The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

On Page SEO - A Quick Reference guide.

Marketing, social media, advertising

xaviel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jul 23, 2012
Canada
Hey folks. I figured I'd contribute the standard blueprint I use for my SEO clients in terms of On Page SEO.

1. Put the title of the page (containing the keyword) in H1 Tag.
  2. Make sure the Keyword is in the first & last sentence
  3. Keyword in the Meta description.
  4. The page url (What shows up in the URL bar) should end with your keyword. www.mysite.com/cure-acne/
  5. In your article, have a natural Keyword density, roughly 3%-5%
  6. Link to an authority site. Like Wikipedia or whatever is appropriate for your field.
  7. Find a Video related to your keyword and put it on your page. On youtube or otherwise. Make sure it has a lot of views.
  8. Have an Image on the page. Make sure the image file name, title, and Alt Text have your keyword.
  9. Add some interlinking: Link to other articles on your site. "Related Articles: Acne Cream, Dont pop that Zit"
  10. Make the page compelling enough so the user actually reads it, or spends time on it. This diminishes the bounce rate. Which is favorable.

Cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mr Cracker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 24, 2012
Mexico
Hey folks. I figured I'd contribute the standard blueprint I use for my SEO clients in terms of On Page SEO.

1. Put the title of the page (containing the keyword) in H1 Tag.
  2. Make sure the Keyword is in the first & last sentence
  3. Keyword in the Meta description.
  4. The page url (What shows up in the URL bar) should end with your keyword. www.mysite.com/cure-acne/
  5. In your article, have a natural Keyword density, roughly 3%-5%
  6. Link to an authority site. Like Wikipedia or whatever is appropriate for your field.
  7. Find a Video related to your keyword and put it on your page. On youtube or otherwise. Make sure it has a lot of views.
  8. Have an Image on the page. Make sure the image file name, title, and Alt Text have your keyword.
  9. Add some interlinking: Link to other articles on your site. "Related Articles: Acne Cream, Dont pop that Zit"
  10. Make the page compelling enough so the user actually reads it, or spends time on it. This diminishes the bounce rate. Which is favorable.

Cheers

Thanks for the useful tips. :thumbup:
I'm fairly new to SEO and I'm about to launch a site in 2 weeks so this comes handy.

How many keywords should I target?

And most importantly how do I know what keywords I should target?

I'm launching a real estate site focusing on my local area.

Thanks again

Promodo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
May 21, 2013
Ukraine, Russia, United Kingdom
I'm fairly new to SEO and I'm about to launch a site in 2 weeks so this comes handy.

Thanks again

Hi Mr Cracker!

It would be great to have a look at your website or get more details about it in order to answer your questions. I would be glad to give you an advice - our company does professional SEO, PPC and usability analysis so feel free to ask!

Regards, Elena

S

stranger

1. Make sure the Keyword is in the first & last sentence

Also start every new paragraph with the keyword if possible

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Also start every new paragraph with the keyword if possible
In most cases, that would be excessive. Try not to go overboard with keyword stuffing.

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
Another good little tip when doing your onpage stuff, is to think of your SERP listing almost as you would a text ad. You have your page title as the 'headline', and the meta description as your body copy. Use it to stand out and grab a searcher.

I'm not saying you should write it in a 'spammy' way, but you can make your result (specifically the title tag) stand out from others by simple use of ascii characters such as bullets, » arrows etc. Doing things like this will help you achieve a better CTR which should in turn help at least sustain your rankings if not improve them over time (CTR is believed to be a ranking factor) - and will also help you get a few visitors you may not otherwise have gotten even if you're ranking down the page a bit.

You should try to use dynamic page titles and meta descriptions - 400 pages using the exact same static attributes is not going to help you at all. Do some googling, its actually very easy to do this if you're using WP for example, just using php rather than an unwieldy plugin.

Also to the same end, don't forget to take advantage of google authorship and microdata such as ratings etc. Make full use of google webmaster tools to keep an eye on how you're being displayed on a SERP, the CTR etc and work to improve it where you can.

Tiny differences in your SERP CTR, page load time, time on page, bounce rate etc can all add up to make a big difference to your organic traffic when added together - and they are all within your control and easy to do something to improve.

xaviel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jul 23, 2012
Canada
Hi Mr Cracker,

The first step would be to do some Keyword research. You want to uncover keywords that have a decent amount of search traffic.

The first thing you'll need is the Google Keyword Tool. adwords.google.com The second is imagination. Let's say you have a site about Acne. Ranking for "acne cure" will be tough. But the person searching for "should I pop a zit?" or "proactive review 2013" is the same client. And these keyword will be less competitive.

I talk about this here Keyword Research - Azimus Group | Azimus Group and there is many other great resources out there. (Like this one: Omega Guide : Keyword Research That Builds SEO Empires | Source Wave : SEO Blog )

Thanks again

Mr Cracker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 24, 2012
Mexico
Hi Mr Cracker,

The first step would be to do some Keyword research. You want to uncover keywords that have a decent amount of search traffic.

The first thing you'll need is the Google Keyword Tool. adwords.google.com The second is imagination. Let's say you have a site about Acne. Ranking for "acne cure" will be tough. But the person searching for "should I pop a zit?" or "proactive review 2013" is the same client. And these keyword will be less competitive.

I talk about this here Keyword Research - Azimus Group | Azimus Group and there is many other great resources out there. (Like this one: Omega Guide : Keyword Research That Builds SEO Empires | Source Wave : SEO Blog )

Thanks for all the great info. This will help me to pick out the right words to get started. :)

S

stranger

In most cases, that would be excessive. Try not to go overboard with keyword stuffing.

I just said what worked and still works for me. Mention your keyword in every paragraph one time isn't excessively.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
On-page SEO, an infographic...

on_page_seo_infographic_small.png

tamo42

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jan 9, 2013
Beware *perfect* optimization. If you are going for G rankings, you're like the not-quite-pretty girl who is trying too hard.

Molattee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 9, 2013
Indonesia - Jakarta
Just wondering..what exactly is a H-1 tag?

Since I have a website whose traffic is pitiful I would like to ask some questions if you guys wouldn't mind:

1) How many keywords should a website or post contain?

2) Should every post be keyworded?

3) How to know what keyword fits best for Google?

I ask this because I've installed SEO plugins and all sorts of keywords but it seems like my website is incapable of gaining traffic.

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. :)

(PS. I have a Twitter page dedicated to my website but it doesn't much affect on traffic, if any.)

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Just wondering..what exactly is a H-1 tag?

Since I have a website whose traffic is pitiful I would like to ask some questions if you guys wouldn't mind:

1) How many keywords should a website or post contain?

2) Should every post be keyworded?

3) How to know what keyword fits best for Google?

I ask this because I've installed SEO plugins and all sorts of keywords but it seems like my website is incapable of gaining traffic.

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

(PS. I have a Twitter page dedicated to my website but it doesn't much affect on traffic, if any.)

Hard to say without knowing your Niche, but your website likely won't magically rank because your website is optimized. You need to read the Beginners Guide to SEO by Moz (google, I've posetd it on this forum before) if you're unsure what a h1 tag is.

Bottom line, your website is not going to rank without links.

Molattee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 9, 2013
Indonesia - Jakarta
Hard to say without knowing your Niche, but your website likely won't magically rank because your website is optimized. You need to read the Beginners Guide to SEO by Moz (google, I've posetd it on this forum before) if you're unsure what a h1 tag is.

Bottom line, your website is not going to rank without links.

My niche is Love & Relationships.

Do you mean linking to other websites or being linked to by other websites?

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida

xaviel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jul 23, 2012
Canada

xaviel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jul 23, 2012
Canada
Hey Michael,

One of the first things I would do is review which keywords are working for you, and your competition. I use a tool call spyfu.com which has a history of who's been advertising for which keyword, for how long, etc.

So, I would take your top 3 competitors, and see which top 20 keywords all three of them are consistently advertising for.

This should give us a good starting point.

After having selected our 20 keywords, I would write 1 interesting/cool/fun/relevant article per keyword and post it on your site.

Next I would analyse the competition, see where they are getting backlinks from, and purchase from the same sources.

I would also create a Private Blog Network (PBN), just for you. The PBN is where the real gains will come from. I talk more about this here: How To Build A Blog Network - Azimus Group | Azimus Group

I would also try to establish relationships with similar, out of state businesses. That way you get good relevant links from them (and vice versa) and yet you are not in direct competition.

Cheers

How can I increase my SEO for my site... Slickview Studios: Premier Design Consultants

How would I add keywords to the first and last parts of paragraph? Also where do you recommend placing youtube videos?

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
Great post. Thumbs up. We're in the same industry actually.

Hey Michael,

One of the first things I would do is review which keywords are working for you, and your competition. I use a tool call spyfu.com which has a history of who's been advertising for which keyword, for how long, etc.

So, I would take your top 3 competitors, and see which top 20 keywords all three of them are consistently advertising for.

This should give us a good starting point.

After having selected our 20 keywords, I would write 1 interesting/cool/fun/relevant article per keyword and post it on your site.

Next I would analyse the competition, see where they are getting backlinks from, and purchase from the same sources.

I would also create a Private Blog Network (PBN), just for you. The PBN is where the real gains will come from. I talk more about this here: How To Build A Blog Network - Azimus Group | Azimus Group

I would also try to establish relationships with similar, out of state businesses. That way you get good relevant links from them (and vice versa) and yet you are not in direct competition.

Cheers

Molattee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 9, 2013
Indonesia - Jakarta
I don't know if this is the right thread for the question or not but here goes:

So my website has its own brand obviously. What seems to bother me is that the name of the brand as an actual domain name is already taken. (i.e. heyo is the name of the brand and heyo.com is taken)

Should I settle with a domain such as :theheyo.com? Would that be good SEO-wise? (The "heyo.com" example is a dead domain waiting to be bought from its owner; not an active site)

S

stranger

With all the google's changes for last months, it seems like better to do SEO for your best competitions and not for your own website/s. Hire a cheap seo "guru" who will do "his best" - building tons of backlinks to your competition's websites every day. It sounds brutally, but google will ban those "bad websites". I'm sicking of how google try to "improve" things.

Of course, don't take my words as a suggestion.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
With all the google's changes for last months, it seems like better to do SEO for your best competitions and not for your own website/s. Hire a cheap seo "guru" who will do "his best" - building tons of backlinks to your competition's websites every day. It sounds brutally, but google will ban those "bad websites". I'm sicking of how google try to "improve" things.

Of course, don't take my words as a suggestion.
Negative SEO is a very shitty approach. If the webmaster is not "in the loop" and using WMT, they could easily get penalized. If they do use WMT, it will be obvious that a slam campaign is being used and the links can be disavowed.

Focus on making your sites better, not taking down others who are doing it better than you are. Jesus.

pebertad

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 27, 2013
Thanks for sharing the tips. What about the length of the post? Nowadays you need to write at least 1000 word posts if you want to rank well for competitive keywords. Could you make a list of things that could hurt the website as well?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.