The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Plastic and Pepper Spray

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
I had a monumental FTE last year in April [2016].

At the time, I was working for a gov't contractor as a multimedia developer and was in line to become a gov't employee, the next step in my career if I wanted to see even better pay and become bulletproof in the face of layoffs. I was commuting 2 hours in one direction, justifying the drive while being worthless to my family because the pay allowed us to...follow the Scripted route. I'd get up at 430 am and get home at 7 pm. I'd fight to stay awake on the drives home. It was terrible, but this was what I thought life had to be.

The age of my government-employed coworkers varied. Most were in range to retire, and retirements came frequently. They had climbed to the top, been congratulated for their 30 years of service, and now were primed for 'the golden years.' I looked at them and thought, "only 30 years to go. Is that right, 30 years?? I have to do this for 30 more years?"

Then it happened.

A friend from my high school graduating class began sharing his entrepreneurial ventures, quotes, and reading recommendations on social media. Curious, I bit. I purchased and read Rich Dad Poor Dad, The 10X Rule, and saw the Secret all in the same period. My mind was blown. "This is it, this is how you get rich," I said to myself. I could do it too.

I began investing in myself, reading everything I could on wealth creation and personal development. I attended BNIs, networked with others, and met with successful people in my area. I felt I had stumbled on the code to being wealthy and I was ready to do all it took to take that route.

While still working for the contractor, I spent my days coming up with ideas, brainstorming multiple companies, figuring out which of my friends would work and oversee the companies so I could have multiples streams of income while working my main job. I purchased LLCs and put myself out there. Chamber loaded with the idea that 1) I had to be fearless, 2) obscurity was my enemy, and 3) the Universe was going to give me what I needed if I aligned myself, I was ready to 'make it.'

After reading 10X Rule, Sell or Be Sold, The Closers Survival Guide, and any other book written/recorded by a sales guru, I left my job as a contractor and took a 100% commission sales position with a local fencing company. I could do it, I knew I could. And according to the company, I would be making the same money as in my former salary position, while being closer to home, making my own schedule, and only in the office up to 1.5hrs a week. Sweet. I'll buy that, and I did. Additionally, it SEEMED I'd be able to run my other businesses when I wasn't running leads. After spending 4 hours a day commuting, I was ready to see my family again and take care of my duties as a husband /father/homeowner.

For your sake, I've abbreviated this passed year. I started three LLCs, one was upholstery, the other a potential donut food trailer, and last is a graphic design business. The upholstery was profitable, but I had created another job, especially since my employee never showed up. The time it took to run the upholstery biz was eating in to the time it took to write proposals and sell fences. Sales was the job I needed. It was my bread and butter and could not be neglected; my family depended on that income. I chose to let the upholstery business fade into the background.

The donut trailer was a solid idea for our area and my location was going to be prime, but in talking to a professional in that field with 20 years exp, I had created another job and, as they said, "money would walk away from the business if I thought I could run it from afar." Discouraged, I pulled the plug before investing the money required to run a food business.

Lastly is the graphics-based company. It still exists and is framed to house my future endeavors. I have a degree in media arts and animation, and experience with coding, e-learning, 3D modeling, print and 3D replication down to the millimeter. I know the ins and outs, and if I don't know a specific, I have connections who do. I believe I can serve the most people with my knowledge in this field and so that's my goal.

So here's where I am currently. Winter had made the sales position tough. Leads were poor at best and checks kept getting leaner. I had reached the point where I used the whole check on gas to get from point A to B. The promise that things would take off in spring fell flat on its face. I didn't want to give up 3 feet from gold, but my family was hurting and my bills were now going unpaid. I reached out to multiple former employers and found employment with one of the big companies that had hired me out of college. I left sales and went back to cubeland.

Hungrier than ever, I read, I dig, I learn, I take action, in pursuit of getting out. I have to make this work. In my 32 years, I've been on the sidewalk, I've been in the slow lane. I've lived the Scripted life, even when I didn't know that was what I was doing. I want out. I want to live life on my terms. My family needs better from me and they are my 'why.'

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro and welcome.

Plastic and Pepper Spray

Wonder how many people even know what that is referring to.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Gary - not sure if you're living in or around the Beltway, but leaving that place was one of the best things I've ever done. There is life outside of it! Cost of living, commute time, and murder rates are lower just about everywhere else. Only thing I miss is my favorite sushi place on Connecticut Ave.

Edit: Sorry - now I see Leesburg. Commuting from there to just about anywhere other than Herndon/Reston is awful.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
Gary - not sure if you're living in or around the Beltway, but leaving that place was one of the best things I've ever done. There is life outside of it! Cost of living, commute time, and murder rates are lower just about everywhere else. Only thing I miss is my favorite sushi place on Connecticut Ave.

Edit: Sorry - now I see Leesburg. Commuting from there to just about anywhere other than Herndon/Reston is awful.

You picked the right place to make your escape. I vacation up there and have my whole life. My mom's family is from Wolfeboro and my cousin currently lives in Moultonborough. When I get fastlane, I'll be joining you, there's no doubt about it.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Paulli

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jun 6, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Then you haven't read (or finished) the book. Shame shame.

Funnily enough, it is the section I dove into last night and was unable to stop reading. Appears to be the start of some of the most epic pages in the book!

Great intro and story OP. Throwing yourself into a sales job is the same route I've taken. There are plenty of sales jobs that will pay you a decent base with a hefty commission on top, although I guess your location may have something to say about that, I'm not sure. Either way, sales roles have certain entrepreneurial aspects and develop skills that are easily transferrable into your side hustles and projects. I'm 'managing my business' in many respects. I'd be getting out of that cubicle quick smart!

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Hungrier than ever, I read, I dig, I learn, I take action, in pursuit of getting out. I have to make this work. In my 32 years, I've been on the sidewalk, I've been in the slow lane. I've lived the Scripted life, even when I didn't know that was what I was doing. I want out. I want to live life on my terms. My family needs better from me and they are my 'why.'

Welcome Welcome Welcome - Reading your story, I am absolutely moved and fully overstand your quest, that inner-drive is what will continue to take you ahead and I know right now you're feeling broken, but with that FTE - you've got that Fighting, Winning and Unscripted Spirit deep within. Your journey isn't done, your drive will be taking you far and beyond.

"Plastic and Pepper Spray"

Wonder how many people even know what that is referring to.

Oh Of Course - Plastic and Pepper Spray - Always being Ready for the particular Challenge at hand (especially where assessing and adjusting is concerned) ; it's not always about having power tools, but having effective tools dependent on the outcome we require, absolutely loved this philosophy highlighted in the book.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
Thank you all for taking the time to read my story, and thank you for welcoming me.

A year is an insignificant span when pursuing a different life, but I spent that stretch seeking others with a like mindset through masterminds, networking groups, and cold calling business owners. A friend and mentor told me, "they're out there, but you're going to have to go through a lot of people to find them." I'm glad my persistence paid off. This is what I wanted

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...