The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My last thread - some parting advice for others

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Hello everyone. I've been posting here for over 2 years but I've been pursuing wealth and financial freedom for over 3 years. I discovered this forum while trying to search for business info and I stayed this long because this forum is full of great advice and articles.

However, I will be leaving now because I feel like I've learned everything that I need to learn or could learn from being here and I feel like my coming here from this point onward would just be a waste of time. I've had a long struggle over the years and as a parting gift I'd like to detail some of my mistakes and the lessons that I've learned to help out others.

Mistake #1 (Not checking to see if a product/idea exists or if it's somewhat defensible once built)

I thought that if I came up with a good or great idea that I should pursue it immediately. I was burned several times by doing this. After spending weeks or months working on a website or project I would find out that a similar business already exists and that it would be next to impossible to gain significant market share without offering the customers in that market a much better deal than the companies already in existence were offering, which I wasn't able to do.

To give you an example of what I mean, I had the idea to build a website and app that would enable Westerners and other people seeking to manufacture goods in China and other countries like Vietnam, India, etc. to describe what they were looking for or wanted developed and have the managers of factories bid on the project, giving them the ability to get the cheapest price without having to directly call up the factories and try to negotiate.

Negotiating with factory owners/managers in China is typically very stressful as not only is there a language barrier, but the business culture in China is much different to the one in the U.S.

Here, we sign contracts after a deal is reached, whereas in China they expect you to sign a contract before negotiations begin; no American wishes to sign his or her name to a contract without knowing what kind of deal they'll be getting.

Another cultural difference is that Chinese like to negotiate hard on every single aspect of the deal, making you work hard to save every last penny.

I hoped to remove some of these barriers and make it easier for Americans to produce goods in China. I would receive a small percentage of every transaction, like 5%, but I was willing to receive a smaller percentage on really big deals.

So, I spent several months coding the website and smartphone app and hiring freelancers to perform coding tasks that I wasn't able to do. After spending countless hours and thousands of dollars I was prepared to launch my service.

However, a week before I launched Alibaba, which is the world's biggest website for outsourcing released the exact same functionality that I was building for free. Not only that, they had a large team of employees that were helping with actively finding products and factories to help satisfy their clients.

Whereas my app/website depending on factories actively seeking out orders and placing bids, Alibaba's system automatically showed these orders to factories, and they have the largest collection of factories signed up on the internet, making it easy for their existing customers to see orders. On the other hand I would have to call factories or email them to get them to sign up, because without an active user base there wouldn't be any point in having a great service.

I tried to go ahead with my plan anyways but I was turned down by factories left and right who didn't want to pay for a service that Alibaba was giving them for free.

I was devastated by this setback and sulked for several months afterwards, figuring that there was no point in trying if the larger businesses could just give customers the same product I was offering either for free or much cheaper than I was capable of doing, since they had much more resources than I did. Even if the idea is a new one, they could build it much faster than I could so if the idea isn't defensible, then there's no point in building the product.

For instance, there was an article about a company that was posted here a few days ago which was based on selling products through Pinterest. No doubt this can be a very profitable business, but the risk is too great since Pinterest can just shut them down at any moment and decide to implement a similar system just as Twitter has been shutting down companies that operate on their API so that they can generate more revenue themselves.

If you play in another companies sandbox, don't get surprised if they kick you out of it or put such severe restrictions on you that your business will be a shell of it's former self. Go for something defensible and also try to come up with a unique idea or at least a good idea that you can implement yourself.

Mistake #2 (Trying to register a business, buy foreign domain names, trademarks, etc. right away.)

For the business above that I just described, I registered the trademark, started a California LLC(huge mistake), and did all the legal requirements because I was certain that it would succeed and I didn't want anyone stealing my intellectual property or registering the business name before I did.

Not only did the business fail, but in California you're expect to pay all the necessary taxes whether or not you generate any revenue so I was out over $1,000 without having earned a single penny. Had I waited to test the idea first I could have saved myself a lot of money, not to mention also registering an LLC in California is a bad idea either way.

The best two states to register an LLC are Delaware and Nevada, especially if you're planning on becoming a large company.

Mistake #3 (Depending on freelancers to build my website/apps)

The lure of hiring freelancers to build your site or app for you can be very enticing but it's usually a bad idea for several reasons. Most freelancers are not very good programmers, and will end up wasting your time and money bidding on your projects even though they know that they can't fulfill it.

They figure that they'll learn how to build what you want along the way but they act very confident when bidding on the project in the first place, making you think that they know what they're doing. Also, even if a freelancer knows how to program and comes cheap, which is extremely rare, you'll still have issues if you want to add extra features or hire a different programmer to work on your site and they have trouble working with someone else's code or don't know how to add the necessary feature.

My suggestion is to learn how to program. It's painful at first but by going to sites like Stackoverflow, watching tutorial videos and experimenting yourself, you'll learn how to become a good(not great) programmer in less than a year if you devote at least one hour a day to this endeavor.

A year might seem like a long time but you'll be surprised how quickly time goes by, just think if you had started learning how to program a year ago you'd be where you want to be by now. In the meantime you can throw up a basic landing page with a coming soon message, to see if people are interested in the products that you want to build; by doing this you can gauge interest without actually building the site or app ahead of time.

This prevents you from wasting your time building a product or service that nobody wants. The founder of Zappos didn't know how to program, nor did he have a warehouse full of shoes to sell. He wanted to test out his idea to see if people were interested in buying shoes online so he threw up a basic website with only a few shoes listed on it and when someone ordered one he would physically go to a shoe store like Reebok and buy that shoe and mail it to them.

After establishing that there was interest he then hired programmers to build a complete site and took out loans to sell more shoes at a cheaper price. First establish a need then devote more time and resources to it.

Mistake #4 - Letting my ego prevent me from trying aka fear of failure.

There were many times when I backed off an idea or project because I was worried about failing, or not put forth as much effort as I should have because I figured there's no point since I'd fail anyways. The worst was when the idea would involve using my real name, which I didn't want out there because I didn't want my real life friends knowing that I was trying to become an entrepreneur; I wanted to hide my failures.

The biggest obstacle that you will encounter in your path to wealth and entrepreneurial success is a fear of failure. Everybody has it; even people who've succeeded already. But, the difference between successful people and unsuccessful people is that the successful people experience a fear of failure but push through anyway whereas the unsuccessful people tend to let this fear hamper their efforts; they'd rather not try and preserve their ego than to risk failing.

My tip for dealing with your fear of failure is to view failure as a learning experience. The more times you fail, the more you'll learn. No one starts off knowing everything; the best way to become a successful entrepreneur is not by reading books or articles; it's by getting out there and trying to build something and attract customers. You'll fail a lot along the way but with each failure you'll become a better entrepreneur.

Mistake #5 - (Wasting too much time on things not related to my business)

A lot of people have mentioned this before but if you want to succeed you need to devote nearly 100% of your waking hours to your business. Don't cut yourself off from the world completely as you might go crazy, but try to avoid spending too much time hanging out with friends, watching television, etc. as these things will just waste your time and hold you back from where you want to be.

These same friends that you waste so much time hanging out with will be in the same situation 5 years from now; do you want to be there with them slaving away and taking orders from someone else throughout the week just to have a couple of days of fun during the weekend, or do you want to be fulfilling your dreams and living an amazing life?

It took me a long time to figure the above info out but after 3 long years I've finally reached my destination and will be spending the next year or so really ramping up my efforts since I've created a business that's making me money like crazy without having to invest much money into it and I'll be raising money from investors soon to help fuel further growth to make this a company worth billions.

I don't mention this to show off, but it's the reason why I'm leaving since I can't afford to waste anymore time on this forum when I need to focus and devote almost 100% of my waking time to my business to help it become huge.

I'll answer any follow up questions anyone has on this thread but after that I'll be off permanently. I'd like to thank everyone here who's posted good advice over the years on this forum as I've learned a lot while I've been here and I hope this thread will prove useful to others on the path.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Mistake #6 - Thinking that you've learned everything you can from a forum

Seriously, after typing those first 5 mistakes, how can you possibly think that what you stated is true?

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego

Seriously, after typing those first 5 mistakes, how can you possibly think that what you stated is true?

Honestly. I haven't come across a post in months that has taught me anything new, at least as it applies to the type of business that I'm working on. If this current business that I'm working on fails and I need to work on something else then coming back would be helpful to ask experts on those areas.

Like for instance if I wanted to start working in real estate I would come back here because there are a lot of people here who are knowledgeable in that area whereas I'm not, so getting their advice would be beneficial. However, I've scraped the bottom of the barrel when it comes to getting advice about the area that I'm working in and I feel like I'm more knowledgeable about it than 99% of people on this planet after working at it and reading up on it for over a year now.

I've also been reading a lot of books about potential legal issues, setting up business structure, how to hire people and create a company that can scale, etc. Compared to what I've been reading the info about legal issues and company structure present on this forum is like beginners stuff; no offense as I was a beginner once and needed that info.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I feel like I've learned everything that I need to learn or could learn from being here

You have not learned everything you could learn here or you would not have said this. Having an edge in business is learning! If you think peer advisory has no value you are crazy.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

I was about to say... it's one thing to say that the forum is wasting your time (which it can be: it's a very potent tool for procrastination) but to say that you've learned everything you can from this forum?

When you sell your company for $10+ million and you need to learn how to invest it, you're gonna come straight back and eat those words.

Either way, it's awesome that you're finding success. I wish you the best.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I feel like I'm more knowledgeable about it than 99% of people on this planet after working at it and reading up on it for over a year now.

I admit I haven't taken the time to see what it is you're knowledgable about than most of us here but have you shared this information on this forum. I'm sure many would find value from it and it would be a great way to give back. If you have indeed shared your wealth of knowledge here my apologies.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I was about to say... it's one thing to say that the forum is wasting your time (which it can be: it's a very potent tool for procrastination) but to say that you've learned everything you can from this forum?

When you sell your company for $10+ million and you need to learn how to invest it, you're gonna come straight back and eat those words.

Either way, it's awesome that you're finding success. I wish you the best.

Thanks, but I don't plan on selling my business for 10 million. Plus, thinking about investing my potential fortune is a waste of time right now as I wouldn't get to that stage for a few years at least; why would I come here in the meantime? Sure, there are some interesting threads here and some funny stuff posted from time to time like the thread about the Rappers or Vince Young spending all his money, etc. but those are mainly distractions from what I'm working on.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I admit I haven't taken the time to see what it is you're knowledgable about than most of us here but have you shared this information on this forum. I'm sure many would find value from it and it would be a great way to give back. If you have indeed shared your wealth of knowledge here my apologies.

No problem, as I haven't discussed what I'm working on here. I wouldn't want to since at the moment my company is the only one doing what I'm doing and coming here to talk about my business would probably create some competitors, and let people know what I know without me knowing anything about them or what they're planning.

That might sound paranoid but it happens. Most of the people that post here are cool but there are a lot of people who just read the forum but don't post; and they come here mainly to get business ideas, so I'm not going to make it easy for them. JamesF got his idea stolen by someone surfing this forum. I expect there to be competition eventually anyways since people who aren't creative descend on new/successful businesses like hungry vultures when they spot them, like how GroupOn was an original idea that now has hundreds of copy cats.

But, before that competition arrives I want to grow as much as possible so that I can become the household name in my area the same way that GroupOn is the household name for daily deals whereas most people couldn't tell you who their competitors are aside from maybe Living Social. GroupOn was able to capture 85% of the daily deals market because they had a head start.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I totally get it if you want to reduce time on the forum to focus on your business, that makes a lot of sense.

But to say that you have nothing more to learn, that's just plain ego.

The smartest and wisest people I know will tell me that the more they learn, the more they realize that they are just at the beginning of everything that can be learned. Knowledge is infinite.

From my own experience, the more I've learned, the smarter everyone around me seems, because I have learned to find wisdom everywhere, in everyone, in any circumstance.

The path you're on in your opening statements, is the path to loneliness and dissatisfaction. You can learn something incredibly valuable for your life or your business from anyone, an animal or even an inanimate object if you have the right attitude.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I totally get it if you want to reduce time on the forum to focus on your business, that makes a lot of sense.

But to say that you have nothing more to learn, that's just plain ego.

The smartest and wisest people I know will tell me that the more they learn, the more they realize that they are just at the beginning of everything that can be learned. Knowledge is infinite.

From my own experience, the more I've learned, the smarter everyone around me seems, because I have learned to find wisdom everywhere, in everyone, in any circumstance.

The path you're on in your opening statements, is the path to loneliness and dissatisfaction. You can learn something incredibly valuable for your life or your business from anyone, an animal or even an inanimate object if you have the right attitude.

Perhaps I can learn a nugget or two of information by staying but I would have to spend a lot of time on this forum to gain that knowledge whereas if I specifically buy books about what I'm searching for then I can gain much more knowledge without spending as much time trying to gain it.

I feel like this forum is great for beginners because you get exposed to years of insights and knowledge from the people here, many of whom have already made it. But, if you've spent years here like I have and feel like the level of useful information is no longer what it used to be then I think it's time to hit the dusty trail and move on.

I'm grateful for the time I've spent here and the people who've shared valuable info, which is why I'm trying to give back some of what I've learned through this thread. My time spent here was not a waste like it would have been had I spent that time on a forum about MMA or something useless like that, etc.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You know I could easily say why do I come here to read about ecommerce? Why did I start a thread answering questions? I have nothing that I can possibly learn from people that I'm trying to help. But that is 100% not true. I have learned so much from my own thread alone, not to mention other threads from Vigilante, PatrickP and even Amail (who at that time just began his business but could probably answer a ton of questions now). I won't go into specifics but I shudder to think where my business would be if I stopped coming here 8 months ago.

I know for sure that I wouldn't have brought in that additional $12k in September. Just one thread did that. If I didn't read that thread I would have never even thought of doing what it said.

You don't know what you don't know. Once you understand that you will never make a statement like you said again. And if you don't want to waste time, don't go to the Fastlane Funnies category or open threads that have silly titles. That is all your own fault.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
786 posts, 65 kph, and a huge self-centered ego. Clearly all your time on here wasn't long enough to teach you that business is not about what others can do for you, but about what you can do for others.

Best of luck.:cool:

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
786 posts, 65 kph, and a huge self-centered ego. Clearly all your time on here wasn't long enough to teach you that business is not about what others can do for you, but about what you can do for others.

Best of luck.:cool:

First of all, I don't care about my reputation speed. I've never even thought about improving mine. I came to this forum to learn about business and I feel that I've accomplished that. If I've helped some others along the way then that's great but that wasn't my goal.

My goal wasn't to be a business guru who goes around helping others start their businesses. My goal was to create a successful business, and I feel like I've done and am doing that at the moment so coming to this forum to teach people such as yourself has nothing to do with that.

Ultimately, the only people that I have to satisfy are my customers, and they aren't on this forum. I'm not trying to be rude but just responding to you in the way that you came at me.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
First of all, I don't care about my reputation speed. I've never even thought about improving mine. I came to this forum to learn about business and I feel that I've accomplished that. If I've helped some others along the way then that's great but that wasn't my goal.

My goal wasn't to be a business guru who goes around helping others start their businesses. My goal was to create a successful business, and I feel like I've done and am doing that at the moment so coming to this forum to teach people such as yourself has nothing to do with that.

Ultimately, the only people that I have to satisfy are my customers, and they aren't on this forum. I'm not trying to be rude but just responding to you in the way that you came at me.

Lots of people think business is just money/finance. Bullshit, being successful in business is equal parts relationships and finance.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Lots of people think business is just money/finance. Bullshit, being successful in business is equal parts relationships and finance.

Why do you assume that I don't have the necessary relationships IRL? Just because my network of people on this forum is not large doesn't mean that I don't know people in real life who are helping me and have helped me in the past. For instance, I recently borrowed several thousand dollars from someone that I know in real life to buy extra servers for my website due to increased traffic.

That person loaned that money to me interest free because not only do they know that I'm reliable and will pay back the loan since I've borrowed from them in the past, but also they know that the idea itself is a good one that involves very little risk due to the way that the business is structured where money spent directly follows money coming in, so my spending only increases if I'm getting more money in from customers. When that person needed money in the past I've lent him money, so we have that pre-established relationship where both of us have helped one another and therefore can rely on one another when we need help.

That's just one of the many people in my real life network, which I consider to be very valuable. I've had private discussions with members of this forum such as JamesF who is a cool guy, and I value those relationships but at the moment I need to focus 100% on my business and not this forum.

D

DeletedUser394

I learned more from the replies to this thread, than the first post.

I like you people.

Good luck Darkside, seems like you've got it going on.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I learned more from the replies to this thread, than the first post.

I like you people.

I suppose I should have just left quietly without saying a word instead of trying to help people out with a post summarizing what I've learned from my experiences.

D

DeletedUser394

Ego was definitely involved. Nothing wrong with that, everyone has that.

Anyway, best of luck good sir, hope you do well in business/life.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You have made up your mind. Bye.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Ego was definitely involved. Nothing wrong with that, everyone has that.

Anyway, best of luck good sir, hope you do well in business/life.

Ego wasn't involved because I've only met one person from this forum IRL. I haven't even shared anything about my business on facebook; none of my friends know about it. If I was egotistical I would have documented my success on facebook to show off to people that I know rather than show off to random strangers on a forum where many of the people are already more successful than I am.

Anyways thanks for wishing me luck. I forgot to thank MJ for setting up this forum in the first place. Thanks to anyone whose helped me in the past.

D

DeletedUser394

You defending yourself so adamantly, and rejecting everything everyone says is the result of ego.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
You have made up your mind. Bye.

Goodbye sir, and unlike you I'm not angry or hostile towards others just for saying that they're leaving. I hope you succeed but I'm not here to hold your hand or anyone else's. I came here to help myself, not to be a giver. If I've helped others along the way then that's great but that wasn't my goal. If most of the people here are being honest with themselves they came here for selfish reasons as well; since I think almost all of us want to be wealthy.

MJ is helping us out by maintaining this forum but he's benefiting as well by selling books through it. Do you think LeBron James would play in the NBA if he wasn't getting paid for it? Do you think he shows up just to satisfy the fans and television viewers?

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
You defending yourself so adamantly, and rejecting everything everyone says is the result of ego.

I'm defending myself because I feel like I've been unfairly attacked. Like I said, I could have snuck off without saying a word, which would have been the real a**hole move. I figured I'd make a final thread to help others learn some of the things I've learned even though many of the regulars already know about what I wrote; it was mainly designed to help new people.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Goodbye sir, and unlike you I'm not angry or hostile towards others just for saying that they're leaving. I hope you succeed but I'm not here to hold your hand or anyone else's. I came here to help myself, not to be a giver. If I've helped others along the way then that's great but that wasn't my goal. If most of the people here are being honest with themselves they came here for selfish reasons as well; since I think almost all of us want to be wealthy.

MJ is helping us out by maintaining this forum but he's benefiting as well by selling books through it. Do you think LeBron James would play in the NBA if he wasn't getting paid for it? Do you think he shows up just to satisfy the fans and television viewers?

Nobody is angry.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Nobody is angry.

Perhaps not angry but definitely using an angry or aggressive tone towards me. If I had known I'd receive this kind of response I wouldn't have started the thread to begin with. I would have just snuck off quietly and never returned. I figured I'd give people a chance to ask a few questions and maybe say some goodbyes to some of the people here who I like then move on with some advice left behind for others.

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
Sounds like what you didn't learn was that learning is a life long task that will never end, and not wanting to learn about anything that doesn't help you improve your business directly is a mistake.

My time spent here was not a waste like it would have been had I spent that time on a forum about MMA or something useless like that, etc.

I spend time occasionally on an MMA forum, does that mean I'm wasting my time? No, it means I'm enjoying myself and allowing my brain to take a break from thinking about business matters.

Also, the advice you gave is the most basic advice an entrepreneur could ever learn. Surely someone of your success has better advice to offer? Your advice sounds like the several thousand other pieces of advice I've read in basic entrepreneurial blogs years ago.

You're also still scared of competition which says you're insecure about your business and your capabilities of keeping it successful.

However, I will be leaving now because I feel like I've learned everything that I need to learn or could learn from being here

This is a stupid statement and ignorance on your behalf because as I said, there's an endless stream of knowledge flowing through here and your brain is constantly soaking it all up and if you yourself are not taking anything from it your subconscious is. How can you learn everything you could ever learn from a site, when new experiences, new ways to manage your money, new ways to motivate yourself, new ways to network, new book recommendations, new business lessons, and new advice is constantly coming through on a daily basis?

Most important of all, you get to communicate and network with a wide variety of people and exchange ideas/advice.

Why do you feel as people are attacking you? Maybe because you came off as offensive.

I honestly found it kind of offensive that you would say "I feel as if I learned everything I could learn here," as if no one else has and like we're just wasting our time running laps in a hamster wheel. Even though I just clearly explained that could not be possible.

To sum it up, there's countless people here who are a lot more successful than you who aren't naive enough to say they learned everything they could possibly learn here. Why? Because as I explained above, it's common sense that's impossible (a growing community with an endless stream of knowledge and experience flowing through). You may not be learning exactly what you want to learn, but you certainly haven't learned all that you could.

That is all.

Edit: Oh, and bye I hope you enjoyed your stay.

- Gold

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
You can always learn from other, but I do understand the need to leave something that takes away time.
Best of luck.

Sent from my iOS powered Android.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Perhaps not angry but definitely using an angry or aggressive tone towards me. If I had known I'd receive this kind of response I wouldn't have started the thread to begin with. I would have just snuck off quietly and never returned. I figured I'd give people a chance to ask a few questions and maybe say some goodbyes to some of the people here who I like then move on with some advice left behind for others.

Listen darkside. I wasn't hostile until now. You should have snuck out, no one wants to hear your little pity party. Years of combined experience is straight up telling you that there is value here and you refuse to listen almost like you want us to beg you to stay.

Your ego is definitely showing. "Holding everyone's hand" LMAO this is a mutual discussion board for peer advisory in business.

No problem though, if you ever want some advice about something business related just remember that you know everything already.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Sounds like what you didn't learn was that learning is a life long task that will never end, and not wanting to learn about anything that doesn't help you improve your business directly is a mistake.

Of course I didn't say that I'm done with learning period. I just said that it's become clear to me that based on the amount of relevant knowledge I'm gaining from this forum I'd be wasting my time if I stayed. I bolded the word relevant because there's tons of info here that I don't know; I gave the example of real estate earlier which a lot of members here know a lot about but which I know very little. But, it doesn't matter since I'm not working in that area right now. I've exhausted all the possible info on this forum relevant to the business that I'm currently working on.

Like I've said, given the amount of time and energy I've devoted to this business I feel like I know more about it than 99% of people on the planet much less this forum. It would be like if you had a business that specialized in selling zebras to Canadian zoos. I highly doubt that you would find much info about that type of business on here and I would wager that you would have acquired more knowledge than pretty much anyone else here about that subject.

A better example perhaps would be MJ's limo business and how he knows far more about it than anyone here could probably teach him. I've reached a point where I don't think anyone here can provide me with anymore relevant info about the business that I'm working on since not only is it a new type of business but it's one that I've been working on for the past year and have been studying a lot so I feel confident in saying that no one here knows more about it than I do.

That doesn't mean that people elsewhere don't know more about it than I do. Like I said, I've been buying books to expand my knowledge and when I find relevant info I read up on it, whether that's an article or a forum posting. But, given the amount of relevant info on this forum about my business, it isn't worth spending anymore time here.

I spend time occasionally on an MMA forum, does that mean I'm wasting my time? No, it means I'm enjoying myself and allowing my brain to take a break from thinking about business matters.

I didn't say that you have to become a hermit who is 100% focused on his business at all times to be successful. In fact, if you go back and read my opening post you will see that I said that people shouldn't spend all their time working on their business since they might go crazy or get burnt out if they do. It's good to take some time off to relax, as that helps with creativity as well. But, I said that they should also try to avoid wasting their time doing useless things as much as possible, maybe a 90/10 rule.

Also, the advice you gave is the most basic advice an entrepreneur could ever learn. Surely someone of your success has better advice to offer? Your advice sounds like the several thousand other pieces of advice I've read in basic entrepreneurial blogs years ago.

I mentioned earlier that it was designed mainly for new people. I have other useful advice but if I shared it, I feel like it wouldn't be as useful; like if I know a useful area to exploit and I told everyone about it then the secret would be out and it wouldn't be worth as much anymore. I only share that kind of advice with close friends who are also into business.

You're also still scared of competition which says you're insecure about your business and your capabilities of keeping it successful.

That's false. For one thing, everyone should be worried about competition. Only a fool doesn't worry about competitors. Secondly, the type of business I'm doing has a very low barrier to entry which is why I'm so secretive about it. If I shared info about it, then most of the people here could start a similar business within a month or two. That's why I said that I wish to keep it secret until I grow large enough to be a household name.

GroupOn is another business with a low barrier to entry; anyone can set up a similar service. However, the reason why they control 85% of the market isn't because they provide a much better service than everyone else; it's because they were the first and they raised lots of money to expand quickly before other people realized how profitable that business was.

Another type of business that has a low barrier for entry is the restaurant business. However, even though you can open up a restaurant tomorrow it's highly unlikely that you'll put a dent in McDonald's or another major chain's sales since they've already grabbed so much mindshare; they're a household name that's existed for decades whereas you as the new restaurant on the block have no credibility established.

This is a stupid statement and ignorance on your behalf because as I said, there's an endless stream of knowledge flowing through here and your brain is constantly soaking it all up and if you yourself are not taking anything from it your subconscious is. How can you learn everything you could ever learn from a site, when new experiences, new ways to manage your money, new ways to motivate yourself, new ways to network, new book recommendations, new business lessons, and new advice is constantly coming through on a daily basis?

Most important of all, you get to communicate and network with a wide variety of people and exchange ideas/advice.

Why do you feel as people are attacking you? Maybe because you came off as offensive.

I honestly found it kind of offensive that you would say "I feel as if I learned everything I could learn here," as if no one else has and like we're just wasting our time running laps in a hamster wheel. Even though I just clearly explained that could not be possible.

To sum it up, there's countless people here who are a lot more successful than you who aren't naive enough to say they learned everything they could possibly learn here. Why? Because as I explained above, it's common sense that's impossible (a growing community with an endless stream of knowledge and experience flowing through). You may not be learning exactly what you want to learn, but you certainly haven't learned all that you could.

That is all.

Edit: Oh, and bye I hope you enjoyed your stay.

- Gold

Once again, I never claimed that I learned everything that's important to learn here. Rather, I've learned everything that relates to my particular business and I feel like staying here wouldn't teach me anything new about how to run my business. For the other stuff like setting up a company, trademarking, scaling, etc. I've purchased lots of books and have been reading up on them.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Listen darkside. I wasn't hostile until now. You should have snuck out, no one wants to hear your little pity party. Years of combined experience is straight up telling you that there is value here and you refuse to listen almost like you want us to beg you to stay.

Your ego is definitely showing. "Holding everyone's hand" LMAO this is a mutual discussion board for peer advisory in business.

No problem though, if you ever want some advice about something business related just remember that you know everything already.

I never said I was holding everyone's hand. Go back and read that post. I was referring to dknise's comment below:

that 786 posts, 65 kph, and a huge self-centered ego. Clearly all your time on here wasn't long enough to teach you that business is not about what others can do for you, but about what you can do for others.

My point to dknise was that I'm not here to hold anyone else's hand on this forum. I'm here to learn and like I said if I taught anyone anything that's great but that wasn't my goal. Business is not about helping other business people. It's about providing a valuable service for customers.

As long as my customers are satisfied that's all that matters. Everyone on this forum could hate me and as long as my customers are satisfied with the product and service that I provide for them then I could succeed in business. That was my point; that business success doesn't directly correlate with helping other people with their business endeavors.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.