The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pancake Presentation

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
For those that will be coming to the meetup in March, I have some questions.

There are a number of topics that I can talk about but time will be limited. I have some contacts here as well that would be willing to come in and talk as well. Russ is in charge of setting the discussion time, topics, speakers, etc. This post is just to get a feel for direction on my part.

As potential guest speakers, I have Mike Salkeld with ParaWest Management. He manages my properties and is a partner of mine in some apartment ventures. He manages a few thousand units and primarily limits them to 100 units or larger in size. He has the same focus that I do in regards to running a property with a focus on marketing and leasing.

I also have access to a contract attorney that won't charge us $400/hour. :smxA: She would be able to go over some contract issues that a buyer or seller may try to put in front of you and talk about contract negotiations.

I can talk forever if Russ is not there to stop me. :smash:

Some ideas:

Spreadsheet development/analysis
Planning your first purchase
Getting into the game
Overcoming your fear

Ideas anyone? What would you like to hear?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Man I am stoked for this! Those sound great Steve. What about staying strong and overcoming obstacles once you're in the game? Criteria that have to be met to go to the next level for your business? Strategies for finding new investment opportunities whether they are RE or not? Just suggestions.... no biggie if they don't have legs.:cheers:

Greg

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
What about staying strong and overcoming obstacles once you're in the game?

This is a biggie!!! The obstacles never quit.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I can also do a couple of apartment tours. The groups will need to be kept fairly small but should be able to arrange two or three tours if there is an interest.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
SteveO, all the topics sound good to me... Mike AND Shannon as speakers would be very valuable. RussH's schedule will be the official one, but I don't see a problem with having the most experienced members talking longer if the topic is well accepted by the others.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I can also do a couple of apartment tours. The groups will need to be kept fairly small but should be able to arrange two or three tours if there is an interest.

I can only say that the tour was one of the biggest motivators in my investment planning. Putting a real image to the goals helped me a lot to focus even more in reaching my goal and make it happen. Who thought looking at a C class apartment complex could inspire people???

By the way, the furniture tour has also some people lined up so you may be short in time for the weekend :D

RE Taipan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 28, 2007
Balboa Island, CA
Just as an FYI:

Recently went to the Embassy Suites in Scottsdale.
Decent rooms and asI recall,around the same prices..$140-150/night.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Steve:

I'd love to hear "What to look for in a property manager".

I know you've shared some of your horror stories with us in the past, and this woud be a good time to share them again.

I'd also love to hear from MJ and his sort of business.

The internet teens last year were eye-opening.
Do we have someone like that coming this year?

I'm not sure what our mix of attendees is this year,
but I wouldn't mind doing something on cap rates versus cashflow versus COCR,
or something like that. Sort of a basic property analysis thing.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
it seems to me that we are clearly RE-oriented this time.
If SteveO's property manager is available then I think we could get lots of information about that....

Legacy Dad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 3, 2007
Worldwide, depending on the month.
I like the idea of touring the apts and possibly Steve or someone else giving some insight as to what to look for in the actual property, spotting areas to add value, running the numbers, cap rates, etc.

Also, does anyone have the capability to record some of the sessions and edit and either sell or upload it as a podcast? Could be a $$$ maker for this site and for those who cannot attend in person?

Lance

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I like the idea of touring the apts and possibly Steve or someone else giving some insight as to what to look for in the actual property, spotting areas to add value, running the numbers, cap rates, etc.

Also, does anyone have the capability to record some of the sessions and edit and either sell or upload it as a poadcast? Could be a $$$ maker for this site and for those who cannot attend in person?

Lance
Great idea!!! I won't be able to attend either of the dates (in Feb or March), but I would LOVE to be able to get at least a piece of the experience.

I was thinking before about possibly putting together a couple of threads loaded with information into an educational piece for MJ to sell through a part of this site. However, then I remember that much of it is on its way...in the form of a book by MJ! Can't wait, btw! :thumbsup:

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I can record a few hours of video at a time, but it's low quality. Maybe someone else has a good camcorder they can use? Otherwise, I'd be fine with doing a high quality audio recording or low quality video....or both.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I would like an apartment tour/review of numbers. Maybe something where SteveO and Andviv can go over why and how certain numbers add up to a good deal, and others add up to a bad one.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I will bring my camcorder, it records to its own hard-drive so we can get the digital file and do what we want with it. Of course, we probably will need some release from the presenter, so we'll see.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.