The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! My Candid Personal Story on Why You Can Never Take It Easy (An Ode to Discomfort)

fmob007

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 3, 2018
The most inspiring thread I’ve read for a long time.

I really needed it.
Thank you!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Student

New Contributor
Apr 17, 2021
On July 7, 1978, exercise fanatic Dave Kekich was working out in the gym like any other day. While training, he suffered a freak spinal cord injury. At the age of 35, it left him paralyzed from the chest down ever since.

His injury cost him everything.

He couldn’t engage in his favorite physical activities anymore. He suffered from serious depression. He lost a thriving business.

He spend the next two decades searching for a cure to be able to walk again, to no avail. He eventually devoted his life to identify and fund the world’s most promising anti-aging research, technologies, products and services.

Joe Polish from the Genius Network asked Dave to compile his life lessons. The resulting document, titled Kekich's Credo, offers 100 “success secrets” that have guided Dave’s life.

In the opening rule, he says:

People will do almost anything to stay in their comfort zones. If you want to accomplish anything, get out of your comfort zone. Strive to increase order and discipline in your life. Discipline usually means doing the opposite of what you feel like doing. (…)

In the fourth rule, he says:

(…) Life’s easy when you live it the hard way… and hard if you try to live it the easy way.

How I Went From Easy to Hard to Easy and Why "Easy" Doesn’t Work

I'm about to tell you a little bit of my life story and share more than I feel comfortable sharing. The reason why I'm doing it will be obvious by the time you finish reading this post...

The first time I read Kekich’s Credo, the two observations above resonated with me so much that I got addicted to making my life harder. I continuously expanded my comfort zone. I pushed my body physically and challenged my mind regularly, too. I treated it like the most important job in the world.

I learned how to overcome debilitating shyness through learning how to talk with women, public speaking, and performing some silly feats in social settings. This also helped me develop confidence in my business skills.

I overcame my fear of heights through rock climbing, hiking in high mountains, flying in a hot-air balloon and even skydiving. I was scared SHITLESS when doing the latter.

View attachment 37810
ABOVE: I'm not sure what was scarier. Sitting in a tightly-packed old rattling airplane with the door open as it gained altitude or jumping out of it? Both were a total horror. But I'm still glad I did it.

I overcame my fear of the unknown by traveling to exotic destinations like Oman, Kyrgyzstan, and Morocco, as well as climbing expeditions in Europe, and experiencing some crazy adventures there.

View attachment 37811

ABOVE: Multi-pitch climbing in Italy. We got lost during the route and had to climb through some sketchy terrain. Previously, I wouldn't even be able to stand on top of a cliff, let alone climb it.

I overcame my fear of open water by learning how to swim (now I’m a swimming coach), surf and even scuba dive. I was scared SHITLESS to do the latter, too.

View attachment 37809

ABOVE: My first scuba dive. It took me ages to gain courage to tumble backwards from the boat. I was THIS close to not doing it and just giving up. But that would set a bad precedent. And I wouldn't get to see another world.

I even overcame my deep hatred of cold weather and practiced winter swimming and surfing in temperatures as low as 3 degrees Celsius / 37 Fahrenheit.

View attachment 37808

ABOVE: Right before cold water immersion. Nothing to feel more invincible than suffering from extreme cold. The ice cut my feet but I didn't feel it since they were numb lol.

I got good at feeling comfortable despite discomfort, learning difficult things and engaging in physically- and mentally-demanding sports and various seminars like krav maga in terrorist situations:

View attachment 37806

ABOVE: Hostage situation simulation during a krav maga seminar. No better way to learn how to feel comfortable with discomfort than zip-tied, with a garbage bag on your head.

Eventually, with all the above things going on, I achieved my biggest life goals. And over time, I started taking it a little easier.

“It’s time to chill out,” I told myself. “Constant stress isn’t good for you,” I thought. After all, I had paid the dues already. You want to become financially independent to enjoy life, not to keep pushing.

I didn’t entirely rest on my laurels. I still pushed myself in sports. I still learned new things. But I was no longer as rigorous about it as before. I more often took the easy way out. I avoided discomfort when it could have helped me grow.

I started rationalizing why I wasn’t doing certain things by telling myself things like:
  • It's not my strength.
  • It's too stressful.
  • I’m past doing these things.
  • I should be kinder to myself.
  • This isn’t pleasant.
I made myself more comfortable, thinking this would help me live a stress-free life.

The joke is that a stress-free life is NOT the one where you don’t have stress. A stress-free life is the one where you can HANDLE whatever stress life throws at you. And the best way to learn how to handle stress is… you guessed it. Expose yourself to it, not hide yourself from it to “chill out.”

This applies BOTH when you’re pursuing your big goals as well as when you achieve them and can afford to "relax."

Ultimately, if you don’t know how to handle stress, you’ll STILL find a way to be stressed out—even when you cash out, move to a tropical paradise with swaying palm trees, free drinks, and a leisurely pace of life.

This doesn’t mean that if your daily job was living hell for you, now you should go back to it just to experience stress. It doesn’t mean that chronic stress is good for you. It doesn’t mean that you should purposefully destroy your life or keep suffering from terrible live conditions to have more stress. It doesn’t mean that life can’t be fun and needs to be filled with torment, either.

What you want in your everyday life is stress that’s voluntary, manageable and aligned with your goals. For entrepreneurs, this may mean exposing yourself to rejection, waking up early, pushing yourself physically, or studying difficult things. All. The. Time. Not just when you’re new to entrepreneurship but even (if not more so) when you gain more experience and assume you know it all.

Exposing yourself to this stress, voluntary or not, won’t be all roses, but it will make you sharper. And it won’t destroy your life quality. Quite the opposite. Constant growth keeps us vibrant, enthusiastic, and energized. Stagnation leads to boredom, apathy, and exhaustion.

I Finally Realized My Mistake

A few months ago I got interested in meditation. This led me to spirituality. This led me to becoming more aware of my everyday thoughts.

I recently noticed some alarming thoughts poisoning my mindset. I started justifying not doing things outside of my comfort zone with statements like: “I shouldn’t stress out so much again” or “I don’t like it.” But as I stopped interacting with discomfort as much as before, not only did I become complacent. I also started losing self-confidence. I also started making more excuses.

I was growing soft and weak thinking I was doing myself a favor.

To give you some examples…

I stopped tracking my caloric intake. This made me less aware of the amount of food I was consuming. My excuse was that it was stressful to deny myself food, let alone track it. As a result, I gained unwanted weight. One day as I looked at myself in the mirror, I absolutely hated how I looked. And that’s coming from a guy who’s obsessed about sports.

I stopped waking up at 5:30. Instead, I set the alarm for 6:30 only to hit snooze and get up an hour later. After all, it was stressful to wake up so early. And, I told myself, “I don’t have to wake up so early anymore. I’ve done that already in the past and paid my dues.” But in reality, because of sleeping late and getting up groggy, I was wasting my favorite part of the day.

I stopped exposing myself to adverse conditions. I taught myself that it was okay to back out when things got uncomfortable. Previously, I’d push even if it was extremely uncomfortable. Later, when I became supposedly "successful," I was fine giving up. Can you see what kind of a bad precedent it sets?

Inevitably, these weak behaviors affected my entrepreneurial life, too.

I started rationalizing my lazy business decisions by saying that, for example, I didn’t like social media so I shouldn’t use it to grow my business. Or that if I wasn’t good at something, I shouldn’t do it. (But I shouldn’t find another person to do it, either, because I wasn’t good at finding people to help me.)

As you can see, that's a perfect recipe for a vicious cycle.

Whatever new things I wanted to start, I had crippling doubts. Why? Because I was no longer comfortable feeling discomfort and doing it anyway. It had been a long time since I took expanding my comfort zone seriously.

That's when I realized something had to change.

I forgot what got me here: living my life the hard way.

I started counting calories again. I’ve already lost some weight and am on track to reach my goals by the summer. I feel better knowing I control my diet again, even though it’s not “stress-free” to weigh my food and track my caloric intake.

I started getting up at 5:30 again. The night I decided to start waking up early again, I naturally got up the next morning before the alarm clock. The firm decision alone was enough to bring back my old instincts. I now feel way better the moment I get up because I score a big win right when I start my day. Waking up at 5:30 after 8 hours of sleep gives me more energy than waking up at 7:30 after 9-10 hours of sleep. The harder option is easier.

I started exposing myself to adverse conditions again and pushing myself more physically. I now feel more confident in my abilities again, just because I’m yet again willing to endure discomfort if it means growth.

I started taking new risks in business and exploring new opportunities I didn’t feel comfortable with before. I feel like a complete beginner now and that’s great because it means I’m learning.

I have plans to do other new uncomfortable things like sleeping alone in the woods, mastering handstands (work in progress), as well as get good at marketing (my big weakness in business).

I also decided to publish this in-depth post along with some personal pictures even though I was nervous to do it. I knew that the message was more important than my discomfort so I had to put it out here.

Note that none of these things mean that my life is now terrible and filled with suffering. That's not what I'm proposing at all. My life is again filled with productive, fun challenges that may not always be pleasant but that are always rewarding. Before, when I was enjoying my hard-earned success thinking I was the shit, I was closed to these opportunities. I thought that since I was experienced, I was “better than that.” Now I'm just back to humbly inviting discomfort in my life and letting it be my teacher.

Deterioration or Growth—Your Choice

You may not enjoy suffering as you expand your comfort zone. But it’s this discomfort that pushes you ahead. It’s this discomfort that makes life interesting and creates rich experiences. Name one achievement in your life that makes you proud and I’m pretty sure it involved a lot of discomfort.

As Farnam Street’s article on entropy emphasizes, “for a change to occur, you must apply more energy to the system than is extracted by the system.” When you fail to apply continuous energy to improve your life, it inevitably goes toward disorder and disrepair.

Of course, over the long term we can’t prevent entropy as we have this thing called death. But why not pass through the time between your birth and death in a fun, rewarding, and meaningful way?

Whether you’re only beginning or are already a seasoned entrepreneur, remember that this journey never stops. Discomfort is the name of the game.

Life lived the hard way is what makes it engaging, satisfying, and also great for those around you as you inspire them with your strength and grit.

As for Dave Kekich, my other favorites of his are #27 and #62. I’ll let them speak for themselves:

27. The choice to exert integrated effort or to default to camouflaged laziness is the key choice that determines your character, competence and future. That critical choice must be made continually - throughout life. The most meaningful thing to live for is reaching your full potential.

62. If your purpose of life is security, you will be a failure. Security is the lowest form of happiness.

So there you have it, my ode to discomfort. Let it always be present in our lives regardless of our level of "success," for it makes life worth living. :)
Hello MTF,
I enjoyed reading your article. And I agree that life's discomforts are often blessings, in that they further your development as a human being. Without adversity, I believe that it would be impossible to become tough and fearless. In fact, the more adversity you go through, the tougher and more fearless you become.

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
Happiness is about growing, so I guess living the hard way is more likely to make you happy.

I'd say that living the hard way makes you feel okay regardless of the circumstances. So it's not so much about growth as about cultivating peace of mind no matter what's going on.

Great read! Especially loved the reminder about taking on VOLUNTARY stress. Makes so much sense to learn how to face discomfort at your own command, so that you are better prepared for it when it comes from external sources later on. With the pandemic making life simpler and easier, I've been debating lately if there was any purpose in continuously pushing myself to reach goals (and face rejection...ugh) in my side venture when I am now working from home at my day job and hardly ever facing real challenges. This post gave me some helpful new insight.

I'm glad to hear the post helped you. The great thing about voluntary stress is that you can always give up. This is good because it makes it an even greater exercise since there's always an easy way out. Obviously, the point is not to go there.

Awesome post @MTF - thank you.

Just wondered what the thinking (or emotion) behind previously not posting personal pics was?

I'm paranoid by nature conditioning.

The most inspiring thread I’ve read for a long time.

I really needed it.
Thank you!

Thank you for reading.

Hello MTF,
I enjoyed reading your article. And I agree that life's discomforts are often blessings, in that they further your development as a human being. Without adversity, I believe that it would be impossible to become tough and fearless. In fact, the more adversity you go through, the tougher and more fearless you become.

Adversity is also just another part of life. It's impossible to go through life without being exposed to all its sides.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Walked all day doing flyer drop offs in letter boxes, also added to my existing passive income source.

Fired me up haha.

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
Walked all day doing flyer drop offs in letter boxes, also added to my existing passive income source.

Fired me up haha.

That's great!

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
Last edited:

Black_Dragon43

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Apr 28, 2017
Eastern Europe
Goggins is ultra strict about this but it's still super relevant to this thread (as if he read it recently lol):
Hahaha!! Paradoxically, I think Goggins is exactly the guy who most needs some mindfulness. Some of the stuff he does is just crazy and pointlessly difficult!

DenisB

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Feb 3, 2021
I almost clicked off as I was too lazy to read it, but I'm glad I didn't. Great story, thank you for sharing!

Glargster

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 24, 2021
Brazil
Deterioration or Growth—Your Choice

You may not enjoy suffering as you expand your comfort zone. But it’s this discomfort that pushes you ahead. It’s this discomfort that makes life interesting and creates rich experiences. Name one achievement in your life that makes you proud and I’m pretty sure it involved a lot of discomfort.

Thanks for sharing your story, and for the lessons on deterioration and growth.

Also, thank you for the excellent reading sugestions!

It made my day better!

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
Hahaha!! Paradoxically, I think Goggins is exactly the guy who most needs some mindfulness. Some of the stuff he does is just crazy and pointlessly difficult!

I think he has relaxed a little bit these last few years so there's definitely some transformation going on. He probably chooses not to show it in videos, though.

I almost clicked off as I was too lazy to read it, but I'm glad I didn't. Great story, thank you for sharing!

Ha that's funny. Glad to hear you overcame laziness.

Thanks for sharing your story, and for the lessons on deterioration and growth.

Also, thank you for the excellent reading sugestions!

It made my day better!

Glad to hear that!

Yes! Stay hard or die hard!

Goggins would tell the Grim Reaper to go f*** himself LOL.

livetrue

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 27, 2019
Canada
Great post, and a good reminder.

Paul Graham from Y Combinator colloquially said a similar thing. Basically, if you're at a fork, and you have an easy choice, and a hard choice in front of you. 9/10 the hard choice will be the better decision.

This was true for me in my past. Always pick the high road.

Black_Dragon43

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Apr 28, 2017
Eastern Europe
I think he has relaxed a little bit these last few years so there's definitely some transformation going on. He probably chooses not to show it in videos, though.
Oh yeah? So you think he wants to go back to that fat loser he once was? You know what man... f*ck that! (<-- read it in Goggins' voice :rofl: )

Yes, perhaps. There is one book of Michael Singer's that I've been chasing down, but can't actually buy without paying more than the book in transport costs. It's this one: Three essays on universal law: The laws of Karma, will, and love: Michael A. Singer: 9780914374077: Amazon.com: Books

He wrote it when he was just 28 yo, and in it he discusses willpower, which is what I'm actually interested in atm. An interview between Goggins and someone like Mickey Singer would be very interesting imo.

Connor

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 2, 2012
South Carolina
Thank you for sharing! Definitely have gotten too comfortable with what I have in the last several years of my life, which is part of why I changed jobs two years ago (to get uncomfortable and grow personally & professionally). I just started counting calories yesterday to work off all the weight I've gained, so this hit home for me in multiple ways.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 30, 2017
Medford, OR
Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it and it spoke to me. I have been making some changes and trying to get back into the action phase. Your post provided a little kick in the a$$ for me.

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
Thank you for sharing! Definitely have gotten too comfortable with what I have in the last several years of my life, which is part of why I changed jobs two years ago (to get uncomfortable and grow personally & professionally). I just started counting calories yesterday to work off all the weight I've gained, so this hit home for me in multiple ways.

Good luck with the diet!

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it and it spoke to me. I have been making some changes and trying to get back into the action phase. Your post provided a little kick in the a$$ for me.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate it.

Security is the lowest form of happiness in life, but it is also the easiest, the entire country's middle class is sold on having it.

Unfortunately true. That's why countries decline just like overly comfortable people do.

You overcame a lot of stuff not many people would dream of going through. I hope to develop your tenacity too.

Thank you.

Hi Hellolin,
I agree with you. Security is for sissies. Life is short. Might as well go out with a blast!

A little bit of security in between new adventures is nice. :)

diegorueda

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 20, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
I've read your post with tears in my eyes @MTF .

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's a good call.

I've done a lot of uncomfortable things in the past, and still doing some of them, but in the past year or so I've been gradually going back to comfort.

I'm aware of it. But in my mind, I've had this thought of "I don't have the energy required to make the change." Or I find whatever excuse that sounds like a reason. And that's BS.

Thanks again for the reminder.

P.S. This makes me think how much we can help others when we share in honest, bold, and vulnerable ways.

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's a good call.

Thank you for reading!

I'm aware of it. But in my mind, I've had this thought of "I don't have the energy required to make the change." Or I find whatever excuse that sounds like a reason. And that's BS.

I can resonate with that. Then we start believing that to have the energy to make changes, we first need energy. But in reality, energy is often the result of taking that first step.

diegorueda

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 20, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
Then we start believing that to have the energy to make changes, we first need energy. But in reality, energy is often the result of taking that first step.

That's 100% true in my experience. I've never had more energy than when I was training hard and working hard. It's funny how it works, but it's the same as they say about motivation:

"Motivation follows action, not the other way around."

(I think MJ also say that in the books)

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 23, 2015
EXCELLENT and very inspirational writing, brother!

Congrats on writing that up and exposing yourself despite being uncomfortable about it. :clap::

I did go through the depressive phase of it. Only when I heard from fellow practitioners that it was still okay to engage in life that I now see how I can combine the spiritual side with the "worldly" life.

Would you mind explaining a bit more about that? The lesson you received/learned about being "still okay to engage in life".

I'm particularly interested in that because I (belive) recently passed through this phase when you get caught up too much in the spiritual side and avoid engaging in certain life experiences.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences about this.

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
EXCELLENT and very inspirational writing, brother!

Congrats on writing that up and exposing yourself despite being uncomfortable about it. :clap::

Thank you!

Would you mind explaining a bit more about that? The lesson you received/learned about being "still okay to engage in life".

Spirituality discerns between doing things out of the lower emotions to manipulate the world (fear, desire, greed, etc.) and things done out of the higher emotions without expecting anything in return (love, compassion, contribution). When we think that it means withdrawing from life, we don't practice "true" spirituality. We practice asceticism. And that's just another "wrong" way of going about life, thinking that by withdrawing from it we'll be okay.

Spirituality, at least the philosophy I follow, posits that the external world can't give us anything and we need to find it in ourselves. But it doesn't forbid you from giving to the world and interacting with it out of the higher emotions. Obviously, you can't just switch overnight and be purely motivated by love instead of money for example. But what matters is that you're practicing. And if you start avoiding life, you won't get as many chances to practice so it'll actually be a disservice to your spiritual growth.

Ultimately, spirituality should add to your experience of life. If it's taking away from it, then there's something wrong with how you approach it.

Feel free to reach out and I'll try to explain it better if that's still unclear.

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 23, 2015
Thanks brother, it's clearer now!

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Entrepreneur's Toolbox: Company Formation, Virtual Mailbox, Registered Agent, Remote Online Notary
This is a pretty cool service. We've had trouble finding good virtual mailboxes, so that is what...
MARKETPLACE 7 Days To Freedom: From Wantrepreneur/Wage Slave To Freelancer
I attended the live session, really loved it! It gives some useful and practical tips on how to...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Three things: 1. Discord Chat is open. Click here for free access. 2. New YouTube Channel...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
If there’s one thread I see repeated over and over again on the forum, it goes like this: “I...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...

Forum Sponsor

Over 100 Fastlane Students
More Details...

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom