The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Opinion: The intelligent investor by Benjamin Graham

For any book discussion

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 29, 2019
I recommend reading all books that sound interesting to you. Even if there is only 1 paragraph that helps you, apply it to your life, and that will improve your experience.

Please note that most people who trade lose money, and unless you already have a large amount of money, compound interest and "guaranteed" interest options won't do much for you.

Also keep in mind that an author can be wrong, and indeed often are.

Also, welcome to the forum.

Onassis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 30, 2019
Hello,

Has anyone read "The intelligent investor" by Benjamin Graham?
Would you recommend the book?

I have read it and I can say it’s a must read if you are into investing.

Investor Warren Buffet has talked a lot about the book and Graham. I would highly recommend it.

It is not a book about trading though. It’s about long term investing. Hope this helps!

Boo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 6, 2018
Given that you're asking this question, I'm guessing that you have a limited understanding of investing.

The Intelligent Investor is a must-read, but IMO primarily just because it's a unique piece of history in the investing world. It has limited practical implications these days and is quite outdated. I'll catch flak for saying that, but it's the truth.

You'd be better of reading books like Margin of Safety by Klarman, everything by Peter Lynch, some of the stuff from Fisher, Deep Value by Tobias Carlisle.

Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond is a good start and a super smooth and easy read. Greenblatt is also just a great start all round, though not the most technical books.

It's not that Intelligent Investor isn't worth reading, it's just that it's more likely to turn you off investing than anything else. I love investing and I found it a brutal slog with limited use today. Security Analysis is even worse

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hello,

Yes, it is a good place to start and will give you an understanding of value investing and keeping things simple.

If you read nothing but this book, and understood its contents, you would be a more educated investor than 90 percent of the people playing around with an etrade account.

Last edited:

Jasper S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jul 14, 2020
Chicagoland Area
I read it in college and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would recommend it as I would say it got my mindset right when it comes to investing.

To me the most important take from it would be mindset first and foremost followed by having a margin of safety.

The version I read had updated chapter reviews after each chapter by Jason Zweig. Helped bring home the points Graham writes about and applies it to more recent times.

newzzy2

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 24, 2019

Well, I didn't read it by myself, but I've heard a lot of positive comments about it. Talking about financial world, investments and investors themselves, I can highly recommend you to visit Trading Skeptic web resource, and it's articles like David Gardner webpage, where they collect brief information about investor and explain what exact tools and options did he use for his financial goals.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.