The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product Idea: The weighted backpack

Idea threads

Rob Tennant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Dec 29, 2013
Hey folks, hope everyone is doing well. Just throwing this idea out there to gauge interest, as I know a lot of you work out. I'm mid 40's and have banged up shoulders but still enjoy lifting. Shoulders aren't terrible, but bench press and dumbbell press aggravate them something fierce, esp if it's enough weight to be challenging.

I noticed pushups don't aggravate my shoulders the way the other pressing movements do. They allow much more scapular movement and hand placement options vs bench or DB press which pin you're back on the bench and impinge your shoulders. Its also a safer movement for obv reasons. So, I've slowly started adding plates, sort of trying to find the line where my shoulders start hurting. So far I'm up to 140 lbs with no shoulder pain and putting on size once again for the first time in years. You can also play with elevating your feet for a decline (essentially an incline press) vs adding more weight.

My backpack is starting to fall apart and its awkward trying to stand up w that much weight on your back. What I need is a backpack designed to hold my existing plates (std olympic) and a way to put it on thats safe and less awkward. Closest thing I see is the ruck sacks and super expensive weighted vests which don't utilize one's existing plates, and are very expensive. I have more nuanced value skews to make this idea better, but this is the general idea.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MarcusRich

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 13, 2022
Indiana
Hey folks, hope everyone is doing well. Just throwing this idea out there to gauge interest, as I know a lot of you work out. I'm mid 40's and have banged up shoulders but still enjoy lifting. Shoulders aren't terrible, but bench press and dumbbell press aggravate them something fierce, esp if it's enough weight to be challenging.

I noticed pushups don't aggravate my shoulders the way the other pressing movements do. They allow much more scapular movement and hand placement options vs bench or DB press which pin you're back on the bench and impinge your shoulders. Its also a safer movement for obv reasons. So, I've slowly started adding plates, sort of trying to find the line where my shoulders start hurting. So far I'm up to 140 lbs with no shoulder pain and putting on size once again for the first time in years. You can also play with elevating your feet for a decline (essentially an incline press) vs adding more weight.

My backpack is starting to fall apart and its awkward trying to stand up w that much weight on your back. What I need is a backpack designed to hold my existing plates (std olympic) and a way to put it on thats safe and less awkward. Closest thing I see is the ruck sacks and super expensive weighted vests which don't utilize one's existing plates, and are very expensive. I have more nuanced value skews to make this idea better, but this is the general idea.

Rob, I think it is an interesting idea for people with plates. It somewhat violates scale in that the target audience for this would be extremely limited. However, I do have a friend Fred that bought a few "Daily Carry" military bags and uses them for this exact purpose. The high tension carry bags would be a good start but I would also consider a high tension wire add-on you could thread through plates and easily add to a bag.

The Sandman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2022
I'm picturing using a standard olympic bar and weights, and strapping/hooking a board on your back that receives the bar.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Weight vests and ruck sacks have a decent market, but I think what you're describing might be far too narrow.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019

I have a weighted vest, and I love that thing so much. You're right, it was pretty expensive, but I'll tell you why I like it vs some other makeshift version: mobility. The thing is, your physical body is dynamic, and trying to maneuver in space with large olympic plates is not only impractical, but it is bound to restrict motility in one form or another.

Also, my weighted vest attaches small bundles of 2.5lbs steel plates all around me, in a way ensuring my center of gravity doesn't drastically shift away from the vertical. A heavy backpack will pull you backwards and overwork your flexors. Over time, a heavy backpack might hurt you more than it helps by way of changing your body dynamics.

Your approach is good - trying to figure out how to make use of what people already have at home, and place them in a backpack of sorts to increase weight. I'm just not sure strapping large plates onto the back of the body is the best way to do this.

Keep thinking through this - this is a fun problem to solve. I hope my input is of some value to you.

Rob Tennant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Dec 29, 2013
I have a weighted vest, and I love that thing so much. You're right, it was pretty expensive, but I'll tell you why I like it vs some other makeshift version: mobility. The thing is, your physical body is dynamic, and trying to maneuver in space with large olympic plates is not only impractical, but it is bound to restrict motility in one form or another.

Also, my weighted vest attaches small bundles of 2.5lbs steel plates all around me, in a way ensuring my center of gravity doesn't drastically shift away from the vertical. A heavy backpack will pull you backwards and overwork your flexors. Over time, a heavy backpack might hurt you more than it helps by way of changing your body dynamics.

Your approach is good - trying to figure out how to make use of what people already have at home, and place them in a backpack of sorts to increase weight. I'm just not sure strapping large plates onto the back of the body is the best way to do this.

Keep thinking through this - this is a fun problem to solve. I hope my input is of some value to you.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. When I hobbled this solution together and once again started pressing respectable weight (280+lbs for reps) 140lbs+ ~70% body weight with no pain it blew my mind. So that’s the big value prop. I wasn’t able to find what I was looking for so I decided to see if I could scratch my own itch.

I’m envisioning a pack/vest that can be used for weighted push-ups and weighted pulls ups that use existing weight plates, not specialty plates like ruck etc. To balance the load maybe front pockets hold smaller plates (25’s/35’s or so) and rear holds the 45’s. Maybe it’s hung from power rack so it can be put on in standing position. Plates are positioned high on torso to relieve low back and put weight where you want it.

To be honest my Current setup is surprisingly comfortable albeit awkward to get up from a seated position. It’s also efficient because you’re using ~70% of BW before adding any weight. Pressing 280lbs but loading 140lbs. Its probably one of those things that unless you try it, it may not make sense. It feels great to be pushing decent weight again pain free.

Or maybe this is another product. A different type of bench which allows all the scapular movement and shoulder packing the backpack provides without pinning your shoulders down? I don’t know. Anyway, appreciate all the suggestions and feedback.

Rob Tennant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Dec 29, 2013
I found this with a quick google search. Is that kind of what you're thinking?
I’ve seen that. It’s the closest thing to my idea I’ve seen, but not exactly what I had in mind. I’ve not used that one, but I’d wager to say it’s awkward as hell to get on/off, especially when it gets heavy. I think my current backpack setup would be easier and safer. What I had in mind would fix some of the issues I suspect that one has. Comfort, free scapular movement, and ease of getting on and off. I recently ordered one but don’t have it yet.

In under 2yrs from launch he’s got approx 30k sales if you go by 4% of sales leave reviews metric.

Likely going to scrap this, just trying to get my idea muscle back in shape here.

FIFL

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Feb 17, 2015
I have used backpacks with plates I own in it for things like pushups/chinups etc. You're right, it's not great for the backpack! The straps dig in, and it wears out the pack.

To be honest, after a few weeks of training in in that manner, I went back to a chain with a belt for chins and benchpress for chest - but then I didnt have any shoulder problems.

Thinking more on it, shoulder problems are damn common in the weight lifting game, I suppose most people who cant bench just do pushups with higher volume and less load

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.