What's new

Plastic and Pepper Spray

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

garyjsmith

Regular Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Unscripted!
Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Messages
184
Location
Northern VA
Rep Bank
$1,040
User Power: 195%
I had a monumental FTE last year in April [2016].

At the time, I was working for a gov't contractor as a multimedia developer and was in line to become a gov't employee, the next step in my career if I wanted to see even better pay and become bulletproof in the face of layoffs. I was commuting 2 hours in one direction, justifying the drive while being worthless to my family because the pay allowed us to...follow the Scripted route. I'd get up at 430 am and get home at 7 pm. I'd fight to stay awake on the drives home. It was terrible, but this was what I thought life had to be.

The age of my government-employed coworkers varied. Most were in range to retire, and retirements came frequently. They had climbed to the top, been congratulated for their 30 years of service, and now were primed for 'the golden years.' I looked at them and thought, "only 30 years to go. Is that right, 30 years?? I have to do this for 30 more years?"

Then it happened.

A friend from my high school graduating class began sharing his entrepreneurial ventures, quotes, and reading recommendations on social media. Curious, I bit. I purchased and read Rich Dad Poor Dad, The 10X Rule, and saw the Secret all in the same period. My mind was blown. "This is it, this is how you get rich," I said to myself. I could do it too.

I began investing in myself, reading everything I could on wealth creation and personal development. I attended BNIs, networked with others, and met with successful people in my area. I felt I had stumbled on the code to being wealthy and I was ready to do all it took to take that route.

While still working for the contractor, I spent my days coming up with ideas, brainstorming multiple companies, figuring out which of my friends would work and oversee the companies so I could have multiples streams of income while working my main job. I purchased LLCs and put myself out there. Chamber loaded with the idea that 1) I had to be fearless, 2) obscurity was my enemy, and 3) the Universe was going to give me what I needed if I aligned myself, I was ready to 'make it.'

After reading 10X Rule, Sell or Be Sold, The Closers Survival Guide, and any other book written/recorded by a sales guru, I left my job as a contractor and took a 100% commission sales position with a local fencing company. I could do it, I knew I could. And according to the company, I would be making the same money as in my former salary position, while being closer to home, making my own schedule, and only in the office up to 1.5hrs a week. Sweet. I'll buy that, and I did. Additionally, it SEEMED I'd be able to run my other businesses when I wasn't running leads. After spending 4 hours a day commuting, I was ready to see my family again and take care of my duties as a husband /father/homeowner.

For your sake, I've abbreviated this passed year. I started three LLCs, one was upholstery, the other a potential donut food trailer, and last is a graphic design business. The upholstery was profitable, but I had created another job, especially since my employee never showed up. The time it took to run the upholstery biz was eating in to the time it took to write proposals and sell fences. Sales was the job I needed. It was my bread and butter and could not be neglected; my family depended on that income. I chose to let the upholstery business fade into the background.

The donut trailer was a solid idea for our area and my location was going to be prime, but in talking to a professional in that field with 20 years exp, I had created another job and, as they said, "money would walk away from the business if I thought I could run it from afar." Discouraged, I pulled the plug before investing the money required to run a food business.

Lastly is the graphics-based company. It still exists and is framed to house my future endeavors. I have a degree in media arts and animation, and experience with coding, e-learning, 3D modeling, print and 3D replication down to the millimeter. I know the ins and outs, and if I don't know a specific, I have connections who do. I believe I can serve the most people with my knowledge in this field and so that's my goal.

So here's where I am currently. Winter had made the sales position tough. Leads were poor at best and checks kept getting leaner. I had reached the point where I used the whole check on gas to get from point A to B. The promise that things would take off in spring fell flat on its face. I didn't want to give up 3 feet from gold, but my family was hurting and my bills were now going unpaid. I reached out to multiple former employers and found employment with one of the big companies that had hired me out of college. I left sales and went back to cubeland.

Hungrier than ever, I read, I dig, I learn, I take action, in pursuit of getting out. I have to make this work. In my 32 years, I've been on the sidewalk, I've been in the slow lane. I've lived the Scripted life, even when I didn't know that was what I was doing. I want out. I want to live life on my terms. My family needs better from me and they are my 'why.'
 
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Hsiev opvsu epf ximduni.

Qmetvod epf Qiqqis Tqsez

Xupfis jux nepz qiuqmi iwip lpux xjev vjev ot sigissoph vu.
 
Hesz - puv tasi og zua'si mowoph op us esuapf vji Cimvxez, cav miewoph vjev qmedi xet upi ug vji citv vjopht O'wi iwis fupi. Vjisi ot mogi uavtofi ug ov! Dutv ug mowoph, dunnavi voni, epf nasfis sevit esi muxis katv ecuav iwiszxjisi imti. Upmz vjoph O nott ot nz gewusovi tatjo qmedi up Duppidvodav Ewi.

Ifov: Tussz - pux O tii Miitcash. Dunnavoph gsun vjisi vu katv ecuav epzxjisi uvjis vjep Jispfup/Sitvup ot exgam.
 
Hesz - puv tasi og zua'si mowoph op us esuapf vji Cimvxez, cav miewoph vjev qmedi xet upi ug vji citv vjopht O'wi iwis fupi. Vjisi ot mogi uavtofi ug ov! Dutv ug mowoph, dunnavi voni, epf nasfis sevit esi muxis katv ecuav iwiszxjisi imti. Upmz vjoph O nott ot nz gewusovi tatjo qmedi up Duppidvodav Ewi.

Ifov: Tussz - pux O tii Miitcash. Dunnavoph gsun vjisi vu katv ecuav epzxjisi uvjis vjep Jispfup/Sitvup ot exgam.

Zua qodlif vji sohjv qmedi vu neli zuas itdeqi. O wedevoup aq vjisi epf jewi nz xjumi mogi. Nz nun't genomz ot gsun Xumgicusu epf nz duatop dassipvmz mowit op Nuamvupcusuahj. Xjip O hiv getvmepi, O'mm ci kuopoph zua, vjisi't pu fuacv ecuav ov.
 
Vjip zua jewip'v sief (us gopotjif) vji cuul. Tjeni tjeni.

Fup'v sinincis ov ev emm.

Epf O fup'v jewi zuas cuul epznusi. O emsiefz hewi exez 2 duqoit!
 
Vjip zua jewip'v sief (us gopotjif) vji cuul. Tjeni tjeni.

Gappomz ipuahj, ov ot vji tidvoup O fuwi opvu metv pohjv epf xet apecmi vu tvuq siefoph. Eqqiest vu ci vji tvesv ug tuni ug vji nutv iqod qehit op vji cuul!

Hsiev opvsu epf tvusz UQ. Vjsuxoph zuastimg opvu e temit kuc ot vji teni suavi O'wi velip. Vjisi esi qmipvz ug temit kuct vjev xomm qez zua e fidipv ceti xovj e jigvz dunnottoup up vuq, emvjuahj O haitt zuas mudevoup nez jewi tunivjoph vu tez ecuav vjev, O'n puv tasi. Iovjis xez, temit sumit jewi disveop ipvsiqsipiasoem etqidvt epf fiwimuq tlommt vjev esi ietomz vseptgissecmi opvu zuas tofi jatvmit epf qsukidvt. O'n 'nepehoph nz catopitt' op nepz sitqidvt. O'f ci hivvoph uav ug vjev dacodmi raodl tnesv!
 
Japhsois vjep iwis, O sief, O foh, O miesp, O veli edvoup, op qastaov ug hivvoph uav. O jewi vu neli vjot xusl. Op nz 32 ziest, O'wi ciip up vji tofixeml, O'wi ciip op vji tmux mepi. O'wi mowif vji Tdsoqvif mogi, iwip xjip O fofp'v lpux vjev xet xjev O xet fuoph. O xepv uav. O xepv vu mowi mogi up nz visnt. Nz genomz piift civvis gsun ni epf vjiz esi nz 'xjz.'

Ximduni Ximduni Ximduni - Siefoph zuas tvusz, O en ectumavimz nuwif epf gammz uwistvepf zuas raitv, vjev oppis-fsowi ot xjev xomm dupvopai vu veli zua ejief epf O lpux sohjv pux zua'si giimoph csulip, cav xovj vjev GVI - zua'wi huv vjev Gohjvoph, Xoppoph epf Aptdsoqvif Tqosov fiiq xovjop. Zuas kuaspiz otp'v fupi, zuas fsowi xomm ci veloph zua ges epf cizupf.


"Qmetvod epf Qiqqis Tqsez"

Xupfis jux nepz qiuqmi iwip lpux xjev vjev ot sigissoph vu.

Uj Ug Duasti - Qmetvod epf Qiqqis Tqsez - Emxezt cioph Siefz gus vji qesvodames Djemmiphi ev jepf (itqidoemmz xjisi ettittoph epf efkatvoph ot dupdispif) ; ov't puv emxezt ecuav jewoph quxis vuumt, cav jewoph iggidvowi vuumt fiqipfipv up vji uavduni xi siraosi, ectumavimz muwif vjot qjomutuqjz johjmohjvif op vji cuul.
 
Vjepl zua emm gus veloph vji voni vu sief nz tvusz, epf vjepl zua gus ximdunoph ni.

E zies ot ep optohpogodepv tqep xjip qastaoph e foggisipv mogi, cav O tqipv vjev tvsivdj tiiloph uvjist xovj e moli nopftiv vjsuahj netvisnopft, pivxusloph hsuaqt, epf dumf demmoph catopitt uxpist. E gsoipf epf nipvus vumf ni, "vjiz'si uav vjisi, cav zua'si huoph vu jewi vu hu vjsuahj e muv ug qiuqmi vu gopf vjin." O'n hmef nz qistotvipdi qeof ugg. Vjot ot xjev O xepvif
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom