The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Only $19.95!" Ads

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
You know the ones on TV where they have a product for 'only $19.95' and usually have a "free" gift 'if you order now' (that organizer with a free lil' reminder comes to mind). Anyone have experience in getting an idea from concept, through working product, and on to these commercials? I have several ideas for similar $19.99 products (yes, and some free gifts as well) which I think could generate some cash flow, but not sure where to begin exactly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I beleive we have a short thread on infomercials. try searching for it it has some down to earth info on producing them. Sounds like a job for "BILLY MAYS HERE"

Poudda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 7, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I had a prof in one of my business courses who was actually a retired businessman. One of his money making ideas used infomercials. I don't know what kind of margin they had on the actual product (bought and resold it from a manufacturer via arms length transaction). But he did point out that he actually made more money from the shipping charges. Shipping cost them pennies for this product (like $1.00) since it could be shipped in a 8 X 11 bubble envelope. They charged like $8.95 for shipping AND handling (this was about 20 years ago).

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
You're speaking of infomercials. From my basic research into them, they are one of those high risk, high reward type things. Also not cheap. I was quoted $25K for a simple 30 second ad. That does not include any media testing. That's going to cost another $10K+ at the very minimum I'm guessing.

But all this could cost $100K easy and skyrocket from there. Those "Billy Mays" ads I'm guessing are $500K+ productions

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andrew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 8, 2007
Also take into account that these involve either recurring subscription billing (Video Professor, Girls Gone Wild) or the company heavily direct markets the customers, upselling more expensive products. $19.95 may very well be running at a loss with the profits coming from the back end.

Thats not to discourage you, just understand what the entire business model is before you mirror the concept.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
I beleive we have a short thread on infomercials. try searching for it it has some down to earth info on producing them. Sounds like a job for "BILLY MAYS HERE"

I like Billy Mays! That guy could get eskimos to buy ice.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHAG1TLoyks"]YouTube - Billy Mays OxiClean[/ame]

It would be great to hire him to do some some skit for a viral video.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
"Mays said Orange Glo is selling $250 million in products this year and expects to sell $500 million in products next year."

That's what I like to hear!!! Speed!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have a few friends involved in tv/informercial marketing.

There is a ton of money in infomercials and its actually a fastlane venue that I am considering for my next business venture. I also think Peter2 was engaged in infomercials.

The key is your product and your marketing. Billy Mays is big time and is worth gazillions. Her female version is Joy Magnano who is heavy into infomercials and HSN. I think Joy lives in the Hamptons in some 50 million square foot beach front estate.

Of course, informercialing isn't easy -- you can't just throw a guy with a british accent and an average product on tv -- you need a product with SIZZLE. Billy Mays conveys SIZZLE!!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007