The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Administration Opportunities!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
New administration in the US brings new opportunity - - - where is it?

Edit:
Many have just complained about how the end of the world is here and that there is no future with the new administration for investors, entrepreneurs and business owners. I tend to disagree and honestly believe there are opportunities out there.

Your opinions/comments?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Re: Holy Sh*t!

Politics, Shmolitics.

One thing hasn't changed:

Let's figure out how to profit from any changes that are going to take place. :banana::banana::banana:

-Russ H.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Let's figure out how to profit from any changes that are going to take place. :banana::banana::banana:

-Russ H.

I like this attitude. No matter how much tax I have to pay. I have to pay. That's my citizen's duty.

I would rather focus on making more money to support my families and life style than worrying about paying too much tax.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

terrance-

Interesting point.

I have a friend who owns a large shopping center in southern CA (worth about $70M). He jokes about one of *his* friends who loves taxes. His friend's favorite line is "Show Me the Tax!!"

Thing is, his friend has made MOUNTAINS of money by not being tax-averse. He just budgets it into his overall investment strategy.

So when others shy away from deals that might involve heavy tax burdens, this guy has gone in and figured out how to make money.

It's worth thinking about.

-Russ H.

PS I've never been afraid of taxes once I realized that once you start making over $100K a year, you can afford to hire an acct smart enough to save you money on your taxes. So the end result is, you don't need to pay crazy tax rates if you follow the rules. Just hire someone who knows the rules-- and the loopholes. :)

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
941%
Jun 7, 2008

Umm . . .

So you don't mourn the past, you embrace the future, eh?

1031 the surplus into a commercial prop w/a long term tenant and NNN leasing.

Tax you pay for this?

Not $270,000

Not $150,000

ZERO.

You get to use ALL of that money. :)

-Russ H.

Good point Russ, but what to do if you want to make your asset liquid? Or, say you 1031 a few properties (making the most of what you have earned) and then want to cash out (Hypothetically speaking, because we all know Fastlaners would stay in the game forever :smxF:). At some point the 27% CapGains taxes will find you (unless say, you wait until they drop back down).

Just thinking out loud.

-Alex

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

Alex-

Then you hire a tax professional/wealth coach, they look at your unique situation, and make suggestions. You save LOTS.

At least that's what we did.

Money (and time) well spent. :)

-Russ H.

PS Everyone's sitch is different, so I'm not going to outline what we're doing--- both b/c it wouldn't apply to others, and b/c I don't feel comfortable sharing that kind of in-depth info. But it can be done (and is done, all the time).

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

Exactly.

This is a golden opportunity, folks.

Every time there is a regime change in this country, there are new opportunities for building wealth.

SPEED is key. Figure out where the money is going.

I'm kinda surprised at the tone of some of these posts on this thread.

But that's OK w/me-- I'm still gonna go apple picking! :banana::banana::banana:

-Russ H.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA

Every time there is a regime change in this country, there are new opportunities for building wealth.

SPEED is key. Figure out where the money is going.

-Russ H.

Here are my thoughts that directions-

1. alternative energy- I see this getting a huge boon from the admin. To that end, I am planning to take a class to get solar system design certified and get a solar dealership. Just have to do a quit rehab first.

2. for at least the next 2 months, gun sales will go through the roof. People are afraid that Obama is going to take away their right to buy certain guns, so they are buying them now.

3. companies like what bounce is doing. There will be increased social programs under this regime, no doubt about it. With that being the case, there needs to be someone to provide the service. sect 8 housing, daycare, job training, drug counseling, any service that the government wants to give to the poor downtrodden people will need someone to provide it.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

Of course, time will tell what will actually change, but a part of Obama's plan is no capital gains for small businesses. or.... investments in small businesses. I haven't been able to find any particulars about what that actually means, but - - - that is the item I'm looking forward to hearing more about.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

One of the campaign issues was the tax breaks to companies that create new jobs. That loophole sounds interesting to follow as well.

Also, as somebody mentioned before, tax breaks (credits?) for alternative energy. I think that RE investors, when building new properties or rehabbing others, could add "green" features and get the credits, and then sell the house with the extra added features.

I saw a TV show (planet green channel) where this investor (in Austin, IIRC) is rehabbing houses and making sure they meet some green standards, gets some tax credits back, gets free publicity by the city, commands higher prices for his properties, and then he is featured in TV and newspaper as the great environmentalist, energy-efficient guy. If more tax credits are added at the federal level then you will be getting paid for doing something good for the environment and getting a better return on your investment.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

From the Obama website:

Provide Zero Capital Gains and Other Tax Relief for Small Businesses and Start Ups: Barack Obama believes that we need to reduce burdens on small business owners, many of whom are struggling to succeed as health care and energy costs continue to skyrocket. Barack Obama and Joe Biden will eliminate all capital gains taxes on small and start-up businesses to encourage innovation and job creation.

Obama and Biden will support small business owners by providing a $500 “Making Work Pay” tax credit to almost every worker in America. Self-employed small business owners pay both the employee and the employer side of the payroll tax, and this measure will reduce the burdens of this double taxation.

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/SmallBusinessFINAL.pdf

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

Also, as somebody mentioned before, tax breaks (credits?) for alternative energy. .

Hubby just told me he heard on NPR about a company that is putting solar panels on rooftops - and paying the owners of the houses, providing all maintenance, etc.

The www.itulip.com crowd thinks that alt. energy will be the next big "bubble." With such a huge democrat majority, I would tend to agree. Watch for lots of opportunity there!

Land in rural Wyoming, Eastern Montana, Eastern Washington, etc. is very cheap and ripe for wind power.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA

Hubby just told me he heard on NPR about a company that is putting solar panels on rooftops - and paying the owners of the houses, providing all maintenance, etc.

Land in rural Wyoming, Montana, etc. is very cheap and ripe for wind power.

there is already a 20 or 30% credit, (cannot remember) on the fed level. The bank bailout removed the cap so you can get the % on the whole project of residential. Still about a 10 year payback.

Commercial gives you a certain amount/sf. Not nearly as lucrative, though one accountant is saying the % is available for the commercial as well, so that one I have not seen nailed down yet.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

I am impressed, leave it to you guys to find the rosy side to all this. Very cool.:cheers:

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

I didn't hear the story, but apparently there is an energy company out there that is essentially leasing rooftop space from people - - - then putting solar there.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Look where the money is-- it's the same stuff we've always done-- we just have to make some massive adjustments in what/where we're looking!

-Russ H.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA

I didn't hear the story, but apparently there is an energy company out there that is essentially leasing rooftop space from people - - - then putting solar there.

that would be interesting especially if you owned a big warehouse or something.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Yes ATW, I've heard that one too. Can't recall the name, but I think they were doing it thanks to schwarzenegger's tax credits in California.

Oh, and by the way, you are quoting the wrong web site...
There is a new one.

Change.gov

Here:
AND PLEASE DON'T DISCUSS IF IT WILL HAPPEN OR HOW TO PAY FOR IT, JUST THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES:

Improve Transition Assistance: To help all workers adapt to a rapidly changing economy, Obama and Biden will update the existing system of Trade Adjustment Assistance by extending it to service industries, creating flexible education accounts to help workers retrain, and providing retraining assistance for workers in sectors of the economy vulnerable to dislocation before they lose their jobs.
What it means: Education and Training companies will be in demand. Teach factory workers how to use the internet, for example. Computers 101.

Reward Companies that Support American Workers: Barack Obama introduced the Patriot Employer Act of 2007 with Senators Richard Durbin (D-IL) and Sherrod Brown (D-OH) to reward companies that create good jobs with good benefits for American workers. The legislation would provide a tax credit to companies that maintain or increase the number of full-time workers in America relative to those outside the US; maintain their corporate headquarters in America if it has ever been in America; pay decent wages; prepare workers for retirement; provide health insurance; and support employees who serve in the military.
What it means: Lets say your company needs to hire three employees. Hire an employee in a cheap labor country (India, China for example) and then hire two in here. Now you qualify for the tax credit and you still get the three employees you needed anyway.

Invest In A Clean Energy Economy And Create 5 Million New Green Jobs: Obama and Biden will invest $150 billion over 10 years to advance the next generation of biofuels and fuel infrastructure, accelerate the commercialization of plug-in hybrids, promote development of commercial scale renewable energy, invest in low emissions coal plants, and begin transition to a new digital electricity grid. The plan will also invest in America's highly-skilled manufacturing workforce and manufacturing centers to ensure that American workers have the skills and tools they need to pioneer the first wave of green technologies that will be in high demand throughout the world.
What it means: More opportunities for companies that provide training.

Create New Job Training Programs for Clean Technologies: The Obama-Biden plan will increase funding for federal workforce training programs and direct these programs to incorporate green technologies training, such as advanced manufacturing and weatherization training, into their efforts to help Americans find and retain stable, high-paying jobs. Obama and Biden will also create an energy-focused youth jobs program to invest in disconnected and disadvantaged youth.
What it means: More training needed. Government will pay for it.

Boost the Renewable Energy Sector and Create New Jobs: The Obama-Biden plan will create new federal policies, and expand existing ones, that have been proven to create new American jobs. Obama and Biden will create a federal Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) that will require 25 percent of American electricity be derived from renewable sources by 2025, which has the potential to create hundreds of thousands of new jobs on its own. Obama and Biden will also extend the Production Tax Credit, a credit used successfully by American farmers and investors to increase renewable energy production and create new local jobs.
What it means: Solar and Wind.

Deploy Next-Generation Broadband: Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe we can get broadband to every community in America through a combination of reform of the Universal Service Fund, better use of the nation's wireless spectrum, promotion of next-generation facilities, technologies and applications, and new tax and loan incentives.
What it means: More training needed so people can use. More Help Desk and companies that setup wireless for technically-challenged users, paid with tax credits and loan incentives.

Expand High-Quality Afterschool Opportunities: Obama and Biden will double funding for the main federal support for afterschool programs, the 21st Century Learning Centers program, to serve a million more children. Obama and Biden will include measures to maximize performance and effectiveness across grantees nationwide.
What it means: Opportunities for small businesses to provide this programs and get paid by the government, not the users.

SO YOU CAN SEE THERE ARE SOME OPPORTUNITIES AHEAD.

I don't know if they are right/wrong. if they will succeed or fail. I do know that the government will create tax loopholes, give tax credits, and incentive some of these. Are we going to complain or are we gonna take these opportunities and run with them?

Again, if you can see, I'm not talking politics, I am talking how the policies can be profitable.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I am impressed, leave it to you guys to find the rosy side to all this.
I'm adding thread tags like a madman!!:eusa_clap:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

++++ speed to ATW and Andviv. Awesome finds!:icon_super:

Qjet50

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 26, 2007
Pearl City, HI

Politics, Shmolitics.

One thing hasn't changed:

-Russ H.

Reminds me of a quote in the move Heartbreak Ridge:

Gunny: You're Marines now. You adapt. You overcome. You improvise. Let's move.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs

Of course, time will tell what will actually change, but a part of Obama's plan is no capital gains for small businesses. or.... investments in small businesses. I haven't been able to find any particulars about what that actually means, but - - - that is the item I'm looking forward to hearing more about.

Hmmm, I wonder if my flipping business would qualify as a small business under his plan. I was just saying to someone that if my capital gains taxes go up to 30-40% I'll seriously consider not flipping anymore (Which would cut about $40k a year out of Home Depot's bottom line). 0% would do just the opposite for me though -- I'd flip even more, moving even more money through the economy.

- Hakrjak

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

Hmmm, I wonder if my flipping business would qualify as a small business under his plan.

- Hakrjak

That is where it gets interesting.... what, exactly will (or how can you make it) qualify for this 0 cap gain tax?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

Hmmm. This one really catches my eye too...

From Andviv's link above:

Create a National Network of Public-Private Business Incubators: Barack Obama and Joe Biden will support entrepreneurship and spur job growth by creating a national network of public-private business incubators. Business incubators facilitate the critical work of entrepreneurs in creating start-up companies. Obama and Biden will invest $250 million per year to increase the number and size of incubators in disadvantaged communities throughout the country.

Me Like.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

Hey Sonya, d'ya think I can convince them that the Napa Valley is a disadvantaged community?

No?

Dang.

I'm gonna come up with something.

Or hey-- maybe we'll just keep doing what we're doing.

It all depends on where the markets go.

-Russ H.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Hey Sonya, d'ya think I can convince them that the Napa Valley is a disadvantaged community?

No?

Dang.

I'm gonna come up with something.

Or hey-- maybe we'll just keep doing what we're doing.

It all depends on where the markets go.

-Russ H.

Must be disadvantaged, vertically challenged plants.:tiphat:

Starsky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 29, 2007
Now this is what I like to read, this is what gets the motivation going. Instead of fretting about what MIGHT be a problem, use it to go about solving what MIGHT be a problem & profit from it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.