The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New to forum..need to vent

d_hafa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 11, 2018
Hello everyone,

Been a lurker of this forum for around 2 years now, and just decided to finally sign up! I've read the millionaire fastlane about a year ago, and I'm currently reading 'Unscripted ' (just started actually).

I'm currently in the slow-lane industry, working, as a mechanic at a dealership. All though working the flat-rate system can get you a lot of money, it also takes a toll on you. It sucks the living life out of you, where you don't have time to enjoy your hobbies because all you want to do is relax and recover for the next day.

I've worked multiple 12 hour days just to earn that 80 hour/week pay, however, I don't see myself doing this for the rest of my life. My goals and my passion have diminished. I don't really know what to do anymore, but i know its not this.

I'm constantly thinking and searching as to what can I do or provide as a service for people. What do people need. I think of starting different things, like drop shipping, starting a mobile mechanic business, e-commerce business, etc.. but i haven't even gotten my feet wet. I also think of ideas needed in the industry I am currently in. No clear idea, but something that mechanics are in need of. What is something that can make their lives easier/less stressful. Can i provide something that they can rely on to help them in any way? Maybe a blog focused on efficiency and productivity in the work-place? sell a product to them to help them in any way? I have yet to think of any.

I'm stuck without any direction. I don't know where to start, but I do know and feel that I can be a successful entrepreneur in the future.

I'm here hoping I an gain a sense of direction as to what niche I wan't to be focused in, and as to where I can begin.

Sorry for the rant ladies and gentlemen. Just thought I'd vent a litttle.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Welcome to the forum (officially). Glad to have you here.

I also think of ideas needed in the industry I am currently in. No clear idea, but something that mechanics are in need of. What is something that can make their lives easier/less stressful. Can i provide something that they can rely on to help them in any way? Maybe a blog focused on efficiency and productivity in the work-place? sell a product to them to help them in any way? I have yet to think of any.
This is a great way to finding your product/service/business. Start with yourself. What is something you wish you had to make your job easier, more productive, less stressful? Then, reach out to others you already know in the industry to inquire with them. My dad was a welder for 40+ years and had many personal inventions (never patented or sold to anyone else) that made him better at his job, more efficient, etc.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
In the 2 years you have lurked, you have seen your same question many times, correct?

Based on what you have read a studied here, what is the normal answer to your question? What tangible action will you take to act upon that advice?

To help you on that path:
What value can you provide? What skillsets do you have? What contacts do you have? What ideas have come out of your brainstorming sessions? When you observe the world around you, what options do you see? When you talk with others, what ideas present themselves? When you take all those ideas and run them through CENTS, do any stand out? Who might pay you for that value?........ keep working that loop and trying things until you find a path(s) that hit!

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
Welcome!

A good start would be your current job and industry. What do you or other mechanics hate? What tools would make your life easier?

Paint Brush Cover and Paint Roller Cover - As Seen On Shark Tank this was created by a member of this forum who was a painter and found a great solution to a problem many painters encountered. You probably have brainstormed already but just food for thought!

d_hafa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 11, 2018
Welcome to the forum (officially). Glad to have you here.

This is a great way to finding your product/service/business. Start with yourself. What is something you wish you had to make your job easier, more productive, less stressful? Then, reach out to others you already know in the industry to inquire with them. My dad was a welder for 40+ years and had many personal inventions (never patented or sold to anyone else) that made him better at his job, more efficient, etc.

Thank you! yes, starting with myself and the skills I have obtained is definitely a head-start! Kudos to your dad. The trades industry is tough with a lot of physical labor. Mad props that he was able to do it for 40+ years!!

d_hafa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 11, 2018
In the 2 years you have lurked, you have seen your same question many times, correct?

Based on what you have read a studied here, what is the normal answer to your question? What tangible action will you take to act upon that advice?

To help you on that path:
What value can you provide? What skillsets do you have? What contacts do you have? What ideas have come out of your brainstorming sessions? When you observe the world around you, what options do you see? When you talk with others, what ideas present themselves? When you take all those ideas and run them through CENTS, do any stand out? Who might pay you for that value?........ keep working that loop and trying things until you find a path(s) that hit!
Welcome!

A good start would be your current job and industry. What do you or other mechanics hate? What tools would make your life easier?

Paint Brush Cover and Paint Roller Cover - As Seen On Shark Tank this was created by a member of this forum who was a painter and found a great solution to a problem many painters encountered. You probably have brainstormed already but just food for thought!

Thank you both...you know, i've realized that we live in a world where convenience is what we're all after. What can I do to make that happen.

No clear ideas running through my head. It's just really split second ideas because sometimes i don't even find any sense in what I am thinking of.

After trade-school, I went on a 2 year hiatus of "trying" to go back into college, and just trying to figure out what I really wanted to do with my life. Being a mechanic was something i thought was where I would fit, since after all, I am more of a hands on learner/do-er. Anyways, during that time I've developed a passion for fitness. I was once unemployed and the only thing i would do that would be a highlight of my day was workout with buddies.

I see probably see more possibilities in the fitness industry then in the mechanic industry. Fitness can go a long way..from having clientele, to writing e-book on workout programs and selling it, to starting a brand, etc.. but competition is just massive. Its ideal to me, but I already have that doubt that I can keep up with the competition.

With the mechanic industry, there's really not much going on besides people making tools and maybe starting your own business. I'm still trying to find a loop-hole- also trying to find that opportunity to be a middle-man somewhere. Maybe not focus solely on mechanics, but expand it a little further to the automotive industry as a whole. What are dealerships or independent shops buying that are costing way too much that I can simply cut that in half and still make a profit. Is there something I can make that would be cheaper, cost efficient, and just as durable as what they are currently paying for?

I can go on and on. Maybe what I really need is help...a partner to brainstorm with.

Anyways. thank you guys again. much appreciated.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
start a progress thread ..... throw those ideas out and let them get crushed ..... keep throwing things out until something sticks...... get a mastermind group together

also look up J Altucher waiter's pad

and get rid of these limited beliefs that there is not much going on or that you can do!!! that is what is holding you back!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
and get rid of these limited beliefs that there is not much going on or that you can do!!! that is what is holding you back!
Yes, you have some serious limiting beliefs at play here.

d_hafa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 11, 2018
start a progress thread ..... throw those ideas out and let them get crushed ..... keep throwing things out until something sticks...... get a mastermind group together

also look up J Altucher waiter's pad

Just read it! thanks for sharing!! :)

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
If there is a problem to be solved, value to be added or a way of making life easier then there is opportunity. Just remember, someone made millions by allowing smartphones to be put on the end of a stick to take pictures (the selfie stick). Sounds stupid out loud but think about how many problems that solved and people it helped.

It is not likely that an idea will not pop into your head, so keep your radar on all the time. Listen to the language of people 'i hate that...' 'it's stupid that... 'i wish...'. Those are people lamenting a problem they want fixed. When you are out next, look around the store and think how could you add value to what is being sold, what could you do differently etc.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Maybe not focus solely on mechanics, but expand it a little further to the automotive industry as a whole. What are dealerships or independent shops buying that are costing way too much that I can simply cut that in half and still make a profit.

This.

I would focus on something that benefits independent shops rather then dealerships because independent shops typically have higher costs (up front) and can use any bit of savings available before they get their clientele. As far as tools wise, maybe there is something that you could develop that snap on wont rob young mechanics dry with their overpriced tools. There is a huge second hand market for Snap on I know of (don’t know about MAC and Matco) where people are buying them used somewhere at pawns hops, estate sales, and turning them in for new ones at the snap on trucks...
I just feel that nowadays there is a lot of up front costs for an aspiring mechanic and unless he or she is really good at specifics (engine rebuilding for motor sports) and or electrical reconditioning and troubleshooting, its a race to the bottom... in many metropolis, many people are just fine to having their cars serviced at the dealerships and a lot fo independent shops are just keeping their head above the water it seems.

I do know know that with the newer model cars (2010-newer) there is tremendous electrical malfunctions and issues across al manufacturers, maybe that is a start for you; maybe there is someway to alleviate that as those are right up there with engine and transmission high cost repairs and or troubleshooting costs.

d_hafa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 11, 2018
This.

I would focus on something that benefits independent shops rather then dealerships because independent shops typically have higher costs (up front) and can use any bit of savings available before they get their clientele. As far as tools wise, maybe there is something that you could develop that snap on wont rob young mechanics dry with their overpriced tools. There is a huge second hand market for Snap on I know of (don’t know about MAC and Matco) where people are buying them used somewhere at pawns hops, estate sales, and turning them in for new ones at the snap on trucks...
I just feel that nowadays there is a lot of up front costs for an aspiring mechanic and unless he or she is really good at specifics (engine rebuilding for motor sports) and or electrical reconditioning and troubleshooting, its a race to the bottom... in many metropolis, many people are just fine to having their cars serviced at the dealerships and a lot fo independent shops are just keeping their head above the water it seems.

I do know know that with the newer model cars (2010-newer) there is tremendous electrical malfunctions and issues across al manufacturers, maybe that is a start for you; maybe there is someway to alleviate that as those are right up there with engine and transmission high cost repairs and or troubleshooting costs.

Definitely agree with you. Snap-on does rip us off with their over-priced tools, yet we pay for them because of the convenience that snap-on offers.

I would say the advantage of being in the dealer is the 'up-to-date' training we receive. Also, electric cars are taking over and i'd say independent shops won't have the proper training to provide these customers once their cars go out of warranty. I can consider opening up my own shop with the certifications to work on these electric cars (and the experience), however this is just another slow-lane opportunity. Could be making more money that way, but not what i'm after.

You did catch my attention by stating to target independent shops.

This is a start. thank you so much for your insight.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Since electric cars are (cough painfully) becoming the norm, I would target areas where there are the highest per capital electric vehicle ownership and see what the most common repairs are etc (my friend always complaining about his Nissan Leaf running out of charge like he forgets to charge it 8 hours for 50 miles haha) shit like that. I am sure that with this advent, dealerships will price gauge the hell out of electric car owners unless independent shops become plentiful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.