The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Our Cleaner has been fired!

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
As myself and my Wife both work full time and long hours we have (or had) a house cleaner who visited every Thursday and cleaned for 4 hours. I personally was happy with her work for the money we we're paying £50 a week), but my Wife wasn't overly impressed so has decided to fire her.

Her new idea is that we're going to share the cleaning between us. I'm a man who's never really cleaned anything in his life, i can hoover and do basic things but generally cleaning isn't for me. Don't get me wrong i like things clean but i don't want to be the person doing it.

I've told my Wife that the last thing i want to do of a weekend or weeknight after staring at a computer screen all day is clean. It didn't go down too well.

I do however have a plan. I work from home 4 days a week so surely i could put the house cleaning costs through as a business expense and that way it doesn't come out of our salary, i don't have to do the cleaning and it means i can utilise the time to work on my business. I value 2/4 hours of time at more £12.50 an hour and I've got a plan anyway that within the next 12 months my Wife can leave her job and become a house Wife and she can clean to her hearts content!.

What do you guys and girls think on this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
If you make more than 12.50 an hr then hire someone, if you make less then clean.

If you make more than 12.50 and hr and you clean it is costing you money to do something you don't even really want to do, seems quite silly to me?

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Thats a super interesting idea , it could work

IceCreamAction

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 20, 2016
Trinidad and Tobago
What are you starting a business in the cleaning industry? Why not invest the time to clean in finding a better cleaner ? You both work full time....just my 2cents though hope you guys happy with her decision.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
So your wife fired your cleaning person and then told you to do it?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
So your wife fired your cleaning person and then told you to do it?

She said we can share the chore, so i do the easy stuff like hoovering, cleaning shower, oven, bath etc and she does the rest. I honestly don't think she thought it through. She leaves the house at 8am every day and doesn't get home until 7pm sometimes. We've got 2 children. I work as many hours as i can on my business.

I'm going to check with my accountant if i can put it through as a business expense and i'll make a decision then. If the £50 a week isn't coming out of our account i'm relatively sure she'll be happy even the cleaner isn't up to her standards!

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
50£ for 4 hours per week sounds like a really great deal. So much extra effort to save 25 bucks each per week?

You want to be taking things out of your plate, not adding them. Many people have this sense of pride and effort from doing chores, there's nothing to gain from doing it yourself, unless you're a 15 year old and need to understand how shitty "shitty work" is.

Last edited:

Francisco Roldan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jun 27, 2016
Dont even try to clean! , I pay three days a Week trhree diferent girls for cleaning, ironing cooking etc. this will liberate your energy and your wife´s to do greater things

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016
Seriously, if you can afford to pay for the housework my god do it. Otherwise its a swirling vortex of time sink. Sounds like the decision was pretty unilateral, but I understand if there is little you can do to avoid causing friction. Give it a week or two, and let it sink in how much time and effort keeping house takes. Then propose using a cleaning service that the wife finds acceptable. Even if there is still disagreement, you at least tried to make a go of it.

I have family who cut their cable, and used the extra money to hire a cleaning service. Revenue neutral but real positive expected value in terms of time saved!

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I'm not buying it.

The cleaner must have been hot, that's why she got the axe.

What exactly was wrong with her work?
Not exactly, but when I pick the next one she will be!

Like I said I didn't have any issue with her work. I think my wife expects someone to clean the house as well as she would.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I used to have this cute little college girl clean my condo naked.

I was forced to get rid of her as well.
pnznkqgsrgw4tx0qdpxr.jpg

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
So your strategy, if you end up having to do the cleaning, is to do a very sloppy job.
I like your thinking! Another option i suppose would be to get rid of the wife and bring back the cleaner.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

VDon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jul 27, 2016
and I've got a plan anyway that within the next 12 months my Wife can leave her job and become a house Wife and she can clean to her hearts content!

Never ever let your wife be a full time housewife.

My mother was for 25 years, divorce came and now she lives from a very small pension, always berating me because my father has more money than her and whatnot.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I think you should clean. Its one of the little things in life that feels like a small accomplishment once you've done it. What do you really need to clean? Everything in life is so modernized that its relatively simple. Throw the dishes in the washer, vacuum the floors, wash the floors or rotate window cleaning each month for an hour, etc.

80% of your cleaning can be done in little to no time... under 15 minutes. For everything else, you have your wife. Just take care of the major things, make the house look nice, enjoy in the little accomplishment and move on with your life.

A perfectly clean environment around me allows me to think clearer and set out to do what I need to do. For that, I'd never hire out someone else as the time + effort of finding someone, potential issues, etc. outweighs just doing the work.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I used to have a cleaner. She did a way better job than my wife. When you pay someone, you can set clear expectations, expect those results to happen consistently, and have everyone be happy with it. Telling your wife to do shit does not work this way.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Why not have the cleaner work for less hours and you guys pick up on the rest?

It doesn't hurt having a little bit of help...
If quality is an issue, let cleaner focus on what they excel with - Ignoring what they're not so good with

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I can't speak for tax laws outside the US (and I'm not a tax professional inside the US either), but based on US tax law, this would be considered part of home office expenses, and you could deduct a percentage of the cost proportionate to the percentage of your home dedicated to an office. For example, if you use 10% of your use as a dedicated home office, you can deduct 10% of your utility costs, cleaning costs, etc. Typically, you'll want to keep that home office percentage below 15%, or you risk getting audited (the IRS doesn't typically believe people use more than 15% of their home as a dedicated office, I guess).

Yes that's what I've done and I works very similar here in Uk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I can't speak for tax laws outside the US (and I'm not a tax professional inside the US either), but based on US tax law, this would be considered part of home office expenses, and you could deduct a percentage of the cost proportionate to the percentage of your home dedicated to an office. For example, if you use 10% of your use as a dedicated home office, you can deduct 10% of your utility costs, cleaning costs, etc. Typically, you'll want to keep that home office percentage below 15%, or you risk getting audited (the IRS doesn't typically believe people use more than 15% of their home as a dedicated office, I guess).

And don't cheat it either. In an audit, the IRS will literally measure the amount of space you use versus total square footage to see if you were cheating.

Source: I'm married to an accountant that specializes in small-business accounting. She's seen more than a few audits. (don't mess with the taxman, my gosh the horror stories she tells me about audits)

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Tax audits aren't that bad.... you just go to jail for a few years.

Now workforce commission audits... that's when you're praying to go to jail just to make it stop. :D

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Anything under $125 for 4 hours of cleaning is a good deal and anything under $80 is a GREAT deal.... such a great deal that you don't get a very good job, as your wife figured out. Even though I'm a guy, I owned a house cleaning company for over 19 years.... back in the 90's when we started we charged $20 an hour and sometimes less but now the going rate is between $25-$90+ an hour. So the moral of my story is this.... if you want to pay cheap price, you get cheap cleaning. But why is that all bad? Have her come in... clean... if she misses a spot then clean that spot.

Speaking of the hot cleaning girl. My girls cleaned the floors on hands & knees. And I'd go around checking on their work, talking to them a little to let them know they were appreciated. So one day my girlfriend at the time (she worked for me and lived with me) said, "The girls and I took a vote and we would like for our next shirts to be tank tops". With a straight face I said, "Ok, I'll tell Jason (my shirt guy at the time) to get those made next week". Now deep down inside I was telling myself, "HELL YEAH!!! Why didn't I think of that??? Now I get a great view when they are down washing the floors". That was the best money I've ever spent in business was on those shirts. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.