The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

PROGRESS THREAD: (WildAmbitions) Moving Beyond Layoff ...

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
The last 6 months have been all about more change. I have been building my lists, organizing, adding and refining site packages, developing products, and learning how to customize WP sites easily and quickly. I am still working to build my team and have started to JV with others to get what I need accomplished. Many things going on at once.

I have never been too thrilled with the .biz extension and I have finally found a .com that I am happy with. I am continuing to add to the existing site while I build the new site. I am holding off the launch until I have the core things I want established and in place. It is not a super high priority item for me as I have 4 other internet (but unrelated) projects in action as well.

I suspect it might be a while before I can update with any real detail. Business income continues to come in and different areas increase or decrease at different times. The bottom line is that the business' are self supporting and then some, but still not at a point that I can count on it to live on.

The next two months are going to be critical. My unemployment will expire in August. It is still up in the air as to whether or not I will need to get a job to supplement my business income.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
WildAmbitions,
One thing really obvious that helped me was... tracking how much I really was making. I made an excel sheet with all four channels of my income and made it calculate my revenue, expenses, taxes, and finally my income for each month.

When you actually see where the money is coming from and where, and how much you are really making. It gave me great confidence and assured me that I was self-sustainable.

James F.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Time as flown by the last two months. Progress has been a slow and steady climb. I have got a few things still brewing as I continue to evaluate, refine and revise a number of businesses that I now have going.

I have allowed myself another 13 weeks and then another major look to see where I am. I decided against settling for any job at this point but I am still watching for job opportunities should I need to fall back on that.

I have added one on one real time WordPress training for beginners that are interested in learning how to build their own sites. I can be reached on Skype - just add contact: KerryCarron and let me know what you need. I will let you know when and if it is something that I help you with. We set up the time and go for it. I am on Skype most of the time and can typically get people in pretty quickly.

I am once again participating in The Challenge (by Ed Dale) and have been blogging about that as I do the assignments. Again, the training is filled with a ton of information.

I am also participating in some Web Design training and have been active in that community (which is why I have not been as active here lately). That community is opening another level of networking in the specific areas of web design and development that I am interested in.

Other than that, I am still putting in very long computer days. Still learning a ton. Still getting better and better at what I do and moving closer to becoming the person that I want to be.

I hope all is well with all of my good friends here too.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Kerry:

Haven't talk to you for a while. Glad that you are making progress and are back on 30DC.

I haven't had chance to go back to 30DC, because I am not really into what they are doing.

I should also update my progress thread ... It's been a while!

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the update Kerry,
Def stick in there, web design is def stressing when you don't know when and where the money is coming from. To me; I either get bogged down with projects at the same time or I go on a hiatus and not working on anything.

James F.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
I either get bogged down with projects at the same time or I go on a hiatus and not working on anything.
This is often how it is. That is why IMHO it is necessary to have additional income from additional streams. Kind of not like having all my eggs in one basket. The other dilemma that I encounter is that if I have the project that I am working I often do not have the time to solicit and actively seek the next project hence resulting in that down or lag time.

I have found a number of solutions to work around, most of which do not include me - or at least using my time. More on that another time perhaps.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Latest Update. I have made the final decision to NOT go and get a job. I have secured job like work in my home based business and am going to do that instead as I continue to build the passive side of things up. I have secured "x" amount of hours at "x" amount/hour and will be providing online services. I am creating systems for the work I am doing and it will be outsourced and managed by me as the systems are developed.

The online instruction is also picking up and I am building my clientele. I REALLY like this part and am starting to create my own line of product to go along with this. I have found a way to combine two passions that I have. Website development and teaching. Feel free to contact me for any help or instruction regarding WordPress and your site development.

I still have a lot to learn (how boring it would be if I did not) but I have found I know a lot more than many. If I don't know it, I can find the answer or refer to my network of contacts that I have.

As stressful as building all of this (even to just where it is at), it still beats working for someone else and not being able to really excel at being ME! I am completely enjoying my adventure.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Since my last post here I have successfully reached an important milestone. My business income has officially replaced the income that I was receiving through unemployment. More importantly, I actually reached that goal 13 weeks ahead of my goal (the time at which point I would no longer be eligible for additional unemployment).

Having met this goal and having had the opportunity to read MJ's book, I can now continue my journey implementing my fastlane road map. I am taking action toward my next goals - transitioning from what I have, toward meeting all 5 of the fastlane commandments in my business structure.

Most of what what I am doing right now is still trading my time for the income, which I am willing to do to "pay the bills" while working toward developing the more passive income. 18 hour days are common for me. The skills I have and will continue to develop are being applied in the "job" part of my business (as it is now) but will also be integral to my fastlane process.

Here is a quick list of some of the services that I currently offer and would be happy to provide. I especially like to teach and assist newbies. I have a knack for being able to explain things to newbies in a way that they can understand.

Website design and development instruction
-Scheduled One-on-one
-Video tutorial
WordPress instruction
-Scheduled One-on-one
-Video tutorial

Website development
-Design web page layout
-Create website architecture and navigation
-Design graphics and branding
-Coordinate content and layout
-Website installation
-Blog installation
-Forum installation
-Live website chat installation
-Perform custom programming

Virtual Webmaster and Website management
-Website security and integrity
-Website Edits & Updates
-Content Management
-Creating/Adding Webpages
-Basic Graphic Design
-Creating/Deleting Email Accounts (cpanel or Google Apps)
-File Upload/Download

Hosting
Web Hosting Management
Generate keyword analysis reports
Monitor and generate analytic reports

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
Let me just chime in here give a testimonial for kerry. I had a guy set up my site for me and he did what I asked and set it up. I dont mean to complain because he did what I asked. That being said while he did get me up and running he didnt really treat me the way I needed to be treated, a nontechnical person who wants a site but not have to learn code to do it. I want/am the creative energy behind my site and dont have the knowhow and abilities to do the behind the scenes tech stuff I want/need done. I want to focus my efforts on the building of the brand/vision and marketing to be successful. I needed someone to do the tech stuff for me and to to overuse the term but hold my hand while doing it. Kerry has been awesome in this aspect. Extremely professional and available to answer my questions and to just "get it done"

I would encourage anyone if their situation sounds like mine, having the vision for their site but not the tech knowledge/abilities, to contact Kerry. Thanks Kerry

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
I would encourage anyone if their situation sounds like mine, having the vision for their site but not the tech knowledge/abilities, to contact Kerry. Thanks Kerry

Wow, Thanks. Sorry I missed this!

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
I just realized how much I miss posting and commenting over here in this great community. I miss all you guys. Looks like it is time to come back and get caught up. What better way then to post in my own progress thread.

Has it really been over a year since an update? Oh, the journey I am on. It certainly is a process. So...

In January 2011 I was able to form my business entity, an LLC. I continued building my clientele and my expertise in the internet related fields throughout the year. My business continues to morph to meet the changing needs of my clients.

Most of 2011 was spent working with actual website clients and building out websites. I strengthened my community involvement in specific niches (and the reason for not as much involvement within this community) within the industry and established myself as somewhat of an expert (although I really don't like that term at all). My days were scheduled around getting my own personal education and trading time for money.

The second half of the year was spent continuing with what was built and laying a stronger foundation of affiliate ties to add some additional and more passive income. Being an affiliate marketer takes a lot of time and energy and basically has a relatively low income in comparison... mainly because it is not controlled by you. I had no intention of only being an affiliate marketer. My business model is simultaneously building multiple streams of income. Knowing this, I knew I needed to start moving toward developing my own products in addition to developing other people's products.

During a very slow 4th quarter and at the end of Novemeber, I launched two new child theme websites. One that is a micro-niche and another that is a broader spectrum of that same niche. My sites are Builder Child Themes and The Child Theme Store. A child theme is a theme that inherits the functionality of another theme, called the parent theme, and allows you to modify, or add to, the functionality of that parent theme.

My Builder Child Themes website sells themes designed for WordPress websites built on the Builder Theme Parent which is a robust theme platform great for WordPress website developers because of it vast flexibility. The Child Theme Store sells child themes developed for WordPress websites built for any parent theme.

Most of the first quarter of 2012 was spent recovering from my poor 4th quarter. I also used this time to review where I had been, where I was going and a plan to adjust what had not been working. I even decided that a part time JOB for some more stable income may not be a bad idea as long as it was going to build my online reputation and continue to help me learning. At the end of January, I applied for a support position. Turns out they had over 200 hundred applicants, hired 2 and I was number three - I took it as indication I was not meant to have the JOB and pressed onward. February and March turned out to be record income months - go figure.

April brought the tax season and the close of my first official year in business. I had learned tons and was basically on track for my plan. Building a business with time to invest takes a lot longer than building a business with money to invest. Especially starting with nothing.

There are many days that I think this is too hard and I would be better off just giving up, but as a type "A" personality, I cannot bring myself to do this. I have grown and learned so much and quitting would just be a waste of all that time. In reality, even though I still consider what I have to be my own self created JOB, at least I am enjoying it. I love what I do - especially when it helps someone.

Technically, all that I have left to do is change that helping some "one" into helping one-million.

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
I just realized how much I miss posting and commenting over here in this great community.

I feel the same as you. I love to come here because of this awesome community and like how my thoughts can become reality by being surrounded by like-minded people. Also it feels like a "pressure" to post your progress and share how well/not-so-well you're doing and keep improving.

During a very slow 4th quarter and at the end of Novemeber, I launched two new child theme websites

How is that going? I'm thinking of creating a couple of design templates to test how they can sell.

There are many days that I think this is too hard and I would be better off just giving up, but as a type "A" personality, I cannot bring myself to do this. I have grown and learned so much and quitting would just be a waste of all that time.

You said it: "I have grown and learned so much and quitting would just be a waste of all that time" These days just try to rest a bit and think about new ideas, most of the times you'll feel energized again when you start to generate crazy/cool ideas. Just don't give up, remember that here we want to hear your progress :)

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
How is that going?

Both sites pay for themselves each month and I make me a little. ;) Truth be told, some of the other avenues of my business have been so busy, I have not had much time to work on them since January. I did add some of my own themes in May: Themes by Me

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Been a long time since updating this thread. Seems working IN and ON my business takes time away from being able to be active here. I guess overall that is a good thing, right?

I have been working the 5 commandments into my business more and more. Getting closer and closer to owning a business that is actually fastlane.

I knew from the the onset of this journey that I needed to grow both personally and professionally before I would truly find my success. Being familiar with Robert's Cashflow Quadrant, I knew when I started I was completely working from within the "employee" quadrant. I had the personality of a self employed person but still had the employee job. I knew it would be a process to move quadrants. And I knew in order for me to get to the final destination and into the right side of the quadrants, it was probably in my best interest to move slower and more intentional, gaining a deep understanding of where I was and how to continue climbing.

During the last half of 2012 I focused on creating more value and increasing the number of streams of income I had coming into the business. I increased my prices though I was still selling my time by the hour (very slow lane). This was intentional while I built in some other more passive streams of income into the business. The plan was (is) still to replace the hourly work with proven passive streams of income and to continue adding additional passive streams of income into the business.

2013 was spent with more rate increases scheduled through the year at regular quarterly intervals. I did not allow existing clients to be grandfathered in. Interestingly, I only lost 2 clients while picking up 3 new clients (at the higher rate) within a month. I learned that it is OK to have clients leave... I did not need the ones not willing to pay. I had heard this, and shared this with many people without realizing that it was in fact a fear I had. Once I busted through that barrier things started to change in me.

2014 was spent growing my recurring income by increasing the number of clients I took on while continuing to add additional services. I also have a son who graduated from high school this year. His continuing education would place him at the Art Institute of Las Vegas for accelerated courses to become a Baking and Pastry Chef. Tuition was not going to be cheap.

I did decide to get a part time job in May just to offset the cost of his tuition. I did not want anything to interfere with the progress I had made with the business. I did NOT want to be working a job, but I did want to be able to leverage the income from it. As far as my decision to do this for my son? Well, I have my own agreement with him – rest assured there were some very intentional lessons for him to learn on this path as well.

It was a little bit of an adjustment getting back into the workforce. I intentionally got a job that was not related to anything I was doing for my business. I got a job that would increase my physical activity (I had gained 30 pounds since starting my business) and thus get me out from behind my desk
and moving again. I got a government job so I could finish out my remaining 6 years of government employment to qualify me for an early retirement with pay. Had I needed it, I could have also benefited from the health coverage.

The scarcity that getting a job placed on mr being available for my business increased my value again and I gained more work for the business than I ever had. At the same time, it became abundantly clear that because I had less time, I now needed to implement the value pricing rather than the hourly pricing.

By the end of 2014 I had about half of my income converted to a more passive type of income. Not completely passive but still moving in that direction.

2015 is continuing to go as planned, replacing still more of the money for time with value pricing and more passive style of income. This years focus has also been more about making myself more visible to my audience and starting to do more of what I want to do – travel. I am starting to speak at events related to the web tech industry and impact a greater number of people at a time.

I recently presented Business Concepts that Always Work – a culmination of Cashflow Quadrant and TMF concepts (with full attribution and promotion of both books) which was the result of a rewritten article I had posted a few years back based on things I have learned.

Am I where I want to be? That is a yes and a no answer. I am thrilled with where I am but even more excited knowing I have so many more (and better) things ahead of me.

I do believe I will eventually have a fastlane business. As far as meeting the commandments... I found my clients Need, I have met (and will continue to meet) the entry requirements, I am building the Control, I am finding ways to Scale and my Time needing to be present IN my business is diminishing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.