeling, went through this back in November. Got my invention manufactured, on my website and Amazon FBA. Ran some ads on Facebook (spent about $150 on ads). Got some likes, but no sales.

Does my product suck? Did I market wrong? Is it my website? I was all over the place.

I love The Millionaire Fastlane for the idea of what a fastlane business looks like, but I think it's missing one key aspect. Why would someone buy my product or your course instead of others?

I'm hope I'm onto something that I believe is the missing piece. It's a strategy from a book "Known", by Mark Schaefer. Just as TMF isn't a get rich quick strategy, Known isn't about being famous. It's deliberate steps (hard work) to become known in your desired area. As you become known, you show up in search results, you're trusted, you're an authority and people will buy your product over someone that's unknown. The book is designed as actionable steps not just theory. It's a process to become a known authority in your niche. I'm going to use Youtube videos to become known in my area, but Mark gives many actionable methods to be an authority in yours. There's many members on TFF that are known here because they provide great value to the forum. Becoming known outside of this forum isn't that different.

I don't want to be tied to Facebook ads to sell my product for the rest of my life. Becoming known takes more time, but I believe it's the correct strategy for me.

Thanks, it's a bit of a relief to be reminded it's not just something wrong with me, but something that everyone goes through... I appreciate the mention I will check that book no doubt.

I am a bit all over the place again. I keep writing and writing and making lists trying to figure out what problem I'm supposed to solve, or wondering why I am so blind to opportunities out there. Or things I am good at, things I know and could share. Still lost.

I know I should stick with something. The question is what is worth the effort. Is this course? Is it something I haven't come up with yet? Is it the soap? So messy.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I can make a much simpler one, with the key concepts and techniques.

Ok, let's cut to the chase. I have a son who loves to paint. He's 6. At 3 I was surprised at his drawings because they had depth and perspective. His grandma really supports and inspires him in this. Which is awesome. As a single dad, when he's at my house, I want to be able to foster that love of painting too. My NY resolution was to better support my kids interests and hobbies, now that they're getting to an age where they actually have some. But I don't know the first thing about any of it.

Simple. Key Concepts. Not super expensive materials. You're speaking my language.

If I watch your videos, will I be educated enough to help my kiddo?

And if you think so, will you please post a link? Or if that's against the rules or whatever, just PM me the link?

And as an INE - A youtube channel or something that teaches people how to paint or draw specific things. But like cool, kid centric things. Like dinosuars. Or super heros. PJ masks or baby Yoda or Elsa from Frozen. (Or, if you need to get around trademarks, teach them to draw caped crusaders, or heros in a half shell, or kid friendly ice queens.)

It's just a thought. Not trying to add to your growing list of to do's.

In all the talk about solving a problem, sometimes it helps to think about who you are solving the problem for, so that you can think about the best way to reach those people. That's the foundation of the marketing plan. And in my experience, the more niche you make it, the clearer the planning becomes.

I don't know the best way to reach single dads trying to do right by their kids. Heck, I don't even know if they are a good demographic to target (financially speaking).

I just know I am one. And if I can teach my boy how to paint a T-Rex or my little girl how to draw Elsa, I'll be their freaking hero...for at least a week. :rofl: At this point, I'll settle for how to draw happy little trees or paint a nice mountain background.

Why would someone buy my product or your course instead of others?

I thought it was mentioned. Maybe it was in Unscripted . There's no way he overlooked it.

The question is what is worth the effort. Is this course? Is it something I haven't come up yet? Is it the soap? I'm such a mess lol

You're not a mess. You just have entrepreneur ADD. It's normal. We all ask ourselves if something else might be better. I don't think it ever goes away.

With all these projects, I think you know there are other ways that will make more money, so you have doubt. So maybe think of the education you'll receive by doing the marketing for this course or the soap. In a couple of months or a couple of years you can shut it down, but having developed a model, a process for marketing, yo can move onto whatever that something better will be.

Until you have that better idea, push forward a little more on this one. Refine it. Flesh it out a bit more. And learn from the experience.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
And as an INE - A youtube channel or something that teaches people how to paint or draw specific things. But like cool, kid centric things. Like dinosuars. Or super heros. PJ masks or baby Yoda or Elsa from Frozen.
I really like this!

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
I am a bit all over the place again. I keep writing and writing and making lists trying to figure out what problem I'm supposed to solve, or wondering why I am so blind to opportunities out there. Or things I am good at, things I know and could share. Still lost.
Watch the TED talk by Simon Sinek, Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action. The title doesn't seem like it fits your problem, but it does. Finding your WHY will help you figure what's right for you. If it's to make money, then it won't help.

I'm reading his book, but the main points of the book are in the TED Talk.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Ok, let's cut to the chase. I have a son who loves to paint. He's 6. At 3 I was surprised at his drawings because they had depth and perspective. His grandma really supports and inspires him in this. Which is awesome. As a single dad, when he's at my house, I want to be able to foster that love of painting too. My NY resolution was to better support my kids interests and hobbies, now that they're getting to an age where they actually have some. But I don't know the first thing about any of it.

Simple. Key Concepts. Not super expensive materials. You're speaking my language.

If I watch your videos, will I be educated enough to help my kiddo?

And if you think so, will you please post a link? Or if that's against the rules or whatever, just PM me the link?

And as an INE - A youtube channel or something that teaches people how to paint or draw specific things. But like cool, kid centric things. Like dinosuars. Or super heros. PJ masks or baby Yoda or Elsa from Frozen. (Or, if you need to get around trademarks, teach them to draw caped crusaders, or heros in a half shell, or kid friendly ice queens.)

It's just a thought. Not trying to add to your growing list of to do's.

In all the talk about solving a problem, sometimes it helps to think about who you are solving the problem for, so that you can think about the best way to reach those people. That's the foundation of the marketing plan. And in my experience, the more niche you make it, the clearer the planning becomes.

I don't know the best way to reach single dads trying to do right by their kids. Heck, I don't even know if they are a good demographic to target (financially speaking).

I just know I am one. And if I can teach my boy how to paint a T-Rex or my little girl how to draw Elsa, I'll be their freaking hero...for at least a week. :rofl: At this point, I'll settle for how to draw happy little trees or paint a nice mountain background.

I thought it was mentioned. Maybe it was in Unscripted . There's no way he overlooked it.

You're not a mess. You just have entrepreneur ADD. It's normal. We all ask ourselves if something else might be better. I don't think it ever goes away.

With all these projects, I think you know there are other ways that will make more money, so you have doubt. So maybe think of the education you'll receive by doing the marketing for this course or the soap. In a couple of months or a couple of years you can shut it down, but having developed a model, a process for marketing, yo can move onto whatever that something better will be.

Until you have that better idea, push forward a little more on this one. Refine it. Flesh it out a bit more. And learn from the experience.

Aw yes I want to hug you so badly. So insightful.

My BF's daughter is super into artsy and craftsy things, I can bond with her so easily because of it. She will ask me to draw things for her and she colors them. I used to do the same with a toddler I babysat for. Her mom kept my silly animal drawings and framed them in his room. He's 10 now and there they are. I recently bought her (BFs daughter) a little book I found at five and below that has step by step on how to draw "cute things" which is basically little cartoons of anything with two dots and a smile lmao

Anyway I think it would be useful for you to help him, because what I explain works in oil but also works for any kind of drawing and painting, but it's not didactic at all for a kid to watch. But I explain how when you wanna draw something you must see it for what it is, not for what you THINK you are seeing (like a mental switch skill you NEED), then I explain how value make things look real and 3d, then I make a color wheel and explain how colors work. You might want to skip the oil color mixing but I think the rest would give you a good foundation on what it takes to represent something on a surface, to then pick a subject together and try to tackle it. Because the only difference between drawing and painting is that drawings have outlines, in paintings you paint the body mass of something rather (but you can start with a sketch). Also, have him browse for artists (his age or not, game artwork, movie, tv artwork) that he likes, let him copy a bit too, find an influence, so that his own style starts to emerge. I just found this website called conceptstart.net (there are others but this one impressed me quite a bit) that gives you prompts, if you are dry on ideas. I thought I would use the study generator one. Any prompt generator might help too.

And as an INE - A youtube channel or something that teaches people how to paint or draw specific things. But like cool, kid centric things. Like dinosuars. Or super heros. PJ masks or baby Yoda or Elsa from Frozen

This is a good idea indeed, you haven't been able to find anything like this at all?? I mean I'm sure there's stuff I went browsing at Barnes & Noble/Amazon/YouTube, no? Because I have no issue becoming the next Bob Ross for kids lmao

Anyway I'll PM you the code and the coupon for you to check out, hopefully it helps you before you make an investment in an actual class for him, but if you want help with helping him draw something message me whenever, I'm always hyped to help with art.

In all the talk about solving a problem, sometimes it helps to think about who you are solving the problem for, so that you can think about the best way to reach those people. That's the foundation of the marketing plan.

You are right, I will do this. It's a very good point.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Oh DUH by the way @BizyDad , all the seasons of Art Attack are free on YouTube. It's more crafty but there's a lot of painting and drawing too. I was a FAN when I was a kid.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thanks, it's a bit of a relief to be reminded it's not just something wrong with me, but something that everyone goes through... I appreciate the mention I will check that book no doubt.

I know I should stick with something. The question is what is worth the effort. Is this course? Is it something I haven't come up with yet? Is it the soap? So messy.
You remind me of me. Its funny. When I look at my own life, I say the same things you're saying about yourself. When I look at you saying those things, I think, 'she already knows what to do, she just isn't trusting herself.' (I need to say the same thing to myself, but that hasn't occurred to me just yet)

So, allow me to preach at you for a little bit in the hopes that it will help both of us.

You know what to do already. Not with 100% certainty (no one can know things with 100% certainty), but you know what to do.

When you think about all your opportunities, which one calls to you the most? Not, which one is the most logical, but which one is raising its hand up the highest, saying, 'pick me, pick me!'

It really could be any of them. Soap, for example, is one of the stupidest ideas you could have ... or is it? Everyone is selling their own soap on Etsy. But then there's the guys that started Method, selling hand soap in those cool pear-shaped bottles. They drove around California in their beat up van, mixed the stuff in their kitchen, and eventually sold their products to Target.

I used to know a guy that sells dirt. And rocks. I lost track of him, but last time we talked, he had three delivery trucks that were busy full time. This was up from one used piece-of-crap truck he had when he first started.

You can make just about anything work, but you won't be successful with it unless you can learn to relax, trust yourself, and act on what you know.

I've been getting better at this recently. There was this one project that should have taken a week that I've been working on for the past month and a half. Finally, after allowing myself to stop and think about the best way forward, I figured it out. That only happened when I stopped, relaxed, and decided to trust my instincts. I'm doing that with other things too, slowly but surely, and its working.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
And as an INE - A youtube channel or something that teaches people how to paint or draw specific things. But like cool, kid centric things. Like dinosuars. Or super heros. PJ masks or baby Yoda or Elsa from Frozen.

Aw damn someone did do it. Lol. YouTube Art for Kids Hub. You can use it.

Art Attack is much better

Last edited:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
You remind me of me. Its funny. When I look at my own life, I say the same things you're saying about yourself. When I look at you saying those things, I think, 'she already knows what to do, she just isn't trusting herself.' (I need to say the same thing to myself, but that hasn't occurred to me just yet)

So, allow me to preach at you for a little bit in the hopes that it will help both of us.

You know what to do already. Not with 100% certainty (no one can know things with 100% certainty), but you know what to do.

When you think about all your opportunities, which one calls to you the most? Not, which one is the most logical, but which one is raising its hand up the highest, saying, 'pick me, pick me!'

It really could be any of them. Soap, for example, is one of the stupidest ideas you could have ... or is it? Everyone is selling their own soap on Etsy. But then there's the guys that started Method, selling hand soap in those cool pear-shaped bottles. They drove around California in their beat up van, mixed the stuff in their kitchen, and eventually sold their products to Target.

I used to know a guy that sells dirt. And rocks. I lost track of him, but last time we talked, he had three delivery trucks that were busy full time. This was up from one used piece-of-crap truck he had when he first started.

You can make just about anything work, but you won't be successful with it unless you can learn to relax, trust yourself, and act on what you know.

I've been getting better at this recently. There was this one project that should have taken a week that I've been working on for the past month and a half. Finally, after allowing myself to stop and think about the best way forward, I figured it out. That only happened when I stopped, relaxed, and decided to trust my instincts. I'm doing that with other things too, slowly but surely, and its working.

Thanks Jon for your support and sharing your story too. The whole stopping and relaxing is something I have a whole runway of room to improve on, to say the least. My emotions control me more than they should. Looking back at this week this single dud gave me a huge hit at my self worth, and I mean it's not even a sentence yet, it's been three days since I posted the damn course. Talk about dramatic. But then suddenly everything was up on the table for examination.

I do have to stop and relax and keep on at it...

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thanks Jon for your support and sharing your story too. The whole stopping and relaxing is something I have a whole runway of room to improve on, to say the least. My emotions control me more than they should. Looking back at this week this single dud gave me a huge hit at my self worth, and I mean it's not even a sentence yet, it's been three days since I posted the damn course. Talk about dramatic. But then suddenly everything was up on the table for examination.

I do have to stop and relax and keep on at it...
I was listening to the Tony Robbins podcast last week. I used to not like Tony Robbins - I never understood what he was saying. He talks so fast and seems to redefine basic English words to mean different things. I was never able to follow. His podcast is different, though.

On his podcast, he interviewed this one woman who ended up being a gold medalist in the triathlon. When she first started out, she wasn't very good. She came in 42nd in this one race that didn't have many people in it. Her mom told her, 'well, no one is good at everything. Why don't you try something you can be good at?'

She was devastated. She'd really tried, and came up woefully short.

The night after the race, a friend of her's texted and said, 'if you are willing to come to Austria, my coach will train you.' She did. It was the most grueling training she'd ever been through. (Think: something on the order of what Navy Seals go through). Long story short, she ended up being one of the top athletes in the world for her sport.

She later asked her coach, 'why did you pick me? What was it that you saw in me? I came in 42nd.'

Her coach answered, 'Your drive was obvious. You were fighting with everything you had to get to 41st. Everyone else around you had already given up. I saw that and said, 'this is someone I want to coach.''

After listening to all this, I thought, 'whats the difference between her and me?'

Aside from my lack of athletic ability, her belief in herself, and the resulting willingness to push herself makes her different from where I'm at currently. She 'knew' in her gut that if she really tried, she'd accomplish what she wanted.

I don't think I know that in my gut yet ... that if I really try, I'll accomplish what I want. I also don't think that developing that kind of belief in yourself is all that difficult...

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Aw damn someone did do it. Lol. YouTube Art for Kids Hub. You can use it.

Art Attack is much better

I have searched a little but I didn't find either of those.

Sometimes it isn't about being first to market, but doing the marketing better.

And THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!! (I don't use all caps and exclamation points lightly... ) I really appreciate the resources and the help.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have searched a little but I didn't find either of those.

Sometimes it isn't about being first to market, but doing the marketing better.

And THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!! (I don't use all caps and exclamation points lightly... ) I really appreciate the resources and the help.

Art Attack:

Neil was my first crush (?)

That other dude that is exactly what you described: Art for Kids Hub

And anytime, pleasure is mine for being helpful n__n

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Guys honest to God I hope none of you is called Emily or Hernan

Because...

:eek: ~ I MADE MY FIRST DOLLAR!~:eek:

@Strategery @MJ DeMarco @Vigilante @Lex DeVille @broswoodwork @Andy Black @AgainstAllOdds @Jon L @Bekit @Primeperiwinkle

giphy.gif

Last edited:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Uh wait hold on it was @BizyDad wasn't it. I gave you a couponnn silly

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Uh wait hold on it was @BizyDad wasn't it. I gave you a couponnn silly

Yeah, so this got weird...

You gave me a coupon for 100% off. I didn't want it for free. I tried paying full price, but since it was my first ever Udemy course, Udemy gave me an auto applied discount. So I paid it happily.

I'm not a looter Bel! (Can you tell I'm listening to the next chapter of Atlas Shrugged while working on my new art project?)

You know those freemium model phone games? I'm the type of person who will buy an upsell just to reward the developers who make a good product. I know how much time and effort it takes to create things. I don't want them for free.

Honestly, if you had other courses created, I would've taken this one for free and bought the next on sheer principle. But you don't have one. I knew based on your answer Friday that this would help me. And I didn't want to get it free and beg you to take my money later. So I decided to pay for it.

I was in the market for such a product. I'd spent 3 or 4 hours researching options on Jan 2. I got frustrating and angry not finding anything that really helped me get started. I figured I'd just dive in, so on Jan 3 I went to the art store. This lady tried to help me but she kept ending every answer to every question with "It just depends on what you want". But I didn't know what I wanted, and I felt like I was annoying her, so I left the store more frustrated. I found some art classes, but that seemed like a lot more time investment than I wanted. And I've spent 3 weeks a little guilty that I'm not making progress on helping my kid become a better artist. Ok, I watched half a Bob Ross episode. :clap::

In less time than all that, I watched your videos.

And now, I have this corner of my house that I'm prepping for art.

I went to the store and bought some materials.

I have like 15 weeks worth of ideas and activities for me and the kiddos where I can slowly teach them everything you taught me. I'm jotting down a rough schedule. And we can have fun. And it'll be amazing.

New Year's resolution is getting handled! Like, I'm going to be a better dad to my kids because of your course.

And here's the most amazing part, from my standpoint. I bought this hoping to learn how to talk the talk. But I actually believe I can walk the walk! Here's the picture I am going to use to make my first painting.

IMG_20200126_125207.jpg

I'm a little nervous about the top apple. I shoulda gotten Fuji apples! :rofl:

Yes, I'm squinting. I've been squinting at things for 3 days now. I feel like just saying thank you really doesn't cover it. I know about lights and colors and hues and brushes now. And underpaint. And to not sweat the tiny details.

So if my paying for the course misled you into thinking some Redditor did and you are on the path to internet riches, I'm sorry. That sucks, and I wasn't trying to rob you of that moment. You'll just have to keep experimenting with marketing strategies.

But if any part of this was to create value in someone's life and therefore create a satisfied customer, someone who will tell others about your work, congratulations. And from where I sit, boy are you underpaid!

I told 4 guys at bowling last night about it. And one lady at church today. I've left you a review. I do have a few questions I'll post in the course probably later this week. And I have a couple of critiques I'll send you privately. And when I have completed my painting, I'm going to hang it on my wall and I'll share it with my friends and on social media I'm going to brag about this course I bought to learn it all.

"When I have completed my painting". 72 hours ago, I would've told you that's impossible. So thank you from the bottom of my heart and the top of my wallet.

Last edited:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yeah, so this got weird...

You gave me a coupon for 100% off. I didn't want it for free. I tried paying full price, but since it was my first ever Udemy course, Udemy gave me an auto applied discount. So I paid it happily.

I'm not a looter Bel! (Can you tell I'm listening to the next chapter of Atlas Shrugged while working on my new art project?)

You know those freemium model phone games? I'm the type of person who will buy an upsell just to reward the developers who make a good product. I know how much time and effort it takes to create things. I don't want them for free.

Honestly, if you had other courses created, I would've taken this one for free and bought the next on sheer principle. But you don't have one. I knew based on your answer Friday that this would help me. And I didn't want to get it free and beg you to take my money later. So I decided to pay for it.

I was in the market for such a product. I'd spent 3 or 4 hours researching options on Jan 2. I got frustrating and angry not finding anything that really helped me get started. I figured I'd just dive in, so on Jan 3 I went to the art store. This lady tried to help me but she kept ending every answer to every question with "It just depends on what you want". But I didn't know what I wanted, and I felt like I was annoying her, so I left the store more frustrated. I found some art classes, but that seemed like a lot more time investment than I wanted. And I've spent 3 weeks a little guilty that I'm not making progress on helping my kid become a better artist. Ok, I watched half a Bob Ross episode. :clap::

In less time than all that, I watched your videos.

And now, I have this corner of my house that I'm prepping for art.

I went to the store and bought some materials.

I have like 15 weeks worth of ideas and activities for me and the kiddos where I can slowly teach them everything you taught me. I'm jotting down a rough schedule. And we can have fun. And it'll be amazing.

New Year's resolution is getting handled! Like, I'm going to be a better dad to my kids because of your course.

And here's the most amazing part, from my standpoint. I bought this hoping to learn how to talk the talk. But I actually believe I can walk the walk! Here's the picture I am going to use to make my first painting.

View attachment 29920

I'm a little nervous about the top apple. I shoulda gotten Fuji apples! :rofl:

Yes, I'm squinting. I've been squinting at things for 3 days now. I feel like just saying thank you really doesn't cover it. I know about lights and colors and hues and brushes now. And underpaint. And to not sweat the tiny details.

So if my paying for the course misled you into thinking some Redditor did and you are on the path to internet riches, I'm sorry. That sucks, and I wasn't trying to rob you of that moment. You'll just have to keep experimenting with marketing strategies.

But if any part of this was to create value in someone's life and therefore create a satisfied customer, someone who will tell others about your work, congratulations. And from where I sit, boy are you underpaid!

I told 4 guys at bowling last night about it. And one lady at church today. I've left you a review. I do have a few questions I'll post in the course probably later this week. And I have a couple of critiques I'll send you privately. And when I have completed my painting, I'm going to hang it on my wall and I'll share it with my friends and on social media I'm going to brag about this course I bought to learn it all.

"When I have completed my painting". 72 hours ago, I would've told you that's impossible. So thank you from the bottom of my heart and the top of my wallet.

Aw man, well if that's the case I'm still happy. I just wanted to achieve and know/prove I can create something of value (a product, not a service linked to time) to others. And I see you aren't lying. So I'm just as hyped as you are now! I've made my own thumbnail now and enhanced the description to contain as many relevant words as I can. I'll keep promoting it and try to gain traction.

I'm a little nervous about the top apple. I shoulda gotten Fuji apples!

Once you start squinting all those little lines are gonna be patches of yellow you're going to block in. And then it's just a matter of how far you wanna take it with the details, you can just add layer over layer refining it with a little round. Don't go crazy. Stand up and look at it from a few feet away every now and then, you will always see it looks much better than when you are "zooming in" your focus on a particular part. Also, great use of complementary colors on that bowl! Brownie points :D

And yes AMA anytime it makes my day to talk about art materials and discuss work. You're gonna do great, it's about how you feel WHILE you're painting. If you want a bit more get "Daily Painting" by Carol Marine and/or "Paint bold and fast" by Patti Mollica. :)

EDIT: Thank you so much for taking the time to write the whole story in your review. As the first and only review available atm I'm sure it will help whoever considers taking it and maybe convince them to give it a go. You made me want to watch it lmao

Last edited:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
TGIF update:

• $8500 saved for house-hack
  • Soap Paused
  • No sales on Udemy, 2 reviews... I will have a second course up by the end of the week, which seems to be more specific and have lower competition but high demand. Hoping this one will actually help the first one? Idk.

Just realized with what I learned about marketing in this guide I read is that everytime I've been running ads for anything I was running conversion ads to cold leads. Now I can see how the whole Awareness --> Evaluation --> Conversion funnel works but in the case of the Udemy course you just... send them to the course page? Would it be more useful to post a partial video with some footage on YouTube to get them interested, run ads for that, and send them to the course from YouTube? The instagram ads got likes on the boosted post but no clicks through. @Andy Black this seems like a question for you, what do you think?

giphy.gif

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Would it be more useful to post a partial video with some footage on YouTube to get them interested, run ads for that, and send them to the course from YouTube?

The nice thing about having video ads, is that you can create Lookalike audiences of people who watched your video 50-75%. I am talking about fb ads.

These type of audiences are usually very high ROI.

I've learned a lot about it from adespresso website, a lot of useful articles, and easy to understand guides.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.