The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Moving to Phoenix/Scottsdale this month

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Getting relocated for my day job. Anybody have any contacts for renting a house in the area? Getting email responses and returned phone calls is like hens teeth. Looking for a 2+ bedroom within 15-20 miles of north Scottsdale.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Look directly west of north Scottsdale. The 101 runs east/west along that path. West of 51, east of 67th Ave (Avenue, not street), and 2 miles north or south of the freeway.

Mostly decent areas that may be more affordable.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Thanks SteveO. Seems like anywhere in town is going to be quite the commute

Possibly but not necessarily. That’s why @biophase asked about work location. There are several nice options in the parameters you’ve given.

While I haven’t lived in Phoenix for 10 years, I go through there at least 5-6 times a year and if we ever moved back I would live as close to my office as possible. A daily commute through the city/suburbs will get old real fast.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Currently we live in a town of less than 200 people in Kansas. Work location is over by the Aquarium in north Scottsdale. May have found a place yesterday, just have to hear back. its a 20 minute commute with traffic. I could probably ride to work in 20 minutes.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Seems like anywhere in town is going to be quite the commute.

Work location is over by the Aquarium in north Scottsdale. May have found a place yesterday, just have to hear back. its a 20 minute commute with traffic. I could probably ride to work in 20 minutes.

I don't understand why you would say this. It makes it seem like there is no housing by your new office. Like your office is in the desert outside of town.

I live less than a mile from the aquarium. I don't understand how you can't find a place closer than 20 minutes away from your work. In a place like AZ, you can easily live 5 minutes from work. A 2br condo is not very expensive to rent.

What is your rent price range?

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
I'm cheap. My wife and I will be looking to buy in a year so we are keeping the costs low. The one we found that is willing to work with us being out of town is around $1200 a month. And for me going into work at 7 in the morning I don't think the commute will be too terrible. The main plan for us is to pay cash for a house in a year once we know where we want to live and what we need out of a house out there.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
$1200/mo will get you a 2br 1ba about 1000 sf less than 2-3 miles from that location. I assume you are looking in Tempe, Mesa or Chandler right now?

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Moved to Scottsdale (currently in the Old Town area) around 10 months ago from the east coast (NJ/NY area) - would be more than happy to answer any questions you have if you want to send a private msg or post it on here

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
The one we found that is willing to work with us being out of town is around $1200 a month.

Please be careful with this... we're a prime location for scammers & they LOVE people who can't come view the home first. I highly highly recommend not leasing anything site-unseen. If you're planning on buying a house in cash in the next few years, it's a small price to pay to rent an AirBnB for a month & look at rental options.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Looks like I'll be just west of old town area by a couple blocks

What are the cross streets. Something is just odd that you can't find anything in $1200 range near your work. Is your credit bad? Do you have a dog?

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Did my due diligence checking out the company in charge of the leasing for the property. Right near the Paiute elementary school. My job is over on Del Camino in the big industrial park. 7 miles isnt too far of a commute. My kid can walk to school and theres an after school program there as well.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Did my due diligence checking out the company in charge of the leasing for the property. Right near the Paiute elementary school. My job is over on Del Camino in the big industrial park. 7 miles isnt too far of a commute. My kid can walk to school and theres an after school program there as well.

I used to live at 68th st and Osborn. The neighbor is ok, not that great if you go a few blocks south to Thomas. You don’t happen to be leasing at Ciento condos?

I figured your work was in that new complex. I can see that from the backyard of my house. Also there’s a huge luxury car dealer in there and a big doggy day care.

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
How do you guys like Arizona? It was always a dream of mine to move from the cold and go to a warm place like Arizona. I have a friend who likes in Pheonix and he says its great except for the Summer which he says is unbearable, and uncomfortably hot. How do you guys find the summer?

Half of me wants to just take a trip there and if I like it look for a job and work it until I can come up with a fastlane idea.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
How do you guys like Arizona? It was always a dream of mine to move from the cold and go to a warm place like Arizona. I have a friend who likes in Pheonix and he says its great except for the Summer which he says is unbearable, and uncomfortably hot. How do you guys find the summer?

Half of me wants to just take a trip there and if I like it look for a job and work it until I can come up with a fastlane idea.

My wife and I love it. We’re down in Tucson now so not quite as hot as Phoenix but we lived in Phoenix metro about 10 years ago. I also grew up in New England so I’ve seen both sides.

My thoughts: summers out here are like winters in cold climates. You know it’s coming and you plan your activities accordingly. Unbearable is a strong word in my opinion. To me unbearable is 0 degrees and snowing where you literally can’t leave the house.

Also, the real heat is about 3 months generally with 9 beautiful months vs. cold climates typically getting 6 months of each.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
Not exactly on topic but why would you pay cash for a house instead of getting a mortgage?

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
We love AZ. I'm originally from Massachusetts and I cant stand snow or the cold.
As far as why I would pay cash for a house, Because thats how I have always handled things. If I cant pay cash, I cant afford it. This mind set has kept me out of debt that has sunk others. It requires more work on my part but i've gotten good at wheeling and dealing. I'll probably by a major fixer upper for around 100k and spend a year of sweat equity fixing it up. Prior to my tech work I was a General Contractor and cabinet builder so the physical stuff isnt an issue. Even if I have to get a mortgage it wont be for nearly the amount others will have. Growing up I watched my parents lose house after house because of misplaced priorities and debt. Not going to play the same games

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.