The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking For Perspectives On Using Debt As Income vs Paying Yourself An Income

Anything related to investing, including crypto

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas
I've been hearing a lot lately about how the rich don't pay themselves an income, but instead borrow against their assets and use that debt to finance their lifestyles. So long as their assets continue appreciating in value, they can continue borrowing against them and avoiding a huge tax burden.

It makes sense to me for tax mitigation purposes, but getting into debt and hoping that your assets continue growing in value seems like a gamble to me.

Is this "debt as income" narrative a financially sound strategy?

What would @MJ DeMarco do? (WWMJD)

I understand how letting money sit in a bank is a guaranteed loss due to inflation, but going to the other extreme (debt) seems sort of risky to me.

Is there a better way? Or is using debt "the" way?

From what I can tell by reading all of MJ's books, it seems like he advocates having little to no debt and having an FU sum of money invested and earning you a healthy income. I don't recall ever reading anything about using debt in the way I've described above.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I don't know "WWMJD" but in regard to inflation and debt. It is generally thought to be good to have debt when inflation is high.

Example: 10% inflation rate + 5% intrest rates would equal -5% real rate which mean 5% of the debt gets devalued each year.

In regards to if you should take on debt just to have income. Seems risky, but I'd be intrested to see what people say.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Got millions or billions locked in illiquid assets?

Since actual inflation (money printing leading to increase in money supply, not CPI) has averaged more than 7% annually for the last 20 or 30 years, any loan with fixed interest rate below 7% makes sense. Depending on what your assets are, your place in the economy is dictated, putting you close or far away from the money printer. If far away, you cannot access beneficial loans, and the value of your cash and assets are eroded through different types of taxation, including inflation. This forces you to work or take on risk, just to keep what you already own.

Debt is debt, not income. However, if you borrow newly printed money you essentially receive a state grant, not debt. The money did not exist prior to the loan, so who did you borrow it from? Officially, you borrowed it from a bank, which borrowed it from the central bank. But who did they borrow it from? They created it through digital money-printing, which is a tax on everyone who holds the currency (inflation).

The central bank cannot create wealth, only transfer it. Because of this, interest rates are bogus, and as arbitrary as inflation rates. This creates an unstable economy with cycles, where interest rates shift constantly. However, it is possible under these conditions to accumulate assets if you control the system, and to a lesser extent if only you understand how it works.

The loan can be spent on more assets, to lobby politicians, and to pay your living expenses. In theory, you will also create more jobs, increase production and consumption of goods, and thus this is justified according to the proponents of this system.

addV

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Sep 27, 2018
You could just use the cashflow that those assets generate as well, not sure I fully get the use case of when you want to do that,

Anyway, that's probably an option only available when you have got a net worth of 8+ figures, are you already there?, or why even worry now? It does not sound like something you need to plan in advance

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas
You could just use the cashflow that those assets generate as well, not sure I fully get the use case of when you want to do that,

Anyway, that's probably an option only available when you have got a net worth of 8+ figures, are you already there?, or why even worry now? It does not sound like something you need to plan in advance
I currently own a business and I'm considering purchasing some equipment that should generate more income. As I did research, I kept coming across this idea of buying assets and borrowing against them, which led me to ask the question that I posted.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I've been hearing a lot lately about how the rich don't pay themselves an income, but instead borrow against their assets and use that debt to finance their lifestyles. So long as their assets continue appreciating in value, they can continue borrowing against them and avoiding a huge tax burden.

It makes sense to me for tax mitigation purposes, but getting into debt and hoping that your assets continue growing in value seems like a gamble to me.

Is this "debt as income" narrative a financially sound strategy?

What would @MJ DeMarco do? (WWMJD)

I understand how letting money sit in a bank is a guaranteed loss due to inflation, but going to the other extreme (debt) seems sort of risky to me.

Is there a better way? Or is using debt "the" way?

From what I can tell by reading all of MJ's books, it seems like he advocates having little to no debt and having an FU sum of money invested and earning you a healthy income. I don't recall ever reading anything about using debt in the way I've described above.

Thoughts?
With the exception of real estate developers who do actively use debt, the idea of rich using debt to finance their business is largely a myth.

For people who do not bootstrap their business it is largely done through equity financing. Asking people to invest in their business. A lot less risk.

If you need to refinance your home to start a business you probably are taking too much financial risk.

There are super rich CEO who use borrowing against their own holding of company shares to finance their lifestyle. Its due to an unique circumstances that their compensation in cash is not high, and liquidating too much stocks within a short period of time will lead to investors to question their own stake in the game. There are also tax considerations.

If you own a mid size company with a decade long track record of good cashflow you could borrow from a bank under the company’s name to improve your company’s cashflow but I would say this does not apply to most small players in the game whose only mean of borrowing is to increase their personal liability.

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas
If you own a mid size company with a decade long track record of good cashflow you could borrow from a bank under the company’s name to improve your company’s cashflow but I would say this does not apply to most small players in the game whose only mean of borrowing is to increase their personal liability.
Good insight, thank you. I've owned my service-based business for a decade now, and my tax bill last year was horrific, but also a good sign that I'm profitable. I would rather not do that again, though. So that's why I'm looking to purchase some income-generating assets instead.

In hindsight, it was a good move to pay taxes all of these years instead of writing off every possible "expense" that I could find in order to avoid taxes. Because now, the bank is more than willing to throw money at me because my tax returns show profit.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Good insight, thank you. I've owned my service-based business for a decade now, and my tax bill last year was horrific, but also a good sign that I'm profitable. I would rather not do that again, though. So that's why I'm looking to purchase some income-generating assets instead.

In hindsight, it was a good move to pay taxes all of these years instead of writing off every possible "expense" that I could find in order to avoid taxes. Because now, the bank is more than willing to throw money at me because my tax returns show profit.
I feel like this is more like, you own a property you paid $100k for and now it's worth $1M. If you sell it, you pay taxes on $900k. So instead you borrow $500k against it and now you have $500k in the bank account. So it's like you got $500k "income". Of course you are paying interest on the $500k as you spend it.

Let's say you borrowed the $500k at 5%. So you are paying $25k a year to use it. In 5 years, you've paid $125k in interest and spent the $375k of "income".

You did not pay any taxes on this $375k of "income", but you did pay $125k in interest. But this is still way better than selling your asset for $1M, and paying $180k in taxes (20% cap gains) and collecting $620k. Because in 5 years your asset could be worth $1.2M now and it's probably still generating cashflow.

So if you just look at the 2 scenarios 5 years later:
1) Sell for $1M, pocket $680k, pay $180k taxes, spend $375k. You have $305k left in the bank.
2) Borrow $500k, pay $125k interest, spend $375k. You have $500k equity in your asset, and it might have increased in value, and it might have produced cashflow.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.