The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My uncle was the under 20 wealthiest man in the world (according to Forbes)'s right hand man

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Is it possible to make use of this connection?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Ask give to give you a job in the company.

How would I even apply? If I write directly to him, I doubt I'll get a response.
If I 'apply' in a traditional sense, I'll just he another rookie :p

Nick M.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 13, 2018
How would I even apply? If I write directly to him, I doubt I'll get a response.

What's stopping you from even trying to write to him? If you don't, you can't get a response.

Also, if he's your uncle, perhaps you could use your other family connections to get to him.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
"Using" a "connection"?

You sound more worried about what he can do for you. Why should he do anything with that kind of attitude?

If you sent him an email about what you can do for him, you're a lot more likely to get a reply.

So reverse the question. Is there anything about you that he can use?

If not, follow Sebastaya's advice. Actually, follow it regardless.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

RyanLPainter

Founder and Principal - Tuzo Strategies
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
Write him, you might be surprised. As the old saying goes "No risk, no reward." Also, as a species we long for connection and support, not just for ourselves, but for others.

Have you also considered that even if he doesn't have a place for you, he might know another connection?

You gotta try my friend.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Is it possible to make use of this connection?

what skills or abilities or interests do you have to lend to the cause? Are you just interested in his money… Because that is not available for you. You have to add value to earn money. The siren call of his riches have literally nothing to do with you. What do you have to contribute? I know one of the richest men in America and his family. However, unless I have something to offer them there’s no sense in trying to milk that connection. Life is about what you give, not what you take.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
Want me to reach out to him?

Hi ___________,

I'm a friend of your nephew/niece, fastlanedoll. Just wanted to say I'm a huge fan of your work with ___________. Also, fastlanedoll told me that you were a fan of ___________ so when I saw this, I thought of you.

(attached gift/meme/something relevant that will brighten his day)

Kind Regards,

Devampre (I really wish I picked a different username :rofl:)

My actual advice though is to reach out, but be friendly and don't ask for anything. Especially at the beginning. You need to build a relationship with him and you need to give him value first.

>inb4 "But, why give someone who can afford anything something when I can barely afford a X?"

People like to be thought of, loved, cared about, etc. And how trustworthy will you sound if you just ask for things?

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
What can I offer him.. Yes, I struggle with this since he already has pretty much everything at his fingertips, lol.

Perhaps I worded the original question badly.

I'm not trying to 'take' anything from him.
More likely trying to earn an apprenticeship. But why should he give me even that?

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
What can I offer him.. Yes, I struggle with this since he already has pretty much everything at his fingertips, lol.

Perhaps I worded the original question badly.

More likely trying to earn an apprenticeship. But why should he give me even that?

Well that's a different story...

Now hang on. Aren't you the same poster who said she could kinda retire in a few years from your medical career? (Retire. But not fastlane life, right?)

By doing so, don't you show the world that you can be trusted to accomplish what you set your mind out to do?

And at a young age, if I recall correctly?

And by doing so, you'd have some income, so you could angle for a job at below market rate. (Not saying you should. Just saying this is an option.) You could offer this because you are out for the education.

And he could potentially trust in you because you showed yourself capable in your previous career.

So now the first email writes itself.

Dear Uncle,

I am writing to ask your advice about my career. I am planning my next steps and I admire your career path, so I'm hoping you can help me get pointed in the right direction.

See I plan on retiring from medicine in a few years at the age of 3X. I'd like to transition to X.

In your opinion, what is the best way for me to do so?

Sincerely,

FLD

This is intended to just start the conversation, see... You aren't asking for too much. But you are putting yourself on his radar.

Don't ask for the job, you gotta finish what you started. But he might need someone with a medical background, and if so, an email like this let's him know the skills you bring to the table. And whatever you are looking to transition to can also let him know where your interests lie.

Hope that helps.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Guys.. this extremely wealthy man isn't my uncle.

My uncle is his RIGHT HAND MAN. Lol. Which was why I said I doubt he'd reply. He has no clue who I am.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

My uncle is his RIGHT HAND MAN. Lol. Which was why I said I doubt he'd reply. He has no clue who I am.

Riiiight. That is why I said to write to your Uncle, not to his boss...

I figured your uncle must be pretty wealthy if he's that guy's right hand. And he's probably absorbed 85% of that guy's wisdom by now, and he'll have some of his own wisdom to share.

And if he's that guy's right hand, then he's the one who gets things done anyways.

What do you need a connection to the boss for? Aren't we back to just "using" the uber rich guy? Because there is no connection there. Let it go.

So now I've typed a lot of words just to go back to the best advice in the thread...

Realize there are no handouts and create a legacy of your own :eyes:

Good luck, I'm out.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

Ask your uncle directly?

Eminem need to know Dr Dre before he had his breakthrough from trailer park artist to a rap superstar.

FreakyThomas

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 26, 2017
Nice, France
You're thinking in reverse. Provide help and value.
If you're looking for apprenticeship, it's almost the same than asking for money. You're asking for something (time, lessons, advice...).

Start offering instead of asking. It works the same everywhere and with everyone, rich or not...

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think you're overthinking it. This guy is your parent's brother.

Figure out what you want that wouldn't be too presumptuous (Can I have $1 million dollars for nothing in return is a NO. Can I get some advice, how would I do X, can you review my business plan etc is a YES.), and then ask for it. Definitely incorporate the rest of the feedback here, but just go ask.

People appreciate and like to work with other people that are bold and work hard

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I bet you would get a response. Just email him like "Hey my uncle was ______, and he told me a lot about you. Just wanted to shoot you an email and say hello" and if there's a natural rapport there roll with it. I actually think the chance of him responding is very very high.

Imagine if you were in his position and you got an email like that. Would you ignore it? People in high positions aren't as dismissive as people think think.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkTf0LmDqKI

Figure out what you want that wouldn't be too presumptuous (Can I have $1 million dollars for nothing in return is a NO. Can I get some advice, how would I do X, can you review my business plan etc is a YES.), and then ask for it.
This. He's not gonna ignore you unless you ask something completely absurd.

LightningHelix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 26, 2015
"Using" a "connection"?

You sound more worried about what he can do for you. Why should he do anything with that kind of attitude?

If you sent him an email about what you can do for him, you're a lot more likely to get a reply.

So reverse the question. Is there anything about you that he can use?

If not, follow Sebastaya's advice. Actually, follow it regardless.

This a thousand times.

If this is a guy you idolize, wouldn't it be cool to give value to someone like that?

Offer him value and learn from him.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Just email him like "Hey my uncle was ______, and he told me a lot about you. Just wanted to shoot you an email and say hello"

Terrible advice from an otherwise awesome advice giver. The uncle's not dead. The uncle probably has the office right next to the big guy.

Imagine if you were in his position and you got an email like that.

Yeah, let's imagine that.

Imagine your best employee's niece emails you out of the blue and says my uncle was so-and-so.

The first thing you're probably going to do is go and have a good laugh with your top employee.

As entrepreneurs, we get sniffed around for people who "need" money fairly regularly. We know what hello emails like this mean. Even from our own families. Imagine how you react to when it's your employees family.

And the first thing you're going to think about this person is they're out for themselves, and they don't respect their family.

If she has anything to offer of value to the head honcho, she needs to do it through her uncle, not circumvent him.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Because he is your father or mother's brother. I would give any of my nephew and nieces a chance no matter how long I hadn't seen them in.

Just call him up and say you'd like some advice on entrepreneurship, then go from there.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
The title of this thread in a lesson on clarity. Many are not getting that OP's uncle is not the "under 20 wealthiest man". Rather, the uncle has direct access to the wealthy man.

Where is the lack of clarity cost you? Where are you making your audience work more than necessary?

---
To answer the thread, call your uncle and talk to him - if you are in good term. Have a conversation with him.

Or

Research how you can help the wealthy man. Reach out.

Or

Search what he is doing. Offer your time for free - if you can afford it

Or

Look for his hobbies. Look for what he likes. Engage there
Do something. Failure is not trying.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Terrible advice from an otherwise awesome advice giver. The uncle's not dead. The uncle probably has the office right next to the big guy.
Ah... I didn't read the whole thread and the title said "was his right hand man," which made me think he was somehow out of the picture. If her uncle is still around then the answer is much easier, in that she can just speak to her uncle.

But I wouldn't look down on just emailing someone and opening the lines of communication. For me it's lead to countless amazing collaborations. I've emailed dozens of high profile people and I've never gotten a negative response, and there have been numbers of times where it's lead to amazing collaborations. I wrote a thread about that here.

Another example is, a little while back we were all big fans of the show Undercover Billionaire where Billionaire Glenn Sterns built a million dollar company from scratch. Forum member @Kak just shot Glenn Sterns an email saying "hey we're all big fans of the show. A bunch of guys from our Entrepreneurship forum were going to go do dinner at your restaurant and we would love if you joined us." Not only did he join us, he brought the entire crew from the show along with him.

But yea, of course if you're trying to be manipulative or looking for a handout they're going to respond negatively, but I know @fastlanedoll well enough to know that she understands that a relationship needs to be mutually beneficial.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego

Your uncle has no clue who you are?

If that IS the case, write both of them. Email management staff in the company. Call in. TAKE ACTION.

Say you want an internship, and you're willing to do whatever it takes to get in there. Offer to work for free.

But first, ask yourself WHY you want it. What if it turns out to be terrible? Would you still be okay with that outcome?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.