The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paying yourself

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
How do you decide how to pay yourself whenever your running your business?

It depends on how your set up. When I was a DBA essentialy I paid myself everything. Once I incorporated I starting paying myself a salary and then takeing the rest as a draw when needed. This allows you to control how much you want to pay in SS tax and Medicare. Your fed and state will allows be based on your net income overall.

bashir26

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Aug 15, 2007
hey AJ this is CndLambo from LP. I have two up and coming business ventures. I'm learning alot from each business venture I take. The first one was when i was 17, the business was pretty good actually, the problem was i was treating my business my like it was my own which was my downfall. So for example for someone thats just starting right up again, do I pay myself a little or nothing at all until it gets bigger and bigger?

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Just my personal advice (not speaking from experience because I don't have any), but I've come close to starting a business and I'm in the process of trying to start another (both are eCommerce businesses). In both instances, I decided it would be best to roll all of my profits straight back into the business -- specifically, marketing. This is, of course, because I don't currently have any living expenses as I'm still in high school and living at home. In your case, I would just take out the bare minimum you need to get by, or just enough to make it seem worth your time.

Before you begin, I recommend coming up with a target number for when you can begin to really reward yourself for the hard work. Once you reach this point, you can start to spend on yourself, but still monitor what you're doing. You wouldn't wanna piss all of your hard work away now, would you?

Again, just my $.02.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
hey AJ this is CndLambo from LP. I have two up and coming business ventures. I'm learning alot from each business venture I take. The first one was when i was 17, the business was pretty good actually, the problem was i was treating my business my like it was my own which was my downfall. So for example for someone thats just starting right up again, do I pay myself a little or nothing at all until it gets bigger and bigger?

Again, how is this business set up ?? Is it a sole proprietorship, is it an LLC, is it a S-sorp. Can't really answer your question until I know how your set up.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Yankees, you sound very well-spoken and mature for a 16 year-old; props:thumbsup:
Thanks! :D That's what sitting in front of the computer for 5 hours a day does to ya! I only really take breaks for baseball games and special activities that really peak my interest...okay, okay. I'm not that big of a loser. I just enjoy this stuff.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bashir26

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Aug 15, 2007
Its a sole proprietorship. I actually have no expenses in my life right now other than my phone bill.

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Its a sole proprietorship. I actually have no expenses in my life right now other than my phone bill.

As a sole prop. your basically paying your self everything and will also pay taxes on everything you make after expenses including SS tax and Medicare. If your starting to make a decent amount of money I would suggest incoporating.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.