The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New desk>?

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Im looking to get a new computer desk, i have had a terrible setup for a while now. If you guys have any nice ones you could post pictures of with a link to purchase i would appreciate it. It does not have to be any thing crazy just something that works for the computer and being organized.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Are you serious?

Office Max

Office Depot

Craigslist

Ebay

How hard was that?

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Hey kwerner, these guys are all into computer and work desk stations, so they know about quality of desks this isn't kansas, i don't want a hoopty desk from your local office franchises that are on every corner there, this is NY, i want something quality and different, thank you though.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
OK, this has been an intense day on the forums, w/some of the stuff that's been talked about.

But I did have to grin-- and then laugh out loud-- at the interchange here between JoeyBiz and Kasey Werner.

Hope the two of you were both smiling when you wrote your posts-- 'cause they both read as funny stuff!

Hoopty desk? :smilielol:

-Russ H.

PS I kinda like this one. :)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
PS Joey, when I worked w/the guys at ILM (Industrial Light and Magic), some of 'em had their home setups on door blanks they bought from Home Depot for $30, set up on 2 2 drawer file cabinets.

It ain't always the desk, eh? ;)

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Well Joey, I guess if you ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer...

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
Well Joey, I guess if you ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer...

well for what it's worth Joey I didnt think it was a stupid question. If it was a stupid question I dont think a solid contributor like AndrewG would have asked it as well. I know I am getting old and this position might be antiquated but i feel the only stupid question is the one unasked.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Joey, your question is too vague. Do you need one monitor? two? five? One desktop/ or is it for a workstation and a laptop?

How much space do you have available? is that an issue?

Sometimes I am more productive while working with the laptop at the dinner table, others when I am working with a dual 17" monitors settings, KVM to switch between two computers, and a recliner chair.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
andviv makes a great point.

I've had all kinds of work stations (my mac repair guy still has one of my most impressive desks/work stations-- he uses them for storage).

I get my best work done w/my laptop-- on the couch.

Or on the road. I wrote some of my best columns in airplanes. Or squidged sideways in the front seat of a car, sitting in a parking lot, waiting for someone.

These days, I have a partner's desk w/my wife made from 2 solid wood tables placed back to back. We bought them at Walmart, and added a board alongside that has some 2 drawer file cabinets underneath (we had the board cut, biscuited, and then custom stained to match the desks, whose wood happens to match the redwood wainscoting and Brazilian cherry floors beautifully). These are part of our great room-- and you wouldn't believe how many guests/visitors have oohed and aaahed on how great our setup is, both functionally and aesthetically.

Our house was even selected to be on the local "Historic Holiday Tour" last year (quite an honor).

You'd never guess they were just 2 small tables.

Those tables cost us $120 ea (they had 4 chairs that came w/each of them-- we use those 8 chairs when we have lots of people over for dinner).

My other favorite desk is/was a drop leaf table, with only one of the drop leaves up. I stick it against a wall, sit in my favorite desk chair, and get lots of work done. I often have the laptop in my lap, w/my feet up on the edge of the desk. And this particular table just seems to work perfectly for this (and it looks good).

I've read a number of books on writing, by famous writers. My favorite insight on "the desk thing" is from Stephen King:

King tells a story about getting his fantasy desk, a massive oak slab that he placed in the middle of his spacious study. For six years, he sat "behind that desk either drunk or wrecked out of [his] mind." After sobering up, he replaced the desk with a smaller one that he put in a corner. "Life isn't a support system for art", he writes. "It's the other way around."

I agree.

For years, I bought desk after desk (I'm not kidding), in search of the holy grail of a desk that would magically turn my productivity around.

I found, you see, that every time I bought and installed a new desk, my productivity skyrocketed. I was inspired! Ideas just flowed! I got lots done!

It literally took me *years* to figure out that my inspiration came from two things:

1. I cleaned my office up, which TOTALLY unjammed my creative process, and

2. I often put the new desk in a different place in the house, or in my office-- changing my point of view.

Once I realized this, I've just cleaned my desk (actually did it last night), and I sit in different places around the house w/my laptop, when I feel the need for a change.

So for me, it wasn't about a desk.

Even though I thought it was.

I'm sure your situation is different, Joey.

I just thought you might enjoy my "search for the perfect desk", and what I learned from it. :)

-Russ H,

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I underestimated the value of a desk recently. I bought an expensive nice wood desk in an L-Shape that looked great, matched the home decor, looked very elegant ... except after two weeks, I noticed that I was very uncomfortable when sitting at it; my chair didn't fully fit underneath it, and my body position was awkward resulting in back pain.

I resorted to moving the desk out of my office into the spare room (where I ultimately will probably end up selling it on Craigslist at 75% the cost) and moved in my old cheezy desk that I used years ago back when I lived in my tiny studio apartment. It doesn't match the decor, it is cheap metal and plastic, but I feel *right* sitting at it.

My suggestion: Get something that fits YOU. Go function over look.

Jito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Dec 2, 2007
Bay Area
PS Joey, when I worked w/the guys at ILM (Industrial Light and Magic), some of 'em had their home setups on door blanks they bought from Home Depot for $30, set up on 2 2 drawer file cabinets.

It ain't always the desk, eh? ;)

Funny you should mention this. When my bro worked at ILM, his home desk was an old dining room table with the legs cut down to fit him perfectly.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Jito said:
Russ H said:
Joey, when I worked w/the guys at ILM (Industrial Light and Magic), some of 'em had their home setups on door blanks they bought from Home Depot for $30, set up on 2 2 drawer file cabinets.

It ain't always the desk, eh?
Funny you should mention this. When my bro worked at ILM, his home desk was an old dining room table with the legs cut down to fit him perfectly.
Bingo. :thumbsup:

And when I worked w/the Disney Imagineers?

Same thing.

-Russ H.

PS Now that you mention it-- I forgot to mention we trimmed the table legs on our Walmart tables down, to desk height. We measured where we loved to have our chairs, and cut the tables to fit perfectly.

D

DeletedUser394

hi go with craig list i am shore u will find what u want

Why do you keep bumping 3-4 year old threads and giving 1 word - 1 sentence answers?

I'm pretty sure he bought his desk a few years ago when this was originally posted...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.