The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My "life hacking" time saver!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
OK. I thought I'd start to get things moving in this new "Life Hacking" forum.

Here's my contribution...

You'd think a multimillionaire would be dining on expensive china or some dinnerware from Neiman Marcus? Not a chance...

http://www.mjdemarco.com/2010/09/why-do-dishes/

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It all depends on class.

If you think "class" is defined by how someone chooses to eat in the privacy of their own home, then I'd say you have your own set of issues.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
We do that as well. My wife and I would rather do other things than wash dishes. Our house is to small for a dishwasher, so why spend 1-2 hours each week wasting our time. :nopity: to all the tree huggers.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
It all depends on class. If you want to live out your days as a millionaire eating off of paper plates, go for it.

Wow, interesting philosophy. Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today!

Class has nothing to do with frugality of time and money. Class and sophistication have nothing to do with money. It's not an amount or an account you can show off.

I know some rich people who are complete morons, clods if you will! Can make a million dollars but can't tell you the difference between a fine piece of art and a doodle, or dancing and seizing, or music and loud noises, or the difference between polite and rude, a glass of wine or a glass of sheeps butt, or possibly the difference between making unnecessary and possibly inappropriate comments or not... yes my friend, class is not defined by what you eat on. And those of you who are working on sophistication, wipe your mouth when you eat! Nothing more of a turn off than watching you slober mayo all over your cheek. =)

Wimtbimtb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Dec 14, 2008
South East Michigan
Wow, interesting philosophy. Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today!

Class has nothing to do with frugality of time and money. Class and sophistication have nothing to do with money. It's not an amount or an account you can show off.

I know some rich people who are complete morons, clods if you will! Can make a million dollars but can't tell you the difference between a fine piece of art and a doodle, or dancing and seizing, or music and loud noises, or the difference between polite and rude, a glass of wine or a glass of sheeps butt, or possibly the difference between making unnecessary and possibly inappropriate comments or not... yes my friend, class is not defined by what you eat on. And those of you who are working on sophistication, wipe your mouth when you eat! Nothing more of a turn off than watching you slober mayo all over your cheek. =)

Steve you could not have said it better. :hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I couldn't agree more. When my wife moved in, she brought with her about $10,000 worth of fine china, and dinnerware that she had collected over the years. I guess in her family, a woman feels like whoever dies with the most dishes WINS! ROFL....

This is all well and good, except for the fact that I have twin 7 year olds, and there is absolutely no reason why we need to own any plate that can't easily be replaced at Wal-Mart for the next, oh.... 11 years!!! haha... We've already broken a few, and it's been a huge pain in the a$$ -- having to hunt and hunt online to find the right pattern, and then pay $50-75 per dish to replace them.

So when she isn't looking, I still do sneak out the paper plates as often as possible ;) Saved time, saves effort, and keeps the kids from smashing stuff that is $50+ a pop!

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
If you think "class" is defined by how someone chooses to eat in the privacy of their own home, then I'd say you have your own set of issues.

I agree.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
It all depends on class. If you want to live out your days as a millionaire eating off of paper plates, go for it.

You're 17, marktech, so I'll cut you some slack.

I didn't even REALIZE how screwed up I was about "class" and what I was supposed to do and not do, until I was in my 30s.

So you've got a little time-- unless you want to break out of the rut that everyone else is in, keeping up w/the Joneses.

Do you have to own a new-ish car? Live in a nice neighborhood? Have lots of nice clothes? A good-looking gf or bf?

Do you have to spend money to feel like you have class?

Think about that.

A few years ago, I pulled up in my old Ford Mustang convertible (it was 10 years old at that time) to sign papers with a bank loan officer in a parking lot.

Kinda tacky.

I didn't want to drive all the way to his bank. So we were meeting half way-- half way between his bank and my house.

He rolled up in w/a new BMW. 7 series. Very nice.

I'm sure he owed a ton on it, and had bought it new.

That day, in my wrinkled shorts and Mickey Mouse T-shirt, I signed some loan docs for over a million dollars.

Did it leaning over, signing the docs on his trunk.

Yep, that's right: The well dressed bank guy in his new Beemer was giving me-- the schlubby looking guy in the T shirt and shorts w/the old car-- over a million dollars.

Why?

Because my wife and I had a proven track record. We'd already bought a property a few years earlier, and increased its value by more than $1.5 million.

So this bank wanted to see us do it again.

And they were lending us a lot of money to do just that.

So, here's my question for you:

Who had the class?

Me-- the guy in the Mickey T shirt and the old (but paid for) Mustang?

Or the guy who was wearing the great clothes and driving the $100,000 car?

perhaps a better question:

. . . is class what's most important here, or is there something else?

-Russ H.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
You're 17, marktech, so I'll cut you some slack.

I didn't even REALIZE how screwed up I was about "class" and what I was supposed to do and not do, until I was in my 30s.

So you've got a little time-- unless you want to break out of the rut that everyone else is in, keeping up w/the Joneses.

Do you have to own a new-ish car? Live in a nice neighborhood? Have lots of nice clothes? A good-looking gf or bf?

Do you have to spend money to feel like you have class?

Think about that.

A few years ago, I pulled up in my old Ford Mustang convertible (it was 10 years old at that time) to sign papers with a bank loan officer in a parking lot.

Kinda tacky.

I didn't want to drive all the way to his bank. So we were meeting half way-- half way between his bank and my house.

He rolled up in w/a new BMW. 7 series. Very nice.

I'm sure he owed a ton on it, and had bought it new.

That day, in my wrinkled shorts and Mickey Mouse T-shirt, I signed some loan docs for over a million dollars.

Did it leaning over, signing the docs on his trunk.

Yep, that's right: The well dressed bank guy in his new Beemer was giving me-- the schlubby looking guy in the T shirt and shorts w/the old car-- over a million dollars.

Why?

Because my wife and I had a proven track record. We'd already bought a property a few years earlier, and increased its value by more than $1.5 million.

So this bank wanted to see us do it again.

And they were lending us a lot of money to do just that.

So, here's my question for you:

Who had the class?

perhaps a better question:

-Russ H.

I think most successful entrepreneurs are naturally frugal. They don't like spending a ton of money on things that they don't really need. We tend to value money more for the security that it brings us; knowing that we don't have to work for someone else ever again; that we have the freedom to take time off whenever we want and not have to answer to anybody else about it. You can't put a price on that freedom. Those working 9-5 are slaves to the companies they work for; they're using up 1/3rd of their lifespan toiling away for someone else when they can use that time to make themselves self-sufficient and still live comfortably while doing so.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
This has more to do with time than frugality.(While still important) Any joe schmo can make more money, no one can make more time.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Added comment to the post on your site.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

-Russ H.

Exactly my thought!!

But, what?

Making Smart Financial Decisions?
Making Smart Time Decisions?
Making Decisions that help you enjoy each moment, as it comes?

Each person will probably pick a different one... or maybe all three ;)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think most successful entrepreneurs are naturally frugal.

Absolutely ... Fastlaners are frugal with time, moreso than money.

Any joe schmo can make more money, no one can make more time.

Amen brother!

I hear this saying a lot ... money doesn't buy class.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Dude, you're so small-- how do you fit in *your* car?!?

(see screen grab, w/your avatar on left)

-Russ H.

Forza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Mar 14, 2008
I'm thinking a dishwasher is a good alternative to disposable plates. Cleaning one plate and utensils takes a few seconds. A dishwasher even less time. But repairs can be a hassle occasionally.

...If you do your own cooking, don't you have to clean pots and pans?

G

Guest3722A

Dude, you're so small-- how do you fit in *your* car?!?

(see screen grab, w/your avatar on left)

-Russ H.

Itsa truck babe, itsa truck. :)

When I do get one I would think with a ladder and an adult sized baby seat.

YEAH! That would be awesome! Think about how cool that would be!

Buckle up!

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
New post topic what saves me time: I only allow my assistant to contact me by email. She is not allowed to voice mail me, tweet me, or text me, I don't want little pieces of paper with written notes. I have found since implementing this rule I have never missed an important message and I can pick them up and slide them into my calendar and have an accurate record of how things have gone down. I am sure it saves me 2 or 3 hours a week and from time to time lots of money on deals not lost or failure to follow through on issues.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I'm thinking a dishwasher is a good alternative to disposable plates. Cleaning one plate and utensils takes a few seconds. A dishwasher even less time. But repairs can be a hassle occasionally.

...If you do your own cooking, don't you have to clean pots and pans?

Speaking from experience here, it takes less than a second to toss a paper plate into the trash.

It takes about 30-60 seconds to wash a plate, and 15 seconds to put it away when it's dry. It takes at least 15 seconds to rinse a plate, and another 30 seconds to open a dishwasher, put in a plate, and close the thing.

Then, you need to unload it when the dishes are clean (figure another 15 seconds per item, on average, not counting flatware).

Do that 3x a day for 5 days (eat out 6x a week), and you've got 15x you're doing this per week.

15 x 50 weeks (we'll take a 2 week vacation) and you've got 750x a year.

Assuming 60 seconds savings (on average) for each meal, that's 750 minutes per year.

That's 12.5 hours per year.

And that's assuming no big meals w/heavy dish clean up.

-Russ H.

PS RE pots and pans: One pot meals saves additional time. Just one example: You boil pasta in a pot, then take it out to drain. Use the same pot to warm up sauce, or saute' things to toss w/the pasta. Then, toss the pasta back into the pot.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
That's 12.5 hours per year.

Now imagine if you had just hours left to live and you were sharing it with loved ones ... and then suddenly, you were told you had an extra 12.5 hours to spend with them. There is no value on it.

New post topic what saves me time: I only allow my assistant to contact me by email.

Great to see you Janet!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
This next one is only for those of us that haven't gotten to the self-sufficiency thing, and need to work on that while getting paid to work on other things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYgtUvgYi8U&feature=related (In the interest of your time, only watch if you have five minutes for entertainment and enjoy office humor.)

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Why buy paper plates, it's like you're throwing money away:

shamwow.jpg

Solution- Dollar store "china" ;) (Or of course a ShamWow or whatever equivalent they can make for dishes)

While we're on the subject of time wasted in cleaning dishes, I really love my CuisinArt juicer even though it takes like 15 minutes to clean after every use b/c I know I'm getting natural/fresh juice :)

Forza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Mar 14, 2008
It takes about 30-60 seconds to wash a plate, and 15 seconds to put it away when it's dry. It takes at least 15 seconds to rinse a plate, and another 30 seconds to open a dishwasher, put in a plate, and close the thing.

Then, you need to unload it when the dishes are clean (figure another 15 seconds per item, on average, not counting flatware).

Russ, you are simply a very slow dish washer, lol.

If someone isn't rushing to get rich, then micro managing time like this means they don't really enjoy life much, i.e. the present moment. Ordinary things. Life is filled with ordinary things. So much so that they're wasting much of their life away if they don't enjoy them.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Russ, you are simply a very slow dish washer, lol.

If someone isn't rushing to get rich, then micro managing time like this means they don't really enjoy life much, i.e. the present moment. Ordinary things. Life is filled with ordinary things. So much so that they're wasting much of their life away if they don't enjoy them.

Forza-

I don't enjoy mowing the lawn, raking leaves, sweeping the floor, or doing dishes.

And it's not that I don't like menial labor-- I actually enjoy lots of these things. But after years of therapy, the pain of getting beat as a kid (not hit-- BEAT) every single day for the lawn, or the leaves, or the dishes, or sweeping the floor is just there-- it's a painful part of my psyche. Call me a wimp, or damaged goods. It's who I am.

I suck at taking out the trash, too (same reason).

Fortunately, I have a very understanding wife who is OK w/this, and doesn't push it. She sees that I'm a workaholic, so she knows that it's not being lazy.

So what do I do about the things I don't like? I have alternatives: The yard is rubber mulch and pavers (no lawn), and we have a landscaper that does the leaves. A housekeeper sweeps the floor, and also does most of the dishes.

I do take out the trash, but my wife does it more than I do.

Things I didn't get beaten for-- doing laundry, cooking, cleaning the house-- all of these things I do, and enjoy.

Another example: I also enjoy running through spreadsheets and figuring out how to make another couple hundred grand this year-- so that's something *I* do, and don't farm out.

Just b/c I like it. :)

Make sense?

-Russ H.

Forza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Mar 14, 2008
Yes. It sucks that you had to go through that when you were young. You seem to have pulled through nicely inspite of it though :)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If someone isn't rushing to get rich, then micro managing time like this means they don't really enjoy life much, i.e. the present moment.

I can only speak for myself, but this assumption is entirely wrong. I'd rather spend my time engaging in activities that aren't laborious. Instead of washing dishes, I'd rather be listening to music. Sitting on the patio enjoying a beer and a cigar. Sitting on the couch watching CSI.

It is the same reason why I don't do the landscaping at my house and I pay someone to do it -- it is the same reason why I have a cleaning lady come over every so often, it is the same reason why I don't get up at 6am and go to work for 8 hours -- I'd rather reallocate that time to some activity that actually has a return either in more time, enjoyment, or relaxation.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think that this thread is really about not doing what you don't like doing and doing what you do like. It is different for everybody.

I know that there's no way MJ would want to spend a week trying to climb a mountain, camping in the cold, trudging in rain. But for me, that's what I do in my leisure time.

I spent two years putting a koi pond in my backyard and countless hours and it's not done yet. Yes, I could have easily paid someone $20k to get it done in 2 weeks but that not what I WANTED to do. I wanted to rent my own backhoe, order all the supplies, cut the PVC pipe, etc...

So think about it before you have an opinion that doing this or that sucks for that person.

BTW, I still clean up my dog's poo every week too. And I also volunteer at the zoo and I have to scoop up tiger and lion poo. I'm sure the people watching me are thinking, what a poor guy or that guy's job sucks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.