The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need some perspectives on recent opportunity

Anything related to matters of the mind

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
Well, I have a great mentor who runs a Internet Marketing service near my area. He is doing really well. But I was talking to him the other day about looking for opportunities to provide value or something along those lines. He took note of it and called me today. He basically told me he has a great opportunity in a new business which he would start, and I could be his salesman(this business would be a service for other local businesses). I would make money off commission, and eventually if I wanted to I could do it all myself (make this exact business just in different niches) I just wouldn't have his guidance.

I'm lost, I think this sounds like a great opportunity but my gut is feeling weird about it and I usually go with my gut feeling. But this is one of my mentors who's given me thousands of dollars worth of advice and guidance.
I hope I am explaining enough, and if not feel free to say so as I will try to elaborate more. I am trying to see if someone see's anything suspicious or of weird nature that maybe I'm just not seeing.
Any thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vespasian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Oct 4, 2013
What's the upside, what's the downside?
How much potential do you see for yourself? Which risks are involved for you?

Those are the only questions you need to answer. Based on your info I doubt that anybody can give you a serious statement.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
What's the upside, what's the downside?
How much potential do you see for yourself? Which risks are involved for you?

Those are the only questions you need to answer. Based on your info I doubt that anybody can give you a serious statement.

You know I think this is a great opportunity, I just think that my Slowlane sensors are going off with the "sounds too good to be true" alarm. There is a lot of learning potential. Sales, networking, etc. Downside : well maybe if I decided to finally do it on my own, I'm scared that I'd lose him as a mentor.
I don't have any risk he's paying for everything for the first business, I just see growth.

Idk why I asked, I guess I just wanted to be sure that it was a good idea to pursue. Since I'm not owning my own business (at least initially) I guess I was a bit nervous to go through with it.

I think I will go through with it.

Vespasian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Oct 4, 2013
You know I think this is a great opportunity, I just think that my Slowlane sensors are going off with the "sounds too good to be true" alarm. There is a lot of learning potential. Sales, networking, etc. Downside : well maybe if I decided to finally do it on my own, I'm scared that I'd lose him as a mentor.
I don't have any risk he's paying for everything for the first business, I just see growth.

Idk why I asked, I guess I just wanted to be sure that it was a good idea to pursue. Since I'm not owning my own business (at least initially) I guess I was a bit nervous to go through with it.

I think I will go through with it.

Without knowing anything about you, your business and your goals I'd say that having a mentor and some sort of playground is a perfect opportunity. Just make sure that you two are on the same page and that everything is clear right from the start. Write everything down and sign it. This is crucial. I saw a lot of good relationships turn ugly because the human brain likes to forget a lot of stuff and likes to interpret things in thousand different ways.

What would be your alternative? If you have some good ideas that you really want to pursue then it might be better to focus on your own business and get some input from him.

As long as you don't have to sign a long term binding contract it could be a perfect learning opportunity.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
He took note of it and called me today. He basically told me he has a great opportunity in a new business which he would start, and I could be his salesman(this business would be a service for other local businesses). I would make money off commission, and eventually if I wanted to I could do it all myself (make this exact business just in different niches) I just wouldn't have his guidance.

Can u provide more info? Selling what specifically? Hard to say one way or the other. Nothing in what you mentioned seems fishy.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm lost, I think this sounds like a great opportunity but my gut is feeling weird about it and I usually go with my gut feeling. But this is one of my mentors who's given me thousands of dollars worth of advice and guidance.

Don't ignore your 'gut'. I've had gut feelings about people before but the majority seem to praise them which caused me to question myself. "If so many people are just crazy over this person maybe I'm just too jaded or cynical. Maybe I should be more open to them." Because of their popularity or celebrity I overlook and suppressed those feelings. Well, let me tell you, my gut has never been wrong.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Of course as Vespasian said, without more info no one but yourself can give you a true perspective.

But based on what you've shared the only thing I see that's holding you back is fear, commission only can cause this fear to stir, but let me assure you, whenever you have a safety net (eg: salary) you also have a ceiling. By removing one you are forced to remove the other as well.

Working in sales, especially if commission is paying the bills, will force you to innovate, be creative, discover new perspectives, and grow as a person. All which are skills needed in going after your own business.

It sounds like your mentor trusts you enough to invest his wallet in you, and people vote with their wallet. He sees potential because you (in my opinion) are someone who takes guidance and applies it and aren't just looking for a "get rich quick" solution from someone wealthier than yourself.

If he's offered for you to run a business similar to this on your own later down the road I wouldn't worry about losing him as a friend or mentor, but eventually, you will become more of an equal than a student and this is when he'll help you set up your own business or "fly on your own" you won't be so worried then about losing your mentor because instead you'll become more of a mastermind of two.

Go for it, what have you got to lose?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.