The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My new website - advise on marketing medium to use

Marketing, social media, advertising

Shirkahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Oct 6, 2018
Connecticut
Hi Guys,

I just launched my new website selling car hoods with racing livery on as wall art and some apparel as well. I would like to get your opinion on how to market it better with out of the box effective approach:

www.pistonheadshop.com

My plan is to market it very target orientated in specialized car (Porsche) forums and promote in actively (pay) and passively within discussions. Also looking at utilising ad words and paid social media advertising. I

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Peal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 4, 2020
Western U.S.
Shirkahn - I love the concept, and I really like your site. Congratulations on reaching this phase.

Your design and UX look great. A few suggestions:
  • It would help to have a descriptive paragraph in your footer that includes key phrases like "car fan home decor" or "car hoods for your wall".
  • I also recommend updating your meta descriptions to include keywords. Here is a good video on that topic:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9rnQpvl3N8
My hunch is, paid social will work better than AdWords. I could be wrong, but it seems like a novel concept, something people aren't necessarily seeking out via search. If you do go the Adwords route, make sure you choose display. When you show it to people who have relevant interests (what FB is renowned for) I think it will turn some heads. That said, you should try both, I would just allocate a little more to paid social in the beginning.

I would look into retargeting also called remarketing. Because these are at a relatively high price point, I think you'll see a lot of people mulling on the idea. They may come to your site and browse around, maybe even add to cart but then not buy anything. Remarketing ads target people who have come to your site and not converted into a sale.

When someone buys a piece, instead of just sending a receipt you could give them a link to watch the race on the Youtube. Whatever you can do to remind them of the story behind each piece after they buy it.

One important question to ask buyers is, where do you plan on displaying it? Your garage? Your living room? Do you own a bar? That will give insight into use cases and can inform who you target later on.

Just a few ideas. Good luck!

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
I don't get the upmarket 'Porsche' feeling when I go onto your site to be honest. I know your question wasn't about the design aspect but I thought I would give you my thoughts anyway. I think it needs a darker, more elegant theme and maybe a more simplistic logo. Again, just my opinion. You should also put some quote marks on the quotes at the bottom of the home page.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Hi Guys,

I just launched my new website selling car hoods with racing livery on as wall art and some apparel as well. I would like to get your opinion on how to market it better with out of the box effective approach:

www.pistonheadshop.com

My plan is to market it very target orientated in specialized car (Porsche) forums and promote in actively (pay) and passively within discussions. Also looking at utilising ad words and paid social media advertising. I

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Great concept and product!
My two pointers would be the website looks cheap. The overall feel and look of the website doesn't inspire trust for me to buy a $2000 product.

Secondly, i would take much more high quality photos of the actual product (not photoshops) so that people can get an in depth look at them from every angle, the size of the product, how they would hang this item up etc.

A potential customer will have many objections before purchasing a product like this, you need to do your best to get rid of those with as much quality, information, social proof etc as possible.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
My two pointers would be the website looks cheap. The overall feel and look of the website doesn't inspire trust for me to buy a $2000 product.

Secondly, i would take much more high quality photos of the actual product (not photoshops) so that people can get an in depth look at them from every angle, the size of the product, how they would hang this item up etc.

A potential customer will have many objections before purchasing a product like this, you need to do your best to get rid of those with as much quality, information, social proof etc as possible.

Great response here.

The idea is great but the trust isn't there on the site yet to get a 2k sale.
- What do these really look like? (it look very photoshop style right now)
- Where do they come from? (are they real? where are they sourced? how are they made?)
- how do they ship/arrive?
- how do they hang?
- where are the other happy customers?
- what refund/satisfaction policy do I have?

There are a LOT of unanswered questions here.

Here is a good site for the type of photos you would want:

Shirkahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Oct 6, 2018
Connecticut
Shirkahn - I love the concept, and I really like your site. Congratulations on reaching this phase.

thank you Peal, appreciate the input and ideas - ideas i can activly put to the test and implement.
I will test the social paid vs adwords comparison and see what the feedback is - great note on the visual, words say little to nothing to entice.

will give you some feedback in a few weeks, thanks again.

Shirkahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Oct 6, 2018
Connecticut
My two pointers would be the website

Cheap website - LOL i was going for a clean simply look with focus on the product - but interesting point.
Your second point is very valid and I will have to update that and add those features. Very good point.

Shirkahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Oct 6, 2018
Connecticut
Great response here.

The idea is great but the trust isn't there on the site yet to get a 2k sale.
- What do these really look like? (it look very photoshop style right now)
- Where do they come from? (are they real? where are they sourced? how are they made?)
- how do they ship/arrive?
- how do they hang?
- where are the other happy customers?
- what refund/satisfaction policy do I have?

There are a LOT of unanswered questions here.

Here is a good site for the type of photos you would want:
Good summary and added points, thank you. Some of the points I do elaborate on in the product description and on check out but i see your point. I was thinking based on your point and others that i will do a detailed product page on what it looks like and how its made to try and answer all the right questions a buyer might have.
Awesome.

Mixlikes

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 12, 2019
USA
You can use Google AdWords, and advertise on other social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. You can make images and videos related to your services and share it with social media. You can do content marketing by posting quality content on high pr article sites.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Cheap website - LOL i was going for a clean simply look with focus on the product - but interesting point.
Your second point is very valid and I will have to update that and add those features. Very good point.
I think what he means with "cheap" is that it was made with Shopify and not customized. Shopify is mostly used by dropshippers that's why it doesn't inspire trust. But I guess a normal person wouldn't even notice.
Plus to that, as others have said, taking real pictures of the hoods would make a huge difference.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.