The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One, Five, and Ten year goals. Need Analysis

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
I'm reading the slides from Ryan Allis and decided to follow his advice on writing down my goals, printing, and framing them.

I do not want to sell myself short and also I do not want to set a goal that is unreachable.

I just want some outside perspective to make sure I get the best out of this.

List will be updated once a year.

Post your list or let me know what on my list you think is selling myself short, or unreachable/ improbable and why.

Here is my first draft:

David’s Life goals
1 Year
  1. Build DavetheVegan.com to $1,000 profit every month

2. Freelance Copywriting $2,000 profit each month

3. Escape the 9-5, work from anywhere

4. Fix my shoulder by myself and do an Olympic Triathlon

5. Get and Maintain a six pack for 6 months

6. Meditate 300 times (6X/week)

7. Pay off debt

8. Be caffeine free for 1 year

5 Years

1. Get married

2. Buy and Audi R8 with cash

3. Travel to Japan

4. Build a business worth 1 Million Dollars

5. Build relationships with awesome people and establish a brotherhood of friends

6. Fight in an MMA fight

10 Years

1. Earn a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

2. Sell a business for $25 million and retire

3. Travel to Australia, New Zealand, and Toronto

4. Become a pilot

5. Buy a house

6. Be an extraordinary father and husband

7. Started donating $300,000 per year to charity

8. Buy mom a house/ pay off her debt

Lifetime

1. Be an extraordinary husband and father

2. Make a positive difference in the world

3. Live out all your dreams while maintaining health, happiness, and relationships

4. Never stop learning, growing, and creating

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
  • Meditate 300 times (6X/week)

This is unreachable. Guaranteed. Nonetheless, it's something to aim for. I hope you prove us wrong ;)

Other than that I am happy that you have outlined and penned your goals on paper :) They look inspiring, so don't disappoint yourself, future family, and lastly us, of course :)

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
I like it.

Do you have experience running businesses yet? I have been doing this for an year and I will give you things I learned. Depending on that revise or try to get more clarity in your goals if possible.

1) Meditation helps me a lot. Its not just me, but it helps Ray Dalio (He meditates for 40 minutes for 44 years), it helps Tony Robbins and it helps almost everyone who is killing it. I have been meditating by reading things here and there for almost 6 months. I finally reached the perfect recipe for my meditation after watching this video -

The video is by Vishen Lakhiani who is the founder of a mastermind group named Mind Valley. The 6 phase meditation includes the following phases -
  • Gratitude
  • Compassion
  • Forgiveness
  • Future Pacing
  • Planning the Perfect Day (Visualization)
  • Supreme Power (Feeling Strong as F*ck, almost godly)
The gratitude part makes me happy even in the toughest times in business (I did not have money to pay my rent or eat lunch at some point this year. And tough times with family and relationships)

The compassion part makes me feel like doing business in a way that I am giving, not trying to get from others.

Forgiveness makes me calm and composed without ego getting in the way. I was never this way by the way, I used to get furious for the smallest things.

Future pacing makes sure that I am aligning my dream and my action.

Visualizing helps me to take every little juice out of the day. Work 15 hours if required. No one is going to outwork me, period.

Supreme Power - I believe in god and I think if he is able to create the world we live in, I can easily build my little dream of being a millionaire and making a difference in the world.

2) Think big, As big as you can. AND work accordingly.

Gary Vaynerchuk calls it Cloud and Dirt.

You have to push the cloud (Your dreams) and think big.
You have to push the dirt (The hustle) and make every second count.

Everyday when I wake up in the morning I think about my biggest goals. That keeps my action in congruence.

Back in the days when I never thought big I worked 200 hours to make 200 dollars. I think a forum member here said to me "If I think poverty, I will get poverty lol). And that is true. True, I hustled. But only to pay my rent. You can be as skilled as you want but unless you think big and align your dream and actions you wont have success.

3) Once you think big, put them in numbers.

I want to make billions.

But I cannot make billions selling affiliate links. Or selling coupons.

Thats what happens if you dont put your big thoughts into numbers.

For example, if you want to start a business and your goal is to make 10 million in 5 years, think how you will monitize it. If you talk to people in your city who are successful running businesses they will help you with making a business plan and execution plan. They might even be kind enough to help you with predicting cash flow, profit and loss statements. And actually come up with a number if your biz become successful.

This needs experience, you cannot do it yourself. I thought that I can do it myself, but I was wrong. People who are experienced will give you 1000 micro problems that you will have to solve on the way. This will give you a birds eye view of the whole execution. And you can start putting things into micro goals and start executing. I suggest you go to an entrepreneurship event to discuss your ideas and get their knowledge. Many people are happy to give guidance if you show positive vibe. Thankfully I stay in the entrepreneurship capital of India, so I have no dearth of awesome people around me.

The idea is not to go from A to Z really fast but to go from A to B and B to C and so on really fast until you reach Z.

4) Freedom from Outcome

You want to make millions, but you dont care if you only make nothing as well.
Charlie Munger calls this "Swim as competently as possible even if the tide is against you or with you.".

This will make you really happy even on the worst days. Also note that wealth will come in an exponential growth, so it makes no sense to sweat on day to day results.

Also remember that people tend to overestimate what they can do in a day, a month or an year but underestimates what they can do in 3 to 5 years.

5) Once you find the right business idea, execute until it works
This was the hardest for me to solve. I used to jump from ideas to ideas panning for gold.

But the reality is that you have to believe in your idea (Which you can if you follow step 3 above) and plan to stick with it FOREVER.

Until it works.

Sometimes its sad and makes me feel emotionally f*cked up lol. But nothing works if you dabble.

6) Always solve problems (ASP)
When I wake up in the morning and I feel demotivated i take it as a problem I need to solve. And i solve it immediately.
When I want to stop working and watch **** videos (LOL) I solve that problem as well.
When I find myself dabbling I solve that problem.

I am still trying to solve my relationship problems especially because I tend to overwork and my social life is zero.

If you cannot solve little problems you cannot solve big problems in the market.
And since you are thinking big, you are going to soon have to solve BIG problems, so get prepared for it.

Always solve problems :)

I can write a few more but i think this should help.

Adam

PS: I wrote this mostly to remind myself, hope it helps readers as well :)

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
This is unreachable. Guaranteed. Nonetheless, it's something to aim for. I hope you prove us wrong ;)

Other than that I am happy that you have outlined and penned your goals on paper :) They look inspiring, so don't disappoint yourself, future family, and lastly us, of course :)
I think the meditation goal is pretty vague. I could just do 5 minutes a day hehe

But that's for your kind words sir!

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
I like it.

Do you have experience running businesses yet? I have been doing this for an year and I will give you things I learned. Depending on that revise or try to get more clarity in your goals if possible.

1) Meditation helps me a lot. Its not just me, but it helps Ray Dalio (He meditates for 40 minutes for 44 years), it helps Tony Robbins and it helps almost everyone who is killing it. I have been meditating by reading things here and there for almost 6 months. I finally reached the perfect recipe for my meditation after watching this video -

The video is by Vishen Lakhiani who is the founder of a mastermind group named Mind Valley. The 6 phase meditation includes the following phases -
  • Gratitude
  • Compassion
  • Forgiveness
  • Future Pacing
  • Planning the Perfect Day (Visualization)
  • Supreme Power (Feeling Strong as F*ck, almost godly)
The gratitude part makes me happy even in the toughest times in business (I did not have money to pay my rent or eat lunch at some point this year. And tough times with family and relationships)

The compassion part makes me feel like doing business in a way that I am giving, not trying to get from others.

Forgiveness makes me calm and composed without ego getting in the way. I was never this way by the way, I used to get furious for the smallest things.

Future pacing makes sure that I am aligning my dream and my action.

Visualizing helps me to take every little juice out of the day. Work 15 hours if required. No one is going to outwork me, period.

Supreme Power - I believe in god and I think if he is able to create the world we live in, I can easily build my little dream of being a millionaire and making a difference in the world.

2) Think big, As big as you can. AND work accordingly.

Gary Vaynerchuk calls it Cloud and Dirt.

You have to push the cloud (Your dreams) and think big.
You have to push the dirt (The hustle) and make every second count.

Everyday when I wake up in the morning I think about my biggest goals. That keeps my action in congruence.

Back in the days when I never thought big I worked 200 hours to make 200 dollars. I think a forum member here said to me "If I think poverty, I will get poverty lol). And that is true. True, I hustled. But only to pay my rent. You can be as skilled as you want but unless you think big and align your dream and actions you wont have success.

3) Once you think big, put them in numbers.

I want to make billions.

But I cannot make billions selling affiliate links. Or selling coupons.

Thats what happens if you dont put your big thoughts into numbers.

For example, if you want to start a business and your goal is to make 10 million in 5 years, think how you will monitize it. If you talk to people in your city who are successful running businesses they will help you with making a business plan and execution plan. They might even be kind enough to help you with predicting cash flow, profit and loss statements. And actually come up with a number if your biz become successful.

This needs experience, you cannot do it yourself. I thought that I can do it myself, but I was wrong. People who are experienced will give you 1000 micro problems that you will have to solve on the way. This will give you a birds eye view of the whole execution. And you can start putting things into micro goals and start executing. I suggest you go to an entrepreneurship event to discuss your ideas and get their knowledge. Many people are happy to give guidance if you show positive vibe. Thankfully I stay in the entrepreneurship capital of India, so I have no dearth of awesome people around me.

The idea is not to go from A to Z really fast but to go from A to B and B to C and so on really fast until you reach Z.

4) Freedom from Outcome

You want to make millions, but you dont care if you only make nothing as well.
Charlie Munger calls this "Swim as competently as possible even if the tide is against you or with you.".

This will make you really happy even on the worst days. Also note that wealth will come in an exponential growth, so it makes no sense to sweat on day to day results.

Also remember that people tend to overestimate what they can do in a day, a month or an year but underestimates what they can do in 3 to 5 years.

5) Once you find the right business idea, execute until it works
This was the hardest for me to solve. I used to jump from ideas to ideas panning for gold.

But the reality is that you have to believe in your idea (Which you can if you follow step 3 above) and plan to stick with it FOREVER.

Until it works.

Sometimes its sad and makes me feel emotionally f*cked up lol. But nothing works if you dabble.

6) Always solve problems (ASP)
When I wake up in the morning and I feel demotivated i take it as a problem I need to solve. And i solve it immediately.
When I want to stop working and watch **** videos (LOL) I solve that problem as well.
When I find myself dabbling I solve that problem.

I am still trying to solve my relationship problems especially because I tend to overwork and my social life is zero.

If you cannot solve little problems you cannot solve big problems in the market.
And since you are thinking big, you are going to soon have to solve BIG problems, so get prepared for it.

Always solve problems :)

I can write a few more but i think this should help.

Adam

PS: I wrote this mostly to remind myself, hope it helps readers as well :)
Thank you for taking the time to write that out for me. Lots of helpful reminders. I started that video but I do not have the time to finish it right now. Maybe this weekend I'll have time haha

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
How much time do you have dedicated to bjj training a week?

SammyT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Aug 3, 2014
Jackson, Wyoming
Hey @arfadugus what's up with your shoulder and what are you doing to correct it?

I ask because I've had 2 surgeries and around 10 dislocations. It's been a constant battle to get it and keep it healthy. I've come a long way but I'm still not where I want to be so I'm curious to know what's wrong with your shoulder and what has and hasn't worked for you.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
How much time do you have dedicated to bjj training a week?
Right now I'm not doing any because of my shoulder. But after I escape the 9-5 and fix my shoulder I'm looking to do at least 5 hours a day of training.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Hey @arfadugus what's up with your shoulder and what are you doing to correct it?

I ask because I've had 2 surgeries and around 10 dislocations. It's been a constant battle to get it and keep it healthy. I've come a long way but I'm still not where I want to be so I'm curious to know what's wrong with your shoulder and what has and hasn't worked for you.

Trying to avoid surgery. Been in a car accident and wear and tare from Jiu Jitsu and Powerlifting.

I'm doing stuff from mobilitywod.com and Becoming a supple leopard. It's a lot of rolling around on a lacrosse ball and breaking up stiff tissues. It helps a ton when I'm consistent every day.

I also think it's important to stop doing whatever it is that is messing you up in order for your body to heal. Weather it's from posture or activity or both. Sitting for just an hour can wreck your joints and keep them from healing.

Also good diet is important. (Whole foods plant based team here) Also eliminating perpetuating factors by avoiding things that mess with your metabolism like, Tobacco, alcohol, caffeine.

SammyT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Aug 3, 2014
Jackson, Wyoming
Trying to avoid surgery. Been in a car accident and wear and tare from Jiu Jitsu and Powerlifting.

I'm doing stuff from mobilitywod.com and Becoming a supple leopard. It's a lot of rolling around on a lacrosse ball and breaking up stiff tissues. It helps a ton when I'm consistent every day.

I also think it's important to stop doing whatever it is that is messing you up in order for your body to heal. Weather it's from posture or activity or both. Sitting for just an hour can wreck your joints and keep them from healing.

Also good diet is important. (Whole foods plant based team here) Also eliminating perpetuating factors by avoiding things that mess with your metabolism like, Tobacco, alcohol, caffeine.

Yeah I would recommend avoiding surgery if possible. After dislocated my shoulder playing football in high school it eventually got so bad that I dislocated it in my sleep. That was the last straw, I got surgery after that. It's kept my shoulder from dislocating but it hasn't been the same since then.

I've focused a lot on strengthening exercises but I think I should start focusing more on mobility. My internal rotation is ridiculously tight.

Thanks for the response and good luck with your goals.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Most people overestimate what they can do in day, and underestimate what they can do in a year.

I would suggest editing your goals into 90 day periods, or even 30 day periods instead of 1, 5, and 10 years.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
This is how it's done.

David’s Life goals
7 days (29.09.2016):
  1. Identify what is required to escape 9-5.
  2. Find at least one thing I like better than caffeine.
  3. Identify what is required for davethevegan.com to make $1,000/month.
  4. Identify what is required for my copywriting endeavors to make $2,000/month.
  5. Meditate N times and write down insights after each meditation.
  6. Write a comprehensive to-do list with checkboxes. Write down goals, perks attached to them and all related meta.

One Month (Until 22.10.2016):

Monday:

1. Start doing A at 7:00 am, to 7:15 am.
  2. Start doing B at 7:20 am, to 7:40 am.
  3. Start doing C at 7:45 am, to 8:00 am.
  4. Start doing D at 8:05 am, to 9:00 am.
  5. Start doing E at 9:15 am, to 10:15 am,
  6. So on
This way you'll be 100% sure you're busy doing what is required, focused towards a particular goal and doesn't leave much room for procrastination.
Productivity is increased by a factor of thousand.

One Month Goals (22.10.2016):
  1. Have X, Y, Z checkboxes checked.
  2. Write down insights from each.
  3. Write down all positive things and changes happened this month.
  4. Have X goals written for the next month.

Regarding your long-term goals, they don't make any sense.
Lifetime goals, in particular, aren't concrete (they have to be).
But I doubt you can come up with anything better at this moment, give yourself time.

Also, read this thread of mine: The Power of Dedication.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Yeah I would recommend avoiding surgery if possible. After dislocated my shoulder playing football in high school it eventually got so bad that I dislocated it in my sleep. That was the last straw, I got surgery after that. It's kept my shoulder from dislocating but it hasn't been the same since then.

I've focused a lot on strengthening exercises but I think I should start focusing more on mobility. My internal rotation is ridiculously tight.

Thanks for the response and good luck with your goals.
Kick some a$$ brother!

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Most people overestimate what they can do in day, and underestimate what they can do in a year.

I would suggest editing your goals into 90 day periods, or even 30 day periods instead of 1, 5, and 10 years.
This is a yearly goal thing that will be updated every year. I'm doing monthly goals too and it's helping a lot!

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
This is how it's done.

David’s Life goals
7 days (29.09.2016):
  1. Identify what is required to escape 9-5.
  2. Find at least one thing I like better than caffeine.
  3. Identify what is required for davethevegan.com to make $1,000/month.
  4. Identify what is required for my copywriting endeavors to make $2,000/month.
  5. Meditate N times and write down insights after each meditation.
  6. Write a comprehensive to-do list with checkboxes. Write down goals, perks attached to them and all related meta.

One Month (Until 22.10.2016):

Monday:

1. Start doing A at 7:00 am, to 7:15 am.
  2. Start doing B at 7:20 am, to 7:40 am.
  3. Start doing C at 7:45 am, to 8:00 am.
  4. Start doing D at 8:05 am, to 9:00 am.
  5. Start doing E at 9:15 am, to 10:15 am,
  6. So on
This way you'll be 100% sure you're busy doing what is required, focused towards a particular goal and doesn't leave much room for procrastination.
Productivity is increased by a factor of thousand.

One Month Goals (22.10.2016):
  1. Have X, Y, Z checkboxes checked.
  2. Write down insights from each.
  3. Write down all positive things and changes happened this month.
  4. Have X goals written for the next month.

Regarding your long-term goals, they don't make any sense.
Lifetime goals, in particular, aren't concrete (they have to be).
But I doubt you can come up with anything better at this moment, give yourself time.

Also, read this thread of mine: The Power of Dedication.
Thanks for the reply! I'll check that thread out after I eat XD

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
David’s Life goals 1 Year
  • Build DavetheVegan.com to $1,000 profit every month
  • Freelance Copywriting $2,000 profit each month
  • Escape the 9-5, work from anywhere
  • Pay off debt
The above are the same goal
  • Fix my shoulder by myself and do an Olympic Triathlon
Why fix yourself? Do you know how?
  • Get and Maintain a six pack for 6 months
  • Meditate 300 times (6X/week)
  • Be caffeine free for 1 year
The above should be easy in the sense that there is no financial burden. This is all how bad you want it.

As for the rest of the goals below, just get rid of them. Everything you wrote below depends on year 1. Reach those goals first, then redo year 2 goals.

• Get married
  • Buy and Audi R8 with cash
  • Travel to Japan
  • Build a business worth 1 Million Dollars
  • Build relationships with awesome people and establish a brotherhood of friends
  • Fight in an MMA fight
  • Earn a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
  • Sell a business for $25 million and retire
  • Travel to Australia, New Zealand, and Toronto
  • Become a pilot
  • Buy a house
  • Be an extraordinary father and husband
  • Started donating $300,000 per year to charity
  • Buy mom a house/ pay off her debt

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
As for the rest of the goals below, just get rid of them. Everything you wrote below depends on year 1. Reach those goals first, then redo year 2 goals.

The rest of the goals should not even be called goals. They are just future visions.

OP should spent 99% of his efforts on the year 1 goal and 1% effort to remember the vision, so that he knows that he is in the right direction.

But OP's vision is all over the place lol, he should make it A LOT more focused.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
Recently while watching VALUETAINMENT (IMO hands down the best YT channel for entrepreneurs - I highly recommend you watch their last video), they recommended a pretty solid method that I think would help you.

As someone above said, focus more on shorter time periods like 30 / 60 / 90 days instead of years. Of course visualize your long-term goals to keep you motivated, nothing wrong in that.

The tip:
From a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being a goal that you will 100% achieve with very little to no effort, and 10 being impossible - you should stick to 8.

If your goals are not high enough, you won't progress as fast as you want it to. On the other hand when they're TOO HIGH, you will be disappointed by constant failures and eventually you might give up on them.

I have one more advice - also from VALUETAINMENT - you can lie to your friends, family, basically anyone, but you can NEVER lie to the man in the mirror. Always be honest with yourself, it's something I've struggled with a lot (and maybe I still do).

I wish you best of luck in achieving your goals. Go chase them!

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
The rest of the goals should not even be called goals. They are just future visions.

OP should spent 99% of his efforts on the year 1 goal and 1% effort to remember the vision, so that he knows that he is in the right direction.

But OP's vision is all over the place lol, he should make it A LOT more focused.
This is more just to visualize and have something written. My goals are my goals I suppose.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.