The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Any SEO Advice? I'm here to help you

Ruben5

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jul 27, 2011
Dallas
Should I hire someone to Help with Backlinks?

Hi I recently posted a job on odesk.com for someone to help me with my backlinks so my web page can rank on top 10 of Google.

Plenty of people have applied and said they offer around 1,000 to 1,500 backlinks for 20 to 30 bucks and the website will be a page rank of 1 to 7. Which is a good deal.

Some said they would do it manually and some admitted they use a program... And it will take them about a day to complete the backlinks...

Question is is this too good to be true? And does Google penalize for placing backlinks too soon? Should I hire someone or should I do this myself because I know how to do the proper backlinks its just take a while.. And if any body knows somebody who does proper backlinks thats on odesk.com let me know...

Thanks,
Ruben jr

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Eduard Chilcos

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 3, 2011
Transylvania
What are the other skills that you had to learn before being able to run a SEO business? In other words, what should I learn besides SEO?

Can you recommend some resources which helped you?

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
How important is content for an e-commerce site? Should all e-commerce sites have a blog featuring content that is relevant to the target market?

Aside from content, how can an e-commerce site develop back-links?

How important is social media to SEO? Is one social media service (Facebook, Google +, Twitter), more important than the others? Is just having a page important, or is having followers, content, etc?

What are the price ranges like for professional SEO work? Are many services out there are worth the $$?

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
Hi I recently posted a job on odesk.com for someone to help me with my backlinks so my web page can rank on top 10 of Google.

Plenty of people have applied and said they offer around 1,000 to 1,500 backlinks for 20 to 30 bucks and the website will be a page rank of 1 to 7. Which is a good deal.

Some said they would do it manually and some admitted they use a program... And it will take them about a day to complete the backlinks...

Question is is this too good to be true? And does Google penalize for placing backlinks too soon? Should I hire someone or should I do this myself because I know how to do the proper backlinks its just take a while.. And if any body knows somebody who does proper backlinks thats on odesk.com let me know...

Thanks,
Ruben jr

Be careful on oDesk. I'm on there too, I also do SEO and have been ripped off 1 too many times. I do the work and then they don't pay.

The Google "sandbox" is IMHO a myth. Some people will tell you that if you build links too quickly that you'll be penelized, that's simply not true. If you build links quickly, you just have to maintain that level (to an exstent).

Organic backlinks come by ebb and flow, so should any SEO strategy you decide to employ. In order to get a website from a)not even being indexed b) beyond the 100th page of results pages, will take some time and work. I have an SEO company and have ranked sites worldwide. My companies main strategy is like nothing I've seen out there, we combine many SEO strategies to comprise our own.

I've been closely watching the interaction with Social Media and SERP's. I belive that Google is going to start weighing very heavily on Social Media when it comes to search results. (Have you seen the new Google+ commercial on TV?)

Anyway, the first thing (if you haven't already) is be sure you have effective keywords and that your on-page SEO is as good as it can be so your page is 'search friendly'.

That being done, you'll need to decide what kind of time frame you budget can hold to determine the proper off-page SEO strategy to get the results you're looking for.

Link building, is the crux of off-page but, there are many subtlies that need to be taken into account as well.

I do all of this for every client of mine. I first do an extensive keyword research to ensure traffic will be there, then I analyze their on-page SEO and make suggestions, then create a strategy based on the clients needs/budget.

You can check us out at: Get website traffic

I hope this cleared up some questions....

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
How important is content for an e-commerce site? Should all e-commerce sites have a blog featuring content that is relevant to the target market?

How important is social media to SEO? Is one social media service (Facebook, Google +, Twitter), more important than the others? Is just having a page important, or is having followers, content, etc?

What are the price ranges like for professional SEO work? Are many services out there are worth the $$?

I answered some of your questions in my last post but....

ANY website can generate backlinks by way of an off-page SEO company that specializes in that field.

I am finding social media to be of increasing importance.

I'd say (right now anyway) this would be the order of importance, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ Page.... Content, content, content! You have to engage your followers/subscribers/etc... the "social interaction" is what will garner you a ton of traffic, backlinks and potential customers...

I've found that price ranges are all over the place, however, you get what you pay for. If you're buying links on Fiverr or oDesk or Elance for 1,000 links for $5 then, you can almost bet they will be nofollow, not pinged, not indexed or removed in a week, which makes them worthless.

I would be willing to offer discounted services to fastlane members if people are interested. I currently have a members area for another forum I'm on for Information Marketers, I'd be willing to open that up to Fastlaners as well.

You can check out my website/services here: Get website traffic

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Very important. Yes you should have a blog. It's a main way to keep fresh content on your store domain without adding products.

It can get backlinks the same way as any other webpage. You can have a sale, create good content, embed a video or do anything that would be link worthy. For example, if you did a black friday sale and marked something down from $150 to $75, you could post a link to the sale in a forum of your industry or others probably will have done that for you.

You could do a youtube video of the product and link to the product from youtube. Then you SEO your youtube video.

tdt85

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 21, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
Just ran across this the other day would like to get your thoughts:

http://www.clickbank.com/blog/2011/02/15/moneywords-your-key-to-the-keyword-kingdom-part-2

it isn't the most detailed post... I'd probably want to see how much each keyword "costs" as a measure of commercial intent, but I think it is a useful starting point?

Do you use a system like this for choosing which keywords to target?

This matrix is incorrect/incomplete for 2 reasons:

1. When people type a keyword in Google, they do not type it in quotation marks. Therefore, you are not really competing with the sites that rank for exact keyword searches. You have to be able to analyze the top 10 websites that rank for broad keyword searches, not exact. Google algorithms are "smarter" now and take into account much more than exact keyword phrases.

2. The number of competing sites isn't as important as the top 10 sites that compete for your chosen keyword. You could use this matrix as a preliminary research, but then more research will be required.

Here's a good source of information --> The Challenge

tdt85

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 21, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
Hi thanks for you reply,

Tougher keywords require tougher measures.

Hi guido65,

could you go over the "tougher measures"? I'm already at a level where I need to compete with the big guys and I'd appreciate a few tips on how to get a lot of links. Any services you can recommend?

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
What type of linkbuilding do you do, as in, what's your strategy and what type of links do you find the most effective? What's the toughest keyword you've ranked for?

Various strategies depending on client, keyword, etc. Mostly tiered and linkwheel. Using web 2.0, blog, forum, article, rss, pinging, indexing, wiki, whois, trackbacks, etc, etc, etc, both manual and automated. I've ranked for many various difficult keywords. I tell every client that it's a process not a sprint. Building links and gaining rank take time and I can only lead the horse to water, I can't make him drink. Meaning, I can move the site in rank but, I can't promise conversion. That depends on the site's build quality. I do, however, do extensive on-page seo analysis for every client with detailed recommendations for on-page changes that should be made but, it's up to the client to make the changes or decide not to.

As far as the types of links that are the most effective, that'd be all of them. I've found that link diversity is key. More recently I've found that including the corresponding social media sites also plays a role. I'm sure everyone has started noticing google+ pages and YouTube videos outranking regular websites and from everything I'm reading and trying, linkbuilding to the social media sites is proving very effective.

Like the old saying goes "slow and steady wins the race". I normally tell clients to buy the package of link building that they can sustain, that will determine how long it takes to rank. Once they have the rankings they want and/or traffic they were looking for, they can step down to more of a maintenance link building strategy but, you never stop building links.

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA

TheBear

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 27, 2012
Memphis, TN, USA
Here are the best link building strategies I have found so far:

THE Backlinking Strategy That Works

Niche Dog - part 1

Niche Dog - part 2

Niche Dog - part 3

Thanks for those links. I'd seen Patt Flynn's stuff before, but never Niche Dog. I'm curious though about Niche Dog saying it's necessary to use a proxy when you are signing up for accounts at article directories and web 2.0 properties. Is that really necessary? Can I not have the same IP address and sign up for multiple accounts?

If it is necessary, does anyone have a noob guide to how to setup and use a proxy or VPN?

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
Thanks for those links. I'd seen Patt Flynn's stuff before, but never Niche Dog. I'm curious though about Niche Dog saying it's necessary to use a proxy when you are signing up for accounts at article directories and web 2.0 properties. Is that really necessary? Can I not have the same IP address and sign up for multiple accounts?

If it is necessary, does anyone have a noob guide to how to setup and use a proxy or VPN?

You will only be able to create 1-2 accounts on each 2.0 or articles directory per your IP. YOu should get a dynamic IP Changer (VPN) that changes every few minutes. I use this for wiki poster, some 2.0 bots. For articles directories used with AMR, you do not need any IP changing.

Depending on how much posting you are doing, I would get 10 proxies at least. You also need tons of emails which each ip you can sign up for 2 email accounts per day

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Here are the best link building strategies I have found so far:

Niche Dog - part 1

Niche Dog - part 2

Niche Dog - part 3

Very interesting stuff, I will definitely be looking over this stuff over the next few weeks. When I first visited the site I thought this guy was getting rich off of his SEO but he is only doing about 2k a month in profits which isn't bad but its not very scalable, I think the REAL money comes from his website, should be making a lot off of the traffic hes getting on it. i think I am going to tinker around with this, I am focusing on the keyword "Highlands Ranch" for my directory site and I am pretty sure I can get it to Page 1 by early June at the latest! Thanks for the links!!!!!

TheBear

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 27, 2012
Memphis, TN, USA
You will only be able to create 1-2 accounts on each 2.0 or articles directory per your IP. YOu should get a dynamic IP Changer (VPN) that changes every few minutes. I use this for wiki poster, some 2.0 bots. For articles directories used with AMR, you do not need any IP changing.

Depending on how much posting you are doing, I would get 10 proxies at least. You also need tons of emails which each ip you can sign up for 2 email accounts per day

Thanks for the reply Seo Man Dan.

What I meant to ask, and I should have been more clear, is where do I learn what a VPN is and how do I use it. I'm not familiar with them. Where can I research how to set one up and how it works?

Would it be a problem to just use one squidoo account, one ezinearticles account, one hubpages account and create multiple lenses/articles/hubs for each site or keyword? Do I need a VPN for that?

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
Thanks for the reply Seo Man Dan.

What I meant to ask, and I should have been more clear, is where do I learn what a VPN is and how do I use it. I'm not familiar with them. Where can I research how to set one up and how it works?

Would it be a problem to just use one squidoo account, one ezinearticles account, one hubpages account and create multiple lenses/articles/hubs for each site or keyword? Do I need a VPN for that?

A VPN is a virtual private network which is used for what you are thinking about using it for but you wouldn't need one if you are only creating one account on all of those sites. If you were creating 100s or 1,000s then you would want one. You can usually sign up for an account on each one of those sites with 2 accounts per day. So you should be fine.

If for some reason if it is not allowing you to sign up for an account, I recommend using HMA (hide my a$$) which is very easy to use and should have instructions on the site

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I've been reading a lot on these "linkwheels". Does Google somehow know when you sign up or post to different web 2.0 accounts that it is the same person who owns the "niche site" that you are trying to direct traffic to?

I am considering trying out the strategy in this post:

But it seems like a lot of work if I am just going to get penalized for it. It might be better to spend the energy (or money) in a more direct fashion.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

teamfive

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2012
Philippines
Hi there!
My boss wants me to get backlinks on real website without using forum profiles..
How could I possibly do this and what websites could I go to..?
Thanks..

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
That is a start however when your doing manual link building and competing with people like me who are using automated software which can produce the same results just 10,000 times faster, your going to have a hard time competing.

This is a HUGE myth that google knows your IP or knows when you sign up for accounts. No, google does not know this however it does matter the sites you get your links from as you want to have diversity and not getting the same link from the same 5 sites.

You will not get penalized. The amount of links that you are creating won't even draw any attention from google. I build 100,000 links in a day for testing purposes and nothing happens. So you should be fine

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
These f*ckers call me too ... total scam that targets the uneducated business owner.

Money mania

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jun 11, 2012
Guido 65 and others, if you could please PM me contact information that would be great. We are in need of building up SEO on our sites and have not been impressed to this point with the folks we currently have.

thanks MM

guido65

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 26, 2011
Hi,

Just to let people know, I haven't been active in the forum for a long time. I am out of the SEO game (although still doing for own company) however if you really do want some advice send me a PM and I will try to answer.

Cheers

Money mania

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jun 11, 2012
Thanks for the input Guido65. If you could PM me anyone you may suggest that would be great.

JoeV

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Feb 20, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
This thread started out with good advice, but the past few pages are full of bad advice and misinformation.

Tactics such as linkwheels and tier link building are horrible. Anything automated is garbage. There is such a thing as the sandbox and penalties. This has been confirmed by Google and seen by experienced SEO's, including myself.

These lazy attempts at SEO are very popular with the affiliate marketing crowd. This is the same crowd who is crying right now about loosing their rankings to manual penalties for "unnatural links" which were handed out a few months ago or algorithmic penalties from Google's Panda and Penguin updates. Their most popular solution for this issue? Trash the site and start with a new site. Obviously, not an option if your business relies on one main site.

You can play this game of trying to stay one step ahead of Google and pray that you don't loose a main source of revenue when Google does catch up to you. The other option is to generate real popularity to your site and build a real business. Real marketing, interesting content, a real social following, and good manual link building will generate revenue on its own AND get strong, long lasting rankings in Google.

I just don't understand the desire to keep spamming the internet with garbage. Google is trying to stop this. Why use these tactics? They will just keep rolling out updates to combat this stuff.

If you are using these tactics and you are doing well, good for you. But, I recommend that you start to treat your business like a business instead of a hobby. Stop being lazy and learn real marketing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.