The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Help making an app....

Pure5abi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 21, 2013
New York
Hey guys. I think i have a great idea for a app but don't know where to start. I don't know anything about coding or programming. I try to learn but it all goes over my head. I read a lot on how to do everything but just don't have the balls I guess. I need to know how to get this app out in the market from the ground. Anyone who has or had experience in this market and want to help please PM me or leave a comment. Anything would be appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
using the search function on this forum is a good first start. from your post you have done absolutely nothing to try to find info on this. so why would anyone waste their time typing a long response when youve put in no work?

Pure5abi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 21, 2013
New York
Well I have everything laid out such as the design, details and the functions. I guess I need guidance on how to outsource it or find the right people.

Nick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 25, 2011
Try contacting some app development companies / app developers. Most of them provide a free quote or a free initial consultation to discuss your idea. Even if you don't end up working with them due to cost, you still learn something about your project by talking to experienced people in the area. You should be able to find out at the very least if your idea is feasible technically / within Apple guidelines / how much would cost (usually a range, or a magnitude order at this stage) to implement.
(shameless plug, feel free to get in touch at Appnific | Get A Quote )

If you are looking to outsource it cheaper on sites like freelancer.com, elance.com, odesk.com (these are top 3), post a project with some basic details telling people to get in touch with you for more details (specify in the announcement to use a special keyword when contacting you by private message to filter out the automated spam scripts that respond to each new projects in certain category), then provide the outsources with more details and see where they go from there.

Warning: You will get plenty of people saying yes we can do it without even reading your specs. That's because bidding on freelancer sites is usually a shitty activity with very low returns, so people say yes to all projects since it is too costly for them to review each project thoughtfully because the rate of closing a project is low there. Whoever takes time to carefully review your spec - and it should be obvious from the questions they have - is a good starting sign to proceed forward.

Warning You will get people try to get you on skype to chat. A lot of them. Prepare to spend a lot of time talking with them and interviewing them. Most of them will be sales reps that can't help you as they do not know anything more about app development than you do. Some will connect you to their tech leads / project managers, where you can get some useful info from someone who has at least some ideas about how app development works. Avoid people that give you quotes instantly, that's a red flag. Avoid anyone that asks well, how much would you pay me to do it or etc...

Warning The completion rate for projects on freelancer sites goes drastically low the lower the bid goes. Most of the projects do not end up finished there --- especially those that seem to good a price to be true, because at some point in the development either the developer will get stuck and will not know how to complete the project / or they will realize they bid too low for the project if it's a fixed project and it's not worth their time to put extra effort into it, so they will bail.

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
I have an app in the App Store, before you THINK of getting programmed. Figured out how you will market it. Whether paid or free, figure out WHO your market it and WHY they need (not want) you app. Great apps dont mean squat if no one knows about them.

Use the search too, there are plenty of app threads on this forum and the INSIDERS forum. Including mine.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky

fasteddienc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 21, 2013
App Idiots is a great book! It's a bit discouraging but shoots it straight that just the idea and even the app is nothing by itself. After reading this book and if you still believe your app is a good idea then I suggest trying to learn programming it yourself. App Idiots maps out the pitfalls of leaving your app to someone else. The following 3 Book set is good for beginners. Here is Book 1 and you can search for the other 2 on Amazon: Book 1: Diving In - iOS App Development for Non-Programmers (The Series on How to Write iPhone & iPad Apps): Kevin McNeish: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

DavLung

Really Fast Tricycle
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 4, 2012
California
App Empire by Chad Mureta

biddyco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 26, 2012
I launched my first iOS app a few months ago. At 30,000+ downloads and make around $40/month from ads. Outsourced the whole thing for $150 + the $99/year Apple fee. Went into it not trying to get rich but just to launch something small before I do something more complex. Feel free to ask any questions you have. Also I wrote a short blog post about my experience, maybe that will help?

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
I have sent you a message. Let me be the first to remind you that everyone out there will immediately tell you to stop. Your friend wants to start a restaurant what does 99% of the people he tells respond... something negative. People aren't used to risk. I thought people in this group would be more welcoming to ideas and rather criticizing actually give positive feedback. Sure you have (some of you) but in a negative tone.

Anyways. You need a product that fulfills the 5 factors, if you read this book you know what they are. I will help you make sure that your app will do this, most importantly will it make money. I also forgot to mention in the PM that we are also do marketing. So once your app is ready and built we can get it off the shelves. No point on just having a product sitting collecting dust right?

So yea, lets start this journey brother. Just be positive and remember an idea is just an idea it's all about the execution.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I have sent you a message. Let me be the first to remind you that everyone out there will immediately tell you to stop. Your friend wants to start a restaurant what does 99% of the people he tells respond... something negative. People aren't used to risk. I thought people in this group would be more welcoming to ideas and rather criticizing actually give positive feedback. Sure you have (some of you) but in a negative tone.

Anyways. You need a product that fulfills the 5 factors, if you read this book you know what they are. I will help you make sure that your app will do this, most importantly will it make money. I also forgot to mention in the PM that we are also do marketing. So once your app is ready and built we can get it off the shelves. No point on just having a product sitting collecting dust right?

So yea, lets start this journey brother. Just be positive and remember an idea is just an idea it's all about the execution.

1) Half the guys telling him not to waste time trying to develop apps are prior app developers themselves, myself included.

3) Your spamming "brother", both on this and other threads
However, I am having a hard time getting clients. I was wondering if anyone here has tips on marketing and knows how I can improve both my app and business.

4) Contrary to your claims, successful apps need to meet more than just CENTS, but you wouldn't know that since you haven't even released an app yet.

5) How can you "make sure that his app will make money"? Have you even created an app on your own that makes money?

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Mike,

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was simply stating that we shouldn't reject his idea immediately. Why? Instead give constructive criticism as to why he should or should not continue. It's how you approach a situation that makes an individual stand out.

As for the latter, I was unaware that was considered spamming I apologize. However, when I wrote that post, I was truthfully curious as how people get more clients in a similar field. Would you not ask a forum full of entrepreneurs and some that are successful for assistance. I have no shame in admitting I may need help. I then saw someone whom I believe can help me with my needs and I with his. Have I launched an app before, yes. My company has, however, I was "in that post" discussing an app I am making personally. It is very different when you work and try to promote your app than a scenario in which a customer asks you to develop and app for them. Once I develop an app for a company that is it I am done. Unless they ask me to do more, I am not required to do more work for them.

So albeit there was miscommunication, I will apologize if I did something wrong. This was not my intention.

As to your last question, theoretically yes I have. I have worked with very large companies that have successfully made profits from their apps. Now I can write a song and dane about how I can't share anything or some other excuse, but that just looks petty. Truthfully, I am confident in my ability. I am 19 years old, I successfully pay my way through schooling, purchased my mother a car as a gift, and about to purchase myself a car. Am I bragging, slightly, but you attempted to attack my credibility.

Again, I may be asking for advice and that alone loses my credibility, but again, I have no shame is asking for advice on a forum with people who have succeeded far beyond their expectation. For all I know, you yourself may have done some major project and exceeded your own expectations. And I would greatly appreciate your input. I am here to learn, but more so, I am also here to assist others. I'm not here just to get a few answers to my question and then scramming. But thank you. I appreciate your post. I will be more cautious and aware of what I am writing.

I apologize for insulting and/or tackling you in my previous post that was not my intention.

stephanduq

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 7, 2013
After a month since my own app launch I would say: There is more to developing apps then making an app.

The development of the app is the easy part. Tweaking, marketing, claiming your app-store position, improving user experience (and using that to direct users to paywalls) is where the real work is.

The most important thing for me was to decide what kind of app-developer I am. Am I a developer that creates a lot of apps, and create income through a lot of different small streams. Or am I a developer who wants to create a small set of valuable products that I can support at a professional quality level. Basically the difference between a shotgun or sniper rifle. Both can get the job done in the end, but the road to it is very different

Nick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 25, 2011
Truthfully, I am confident in my ability. I am 19 years old, I successfully pay my way through schooling, purchased my mother a car as a gift, and about to purchase myself a car. Am I bragging, slightly, but you attempted to attack my credibility.

How does your credibility on providing advice on how to develop an app improves because you purchased your mother a car as a gift?

You are a good kid, and i admire your attempt to make something of yourself and break out and that you are in the beginning etc.. But people that ask for advice here, are looking for advice from experienced entrepreneurs because that's very valuable and rare to get.

Contradicting them just for the sake of conversation or for being supportive is not very helpful. People here are not "the 99% of people that will try to crush your dream", that's disrespectful to say. People here are the 1% that encourages people to start businesses, and when they say be cautious, you better be paying attention.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
I appreciate your input and I felt that you were, this is text so its hard to read what someone is trying to emphasize emotionally. But you have taught me a valuable lesson and I appreciate that. I will definitely listen more before responding. So thank you. Again, OP, if you have questions please feel free to ask me. I don't want to sell anything in this next sentence. But as of yesterday, I am working on 5 apps, does that mean all will be successful, I hope so, as that would be amazing, but realistically no. Do I know what I am doing more than the average joe, I believe so.

Therefore, I do believe I may be able to assist you on this subject matter, just as Nick would be or some other experienced members. Also do not let my age deter from my experience, I may be "20" (a month away) but I have operated my business for over 2 years and have learned far more than someone who has a masters in some degree, works a desk job, and doesn't actually live his/her life.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
Guys, You mind sharing what mobile platform You develop for? I guess it's iOS.

I'm developing too - for Android. Made some simple apps, made little money from that, but know how it works.

If I can help on this - You got me ;)

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
I have an app in the App Store, before you THINK of getting programmed. Figured out how you will market it. Whether paid or free, figure out WHO your market it and WHY they need (not want) you app. Great apps dont mean squat if no one knows about them.

Use the search too, there are plenty of app threads on this forum and the INSIDERS forum. Including mine.

I think we should reconsider WHY in case of apps. When I see best grossing apps they are mostly entertainment apps, not utility ones. Think Candr Crush Saga and other who makes six, seven figures DAILY!

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Another article on apps people should read: The Surprising Numbers Behind Apps - Digits - WSJ

Notable quotes:

"12% of developers make $100,000 or more"

"But the dirty secret is that most apps aren’t big hits. In fact, only 2% of the top 250 publishers in Apple’s store are “newcomers,” according to Distimo. The bulk of the app makers are factories like Electronic Arts which can spit out dozens and have huge marketing budgets."

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
Another article on apps people should read: The Surprising Numbers Behind Apps - Digits - WSJ

Notable quotes:

"12% of developers make $100,000 or more"

"But the dirty secret is that most apps aren’t big hits. In fact, only 2% of the top 250 publishers in Apple’s store are “newcomers,” according to Distimo. The bulk of the app makers are factories like Electronic Arts which can spit out dozens and have huge marketing budgets."

Still, 12% is still much. Personally know guy who makes half of that. In country where value of dollar is 3x.

Oh, and notice that: 34% makes LESS than 15k from app development. So the middle 54% makes between 15k and 100k. I'm in :)

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Still, 12% is still much. Personally know guy who makes half of that. In country where value of dollar is 3x.

Oh, and notice that: 34% makes LESS than 15k from app development. So the middle 54% makes between 15k and 100k. I'm in :)

Put in other words, you have a 54% chance of making less than 6 figures a year working full time. After seeing the same post as yours 12 other times only for the poster to fail, you tend to spot a pattern, but I'm sure your different. Good luck to ya, see you on the other side

:thumbsup:

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
Put in other words, you have a 54% chance of making less than 6 figures a year working full time. After seeing the same post as yours 12 other times only for the poster to fail, you tend to spot a pattern, but I'm sure your different. Good luck to ya, see you on the other side

:thumbsup:

No pun intended, right? ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.