The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Administration Opportunities!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Another interesting portion of the ATW, For all the E-Entrepreneurs out there:

Promote Digital Inclusion: The lack of affordable, high-speed Internet access in rural, urban, and minority communities has created a digital divide between those who have access to the Internet and those who do not.

This severely limits the growth potential of many urban and rural companies. Approximately only one-third of
rural areas and half of urban areas have high-speed Internet at home or work. The areas affected by Hurricane Katrina have particularly suffered due to a lack of IT infrastructure. Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe we can get true broadband to every community in America through a combination of reform of the Universal Service Fund, better use of the nation’s wireless spectrum, promotion of next-generation technologies, and new tax and loan incentives.

As a key step to achieving full broadband access, Obama believes the Federal Communications Commission should provide an accurate map of broadband availability using a true definition of broadband instead of the current 200 kbs standard and an assessment of obstacles to fuller broadband penetration.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
Sorry to regress this discussion, but I just ran upon this thread and I absolutely LOVE what everyone has to say about this. I work around some very wealthy people and none of them can just stop complaining! And when they ask me about it I simply say "What happened is done and over, now is the time to get ready to make some adjustments and revamp your strategy to make money no matter what happens with taxes." They all think that I am crazy...but just wait until I leave them in the dust!!

I have always been of the mind that it doesn't matter how much it costs...it is how much it makes me that matters.

Best,
Josh

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Josh-

It's really interesting that you say this.

When I was working for captains of industry and other wealthy folks, *they* were the ones who first shared w/me the secret of "it's doesn't matter who's in power, I'll still make money".

The first guy that told this to me was an ex-Wall St trader who literally had gone more than $1,000,000 in the hole on bad futures/options trading. When I met him, he'd dug himself out and was again a multi-millionaire-- only 5 years after his huge losses. He was very proud of the fact that he didn't "write down" any of it-- he worked hard and made it all back. He explained to me that, as a trader, this was important. If word got around that you were only there for your clients in fair weather, no one would want to stick with you through the rough spots (made sense to me).

I met him more than 20 years ago!

Since that time, I've been around my share of celebs, venture capitalists, billionaires and hectomillionaires ($100M+). Some of them *love* to complain, but that's just who they are. Most of the ones I chose to work with were just the opposite-- very calm and non-emotional about these things. Making money was just something they enjoyed.

And when the rules changed, it was just part of the game for them. Time to come up with new strategies. :smxF:

-Russ H.

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
I thought it was interesting, as well. Of course, the ones that do throw out the most complaints and worry about what is to come are the ones who have made most of their money in the past decade. Is it the change that they are worried about? Honestly, I was expecting a bit more of a "tough skin" about all of this. Not that I don't want to see that they care, but more along the lines of business. Sure, there are going to be some changes and things to work around but that makes it that much more interesting!! I love it! Adversity is what keeps us going and it is in the midst of adversity that the real rockstars emerge!!
Either way, I am carefully screening partners for my commercial RE investment firm and only working closely with people whose only concern about the current economic climate is how they can work it to their benefit. This has caused some adversity for me with dealing with people, but going through all of this has motivated me more to work with like-minded people.

I love this forum, haha.....

Josh

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
In some cases I could see the complaining like a bluff or a front. The people complain loudly and act real stressed out about the changes publicly. Privately it's all under control. You never show all your cards.:cheers:

gofalls

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 7, 2007
Phx, AZ
Guns –All I heard about over the weekend was how the new administration might make it more difficult to buy guns so many people went out and bought that firearm they always wanted. I watched SWHC Smith and Wesson go up 25% on Monday and RGR Ruger go up about 8%. What else could the new administration potentially do to change people’s perceptions and buying habits? How can we profit off of energy (if we don’t drill), or health care (if it becomes nationalized)? If abortion is made more accessible and is used more frequently with the new administration, what products parallel that procedure that might increase in value? Hmm, got me thinking.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Guns –All I heard about over the weekend was how the new administration might make it more difficult to buy guns so many people went out and bought that firearm they always wanted. I watched SWHC Smith and Wesson go up 25% on Monday and RGR Ruger go up about 8%...
Don't know if that is the only reason. But I have a good friend who is a gun collector and works in a gun shop part time as a hobby and favor to the owner. He said this weekend alone their sales were almost 10 TIMES GREATER than a normal weekend!!

I've been following this thread with great interest. You guys are a good influence. I've been wallowing a bit in my angst and frustration since last Tuesday. But it occurs to me once again (as we have to occasionally be reminded) that there is always SOMEONE making money, in every economy. There were millionaires made during the great depression.

So the key is figuring out how to change your tactics and strategies to best take advantage of the new rules and conditions. "How can I best use this to my advantage?" I'm reminded of the old Tony Robbins' quote, "The quality of your life comes down to the quality of the questions you ask yourself." (paraphased)

Thanks for the reminder!!

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Agree that guns are selling like hotcakes right now -- I'm one of the customers looking to lock up a few pieces into my collection before they become banned, etc. Good investments too, since guns always appreciate in value once they have been banned and become "Grandfathered" in. If you're going to invest in some firearms for appreciation, make sure you buy ones that will most likely be banned. AK-47's come to mind, along with Barrett .50 caliber sniper rifles. Also time to load up on high capacity magazines.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Agree that guns are selling like hotcakes right now --

Yup, we were in a sporting goods store this weekend, and the gal behind the counter said guns are selling like crazy.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
So the key is figuring out how to change your tactics and strategies to best take advantage of the new rules and conditions.

My kids have this card game called Fluxx.... (great stocking stuffer for all you parents out there, btw) Most games have static rules. We have all become accustomed to that idea. Chess, checkers, monopoly - - they all have "the rules" sitting there for reference. But, fluxx is different. The rules are always changing. It is just a part of the game.

I guess it is more like "real life" that way. The changing rules are a part of the game. The sooner we all accept that, the faster we can start looking for ways to win in the new atmosphere. ;)

Fluxx - Looney Labs

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Hey have you guys noticed that all the promises have dissapeared from change.gov? They're gone... It was just on the news and someone from the Obama camp was saying "Uh, We are retooling the whole website..."

What's up with that?

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I guess that's what they called "Change!"

They are making changes. :)

Personally, promises are just promoises. Once you are elected! The promises are no longer promises.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
hakrjak said:
Hey have you guys noticed that all the promises have dissapeared from change.gov? They're gone... It was just on the news and someone from the Obama camp was saying "Uh, We are retooling the whole website..."

What's up with that?

Since I never really followed the Obama campaign, I never went to this website.

Went there today, and was *totally bowled over* by all the info they give on what they're doing. Damn! :)

Thanks for telling us about the link, Hak-- it's the perfect place to find out what the new administration is up to, and how to take advantage of it. Rep Speed! + + + :banana:

-Russ H.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Guns –All I heard about over the weekend was how the new administration might make it more difficult to buy guns so many people went out and bought that firearm they always wanted.
You are not the only one working on it ;)

tihi_.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.