• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

WEB/DIGITAL Paying yourself

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by bashir26, Aug 15, 2007.

1. bashir26

bashir26 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $39
    How do you decide how to pay yourself whenever your running your business?

2. AJGlobal

AJGlobal Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $114
    It depends on how your set up. When I was a DBA essentialy I paid myself everything. Once I incorporated I starting paying myself a salary and then takeing the rest as a draw when needed. This allows you to control how much you want to pay in SS tax and Medicare. Your fed and state will allows be based on your net income overall.

3 people like this.
  3. bashir26

bashir26 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $39
    hey AJ this is CndLambo from LP. I have two up and coming business ventures. I'm learning alot from each business venture I take. The first one was when i was 17, the business was pretty good actually, the problem was i was treating my business my like it was my own which was my downfall. So for example for someone thats just starting right up again, do I pay myself a little or nothing at all until it gets bigger and bigger?

4. Yankees338

Yankees338 Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $193
    Just my personal advice (not speaking from experience because I don't have any), but I've come close to starting a business and I'm in the process of trying to start another (both are eCommerce businesses). In both instances, I decided it would be best to roll all of my profits straight back into the business -- specifically, marketing. This is, of course, because I don't currently have any living expenses as I'm still in high school and living at home. In your case, I would just take out the bare minimum you need to get by, or just enough to make it seem worth your time.

Before you begin, I recommend coming up with a target number for when you can begin to really reward yourself for the hard work. Once you reach this point, you can start to spend on yourself, but still monitor what you're doing. You wouldn't wanna piss all of your hard work away now, would you?

Again, just my $.02.

5. WheelsRCool

WheelsRCool Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $61
    Yankees, you sound very well-spoken and mature for a 16 year-old; props:thumbsup:

1 person likes this.
  6. AJGlobal

Rep Bank:
    $114
    Again, how is this business set up ?? Is it a sole proprietorship, is it an LLC, is it a S-sorp. Can't really answer your question until I know how your set up.

1 person likes this.
  7. Yankees338

Yankees338 Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $193
    Thanks! :D That's what sitting in front of the computer for 5 hours a day does to ya! I only really take breaks for baseball games and special activities that really peak my interest...okay, okay. I'm not that big of a loser. I just enjoy this stuff.

8. bashir26

bashir26 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $39
    Its a sole proprietorship. I actually have no expenses in my life right now other than my phone bill.

9. AJGlobal

Rep Bank:
    $114
    As a sole prop. your basically paying your self everything and will also pay taxes on everything you make after expenses including SS tax and Medicare. If your starting to make a decent amount of money I would suggest incoporating.

1 person likes this.
  10. bashir26

bashir26 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $39
    Thanks guys for all the different responses. Greatly appreciated.

2 people like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.