The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product pricing in B2B

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have a question about quoting prices.

If you have a business and new customers come to you for quotes on products how do you balance the line of: Lower pricing to win the bid and gain a new customer vs. Regular pricing which is more in line with normal margins and current customers?

Would you're strategy be to give up profit margin to obtain a new customer? At what point would your profit be too low to make it worth it? Would you ever sacrifice profit entirely ($0 profits on a sale) if it meant to secure a long term customer?

Assume that once a customer is secured you will get repeat long term business from the customer. Which brings another question... Once you start off with a low price point, it's difficult to raise prices on that customer. So it's a catch-22, is it better to have that customer at super low margins vs. no customer at all.

Is quoting prices a science or do you guys have a set formula?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
I have a question about quoting prices.

If you have a business and new customers come to you for quotes on products how do you balance the line of: Lower pricing to win the bid and gain a new customer vs. Regular pricing which is more in line with normal margins and current customers?

I sell the service of selling real estate. Its different than selling a product but here is my opinion: I don't cut fees. If I cut fees to gain new business its very hard to ever raise those fees. I also show the client/custimer that I am skilled and confident in negotiations by being willing to tell him "no" if he asks for a discount. My industry is absolutely full of commission cutters and I don't think I've ever lost a potential listing over commission rate.

As far as selling a product B2B, its probably not so simple. I guess it would depend upon the quality of your product relative to your competition and your ability to service the account. Is your item somewhat unique? Does it have a competitive advantage over the lower cost item? Can your buyer resell it better than the competing item and at a higher price? Will it be more profitable for him? If so, its your job to show him how he can actually make more money by paying a little more for your product. Also, when his business take off and he needs more product you will be in business to provide what he needs. The guy selling the cheap product may not make it. If your product would indeed provide additional benefits to the buyer you should be able to command a higher price, as long as its a win-win. If your product is the same as the others you better sell it cheaper, or better yet find a new product. If you can position you and your product as being high quality and worth the money you will almost always be better off than the cheapest guy on the block. Someone is always willing to work for less....let them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.