The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Plastic Enclosure Fabrication

brandonious

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 18, 2022
I have a project that is a bit time-sensitive with fall and winter coming on, that I'd like to get out the door. A couple weeks ago, I finally completed iterating on the circuitry and the plastic enclosure. I submitted the CAD files to a US based manufacturer, and was told "We're not interested in doing business.", likely because I said I wasn't sure about what future volume looks like.

This enclosure takes a good 24 -48 hours to 3d print, so that's not an option right now for going to market.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a company (preferably American, but, at this point, I don't care, I've had a couple of these rejections, I'd be fine with a Chinese company if they support this), that will do both small and large batch runs equally? Yes, I am willing to pay more for my first run, which I plan to just be 20 or 50 depending on the quote.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Sandman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jul 12, 2022
I have a project that is a bit time-sensitive with fall and winter coming on, that I'd like to get out the door. A couple weeks ago, I finally completed iterating on the circuitry and the plastic enclosure. I submitted the CAD files to a US based manufacturer, and was told "We're not interested in doing business.", likely because I said I wasn't sure about what future volume looks like.

This enclosure takes a good 24 -48 hours to 3d print, so that's not an option right now for going to market.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a company (preferably American, but, at this point, I don't care, I've had a couple of these rejections, I'd be fine with a Chinese company if they support this), that will do both small and large batch runs equally? Yes, I am willing to pay more for my first run, which I plan to just be 20 or 50 depending on the quote.

Don't have nearly enough info here to really advise. Why do you think you need a custom box?

1) Shop for something off the shelf. There are TONS of boxes available, why does this need to be custom?

Lots of options for "project boxes" as well.

2) Search local plastic supply/fabrication shops. Good option for low volume. They can bend/weld simple boxes and the material is much better than from a typical 3D printer. 3D printers are great for prototyping and appeal to people who don't understand materials and manufacturing. You can go to a steel fab shop as well for industrial-style enclosures.

3) If the box requires detailed features you can have them machined at a machine shop. Starting from a solid block of material or ideally an off-the-shelf box.

4) If you want something custom injection molded you'll need to buy the tooling or commit to very high volumes.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.