The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Any SEO Advice? I'm here to help you

Mschiavon

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 23, 2011
Hi, I own a humble blogsite where I would love to see more visitors. I'm currently working on a freelance site and they have an awesome affiliation program that I would like to promote. You think that there is any chance for me?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Irish

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 10, 2010
Ireland
Hi there,

pardon my ignorance but I'm pretty new to SEO and learning the ropes.

When you are talking about adding your site to social bookmarking sites is this simply a case of signing up to digg for example and digging my own website? What is the reasoning behind this? Wouldn't this just get lost in a sea of diggs? Am i missing something here?

I'm also a bit unsure on the area of links. From what I've been reading about SEO, links are important because they make your website look important. If say, I write an intelligent comment on a high ranking blog in my niche or write an article for a website in my niche and leave a link in the signature, it should get my site traffic. Is this correct? I should also email the backlinks of other sites in my niche to ask them to link to my site and link to them? Does these mean simply putting a page on my site with links or do I have to write an article and mention them or something? What is the norm here?

Lastly how important is facebook and twitter. I personally have never "got" twitter. I find it very hard to say something worthwhile in such a small space and from using it for personal use I found it very..well, boring. There is an awful lot of stuff being said without anybody really saying anything at all. I see facebook as pretty much the same. I also find it difficult to promote my business without it looking like everyone elses spam. Have you any tips for keeping your status updates fresh, interesting and regular? Tough question I know :rofl:.

guido65

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 26, 2011
Hi all,

Apologies been extremely busy lately working with clients, I'm back now to answer you questions.

Hi there,

pardon my ignorance but I'm pretty new to SEO and learning the ropes.

When you are talking about adding your site to social bookmarking sites is this simply a case of signing up to digg for example and digging my own website? What is the reasoning behind this? Wouldn't this just get lost in a sea of diggs? Am i missing something here?

I'm also a bit unsure on the area of links. From what I've been reading about SEO, links are important because they make your website look important. If say, I write an intelligent comment on a high ranking blog in my niche or write an article for a website in my niche and leave a link in the signature, it should get my site traffic. Is this correct? I should also email the backlinks of other sites in my niche to ask them to link to my site and link to them? Does these mean simply putting a page on my site with links or do I have to write an article and mention them or something? What is the norm here?

Lastly how important is facebook and twitter. I personally have never "got" twitter. I find it very hard to say something worthwhile in such a small space and from using it for personal use I found it very..well, boring. There is an awful lot of stuff being said without anybody really saying anything at all. I see facebook as pretty much the same. I also find it difficult to promote my business without it looking like everyone elses spam. Have you any tips for keeping your status updates fresh, interesting and regular? Tough question I know :rofl:.

Social bookmarking helps websites/pages get indexed very quickly, also I have done extensive testing and personally found social bookmarking to give webpages a ranking boost. By all means sign up to them yourself for your own personal use however for SEO i'd probably outsource it as you want to have 100's of bookmarks from all different bookmarking sites for ranking boost. Its a real pain to sign up for 100 accounts. Many people offer social bookmarking services and many products such as SENUKE or Bookmarking Demon.

Yes links are very important. In fact the most important thing for SEO. Really you want to think of links in 2 areas, links for traffic/brand building and links for ranking boost. Ideally you want a combination of both. Writing a blog comment on a related website will get some nice traffic and help with your link diversity. Writing a blog comment on a pr6 page , that is totally unrelated to your niche and leaving the correct anchor text in the comment will give you more of a ranking boost, although likely very little traffic. There are so many ways to generate links here are a few examples.

. Directory Submisissons
. Press Releases
. Articles Submissions.
. Social bookmarking.
. Blog Comments.
. RSS Directories.
. Web 2.0 Properties.
. Video sharing sites.

The list goes on and on.

More and more research suggest Google are taking account of social signals for rankings (although a lot more testing needs to be done) therefore it practically mandatory to allow people to share your content around the web. You can use many programs to automatically update your Twitter and Facebook pages with interesting relevant content.

Hope that helps

guido65

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 26, 2011
Hi Guido,

How good is the SBI system in terms of SEO? I have zero programming experience and am thinking of using SBI for my website since they take care of all the technical/ marketing challenges and let you focus on your site.

Thanks

I know many people use it but I have not had experience myself, its very easy to learn Wordpress which is very SEO friendly and has lots of great plugins for SEO/Internet Marketing. Simple method is to choose keywords, optimise a page for those keywords build links to that page and watch your site rise. Get traffic, work on conversion, rinse and repeat.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Hey guido65.
How important is pr link for seo?
Can 1000 pr1 links beat 20 pr5 links?

Like this eg:
1000 pr0 links > 10 pr1 links?

60 pr 3 links > 5 pr 7 links?

200 pr 4 links> 50 pr 7 links?

If I put my effort and had 200 pr 4 links for my website then would that beat someone who has 50 pr 7 links?

Or another example, if I put 60 pr3 links for my website then would that be better then if another person had 50 pr7 links for his website?

guido65

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 26, 2011
Hey guido65.

Like this eg:

If I put my effort and had 200 pr 4 links for my website then would that beat someone who has 50 pr 7 links?

Or another example, if I put 60 pr3 links for my website then would that be better then if another person had 50 pr7 links for his website?

PR is very important for link building. In short you need a mixture of both, but the reality is a couple of high pr links far outweigh thousands of 0 pr links.

So when building links you definitely want to get links on actual pages with a PR of 3+ but also it is good to get links from domains with high PR even though the page might be a PR O.

To explain you could easily get a link on an inner from Technorati which is a PR 8 domain but the link would actually be on a PR 0 page.

But also you could get a link on an inner page of blog which might be a PR 4 or something like that.

Experience tells me that you will still get good link juice from a link on a high PR domain even though the page might be a PR0. However for maximum SEO boosting try and get high PR page links as well.

Toiletcake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 4, 2007
Quick update, Guy has been working on the site. There is a little movement but its too early for his efforts to really take hold. Its only been 3.5 weeks. I will keep posting and updating.

April 14th- May 6th-

Keyword #5 Position 10 9

Keyword #6 Position 4 4

Keyword #7 Position 10 4

Keyword #8 Position 2 4

Keyword #9 Position 19 17

Keyword #10 Position 13 15

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Hey guido65.

Like this eg:

I think this chart might be useful to you Bozigian.

How many backlinks required to get certain PageRank? | INSIDE HACKS

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Incase you guys didnt click on the link:
Do not know the accuracy though
PageRank-Links%20Table.jpg

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
Hi,

If you run a wordpress website then an excellent tool is SEOPressor Wordpress Plugin or another good tool is SEO Quake for Firefox, gives you a very quick look at the onpage SEO.

One of the best tips I can give you is, you want to make your page seem as relevant as possible to the search engines. Remember the search engines job is to give the user the most relevant result.

Now you might ask, how do I know what Google thinks is relevant for my keyword? Well Google actually tells us!

What you need to do is pick your target keyword and then type in your keyword into Google. Make a note of the "searches related to ....." at the bottom of the page. Then include them on the page.

After that click on "more search tools" then "Google wonder wheel" and again Google will show the EXACT keyword that are related to the keyword you are trying to optimise for. So make sure you include them.

That way you will have a webpage that Google deems to be highly relevant for your target keyword.

Hope that helps

I have a question to this: I'm running online language school and the keyword is 'english online' (in Polish of course since I'm in Poland). Using Google wonder wheel I can see the there are not many keywords that I can use such as: "english online for kids" (we don't do this), "english translator" (we're not), "english online for free" (well, You get the idea). So I used only those: english online, english on-line (yes, version with dash), english through internet. Have I done it correctly?

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Incase you guys didnt click on the link:
Do not know the accuracy though

I think the chart is off too because our website has over 15k dofollow backlinks from PR1 and PR2 sites in related industries, and several PR3 - PR6 links from unrelated industries (and directories) and the site still has a page rank of N/A.

But maybe they mean that each link needs to come from a separate IP and the PR has to be of that page, rather than of the site's home page PR. That may be why we are still PR N/A, plus the site is only about 6 months old; not sure how long it takes for the big G to calculate your pagerank.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
I think the chart is off too because our website has over 15k dofollow backlinks from PR1 and PR2 sites in related industries, and several PR3 - PR6 links from unrelated industries (and directories) and the site still has a page rank of N/A.

But maybe they mean that each link needs to come from a separate IP and the PR has to be of that page, rather than of the site's home page PR. That may be why we are still PR N/A, plus the site is only about 6 months old; not sure how long it takes for the big G to calculate your pagerank.

Kwerner,

It is definitely the page the link comes from that matters in regard to your PR, not the site's homepage. As far as your PR N/A goes, that's only because Google hasn't updated your Page Rank yet, which they only do a couple times a year. If you do have all those backlinks then I would guess you will shoot up to at least PR2 when they do update it.

I heard it might be coming this month, but it's really hard to guess these days because they're doing it so much less often.

guido65

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 26, 2011
As mentioned before, you need a mixture of both get link from actual page of PR 3+ but also get links on pages with a PR0 BUT from domains with high pr eg PR8 +.

Of course I am not privy to the Google algo but my opinion is that it would look strange and unnatural to Google if all your links were from high PR pages so you need links from PR0 pages as well.

When link building the aim is to imitate what a natural linking profile looks, of course Google knows you are building your own links but you still want to strive for a natural pattern. Also always try and build a site that encourages natural links. Combined with your own link building this is powerful.

If you want to know what natural looks like take a page a Wikipedia and have a look at its backlinks.Its pretty much guaranteed that those links were attracted naturally so you can get a feel of what a natural profile looks like.

guido65

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 26, 2011
I have a question to this: I'm running online language school and the keyword is 'english online' (in Polish of course since I'm in Poland). Using Google wonder wheel I can see the there are not many keywords that I can use such as: "english online for kids" (we don't do this), "english translator" (we're not), "english online for free" (well, You get the idea). So I used only those: english online, english on-line (yes, version with dash), english through internet. Have I done it correctly?

Also don't forget to always look at "searches related" to keyword, Google displays these at the bottom of the page. In your instance I get this

learn english online
english online test
teach english online
english online movies
english games online
irish english online translator
russian english online dictionary
watch johnny english online

I would create articles optimised for these keywords on your site and link back to you homepage using your main anchor text "english online" within the article. Use Wikipedia as an examples of excellent internal linking.

Also create a series of Web 2.0 properties each optimised for one of those keywords and link back to your homepage and bookmark the Web 2.0 properties and you'll get some nice link juice and SERP movement. Also if you'll find the Web 2.0 properties will rank themselves.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
Also don't forget to always look at "searches related" to keyword, Google displays these at the bottom of the page. In your instance I get this

learn english online
english online test
teach english online
english online movies
english games online
irish english online translator
russian english online dictionary
watch johnny english online

I would create articles optimised for these keywords on your site and link back to you homepage using your main anchor text "english online" within the article. Use Wikipedia as an examples of excellent internal linking.

Also create a series of Web 2.0 properties each optimised for one of those keywords and link back to your homepage and bookmark the Web 2.0 properties and you'll get some nice link juice and SERP movement. Also if you'll find the Web 2.0 properties will rank themselves.

So I should create articles optimised for these keywords. Even those like "russian english online dictionary"? And then I should put them on my website (am I understanding it correctly)?

What's Web 2.0 properties and SERP movement? I'm not so good at SEO...

guido65

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 26, 2011
So I should create articles optimised for these keywords. Even those like "russian english online dictionary"? And then I should put them on my website (am I understanding it correctly)?

What's Web 2.0 properties and SERP movement? I'm not so good at SEO...

Well you need to use a bit of your own judgement but yes make unique quality articles out of those keywords that google thinks are related to your main keyword, all about building up relevancy.

Web 2.0 Properties are just platforms that allow you to put your own content on, there are 100's of them

PR9

WordPress.com — Get a Free Blog Here

PR8

http://blogger.com
LiveJournal: Discover global communities of friends who share your unique passions and interests.
http://vox.com

PR7

Blogsome
Bravenet - Web Hosting, Free Web Hosting and Web Tools ( Jigsy - the easy website builder. )
Edublogs - education blogs for teachers, students and institutions
Friendster - Home
Knol - a unit of knowledge: share what you know, publish your expertise.
Welcome to Windows Live (MSN Spaces http://msnspaces.com )
Squidoo : Welcome to Squidoo
Weebly - Create a free website and a free blog
Webs - Make a free website, get free hosting

PR6

blog.co.uk - Create your free blog here
DiaryLand members area
Gather | Gather
HubPages (Profile points must be 75 for do-follow links)
tBlog: Free Blog Templates! Blog Hosting!

PR5

20six.co.uk - your free blog
Indian Youth Networking | Social Networking | Friendship Site | Shopping - BIGADDA.com
blog.ca - Create your free blog here
Blog | Submit Your Blog | Blogs | Blogging | Blog Submission
Blogstream - Free Blogging for Everyone! Create, Publish and Promote Blogs
Free Blog Articles - Learn more about blogging
Blurty - free online journals and communities for adults.
clearblogs.com
http://www.easyjournal.com
Free-Conversant News
Freeflux.net - Free CMS & Blog Hosting with Flux CMS
Open Diary
Create a blog, free blog. Create a free blog thanks to Sosblog.com
tabulas.com: free journal hosting and photo sharing
Terapad - Make a Website
Create a Blog Site - FREE Blogs - Thoughts.com
Upsaid : Web Journaling Service
Jigsy - the easy website builder.

PR4

BlogEasy - Free Web Hosting For Your Free Blog. Free Blog Hosting.
blogHi! start your blog - FREE
http://bloghorn.com
Blogigo - Get your free Weblog Blog in 5 minutes
Blogono.com Blogs
blogr (.com, .at, .de)
Blog Studio - fast. free. simple. reliable.
blogtext.org free blog
http://bloxster.net
Free Blog It
InsaneJournal
JournalFen
http://journalhub.com
Blog Submission Directory - My New Blog
Netcipia - The first free online participative suite
tBlog: Free Blog Templates! Blog Hosting!
http://thediary.org
WikyBlog - Home

So you could set up

teachengineonline.wordpress.com
learnenglishonline.blogger.com etc

Create some really good content and then make sure you link back to your domain. Then basically you can build lots of links to these properties which in turn will send link juice to your website and also you'll find that they rank themselves

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Best tool to use that accurately tells you the real time ranking for your keywords? Example- I want to find out where I rank on 10 different sites for 50 different keywords per site, is there a tool that can do this and be accurate? I've seen some but they are usually off by quite a bit.

guido65

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 26, 2011
Best tool to use that accurately tells you the real time ranking for your keywords? Example- I want to find out where I rank on 10 different sites for 50 different keywords per site, is there a tool that can do this and be accurate? I've seen some but they are usually off by quite a bit.

As per a previous post SEO Software | Search Engine Ranking | Advanced Web Ranking is the best tool I have come across, see post to learn how to get it for free

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Is it better to use web 2.0 properties as opposed to getting keyword domains and posting articles on them?

I have a 12 year old domain (money site) that ranks really well in 3 keywords. I want to rank better for about 10 more, I have a dozen articles for each keyword, and on the money site I have created a page for each keyword, that only links back to one or two pages of my money site. I also have keyword domains all registered over the last 2-3 years but never developed. I was thinking I would develop the sites with wordpress and put the articles on each pointing either at the home page of the money site and/or the keyword page. My keyword domains would be setup at a variety of hosts all over the globe so that won't be an issue (different IP blocks). Then I saw your post on the web 2.0 properties. So should I go my planned route with the keyword domains, or switch gears to the web 2.0 properties? (I have plenty of other aged sites that get crawled regularly so I can put in a link on those to get the spiders to the new keyword sites, so I am not worried about getting indexed).

The next question is should I place all my articles into Wordpress in one shot, so the sites will go live with 10-12 articles each, should I put out one article, wait until the site gets indexed then trickle the other articles one at time every 2-3 days or every 2-3 weeks?

guido65

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 26, 2011
Is it better to use web 2.0 properties as opposed to getting keyword domains and posting articles on them?

I have a 12 year old domain (money site) that ranks really well in 3 keywords. I want to rank better for about 10 more, I have a dozen articles for each keyword, and on the money site I have created a page for each keyword, that only links back to one or two pages of my money site. I also have keyword domains all registered over the last 2-3 years but never developed. I was thinking I would develop the sites with wordpress and put the articles on each pointing either at the home page of the money site and/or the keyword page. My keyword domains would be setup at a variety of hosts all over the globe so that won't be an issue (different IP blocks). Then I saw your post on the web 2.0 properties. So should I go my planned route with the keyword domains, or switch gears to the web 2.0 properties? (I have plenty of other aged sites that get crawled regularly so I can put in a link on those to get the spiders to the new keyword sites, so I am not worried about getting indexed).

The next question is should I place all my articles into Wordpress in one shot, so the sites will go live with 10-12 articles each, should I put out one article, wait until the site gets indexed then trickle the other articles one at time every 2-3 days or every 2-3 weeks?

The value in Web 2.0 properties is the fact they already have established Page Rank and Trust Rank, so by posting content on there and linking back to your website you are essentially riding off the link juice they have already established, which is the reasons most people believe it is effective for increasing rankings.

Yes by all means use your own keyword rich domains but be careful to cover your tracks also do the domains have any page rank? If not there is a little value in getting links from them. My advice would be to do both.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Hey guido.

On the warrior forum, people have told me that when I write articles, that I should put the articles in my site first and then let them get indexed and then distribute the same article to article directories.

Does this increase your rankings? Or does it make any difference not having the article on your website but having them on a number of article directories?

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
So Web 2.0 properties would be best made on Wordpress.com - okay. I red whole topic once again and have another questions:

1. For each keyword I set up a domain with that keyword?
2. For every property I have to make articles by myself or copy from elsewhere (well, it's not easy to say something about russian english online dictionary ;) )?
3. I should have on each property more than one article, right?
4. Are the properties linking to themselves too?
5. After what time I can measure results?
6. How long it should take to make network of Web 2.0 properties that all of them are linking to main site around which the network is built?

The Intrepid

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Apr 9, 2011
Free advice is often worth what it costs...

If you post an article on your site and another website w/ more authority which one do you think is going to be thrown into the supplemental index and which will rank higher?

Yours will rank lower than the web 2.0 property, doing it the way you mentioned will dilute the rankings.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Also, FYIW... I spend all of my time on PPC and my campaigns net me between 60-140% ROI for the money I spend.

IMO SEO is something you should worry about after your PPC campaigns have been scaled as far as they can go. Reason being, SEO is not a reliable traffic source when acting on its own.

guido65

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 26, 2011
Hey guido.

On the warrior forum, people have told me that when I write articles, that I should put the articles in my site first and then let them get indexed and then distribute the same article to article directories.

Does this increase your rankings? Or does it make any difference not having the article on your website but having them on a number of article directories?

You should always post your best content on your own website, you always want to build up the authority of your own site. I wouldn't then take the content and put on an article, I would get more unique content for the article sites and submit to directories for backlinks and some traffic.

Always get quality content for your own site and build that asset up

guido65

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 26, 2011
So Web 2.0 properties would be best made on Wordpress.com - okay. I red whole topic once again and have another questions:

1. For each keyword I set up a domain with that keyword?
2. For every property I have to make articles by myself or copy from elsewhere (well, it's not easy to say something about russian english online dictionary ;) )?
3. I should have on each property more than one article, right?
4. Are the properties linking to themselves too?
5. After what time I can measure results?
6. How long it should take to make network of Web 2.0 properties that all of them are linking to main site around which the network is built?

Basically, create completely unique content for each Web 2.0 property. Content of around 300 - 500 words is fine. Simple include a link within the content back to your main site (with the correct anchor text).

Personally I never link the properties together although many people do.

Bookmark the properties and even if you want heavily link to them.

You will find the Web 2.0 properties will rank and as mentioned you are leeching off the authority they have created and get good link juice and ranking improvement.

Finally, don't rely on Web 2.0 just on their own! Its just 1 method of link building but it definitely does help.

Try press releases, directories, contextual links, etc

guido65

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 26, 2011
Free advice is often worth what it costs...

If you post an article on your site and another website w/ more authority which one do you think is going to be thrown into the supplemental index and which will rank higher?

Yours will rank lower than the web 2.0 property, doing it the way you mentioned will dilute the rankings.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Also, FYIW... I spend all of my time on PPC and my campaigns net me between 60-140% ROI for the money I spend.

IMO SEO is something you should worry about after your PPC campaigns have been scaled as far as they can go. Reason being, SEO is not a reliable traffic source when acting on its own.

Agree, never copy content, put unique content on your website so it gets credit for it and then use unique content for Web 2.0. The web 2.0 will rank themselves, I have a client who has their website on page 1 for a target keyword, plus 5 Web 2.0 properties all linking back to their site, which they get nice traffic from.

Not much experience with PPC but I know some people who swear by it.

SEO can be extremely reliable and an excellent source of traffic, if you know what you are doing you can make big money off SEO.

However, you are at the mercy of Google with SEO and things change very quickly. With PPC always a risk as well accounts get banned etc

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.