The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Preforeclosure doorknocking scripts

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Brian Tracy and Tom Hopkins, a couple of the most recognizable and successful sales trainers in the nation, recommend using sales scripts to help you: 1) become better at selling your product or service and 2) to have predetermined responses prepared for your customer's objections. So, my question to those of you working preforeclosures (by doorknocking) is: do you use a script? If so, do you use it loosely or word-for-word? Or do you use a script mainly for handling objections?

If you do use a script for doorknocking, post it here! It would be a great opportunity to share and exchange ideas.

For example, you could post a general outline of your script when going to meet a prospect -
  • How you introduce yourself once they've opened the door
  • What your response is when they say "I've got it taken care of" or "what can you do for me that I haven't already tried"
  • What you say / do to build rapport and trust with the homeowner
  • What questions you ask the homeowner in order to lead them to realizing that they need you and your service, and that you ARE here to help
  • What you ask to determine their needs
  • How you present your offer
  • How you handle their objections
  • How you close the deal
  • What you've found that works and what doesn't
Or if don't feel like writing all of that (you could attach a Word file if you have it saved), maybe just list your scripts for overcoming some of the typical objections...

Thanks for sharing!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Adam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 12, 2007
Minneapolis
Communication with the homeowner during the foreclosure process is a very touchy subject. You have to be aware of the fact that the times leading up to foreclosure (and during) are extremely stressful and embarassing for the homeowner. More often than not, they have not told neighbors, friends & other family members. If you are going door-to-door soliciting those that in foreclosure, be prepared to deal with confrontations with some very upset people.

We will never approach someone that is in foreclosure. We only deal with those that have been referred to us. From my perspective, we have enough referrals, and I only want to work with those that want to be helped. I don't have the energy to try to convince someone that they need help.

Now, I'm not sure what you are presenting to the homeowner? Are you trying to purchase the property? List the property?

If you are just looking to buy, I would recommend getting in front of some RE agents that deal solely with foreclosure properties. We have purchased many really good foreclosures (pre-MLS) from agents. Basically, someone else has already gone through all of the "scripts" that you mention above and the homeowner is already willing work with us.

Now, when dealing with a client that has been referred to us from someone that is not in the business and we are doing our "meet & greet", we always play the role of trusted advisor. We always try to accomodate their needs and are very sensitive to the nature of the situation.

We always show the client that they are always better off being proactive rather than reactive when dealing with their lender. We also have discussions about how to mend their current financial situation so that they can move on from this and no longer be a "foreclosure statistic." If you are aware of the homeowner's short-term needs and help them get on the path of achieving their long-term goals, they are typically very willing to hear you out.

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
Would it be a good idea to write a forethought letter so you can explain all your best points and advice without the risk of upsetting someone and having a door slammed in your face?

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
kwerner,

these questions are what reipro can gives you great details on. perhaps you can post it in the other thread about topics to be covered.

i think reipro would most likely tell you to dig out the homeowners pain. to ask questions which lead in the right direction of making the homeowner realize things that they might not have realized before. something along the lines of "how did you get into this type of situation?". based on their reponses you structure your next set of questions accordingly.

many of the questions you post above i have not mastered myself. especially the "taken care of" one. i try not to be too pushy and usually make a 2nd trip back in hopes they open up some more.

--

Adam,

How are you obtaining your leads? It would be nice to setup a networking group in which they've already done some of the meet and greet as you mention. Perhaps you could share a little of how you setup your method for obtaining leads so that you don't have to doorknock yourself.

it would be helpful ;]

ryan

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Now, when dealing with a client that has been referred to us from someone that is not in the business and we are doing our "meet & greet", we always play the role of trusted advisor. We always try to accomodate their needs and are very sensitive to the nature of the situation.

Please be careful with this approach. Many states have or are creating laws that don't allow people to 'advice' distressed homeowner and then buy the property. We discussed that here and also you can read more about it here.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Thanks for the post Andres. There are currently 11 states with pretty stiff penalties if you are a "foreclosure consultant." For example, one state says the seller has the right FOREVER to undo the sale if it's been made to a foreclosure consultant. (Can you imagine 3 years from now, prices jump and the seller comes back and demands, legally, that you sell it back for what you paid? What a mess!)

Adam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 12, 2007
Minneapolis
Please be careful with this approach. Many states have or are creating laws that don't allow people to 'advice' distressed homeowner and then buy the property. We discussed that here and also you can read more about it here.

You are correct. Nothing that we do would ever fall under the catagory of being a "foreclosure consultant," as black and white as the line between being a consultant may seem, there are ways (disclosures, etc) to prevent yourself from falling under that particular designation.

We are in the business of obtaining property. We also try to help those that we are doing business with (the homeowner, in some cases.) We will provide limited assistance AFTER the foreclosure; ie - not leaving them on the street, referring them to credit repair, etc.

You will never see us in the business of fighting the foreclosure process, obtaining forebearance agreements, pre-foreclosure workouts, etc. Its hard to describe our processes in a paragraph or two, but I can assure you that our attorney has picked through everything with a fine tooth comb. And charged us for it. Personally, most of what I do is on the commercial side, however, the processes are similar, but with less liability with the commercial foreclosures.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.