The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Experience with Modafinil

dbx286

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Aug 13, 2016
This is what I think seems pretty obvious but every testimonial i've seen has been "this is totally not addictive". How can something with obvious (short term) benefits not be harmful? It's like saying weed isn't addictive, yet dependency is pretty obvious in a huge amount of people.

I drink about 50 cups of tea a day and can't see myself stopping even that! let alone a drug that'd make me seriously productive.

Is it really that unreasonable to point out the drawbacks of using a psychoactive drug as a shortcut for motivation and productivity?

EDIT: I only wanted to try it recreationally

Caffiene has greater physical dependence than modafinil.
Also, it is not addictive in the sense that your body does not crave it, nor do you suffer from withdrawal symptoms. The same cannot be said for caffeine.
Obviously there is a risk of psychological dependence. How some fat people are addicted to eating cake everyday. The cake itself is not the addictive substance, but the subject is addicted to eating it daily. The same way, yes there is a chance of psychological addiction.

I have never found anyone who had trouble stopping modafinil. Even the heavy users. I personally have talked to more than 200+ people about it who have taken it for more than a month. Some even years.

I would put it at the same risk level as your OTC painkillers. Maybe even less. Should you take it everyday? Hell no. Good diet + exercise is a better long term strategy. If you still want the edge, study and work out a good nootropic stack for your needs.
Would I take it to meet a deadline or whenever I am hard-pressed to get something done quickly? F*ck Yes!

"How can something with obvious (short term) benefits not be harmful?" --> Rhetoric question, weak premise, little logic. I don't know what to say to that. It is harmful indeed. But I would say it is less harmful than drinking 30-50 cups of tea everyday.

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have about Modafinil or any other nootropic. I know this shit very well. I can even cite sources if you doubt any of my claims. Also stay the F*ck away from Adderall or Ritalin (methylphenidate)

PS. NEVER TAKE ADRAFINIL. It is slightly toxic for the liver. Not too much, like one pill won't F*ck you up. But still, stick to modafinil. Armodafinil, which goes by the name of "Waklert" is vastly better than modafinil from my personal experience.
PPS. If someone wants to give this shit a try, hit me up. I can hook you up a sample for free (except the shipping costs). I run ModafinilDog.com ;)

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
I've been taking modafinil for about three months now.

Dosage: 100mg in the morning on empty stomach.

Usually 4-5 days a week (one day on, one day off, etc.)

The effects are really subtle, and until you're focused on a task you don't really notice it working.

Benefits include: longer attention span, ability to focus deeply on the task at hand, increased attention to detail, quicker thought process, decreased fatigue from lack of sleep or food

Taking it with caffeine seems to enhance the effects, but I'm careful not to over-stimulate myself (after my experience below).

The only negative side effects seem to be loss of appetite and a slight dulling of emotions.

The worst experience I've had with it was when I took one pill in the morning and than took another 100mg around 11pm the same day to pull an all-nighter. I also downed a Starbucks Doubleshot Espresso (+ smoke about a half pack of cigs a day) and my heartbeat was irregular for about an hour afterwards.

After I'm done with my current supply I don't think I'll be reordering.. the effects are alright but I think there's a lot of improvements I can make in my diet and sleep habits that would have a greater, more sustainable effect

Greystone

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 14, 2012
France
Was on modafinil again today, after a 1 week break. I took 200mg at 06.45 am, and the effects are still lasting (it's 09.30 pm now where I am).

Had a very good day today. Again, at my job, read tons of wikipedia articles and stuff related to my business for hours. It was great. This afternoon, I worked on my internet business and focus was awesome. No bad feelings in me, just will to get things done.

I also noticed a very pleasant effect: no need to nap. Usually, in the afternoon, when I come back from work, I am totaly destroyed and I just can't work on my business. It's shitty and I hate to take a nap in the afternoon. With moda, there was not even the need to take a nap. The need was to WORK on my website.

A friend called me in the afternoon (shit) and I picked up. The conversation lasted for 1 and a half hour and let me tell you, it's very unusual for me to have such a long conversation with someone else. But the focus was so good and fluid, compared to usual, that the conversation turned out to be great. We mainly talked about business. And I wanted to talk even more but my friend had to hang up (usually, it's always me who hangs up because i'm so bored).

As said before, moda will give you a boost in focus and motivation. It's up to you how you will use it. If you want to use it jacking off or working depends on you.

Also had a bodybuilding workout session this afternoon. I didn't notice anything special, even though I lifted heavier for some exercises. It was not the best workout i've ever had but definitely not the worst either.

I would say, from my tiny experience, that moda is especially good for focusing on one precise thing. Reading or writing an article, listening to a friend's voice, watching a film or coding are excellent examples (yeah, coding is not that bad, guys ;-)).

For those worried about the side effects, again, if you are too worried just don't take it. FDA are probably right, and if you follow them, it's good enough. The less we are, the better.

@JAJT: very good post, very true.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Carnage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Sep 4, 2015
OP, have you taken just a plain caffeine pill? How would you compare M to that?

Greystone

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 14, 2012
France
OP, have you taken just a plain caffeine pill? How would you compare M to that?

No, I haven't. I personnaly don't like caffeine, I can drink several cups, it's got absolutely no effect on me. And I don't like the taste either. I need much more prowerful things to awake me.

A pill of moda is easy to take, and it lasts for all the day. I always take it first thing in the morning cause the effects are gonna last until evening.

dbx286

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Aug 13, 2016
No, I haven't. I personnaly don't like caffeine, I can drink several cups, it's got absolutely no effect on me. And I don't like the taste either. I need much more prowerful things to awake me.

A pill of moda is easy to take, and it lasts for all the day. I always take it first thing in the morning cause the effects are gonna last until evening.
Modafinil messes up the Dopamine/GABA ratio. If you take it regularly, I would recommend taking something like Bacopa Monnieri before you sleep. This is also an adaptogen and hence will help restore balance to your brain enzymes.

LeJamesBron

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 5, 2016
Check out this reddit post on /r/caffeinepills. He goes in to the benefits of caffeine. I'd stay away from Adderall for regular use as it is an amphetamine. It is one methyl group away from being meth, essentially one level down.

jmomcc

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 10, 2014
I could probably get a prescription for modafanil as its prescribed for narcolepsy. I've displayed textbook but not extreme (I can manage them with scheduled naps and so on) narcolepsy symptoms since a teenager including cataplexy. I just really do not want that diagnosis on my 'record' when it comes to driving and such. My symptoms are mild enough that I can manage without.

Anyway, one thing I would say is - why did you up your dosage so fast? From what I can see the usual adult dose for a narcoleptic patient would be 200mg a day. The goal for you should be to find the lowest dose that has an effect for you, then slowly raise that over time while taking frequent breaks and resets.

Back when I was doing my wildish college days, I had great success doing a quarter of whatever anyone else was doing 'pill' wise and seeing where that got me.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Tried it a few times. Slight increase in wakefulness (possibly placebo because I was always looking for it.)

Little to no effect on the quality, speed or efficiency of my output.

In my experience, it was not worth the price - nowhere near as good as coffee.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Do you think Modafinil is still valid after 4 years since the publication of this post?
Have you gained further experience and proof of its "quality"?

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
Do you think Modafinil is still valid after 4 years since the publication of this post?
Have you gained further experience and proof of its "quality"?
Not the original poster, but I have experimented with it a little. It is not a magic pill, but it can be used as a tool in certain situations. It does not increase creativity, rather decrease it, but you will be able to concentrate more on boring work what just needs to be eaten through. If you are sleep deprived, it's a great tool for short term functioning. Air force study on that: Modafinil's effects on simulator performance and mood in pilots during 37 h without sleep. - PubMed - NCBI
Obviously going for too long like this, I am sure you will pay for it in some way or the other.
So I think if you are going into this with a weak mind of just taking the pill and hoping to do right things, right work and just somehow magically improve the life by taking the pill, then that is not what happens.

I think natural Modafinil is jogging, intermittent fasting, training your brain and body to use fat for fuel, exercise, reading, but most importantly, getting your mind right and motivated. Working your mind to make your goals exciting and a reason to aggressively strive for and losing yourself in the work is way more enjoyable.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Not the original poster, but I have experimented with it a little. It is not a magic pill, but it can be used as a tool in certain situations. It does not increase creativity, rather decrease it, but you will be able to concentrate more on boring work what just needs to be eaten through. If you are sleep deprived, it's a great tool for short term functioning. Air force study on that: Modafinil's effects on simulator performance and mood in pilots during 37 h without sleep. - PubMed - NCBI
Obviously going for too long like this, I am sure you will pay for it in some way or the other.
So I think if you are going into this with a weak mind of just taking the pill and hoping to do right things, right work and just somehow magically improve the life by taking the pill, then that is not what happens.

I think natural Modafinil is jogging, intermittent fasting, training your brain and body to use fat for fuel, exercise, reading, but most importantly, getting your mind right and motivated. Working your mind to make your goals exciting and a reason to aggressively strive for and losing yourself in the work is way more enjoyable.
Yeah, honestly I'm not a fan of drug use in general.
I mean, it can be great if it's sporadic and is justified.

I used to smoke marijuana, and while many people (those kids who smoke and do nothing afterward) give it a bad reputation, I always smoked with a goal in mind. Marijuana, for instance, gave me many "red pill" moments and woke me up in certain life situations where I had extreme mental fog and I used those moments to write on my journal every single thought.

This is just to say that drug use can help you if your intentions are good and you don't do it just because.

The same goes for Modafinil. I've read it helped many guys focus more than longer on their tasks, but again, I believe that many guys take it as an excuse for being lazy and undisciplined. But I never used Modafinil, so I can't tell much about it nor can I say it's good or bad.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I have taken modafinil many times over the last few years. I experimented the most in Mexico because it's over the counter there.

I found no obvious negative side effects except that it causes tension at higher doses. It's a stimulant, and though it's subtle, I noticed the tension after a few days taking 200-300mg per day.

It's a sneaky time waster too. Focus is not always good if you don't have a clear task to focus on. If you don't have a lot of writing or a long tedious task list, you might find yourself reading useless blogs or cracking out on some project around the house that isn't very important.

I found the best way to use modafinil is at low doses. It still has the focus-increasinf effect at 50mg or less (1/4 pill) with much less negative side effects.

That said, I used it pretty heavily in Mexico for 3 months or so and when I came back to the states I didn't notice any withdrawal when I stopped taking it.

I still take it on occasion now but only when I have to write a lot. It helps melt through the writers block as soon as the first word hits the page.

I think it's worth trying legally if you already eat right, exercise, and sleep enough. Without those factors Moda will not help you very much.

D

Deleted68316

Have you tried adderall? It's modafinil on steroids. I take it every day and it keeps me very motivated to get stuff done. I used to procrastinate a ton. In a week I've gone through all the GOLD threads on this forum.
It’s taking me more than a year to me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.