The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My first venture!

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I just launched my first venture which is my new web site (americanowr.com) which sells my auto racing book. I've only sold a few copies but I'm excited about its possibilities. I have a couple questions:

1.) What do you think of the site?

2.) Do you have any suggestions of how I can market it? I just started my press release/classified advertising campaign but I'd like to do some things online that are free/cheap.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

phoenix_ent

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
May 27, 2008
congrats and wish you best of luck. hopefully ill be lunching mines within the next 2 weeks.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Last edited:

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Website Critique:
First a few facts that may prove to be helpful. I run a MAC. I use Safari as my browser. I also tried Firefox.
1. Upon opening your website, I felt it took too long to open. Someone who is browsing may not wait for it to open before moving on. If they don't get to your site, they cannot buy the book.
2. Using either browser, I was unable to use the scroll window within the site to read what was beyond the second line of the third paragraph.
3. Both of the above problems resolved when I re-entered the url and came back to the site. It loaded quicker and I had scroll bar use. However, if I emptied my cache and went to the site it again would load slow.
4. If I had not know what the site was for, it would have taken too long to figure it out. Identify to the user right away what your site is.
5. The site is nice to see. It is visually balanced and relatively easy on the eyes. Some of the orange wording against the dark green background might be difficult to read, although, the user would know where they were because when they selected it, it was black.
6. I like the sites basic simplicity. It is not difficult to navigate.

I think you have a great first launch. You may want to get the book "Don't Make Me Think". It has been mentioned a few times on the forum and recommended by MJ and others. It was a great easy read and discusses website usability. After reading it, you'll be able to identify all sorts of ways to make your site even better. Good Luck and congrats and taking action!

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Suggestions:

1) Stay away from flash. It hurts your SEO (search engine optimization) and its slower than to load
2) I would turn the whole website into either a landing page or a microsite with a blog where you talk about racing and stuff
3) Contact form, not "mailto" links
4) As soon as I open your website I don't now what you're selling. Tell me this, and do it fast!

Best wishes and congrats!!

PurEnergy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 4, 2008
I'm not a website tech but it loaded slow for me too and I'm on XP using Mozilla. It did a count for me until it was fully loaded. I agree, with the others some bold headlines letting people know where they've landed.

I'm wondering who your target customer is? Is it race car drivers or organizations or everybody? If you only have those two paragraphs to explain what it is you're offering, I would be clear who it is I'm speaking to and why they should read any more. Grab hold of the people you know that need your information. You should definitely have a blog. I bet you would attract more race fans than you could shake a stick at, if that's what you want.

I live in a big race area north of Charlotte NC. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that drag racing will be the next fastest growing sport if it isn't already. We just happen to be getting a brand new drag strip in Concord near the Lowes Motor Speedway in addition to the dirt track.

You can do all kinds of things with a website and your book. Good luck to you sir.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Forza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Mar 14, 2008
I'm researching for an ebook, and from my internet marketing studies I definitely would take a look at ebook sites that make a lot of sales. You can study some of the best at Clickbank. All of them have long pages of salescopy, and have good 'above the fold' introductions.

There are probably ebook sites with good salescopy that aren't making huge sales, because the owners aren't marketing widely enough.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.