The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting my first venture

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Jing Wei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 14, 2022
I have read the MF and Unscripted and want to start my first startup. I am thinking of going into the vermicomposting industry as my country specialized in landscaping and the products they offer for plant are mostly water based nutrient sprays .There’s only 1 or 2 companies offering compost fertilizers but they are not really into the business of nutrients as they mostly renting plants for events or are in the farming sector and compost fertilizers are just another source of revenue for them I think.

The problem here is that i have little knowledge of the industry, whether it is a real need and how to set up. Here’s what I plan to do for the following months.I order a batch of worms and test out prototypes of various feeds and setups to see if feeds affects the quality of the compost , at the same time learn as much as I can about more of the industry ,then harvest the compost and sell it out to my local facebook groups and see if there is a market for it. Once I verified that I had a market and I had learn more of what I need during the months, I plan to start a business around it. Or is there a better method of starting out?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Voracity

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 24, 2014
Midwest USA
I have read the MF and Unscripted and want to start my first startup. I am thinking of going into the vermicomposting industry as my country specialized in landscaping and the products they offer for plant are mostly water based nutrient sprays .There’s only 1 or 2 companies offering compost fertilizers but they are not really into the business of nutrients as they mostly renting plants for events or are in the farming sector and compost fertilizers are just another source of revenue for them I think.

The problem here is that i have little knowledge of the industry, whether it is a real need and how to set up. Here’s what I plan to do for the following months.I order a batch of worms and test out prototypes of various feeds and setups to see if feeds affects the quality of the compost , at the same time learn as much as I can about more of the industry ,then harvest the compost and sell it out to my local facebook groups and see if there is a market for it. Once I verified that I had a market and I had learn more of what I need during the months, I plan to start a business around it. Or is there a better method of starting out?
Fertilizer is a hot commodity right now.

How do you intend to measure the compost quality of each batch? You will need to be able to compare against your competition if you want to differentiate your product. If you can apply that measurement to competitor products then you can use that in your marketing.

Jing Wei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 14, 2022
Fertilizer is a hot commodity right now.

How do you intend to measure the compost quality of each batch? You will need to be able to compare against your competition if you want to differentiate your product. If you can apply that measurement to competitor products then you can use that in your marketing.
Good point there. Thank you. I am not sure how for now ,but i plan to improve my prototype down the road through feedbacks maybe

Jing Wei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 14, 2022
Here's update on my progress:
Before i did the posting, i had spend weeks reading and googling whatever i can about the industry and how to set up for beginners. I finally decide to execute after i managed to convince my parents to let me try rearing some at home and that is when i realize the problems and entry barriers associated with starting it in my country. Vermicomposting guides online is mostly about using a type of red worm called the red wrigger and this worm is not native to my country .Companies and farms that rear those worms also do not shipped to my country. I am not sure if the local species of vermicomposting worm is up to standard and if the machines designed for industrial use works on them too. I tried using wadm to see if i should stick with my idea or abandon this idea and look into other industries but it ends up in a tie. Can i know if theres any suggestions from you guys reading this thread? Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dmorr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Dec 31, 2017
North Texas
I received my first batch of worms last night, am now trying out different combinations of feeds
What country are you located? Do you live in the city or country? If you have a small amount of worms you can use kitchen scraps and shredded paper for feed and bedding. If you have any questions I might can help.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.