The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

my new invention, the portable strap on plate holder ( prototype)

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
I scraped the animation company idea because it would take me years to get good enough at animation to manage a team of animators.

This is a prototype I made at home. It's a plate holder that straps to the front of your chest from your back so you can walk and eat or sit and eat. I'm going to make a better one and sell it on ebay to see how much demand there is for it and see if someone else has made it and then make it.

heres the ebay listing if you want to track the progress

Portable strap on plate holder! | eBay

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 708

jrws

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 9, 2011
Doonside, NSW Australia
interesting.. But what is the point? Wouldn't it be easier to simply sit down and eat to enjoy your meal? (not nitpicking, simply thinking if I were to buy this product...)

Dutchy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 20, 2011
London
I get it....it´s tricky to balance a plate in front of the TV! Not bad, but think I´ve seen it before in London!

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
It lets you walk around and accomplish tasks while you eat for people on the go and in a party setting ( I'll make it look more attractive) it's more appropriate to walk around and mingle sometimes than sit in a corner eating alone. Also if you're watching tv your plate might fall if it's on your knees and if it's on my device then it's closer to your mouth too and directly underneath you so you don't need a napkin on your legs. Plus the hot plate wont burn your legs.

My biggest concerns are making it attractive, comfortable to wear, and competition ( I haven't seen any). I just realized I could put legs under the tray that open up and rest on your legs so if you are sitting and it's a heavier meal it wont strain your back. I also want to put cup and utensil holders and probably a lid to keep the food warm.

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
Look I can see some uses for it, particularly in elderly homes which might be a better target, with some padded shoulders, but when you say things like " its more appropriate to walk around and mingle sometimes "... I wouldn't walk around with a trough attached to me? "hey baby, how about you and me slip away and.. excuse me a second <stuffs face>".

When attaching legs and stands.. just do search for "stable table" and related?

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Yeah, I think this is going to be a tough sell. Have you actually put a plate with food and a drink on it and walked around? I bet you have to move pretty slow. Also might be tough getting your arms around those straps to cut you food, like a steak. And at a dinner party are you going to stand 4-6 feet away from the other person wearing one of these while you talk? Not for nothing but walking and eating has already been invented it's called a sandwich. I don't think you will see much activity on ebay because people need to be looking for your item to find it. I don't mean to sound harsh.....this is what this board is all about. Build a proto type and shop it around, Who would you sell this too? Retail stores, specialty shops? To get into big stores like Target you need Insurance, UPC symbols and a slew of other requirments. Find out first what it will take to get into the stores you want to sell this item to and see if you can get it done. It's a mistake I made and right now I am only getting my product into mom and pop shops( doing ok, but not as good as I want)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Needs compartments or a way for things to not slide around.

A cup hole would be nice. Adjustible, or just include a cup.

We need to think of a catchy name . . .

Something like the Snuggie . . .

Traych? (and in couch tray?)

Couchie? (pronounced like couch, not like you're tickling a baby)

StayTray or TrayStay (like it stays on you)

Trayer?

OK, I'm done. There are others on here who are much better wordsmiths when it comes to naming something. :banana:

-Russ H.

D

DeletedUser394

So you got rid of your original plan, because it potentially involved a lot of hard work and dedication, and instead you decided to put two straps around a tray and sell it on ebay?

Everyone pointed out its many flaws. You're attempting to fix a problem that no one knows they have in the first place. (When I'm eating on the go, I wait until I can't sit somewhere, or I just use my hands while walking.. no biggie.)

Having said that, people have bought things like pet rocks in the past... but even so, I don't see the use/allure as a novelty item with your tray thing.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
So you got rid of your original plan, because it potentially involved a lot of hard work and dedication, and instead you decided to put two straps around a tray and sell it on ebay?

Everyone pointed out its many flaws. You're attempting to fix a problem that no one knows they have in the first place. (When I'm eating on the go, I wait until I can't sit somewhere, or I just use my hands while walking.. no biggie.)

Having said that, people have bought things like pet rocks in the past... but even so, I don't see the use/allure as a novelty item with your tray thing.

Ryan-

I have just one word for you:

Snuggie.

Seriously. Ten years ago, had you told me a blanket w/sleeves would be a fad seller, I'da laughed my arse off.

OK, 2 more words:

Sham Wow.

See?

How many people have paid crazy amounts of money for a coupla pieces of yellow cloth?

Both of these products have sold millions. Both are geared towards couch potatoes who watch TV.

This product automatically has that market- because if you're sitting there w/cheese stains on your shirt from those microwave nachos, having the "clean tray" or whatever they call this product would be a "gee, I gotta have that" thing.

On sale now, for only 3 easy payments of $19.95. Includes shipping and handling. Also includes at least 4 other mostly useless but really cool and cheap extras, to get you to CALL NOW!!!! :banana:

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Tray Chic

Port-a-party

Over the Shoulder Boulder Holder
(I'm just picturing Dolly Parton using this at a social event.)

You have a gift, Bobbo.

I love "Tray Chic"-- but I wonder if the couch potater crowd will think it too hoity-toity.

Porta-party is cool, tho. Has kind of a college/animal house thing going for it.

Imagine the scene below w/photoshopped trays and beers/chips on them . . .

[video=youtube;18eaNSxhK5c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18eaNSxhK5c[/video]

-Russ H.

D

DeletedUser394

Ryan-

I have just one word for you:

Snuggie.

Seriously. Ten years ago, had you told me a blanket w/sleeves would be a fad seller, I'da laughed my arse off.

OK, 2 more words:

Sham Wow.

See?

How many people have paid crazy amounts of money for a coupla pieces of yellow cloth?

Both of these products have sold millions. Both are geared towards couch potatoes who watch TV.

This product automatically has that market- because if you're sitting there w/cheese stains on your shirt from those microwave nachos, having the "clean tray" or whatever they call this product would be a "gee, I gotta have that" thing.

On sale now, for only 3 easy payments of $19.95. Includes shipping and handling. Also includes at least 4 other mostly useless but really cool and cheap extras, to get you to CALL NOW!!!! :banana:

-Russ H.

The snuggie is just a copy of the slanket, which was introduced a few years before. The Shamwow is just a sponge/towel. Both have uses.

I fail to see why someone would strap a tray to their chest... especially at a social gathering/party or anywhere in public. Seriously, let's not kid around here.

OP, prove me wrong. Sell 10,000 of them, and I'll personally buy 100.

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
well there exists portable computer straps see

Google Image Result for http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/geekdad/images/2008/06/23/connectadesk.jpg

Ya just like the snuggie example I think people are lazy and it's convenient. Besides my ebay listing got 50 views so far so maybe people are curious. I'm still researching the market to see how viable it is.

Also it's completely fastlane. How is it not? No one else is doing this, I can reach millions online, automate the selling process, supply a need, etc etc

how is this any less useless than the womans invention who made a lock that locks your keys to the top of your purse so you don't lose them in your purse. She made millions from a tiny little metal lock.

I'm worried though because most people seem to not like it so far on the forum and my family thinks it's a stupid idea

SIlver911r

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 29, 2011
Hawaii, Oahu
My wife has big boobs, this would definitely not work in its current form. It would look like the tray was just holding her boobs up, no room for food. If the hot chicks at the party with big boobs aren't using it, then you probably shouldn't either.

Like you pointed out the computer one, maybe you could make an iPad version or something. Or make the tray for some sort of industrial situation where your hands are occupied but you need a bunch of stuff in front of you.

Bottom line, if you get no hits on ebay, you need to revise it.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
At first i laughed at the idea but now it is pure gold lol
Port-a-party
I like it! You can walk around with bottles of liquor a sell/give away shots. Might be able to hit the club / G-club market and have their staff walking around with these

My wife has big boobs, this would definitely not work in its current form. It would look like the tray was just holding her boobs up, no room for food.
Now I like it even more! Girls can walk around with a tray that holds up their boobs and you take shots off of it!

SIlver911r

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 29, 2011
Hawaii, Oahu
My point was she would never wear the tray though. Could you imagine walking into a club or bar where the cocktail waitresses wore one of these? They would never get through the crowd without spilling all the drinks on their boobs. (I know, I know, lick it off the tray/boobs)

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
My point was she would never wear the tray though. Could you imagine walking into a club or bar where the cocktail waitresses wore one of these? They would never get through the crowd without spilling all the drinks on their boobs. (I know, I know, lick it off the tray/boobs)

I was having fun with the idea. I don't see it working in the states or really anywhere for that matter to make it worth the OP's time but you never really know. In Thailand the service staff walks around with a bottle of Tequila on a tray in a lot of the bars. This design would probably make it more complicated to carry it around though. I think a side holster for the bottle and a shot glass ammo vest would be a better way to serve and you can easily navigate a crowd.

Maybe the OP can design and sell that? I don't see the benefits of the original food idea.

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
There are a number of places already marketing a very similar product as a shoulder serving tray / walkabout serving tray etc. They're used semi-regularly in bars, cafes etc for staff to use to carry larger orders out to tables where it would be difficult or dangerous to carry on a smaller hand tray. So don't for one moment think it's a brand new product - but instead, think about how you can re-market it to a different group of people, or improve upon it.

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
I'm pretty sure I've seen waitresses use something similar to serve free shots at a party.

But for food? Nah people don't like standing out too much. Never seen someone using the laptop thing.

D

DeletedUser394

I shared the link on facebook to see people's reactions. Most people commented that they think it's hilarious (in a bad way), and not one person (out of a dozen or so) said they would buy it, and/or think anyone else would buy it.

But good luck.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
There are a number of places already marketing a very similar product as a shoulder serving tray / walkabout serving tray etc. They're used semi-regularly in bars, cafes etc for staff to use to carry larger orders out to tables where it would be difficult or dangerous to carry on a smaller hand tray. So don't for one moment think it's a brand new product - but instead, think about how you can re-market it to a different group of people, or improve upon it.

EXACTLY my point to Ryan.

The big sellers to couch potatoes have been existing products that were just re-marketed w/different names and more appropriate uses.

Porta-party is brilliant. Think of different uses for the tray, and "slide in there" that when you're not partying, it makes a handy table for TV watching w/food. Use it in your car-- your boat-- blah, blah blah!

Everybody wants one!

(you get the idea)

-Russ

PS There could be a special version for well endowed gals. That way, any woman who thought she needed a special tray would order the special one. AND-- you could always point out the advantages/disadvantages of the standard tray for women who were well endowed-- some would get it specifically *because* it would highlight their assets (and this would come across brilliantly again, in photos and video).

Ladies-- I apologize if my use of terms (well endowed, assets) are inappropriate. Please let me know how, as a woman, *you* would word this, to be respectful towards women-- but encouraging of the fun or usefulness of this tray.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Here's an idea for it that might catch on...

Forget the straps -- make it entirely out of metal or plastics.

Have the tray do a 90 degree turn (or so), and head up toward your neck.

Then have it fit around the neck and over the shoulders (sort of like a chest guard).

Now paint the area over your chest with things like:

• Cleavage
  • Suit and Tie
  • Chest hair
  • Superman outfit
  • The upper part of a head with big eyes
  • A trash container top
  • Shark teeth

Now you have a tray with a built in bib and a fashion statement / ice breaker.

(I get 20% for this, just so you know.)

Tigerwhite1

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 16, 2010
Missouri
I think its great for couch potatoes. A few things I would think you should include in the design tho, (if you haven't already thought of these).

Ditch the straps, they are too much of an eyesore, and in the way. Have the tray supported similar to percussion marching harnesses. (google them for more pictures). Obviously they would have to be designed differently, but I think it would be more beneficial for the tray to be supported with an "L" shaped bracket resting against the front of your body. It would eliminate the need for those horrible straps that go around the tray. Just be sure to make it where it is comfortable to sit in, for large and small people.

Also, the "L" bracket should be able to fold up to your chest, to make it compact for storage purposes.

Lastly, I love bflbob's idea of the painted designs. That would really attract peoples attention, especially the "cleavage" one. Like MJ says, in marketing/advertising, sex sells. Some people will buy them just for the silliness of them, showing off to their friends they have a tray with boobs on it. (which will also encourage the friends to purchase one).

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
Bflbob, I think your idea reminds me of those things they put on a horses mouth ...like a food bag so the horse can walk and eat. How can you eat something that close to your face. And the superman bib? My idea is already so ridiculous as it is I think people would buy it with the superman bib just for the fact that how ridiculous it is.

Ya I just have to make it so that its not in front of boobs, the straps aren't in the way, and its physically more appealing. How about if the tray splits in half in the middle and each half slides to each side of your body ( left and right) so its not in the way or rotates all the way behind you so when you arent eating its not in the way...

btw I read somewhere that 85 percent of the market is women consumers so I have to make it more women friendly. On the flip side fatties would love it because it would hide their weight at a party. The porta party sounds fun if i can make it more of a party idea and add more bells and wistles to it. I think I've seen this product somewhere so I agree it's probably out there and needs improvement.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
I scraped the animation company idea because it would take me years to get good enough at animation to manage a team of animators.

This is a prototype I made at home. It's a plate holder that straps to the front of your chest from your back so you can walk and eat or sit and eat. I'm going to make a better one and sell it on ebay to see how much demand there is for it and see if someone else has made it and then make it.

heres the ebay listing if you want to track the progress

Portable strap on plate holder! | eBay

This is an interesting concept and I am certainly loving all the ideas that have been said (especially Bob's LOL). But on a serious note, how do you expect to research the demand, when you are charging $20 for a tray with 2 straps? I can't think of any reason why I would spend 20 dollars when I can get the same materials in my kitchen. Just a thought.

Good luck :smxB:

SIlver911r

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 29, 2011
Hawaii, Oahu
Remember it's not about ideas, you can have the shittiest idea in the world and it will still work with execution and marketing (at least I think that's what I read in FastLane).

A TV commercial with Tiger Woods golfing while still having his tray of food in front of him would be priceless. You could sell it to everyone.

Ever watch nascar? I bet those drivers want a tray of food in front of them while they race.

In Hawaii tourists rent segway's and drive them around all the time, only thing missing is a tray of food hanging from their chest.

Sonic hangs trays from your window, whats wrong with hanging one from your neck. Even have a model with a tray in the front for you, and a tray in the back for someone else, you would be THE life of the party. "Thanks for the nacho," says fellow party go'er behind you as they grab your a$$.

And lastly, market the crap out of it to kids. If they grow up eating off their shrek chest tray or "Porta Party", you know they will keep using it when they grow up.

Just a thought. Tons of ideas, just use your Queen and this chess game is on!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
This is an interesting concept and I am certainly loving all the ideas that have been said (especially Bob's LOL).

I can't think of any reason why I would spend 20 dollars when I can get the same materials in my kitchen. Just a thought.

Think of all the people who bought Sham Wows-- why not just buy some thick rayon at a fabric store, or online?

And don't get me started on the Snuggie . . .

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.