The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Preferred method for reading

triodine

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 26, 2019
I've always been a huge physical book guy myself, but with books ranging from 10-30 bucks (worth it but adds up) + now having to store the books is starting to take up a ton of space in my place.

I'm considering jumping into the world of e-readers. What are people's experiences with them? I can't do a prolonged reading session on my phone or laptop as easily as with a physical book, even with notifications off/ airplane mode on its just not the same for me. I know it's not going to be a 1:1 comparison to reading on paper, but does it at least mimic the feeling of reading on paper at all?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jmin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
May 30, 2020
United Kingdom
I've always been a huge physical book guy myself, but with books ranging from 10-30 bucks (worth it but adds up) + now having to store the books is starting to take up a ton of space in my place.

I'm considering jumping into the world of e-readers. What are people's experiences with them? I can't do a prolonged reading session on my phone or laptop as easily as with a physical book, even with notifications off/ airplane mode on its just not the same for me. I know it's not going to be a 1:1 comparison to reading on paper, but does it at least mimic the feeling of reading on paper at all?

I love my Kindle. Especially for reading in bed or on the go...

The main advantage is having my highlights on my computer automatically. Although it took a while to get used to not highlighting too much....

I have it linked up to readwise to send me a daily email with a random selection of highlights

I wouldn't say it mimics the feeling of reading on paper. But it's certainly a lot better than reading on a phone.

drahz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2019
I used to read on Kindle a lot... IMO it is better than a physical book, lighter, highlighted and as you said you can have tons of books there.

about 3 years ago I switched to Audible... and I do not even think about taking a book or e-reader since.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I used to read on Kindle a lot... IMO it is better than a physical book, lighter, highlighted and as you said you can have tons of books there.

about 3 years ago I switched to Audible... and I do not even think about taking a book or e-reader since.
I hate reading on my computer because it makes my eyes sore.

Having been an avid reader since early childhood I adopted a form of speed reading. Not the classic style, but what I call skim reading. I would venture to say that not many people have read every volume of the Encyclopedia Britannica, but I did so as a child in hospital.

I can get the gist of a sentence from the first few words, but sometimes I have to read the last few words as well.

When proof reading my own work it is a different matter. I studiously read every word, and I am rarely content with doing it once only.

Audio books are great for learning while traveling. Not only do they help while away the time, but the audio is more likely to penetrate the subconscious.

Walter

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

C83SG95

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 7, 2019
You don't need a fancy e reader just have a decent sized phone and use that. The paperwhite was nice but i prefer just using my iPhone now as it's always with me and with the anti blue light mode it's just as good on your eyes. The iBooks app looks great and you can still use the Kindle app to if you prefer that.

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
You don't need a fancy e reader just have a decent sized phone and use that. The paperwhite was nice but i prefer just using my iPhone now as it's always with me and with the anti blue light mode it's just as good on your eyes. The iBooks app looks great and you can still use the Kindle app to if you prefer that.

If that's all you have, that's awesome. But if you do a lot of reading (like juggling 2-3 books at the same time like I do), get the Paperwhite 3 or 4. The refresh rate on the Paperwhite is less than ones on your phone, so you'll have less headaches and eye strain when reading versus a phone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.