The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts on affirmations.

Anything related to matters of the mind

ramos111

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 23, 2022
A few days ago I found this affirmation list that a guy from Twitter read every morning. I found it quite long so I kept it to take a look later. ( I don't remember where it's from nor the author ). Here's his list:
- Today is a great day to build.

- No one is responsible for my success besides me.

- I welcome the learning process with open arms.

- Everyone was once a beginner.

- Mastery over my craft is the highest accolade.

- I will not let someone else define my self-worth.

- To unlock the upside, I must face the risk of the downside.

- I need to be patiently impatient and have a bias toward action.

- The enemy of long-term compounding is short-term results.

- Wealth is built over decades, not days. ( I would change this to years instead of decades to sound less from the SCRIPTED OS )

- I have no competition because I am only competing against myself.

- The world rewards those who do what others do not.

- I trust myself and my convictions.

- Every failure is an opportunity to learn.

- Every success is an opportunity to start again.

- Forward is the only option. There is no going back.

- I own my shortcomings—and leverage them to my advantage.

- Dwelling on a mistake where the lesson has already been extracted is a waste of precious time.

- My potential knows no limits.

- Simplicity is velocity because the simple thing is the hard thing.

- It's better to move slowly in the right direction than quickly in the wrong direction.

- I do not accept any obstacle in my way.

- "Tomorrow" is an excuse. Do it now or don't do it at all.

- I don't know how yet—but I will figure it out.

- What I once wanted, I currently have. (The destination isn't what matters.)

- Hours are a poor measure of effort. Intentional practice is the only thing that matters.

- I will not judge my entire life based on any single day.

- Better to be singular and deep than multifaceted and shallow.

- Real progress is made in silence.

- Life is not a zero-sum game. We can all win.

It has a very woo-woo kind of feel to it and some are not totally true... But what do you guys think about this? Good practice to improve mindset? I know it's important to care about mindset for its influence can reach physiological levels, but do similar affirmations do something for you?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Are you supposed to memorize and recite it? Seems quite long.

I like more the idea of having a catchphrase / personal motto rather than a prayer-like list of statements.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I agree with most of it. When these "affirmations" are part of your life and personality, repeating them seems to be overkill. Seems like the need for these affirmations would be for people with fixed mindset issues.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
If you're going to take time to read affirmations every day, why not write/read your own?

And, if you're going to spend your time talking to yourself - what someone else told you to say - why not do something useful instead? Use that time to take action in life, not talk about taking action.

Hard pass for me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hexelbyte

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
May 31, 2021
Houston, TX
Playing Devil's Advocate:

1. Twitter handle is trying to build that 'self-development' following. I remember seeing 'platitudes' all the time there. Felt like a giant circle jerk.

2. Reading is one thing, doing is another. Most people that read these motivation posts just want to 'feel good' instead of actually doing something with it. Social media dopamine is hell of a drug.

3. Self-development space on Twitter always end with some upselling. Word of caution is all. Nothing is free.

TLDR:
Just be careful, sure the words are 'uplifting' but like MJ says...
Action Taker or Action Faker

aechyde

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 7, 2022
Playing Devil's Advocate:

1. Twitter handle is trying to build that 'self-development' following. I remember seeing 'platitudes' all the time there. Felt like a giant circle jerk.

2. Reading is one thing, doing is another. Most people that read these motivation posts just want to 'feel good' instead of actually doing something with it. Social media dopamine is hell of a drug.

3. Self-development space on Twitter always end with some upselling. Word of caution is all. Nothing is free.
Agreed. A lot of Twitter is grifting, where they hire 'ghostwriters' (the account owners don't even write it themselves!) to post tweets simple enough to reach the masses (to get the viral engagement), but with a small twist which sounds great in theory, but doesn't really help because it's so generic. Platitudes.

@ramos111 I agree with the idea of affirmations. The stories you tell yourself build you up to the moon or break you down into oblivion. As for affirmations, I've found attaching stories behind each one helps you change your beliefs for the better.

What's the evidence that you embody the affirmation? Attach it on.

E.g. "No one is responsible for my success besides me." --> "I am responsible for my own success BECAUSE I am jacked now thanks to my responsibility in my discipline and routine." (example)

"To unlock the upside, I must face the risk of the downside." --> "I'm excited to face the risk of downside BECAUSE I took X risk in the past and it got me Y success."

Hope that helps.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.