The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Multiple LLCs or Just One

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

eGrizzly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I have an business (LLC) where I want to provide Digital Marketing, Cybersecurity, and E-Commerce. I've discovered that when going for vendor contracts that NAICS codes for Digital Marketing, Cybersecurity, and E-Commerce are all different.

Should I split my current LLC into 3 different LLCs so I can offer Digital Marketing in one, Cybersecurity in another, and E-Commerce on the third?

As always guys thanks for all your suggestions, tips, and comments.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Sandman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2022
The reason to split or not has nothing to do with the NAICS code. You split to limit liability across different businesses.
If you don't actually have any business yet you can wait and do it later. At this point what assets would you be protecting?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
0CC092AC-BAC9-40F4-84F4-26D9F87B9451.jpeg

Some company could hypothetically make you register in their system and could arbitrarily say “you can only have one NAICS code in our system” or something but I doubt that will happen and it would be company specific I’m assuming. You can offer multiple services without 3 LLC’s. And if you’re doing government contracting it’s okay.

Make sure it’s an S Corp if you start making 100k+ or so profit so you can pay yourself distributions without self employment taxes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Caminsky

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Dec 27, 2022
Texas
As mentioned by others, you shouldn't be limited by just one NAICS code. Often one might consider multiple LLCs if they are trying to limit liability exposure from one business to another. They may also do so if the functions of the different businesses are distinct enough to where it makes sense to keep them separate.

Some states offer "Series LLCs" where you can create multiple subsidiaries of an LLC without actually going through the whole formation process for each subsidiary or series. That said, there is still some debate regarding the limitation of liability and tax issues, especially when doing business in a state that does not recognize Series LLCs.

If you do decide to go with multiple LLCs, it's a good idea to make sure you genuinely treat them as separate businesses. Comingling assets and funds could be problematic if there is a lawsuit or tax issue.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.