The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Positive affirmation RAHRAH

Anything related to matters of the mind

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
Hey guys, I'm wondering what you guys think of positive affirmations like "I'm good", "I'm happy","I can get whatever I want". I'm totally open-minded, was listening a book named "Conversation with god by Neale Donald". Someone heavily suggested me this book, so i tried to get a shot on it.

This book is full of positive thinking, love, fear, love of people, love of life etc... Usually i'm a rational male, I mean, i believe in what i see by the actions of the other or my self, not what someone tell me.

And this book is full of what you guys call "RAHRAH", Do you guys usually use positive affirmations ? Do you find it really gamechanging for your life/business ?

Personally i think this is a scam of the self help industry, I know a lot of people like that, they are acting like everything is ok, everything is good, they are 150kg but they say I will lose weight. I don't even go to the gym.
But maybe i'm in the wrong way of thinking...

So what do you guys think about these positive affirmations ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think affirmations have their place because it amounts to self-talk, the conversation between your mind and your soul.

If your mind tells you over and over that you're a piece of shit and you'll never succeed, yea, there's a problem there and affirmations might reverse the tide. A solid internal mind-game ultimately must manifest into a solid outside action-game of getting stuff done.

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
I think affirmations have their place because it amounts to self-talk, the conversation between your mind and your soul.

If your mind tells you over and over that you're a piece of shit and you'll never succeed, yea, there's a problem there and affirmations might reverse the tide. A solid internal mind-game ultimately must manifest into a solid outside action-game of getting stuff done.

Considering this way, yes, in fact, i don't remember a time when my mind was telling me "ur a shit". Crossed a lot of tough ways though. In fact, i think as u said, action-game is more important, and when you do, you earn.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
A few times I have used them in a morning journal and it has instantly changed my mood for the rest of the day to something much better.

Learning about it has also stopped me pretty quickly (instantly) when thinking negative thoughts about myself, which in years past could go on forever.

Edit: I suppose I am thinking more of gratitude journaling than affirmations actually.

Last edited:

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
wow thank you guys, really interesting reactions. Make me wondering and changing my belief about that, love this !!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Affirmations are not necessary but can be helpful at times. Does anybody go through life with a positive self-image all the time? I would think not.

I don't use them exactly. But I do have a number of exercises that are similar. For example, I try to keep myself focused on how energy is being used. Multiple times through the day I stop and ask "am I happy?". If not, why? Or what am I splattering on my life's palette to make me feel certain emotions.

Not exactly affirmations but along the same lines.

Last edited:

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
You should definitely listen to this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm5J_Y-F1xU

and also read the book (it's for 2.30).

I have always thought that this is some 'Tony Robbins self-help industry scam', but actually it's easier. I think Tony and the gang overcomplicate things. He also mentions in his most popular book "Awaken..." many steps we should take, the whole book is about it, but I found the answer in the beginning. He wrote he read 700 books and spent 12 years on this... So instead of doing what he says in the book, read 700 books and spend 12 years on self-development.

95% of our time we operate via our unconscious mind. What gets there? Whatever you encountered in your childhood, when the mind is the most open, but also the most repetitive things (Donts, rules, boundries, limitations)... 75% of our self-talk is negative.

If you have a great family then you are lucky. If not then practicing self-talk is one of the most important exercises you can do daily. But with a plan and within some 'rules'. Check out the link and the book.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
So affirmations can be risky.

if you're thinking "I'm happy" and then after that your brain goes "no I'm not" it's basically like saying "I'm happy.. that's complete bullshit,""I'm happy.. that's complete bullshit,""I'm happy.. that's complete bullshit" over and over and people with low self esteem are actually harmed by stuff like this.

if you say 'I'm happy" and your brain doesn't resist.. go for it

but note there are much more powerful techniques for belief change than affirmations

95% of our time we operate via our unconscious mind. What gets there? Whatever you encountered in your childhood, when the mind is the most open, but also the most repetitive things (Donts, rules, boundries, limitations)... 75% of our self-talk is negative.

bingo.. see the problem with affirmations is that they ,mostly deal with the conscious mind... most of our beliefs are deeply rooted in the unconscious... i suggest IFS.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
positive affirmation can be as bad as negative affirmation.
If you're playing tennis and you hit a great shot, and you say "wow i hit a really great shot",
then you hit 3 more great shots, "wow i almost got 5 great shots in a row, just one more!!!"
youre gonna miss the next one.

dru-man

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jun 7, 2013
Southeast Asia
I'm doing self-hypnosis twice a day, everyday right now, as part of my customized 75-day Challenge. I'm on a 20-day streak already.

I change the hypnosis after a week or two to whatever I'm most interested in changing about my habits and mindset (and just to keep the words from getting redundant and losing their effect). So far is has brought back an intense entrepreneurial drive that I lost many years ago after some rough tumbles and given me much more focus, confidence, and decisiveness.

I'm logging a lot more work hours and a lot less hours on social media and info snacking.

John D.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Aug 26, 2016
I believe affirmations only work if you support them with action.

If you stand in front of the mirror and say to yourself that you're a productive, 24/7 hustle-till-I-die type of guy, and then go on and lay on the couch all day... your unconsciousness will reject every statement you say to yourself.

I'd say focus more on your to-do list. Each item you cross off reaffirms your new identity and builds belief that you actually are the person you say you are.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
I dont believe in false affirmations, but if you do good, tell yourself you do good.
Likewise, take others' opinions with a grain of salt, but consider why they give their opinion how they do.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I'm an INFP-T, so for me positive affirmations are a natural part of who I am. While I agree, they don't always work to get me out of a really ugly day. They never hurt and prevent the day from getting any worse. I also smile and say thank you for every sun rise I observe - almost every day given my schedule. There's something about a beautiful sunrise to put a smile on one's face. Lastly, there's enough ugly in the world and plenty of people who seem to enjoy making others feel bad. So why pile on? Like everything in our lives - we must take control and drive to the life we want.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
bingo.. see the problem with affirmations is that they ,mostly deal with the conscious mind... most of our beliefs are deeply rooted in the unconscious... i suggest IFS.

Can you elaborate a bit more please?

Repeating positive self-talk, tailored to your own circumstances (so that you buy it on a deep emotional level) is really effective. But as you are mentioning something different which might be better.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Can you elaborate a bit more please?

Repeating positive self-talk, tailored to your own circumstances (so that you buy it on a deep emotional level) is really effective. But as you are mentioning something different which might be better.
So let's say there's a girl that as a child she was constantly berated for being fat. People in school told her 'you're fat,' 'you're ugly.' and those thoughts went deep into her unconscious. Now 6 years later she's lost the weight, learned some style and is stunning. Looks like a model.

But still feels ugly.

This story is actually a girl I know. People tell her she's stunning all day. She gets thousands of instagram comments saying she's gorgeous. She's actually one of the prettiest chicks I know. But she still feels ugly. Why? Because her experiences as a child are still deeply rooted in her unconscious.

She might even logically know that she's beautiful, but still feel otherwise.

Affirmations are sometimes the equivalent of 1000 instagram comments. They get into the logical mind, but not the emotional mind. So affirmations can actually set up conflict if the logical mind thinks something different from the emotional mind.

The best solution is to do a deep dive back to the experiences that first convinced them they were ugly, and once those are healed the emotional mind no longer believes it's ugly.

The same thing with wealth. You can be fed messages like 'rich people are evil,' 'more doesn't buy happiness,' 'you have to do immoral things together rich' and you might logically know that rich people are generally good people who create value, but if you emotionally believe that rich = bad, you'll do things that sabotage your efforts to get rich.

The problem is that the mind isn't one unified system.The brain is this hodgepodge of different evolutionary structures. It's capable of multiple, often contradictory thoughts and feelings, sometimes at the same time. Someone's emotional part might want love, but their fear part might want to not get hurt. Their logical part might know they're pretty, but their emotional part might feel like they're not. So that's why I recommend IFS. It's a good way of getting to those different parts.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Positive affirmations can be great.

But, they can be made better by combining them with:

1. Visualizing your goal,
2. Visualizing your biggest internal obstacle (fear, the Script, imposter syndrome, etc...)
3. Creating a plan to overcome that obstacle

This is called WOOP

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Positive affirmations can be great.

But, they can be made better by combining them with:

1. Visualizing your goal,
2. Visualizing your biggest internal obstacle (fear, the Script, imposter syndrome, etc...)
3. Creating a plan to overcome that obstacle

This is called WOOP

I sooooo love Gabriele Oettingen. I think she's right, but the only issue i see with her Mental Contrasting method is that she's the only one who's done studies on them. The method really needs indepentaant research to see how well it replicates. Like she's done like a bajillion studies herself, but no one else has done studies on it. It could be a really powerful thing if other researchers confirmed her findings.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I sooooo love Gabriele Oettingen. I think she's right, but the only issue i see with her Mental Contrasting method is that she's the only one who's done studies on them. The method really needs indepentaant research to see how well it replicates. Like she's done like a bajillion studies herself, but no one else has done studies on it. It could be a really powerful thing if other researchers confirmed her findings.

Great point @ChrisV.

It would be great to see some replication of her her results.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.