The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

my new invention, the portable strap on plate holder ( prototype)

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
What about the Pet Rock!??! That's even crazier then the Snuggie !

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Yes the sham wow, snuggie and pet rock sold. That does not mean every crazy concept will. Keep in mind these items were used in the privacy of your home. Using a tray while you drive is ridiculous. People already drive like idiots trying to text, do we really want both hands off the wheel eating. OK, we have all had fun kicking this idea around but lets really break it down.
Couch potato – They are already at home and most likely have a tray or table in front of their couch, no market there
Party – Will people really stand feet away from each other and yell to have a conversation with each other while having trays dangle from the neck or other body parts – I doubt it
Walk while working – also a bit ridiculous, will your boss let you walk slow enough to balance your food, eat it, not bump into other people and do your work – sounds like a liability to me.
Gag gift – Maybe the only place I can see where this item could sell. Question is will people buy this item to pull out once in a while and say “ get a look at me, I have a tray for my food “
Even as I am typing this I just had an ah-ha moment. Wow I really like this idea that just popped into my head……………….wait for it……………………
Sport stadiums………..maybe it can be marketed for them. We all go to ball games and never have enough hands to hold our beer and hotdogs. It just needs to be lean enough to not bump into crowds. Ok, 20% commission for this idea.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
uh oh, 20% to bflbob, 20% to rocksolid, you better close this thread quick while you still own a piece of it.

that will be 20% for that advice, so now you only own 40%

rocksolid and bflbob- I think we need to have a meeting about the direction of our company and start exercising our 60% ownership.

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
dam I guess you guys are the majority owners of my company now. Can I have my own office at least with a nice view? I want a nice secretary too and 401K plan so I can get rich.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
dam I guess you guys are the majority owners of my company now. Can I have my own office at least with a nice view? I want a nice secretary too and 401K plan so I can get rich.

we will discuss your demands at your annual review, but don't get your hopes up.

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
Seriously, is this what you have to do on this forum to get a lot of responses LOL. Dang and all this time I thought all you had to do was post a good idea or some info that was useful or ask an intelligent question - dang I feel like such a dork :smx4:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
uh oh, 20% to bflbob, 20% to rocksolid, you better close this thread quick while you still own a piece of it.

that will be 20% for that advice, so now you only own 40%

rocksolid and bflbob- I think we need to have a meeting about the direction of our company and start exercising our 60% ownership.

Yeah, and I forgot to mention my 230% commission for even reading this thread.

Looks like you have a product that won't be financially feasible (yuck, yuck).

Rock Solid- -- I don't know your background-- have you developed products before? Any successful intros?

If not-- then your advice is worth . . um . . . about the same that I charge folks on these forums. :smxB:

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Seriously, is this what you have to do on this forum to get a lot of responses LOL. Dang and all this time I thought all you had to do was post a good idea or some info that was useful or ask an intelligent question - dang I feel like such a dork :smx4:

That's OK, domular-- we're happy to feed your dorkiness. :notworthy:

We're a bunch of entrepreneurs-- we deal in IDEAS.

We love batting stuff like this around.

Sure, it may not make it to the big time-- but it's a great exercise in thinking about how to build a product.

-Russ H.

D

DeletedUser2

rework it so it can be used by a mother with a couple kids.

a nice solid holder for various things your trying to get the kids to eat, that can be strapped to the side (either) and moved, but still holds the Juice, for 1 the cereal for the other, the toy for the third.... priceless.

I can see a infomercial now....
the "grabby" holds every thing your toddlers want NOW
hehehe.

Excalibur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 6, 2010
Nampa, ID
When I opened this thread, I saw the picture first and thought it was a product for waiters/waitresses.

Could that work? I know when I go out to eat, the waiter brings a huge tray of food and balances that while one handedly setting up a stand to set the tray on. And we know trays get dropped.

Would be similar to a stadium hawker.

Hawker%20Fountain%20and%20Multi.JPG

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Yeah, and I forgot to mention my 230% commission for even reading this thread.

Looks like you have a product that won't be financially feasible (yuck, yuck).

Rock Solid- -- I don't know your background-- have you developed products before? Any successful intros?

If not-- then your advice is worth . . um . . . about the same that I charge folks on these forums. :smxB:

-Russ H.

Yes Russ, I gave an intro when I first got here back in 2009 but just to remind people, I have 15 yrs sales exp and I also have experiance getting a product from concept to the market. I have been selling my " Safe to handle" since April and we are in 8 stores and on Sears website. I have also hired a salesperson and have a few other things going with it. I think everybodies input is valuable.

rich2me

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jun 15, 2011
I actually like this idea and would have wanted something like this when my kids were smaller to help me multitask and eat. I would of course do a patent and trademark search to check for similarity if any. Make it marketable for a specific audience. I am an avid watcher of Shark Tank and saw this invention, Broccoli Wad...As long as there is an audience with a need, whether it is serious or a good laugh (gag gift), it can work. I can see this being used at tailgate parties...Bravo to you for coming up with a concept and now it is time to execute it! :hurray:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Yes Russ, I gave an intro when I first got here back in 2009 but just to remind people, I have 15 yrs sales exp and I also have experiance getting a product from concept to the market. I have been selling my " Safe to handle" since April and we are in 8 stores and on Sears website. I have also hired a salesperson and have a few other things going with it. I think everybodies input is valuable.

Thanks, RockSolid, I did not remember-- and much appreciate your restating it (I searched for your intro, but did not have any luck-- hence the post).

I was struck by the overwhelming negative nature of your post-- the "it'll never work" aspect of it. If you've had experience designing a product and bringing things to market, this feedback is invaluable.

But if it was based on your "gut instinct" as a couch potato (as are many posts on these forums-- ie, input/feedback from fellow entrepreneurs that do not have direct experience), then the advice is considerably less valuable. Worth considering, yes-- but not anywhere near as telling as someone who has gone through the process and knows the pitfalls.

Make sense?

Thanks again for restating your experience-- you may want to consider doing this within the posts when relevant, as not everyone here will have read your prior posts (or, like me, remember posts from a few years ago!). :banana:

-Russ H.

PS BTW, is this your product?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPA11097S4102604701P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I especially love the "Mutli" Hawker.

No one checks spelling anymore.

Oh, I dunno. He looks kinda mut-ly to me. :smxB:

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
rework it so it can be used by a mother with a couple kids.

a nice solid holder for various things your trying to get the kids to eat, that can be strapped to the side (either) and moved, but still holds the Juice, for 1 the cereal for the other, the toy for the third.... priceless.

That is an awesome idea. Every parent who has fed a flailing 19 month old has wanted an extra set of hands-- or one of these.

Nothing like the original tray photo-- more a small something that fits around your neck, or something else-- just to hold some food while you're wiping up the mess and dealing w/thrown objects. :)

-Russ H.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Thanks, RockSolid, I did not remember-- and much appreciate your restating it (I searched for your intro, but did not have any luck-- hence the post).

I was struck by the overwhelming negative nature of your post-- the "it'll never work" aspect of it. If you've had experience designing a product and bringing things to market, this feedback is invaluable.

But if it was based on your "gut instinct" as a couch potato (as are many posts on these forums-- ie, input/feedback from fellow entrepreneurs that do not have direct experience), then the advice is considerably less valuable. Worth considering, yes-- but not anywhere near as telling as someone who has gone through the process and knows the pitfalls.

That's my product Russ. I did not even realize I had a review already. I did not mean to sound like this product will fail, I was just pointing out what I though might be some of the things the inventor might need to overcome. It's something we all do here to help. I did tell him to build a proto type and try selling it anyway, Just because I don't think it will sell as is does not mean anything. Gotta go look for my old intro, wonder where it went.
Make sense?

Thanks again for restating your experience-- you may want to consider doing this within the posts when relevant, as not everyone here will have read your prior posts (or, like me, remember posts from a few years ago!). :banana:

-Russ H.

PS BTW, is this your product?

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

That's my product Russ. I did not even realize I had a review already. I did not mean to sound like this product will fail, I was just pointing out what I though might be some of the things the inventor might need to overcome. It's something we all do here to help. I did tell him to build a proto type and try selling it anyway, Just because I don't think it will sell as is does not mean anything. Gotta go look for my old intro, wonder where it went.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.