AmazingLarry
Regular Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
- Joined
- Jul 4, 2019
- Messages
- 445
Rep Bank
$1,950
$1,950
User Power: 199%
Great thread. I love to travel and it's to nice hear about some other places I haven't been.
I'm in Korea right now for a month, and a few years ago I lived here for 2 years.
I absolutely love this place and my goal is to buy a small officetel here so I can split my time between the US and Korea. Lots of things I like more here than the US.
People in general are much more respectful of others and the environment where they live. Some people complain it's hard to make friends, but I had no trouble. Most of my best friends are Korean and I met them within a month or two of living here.
They also take care of themselves and keep themselves looking nice. I had major reverse culture shock after returning to the US after two years and seeing how many gross and very fat people there were.
It's also very safe, and I've never been in an area where I felt in danger or creeped out. You can leave your phone or wallet sitting out anywhere while you go do something else and no one will steal it.
My wife and I had a group of Korean high school students from an orphanage visit us in the US as part of our nonprofit program, and we took them to Five Guys and the whole group put their phones and wallets down on a table and went to go to the bathroom. We had to nicely explain to them, You can't do that in America!!!
Some other things I loved when living here
• Lots of energy, everything is open late, and there's always something fun to do nearby and so many cheap places to eat.
• Public transportation is fantastic. Clean, cheap and easy to get anywhere you want.
• Awesome hiking, and lots of great parks
• Good medical system. It seems like the perfect balance between somewhere like the US vs the UK. Everyone pays a small amount into the national healthcare system, but you also still pay a small amount when you need medical care. You can get healthcare quickly.and you also have the choice of hospital or doctor. I had surgery here and had to visit the ER once, and overall it was a great experience and SO much cheaper than it would have been in the US (maybe part of the reason is that the majority of Koreans are not obese like Americans are). The ER experience was a little interesting too. Not necessarily bad, just much different than what I would expect!
The one big negative thing for me is the pollution in the winter. The vast majority is blown over from China, which sucks because Korea really has no control over it. It comes and goes depending on the weather, but when the air quality is bad it sucks.
Also, I don't have kids, but if I did I wouldn't want to raise them here. The quality of life for kids in high school here is terrible.
One new thing that jumped out to me since visiting after a few years away is that many intersections now have red/green lights embedded in the sidewalk in addition to the old crosswalk lights on the poles. Now there's no need to look up from having your face buried in your phone when you're waiting to cross the street.
People always staring at their phones is a global thing, but it's weird and kind of dystopian to see things like this being built.

I'm in Korea right now for a month, and a few years ago I lived here for 2 years.
I absolutely love this place and my goal is to buy a small officetel here so I can split my time between the US and Korea. Lots of things I like more here than the US.
People in general are much more respectful of others and the environment where they live. Some people complain it's hard to make friends, but I had no trouble. Most of my best friends are Korean and I met them within a month or two of living here.
They also take care of themselves and keep themselves looking nice. I had major reverse culture shock after returning to the US after two years and seeing how many gross and very fat people there were.
It's also very safe, and I've never been in an area where I felt in danger or creeped out. You can leave your phone or wallet sitting out anywhere while you go do something else and no one will steal it.
My wife and I had a group of Korean high school students from an orphanage visit us in the US as part of our nonprofit program, and we took them to Five Guys and the whole group put their phones and wallets down on a table and went to go to the bathroom. We had to nicely explain to them, You can't do that in America!!!
Some other things I loved when living here
• Lots of energy, everything is open late, and there's always something fun to do nearby and so many cheap places to eat.
• Public transportation is fantastic. Clean, cheap and easy to get anywhere you want.
• Awesome hiking, and lots of great parks
• Good medical system. It seems like the perfect balance between somewhere like the US vs the UK. Everyone pays a small amount into the national healthcare system, but you also still pay a small amount when you need medical care. You can get healthcare quickly.and you also have the choice of hospital or doctor. I had surgery here and had to visit the ER once, and overall it was a great experience and SO much cheaper than it would have been in the US (maybe part of the reason is that the majority of Koreans are not obese like Americans are). The ER experience was a little interesting too. Not necessarily bad, just much different than what I would expect!
The one big negative thing for me is the pollution in the winter. The vast majority is blown over from China, which sucks because Korea really has no control over it. It comes and goes depending on the weather, but when the air quality is bad it sucks.
Also, I don't have kids, but if I did I wouldn't want to raise them here. The quality of life for kids in high school here is terrible.
One new thing that jumped out to me since visiting after a few years away is that many intersections now have red/green lights embedded in the sidewalk in addition to the old crosswalk lights on the poles. Now there's no need to look up from having your face buried in your phone when you're waiting to cross the street.
People always staring at their phones is a global thing, but it's weird and kind of dystopian to see things like this being built.

Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

